Was the Trade with Cleveland a smart one, I think so, do you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buffalo Billy Bison
    • Mar 2003

Was the Trade with Cleveland a smart one, I think so, do you?

I believe the Bills took Watkins b/c they felt they had their "go-up-and-get-it" WR in Williams and felt by trading Stevie Johnson they could secure back their 4th round pick they gave up to Cleveland! They have Robert Woods and Goodwin to go with Watkins covering all the receiver positions they would need at one time. Yes, they gave up their 1st rounder next year but don't forget they were willing to go all the way to the Houston's number one pick for the same player. With going up to the 4th pick in the draft they moved from a team (Bufalo) finishing 6-10 to where the team (Cleveland) picks with a 4-12 season.

I'm convinced the Bills will be picking somewhere in the middle of the pack next year with the improvements this off season! The general perception with Buffalo giving up their #1 pick is that they would be picking somewhere in the 1 to 10 spot in the 2015 draft. Personally I don't believe that! I think it will prove to be a great move and think the Bills will find first round talent with the 2nd round pick next year like they did this year with RT, Kouandjio!

I believe Whaley and staff did an outstanding job of drafting the players needed for the Bills to take the next step and leap towards the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. Whaley did what he had to do to bring excitement back to the fans in Buffalo!
    11-5 in 2020 and deep into the Playoffs!
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Was the Trade with Cleveland a smart one, I think so, do you?

Time will tell. Watkins was the only one I'd trade up for but a solid signing in Vet FA will have to replace the 1st round pick. Overall, I like the draft. The skill positions look deep on O. Lots of OL help arrived.

About time they tried something different.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Buffalogic
      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
      • Feb 2006

It's a good trade for us. If EJ doesn't work out and he needs to be replaced down the road, the team will still have nice playmakers for a new rookie QB. If he does work out then it's perfect.

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

It was aggressive and for that reason I love the move, oh and it didn't hurt getting Sammy Watkins one bit.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

I like it now. I hope I still feel that way a year from now.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

QBs make the WR so no.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
              • Aug 2013

It was completely crazy, but if we make the playoffs then I guess then it is worth it.

If we don't make the playoffs it is mostly a disaster.

I'm not confident we'll sniff the playoffs year, but I hope I'm wrong of course.

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

It was terrible. Chip Banks did not want to play here in the first place!

But it did help us land Jim Kelly.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                  It was terrible. Chip Banks did not want to play here in the first place!

But it did help us land Jim Kelly.
                  Did you mean Tom Cousineau, the LB the Bills drafted that refused to sign with the Bills?

The Bills traded his rights to the Browns & used the Browns draft pick to draft Jim Kelly.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                    Did you mean Tom Cousineau, the LB the Bills drafted that refused to sign with the Bills?

The Bills traded his rights to the Browns & used the Browns draft pick to draft Jim Kelly.
                    No. He means Chip Banks. He was originally traded to Buffalo.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Short term this trade isn't going to help the Bills as I can't see Sammy stepping in as a rookie and becoming our #1 WR. Perhaps in a few years he will. Yet short term because he won't be impactful it might lead to the Browns getting a pretty good extra 1st out of it and in turn get a pretty good player out of it. Yet the Browns haven't been a strong drafting team since re-entering the league so perhaps it will be another "Julie Jones" mistake on their behalf. As look back to our last true #1 WR Eric Moulds, he wasn't much to talk about in his first two years but a depth guy.

Comment

• Historian
                        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                        • Dec 2002

You seem to be really down on the organization this offseason Joker....why?

Comment

• Buffalogic
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                          Short term this trade isn't going to help the Bills as I can't see Sammy stepping in as a rookie and becoming our #1 WR. Perhaps in a few years he will. Yet short term because he won't be impactful it might lead to the Browns getting a pretty good extra 1st out of it and in turn get a pretty good player out of it. Yet the Browns haven't been a strong drafting team since re-entering the league so perhaps it will be another "Julie Jones" mistake on their behalf. As look back to our last true #1 WR Eric Moulds, he wasn't much to talk about in his first two years but a depth guy.
                          The league is different now. There is so much passing you can't use the rookie WR gauge of yester year. The Browns have one player on their team left from the 5 picks Atlanta gave them. Atlanta won that trade. We will win this one. Really, if I was a Cleveland fan I'd be way more pissed because they have a desperate need for receiver and the top guy falls into their laps and they trade it. So dumb.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            • Feb 2006

And which first round picks have the bills selected over the last ten years that you can honestly say, this person is irreplaceable? I can think of a borderline one. Dareus. That's it. People have the mindset that we are giving up eventual stars and over the last ten years, that simply is not true.

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                              He's our number ONE the second he steps on the field.

Is he an immediate impact player?

Hell yeah!!!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

Working...
                              X