PDA

View Full Version : Bills OL Averages 325 lbs. - Tops in the NFL

Night Train
05-21-2014, 11:11 AM
The Raiders are 2nd at 320 lbs.

When Whaley and Marrone said they wanted to go big on the OL, they weren't kidding.

These guys are huge and it will be interesting to see who makes our opening day roster. Hope it translates to more wins.

The last buffalo fan
05-21-2014, 12:37 PM
About time, hopefully that pan out!

casdhf
05-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Didn't we try this with Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker?

Buffalogic
05-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Didn't we try this with Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker?True but those were journeymen. The guys we have are youthful and not guys who have bounced around so they have more potential. Looks like a model from 90s Dallas.

GreedoII
05-21-2014, 01:00 PM

Dickless Jauron era is over man.....

Night Train
05-21-2014, 01:31 PM

The figurehead Marv and Dick Jauron era isn't a comparison at all. That was "throw crap at the wall" without any plan.

The turnover the last 14 months ( since the start of 2013 Free Agency ) has been far more than I imagined with this new regime of the 2 Doug's. Shows how bad the makeup of this team was and these guys are all in and hardly worried about their fate.

I like what they've done and year 2 hopefully shows the arrow moving North. They had so many weak units that suddenly look healthy with real talent and depth.

Now the only real question is QB. Manuel has been helped immensely by his GM aquiring talent and must produce.

Saratoga Slim
05-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Funny - Langston Walker is the comparison I've been worrying about for Cyrus K. Big and lumbering.

EDS
05-21-2014, 02:25 PM
The Raiders are 2nd at 320 lbs.

When Whaley and Marrone said they wanted to go big on the OL, they weren't kidding.

These guys are huge and it will be interesting to see who makes our opening day roster. Hope it translates to more wins.

Two long time losers have the biggest offensive lines. Sure to be a recipe copied league wide.

Meathead
05-21-2014, 03:02 PM
well doug is the oline guy so i assume they know what they are doing. then again, i assumed they knew what they were doing when then didnt hire a qb coach when i thought they should so whotf knows

bigger certainly isnt automatically better, especially in todays nfl that emphasizes the pass over the run. all other things being equal youd like bigger but all other things are never equal - its hard to find big guys that can move like smaller guys and have the same endurance. how is this massive line going to perform in dougs superfast tempo offense? can they scoot laterally fast enough to make pulling plays work?

idk. again, they had to discuss all this before going humongous, right? just like they had to discuss not getting a qb coach for the desperately important rookie qb selection, right?

better days
05-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Two long time losers have the biggest offensive lines. Sure to be a recipe copied league wide.

If they both start winning, you can bet your ass they will be copied.

DesertFox24
05-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Well I am hoping Cryus is more like Glenn than Walker.

And I am hoping Cyril is more like Nix than Dockery.

bottom line is the bills want to be able to run the ball and impose their will and to be honest I love it. I love smash mouth football and then sprinkle in the play action and other stuff. That is how the Pats did it with a young brady and the Seahawks and 49ners do it today. We have that type of defense just need the OL to dominate.

I know you guys have seen it but nothing is worse than seeing your team run on at will, it is the most demoralizing thing that can happen as a fan.

swiper
05-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Dickless Jauron era is over man.....

He had the best coaching record in Buffalo in the past 15 years.

OpIv37
05-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Big is good, can they move?

They need to be able to beat stunts and pull on sweep plays.

YardRat
05-21-2014, 05:20 PM
I am really hoping for these guys to become a solid, cohesive unit and start running people over, and keeping the QB upright. Looking forward to having at least four solid starters out of five positions, and listening to Op ***** about how "Urbik blows, this front office sucks, they never do anything to try to address the offensive line".

OpIv37
05-21-2014, 05:23 PM
I am really hoping for these guys to become a solid, cohesive unit and start running people over, and keeping the QB upright. Looking forward to having at least four solid starters out of five positions, and listening to Op ***** about how "Urbik blows, this front office sucks, they never do anything to try to address the offensive line".

You shouldn't be complaining about me. You should be complaining about the FO for never getting it right. But, people like you insist on making it about me simply because I offered an opinion that you didn't like and justified it better than you did.

The Jokeman
05-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Funny - Langston Walker is the comparison I've been worrying about for Cyrus K. Big and lumbering.
Walker was a solid RT he only got cut when we made the mistake of switching him over to LT after the Peters trade.

GreedoII
05-22-2014, 07:35 AM
He had the best coaching record in Buffalo in the past 15 years.

LOL

cookie G
05-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Walker was a solid RT he only got cut when we made the mistake of switching him over to LT after the Peters trade.

In the 2 years he played RT here, he gave up 5 sacks and had 4 holding calls..

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=5939

In 2008, the Bills were 2nd in the league in running behind RT...7th in running behind right end.

The $5 million a year he was getting was about in line for that type of production for a RT.

Moving him to LT was setting him up to fail. People who called him a "bust" really didn't watch him play.

cookie G
05-22-2014, 11:02 AM
But anyway..its fine to have a huge line, but every college team, and even many high school teams, have 300+ lb. I'd bet more than half of the Div I programs have at least one guy that is over 330...

Finding the big fatty isn't the issue. Finding guys that know how to use their power, have functional strength and agility, is the issue.

It isn't so much that they are big...

we drafted 2 guys that were 1st team All Americans at their positions.

Both have shown the ability to pass protect at a high level. Both have shown the ability to hold a pass rusher off for 4 + seconds.
Both have definitely shown the ability to move a similar sized man from point A to point B.

That's what it comes down to.

There is a risk with each...but the ceiling for both is awfully high.

Mr. Miyagi
05-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Now the only real question is QB. Manuel has been helped immensely by his GM aquiring talent and must produce.
If Marrone could win with Nassib, he could easily win with EJ.

The last buffalo fan
05-22-2014, 01:22 PM

The experts will tell us "this is pro football!" "Not in the NFL!" "EJ sucks!", etc. in just 5, 4, 3, 2, ...... go!

TigerJ
05-22-2014, 03:15 PM
True but those were journeymen. The guys we have are youthful and not guys who have bounced around so they have more potential. Looks like a model from 90s Dallas.Agreed. With Dockery and Walker, the Bills tried to take a short cut to size, and sacrificed athleticism in the process. The present administration has been taking its time, and has been building it mostly through the draft. Last year, Legursky was a stopgap. Chris Williams was a bit of insurance against the possible failure to get a starting guard in the draft. He'll be better than Legursky, and if Cyril Richardson needs to get coached up, Buffalo should be OK with Williams. I believe the line has become more athletic at the same time it's gotten bigger. Very impressive, what the Bills have done.

The Jokeman
05-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Winning in the NCAA and winning in the NFL are two totally different things. See Nick Saban.

better days
05-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Winning in the NCAA and winning in the NFL are two totally different things. See Nick Saban.

See Pete Carroll.

stuckincincy
05-22-2014, 04:55 PM
See Pete Carroll.

See the mess he left at USC.

better days
05-23-2014, 07:59 AM
See the mess he left at USC.

He won at USC, Mess or not.

justasportsfan
05-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Big is good, can they move?

They need to be able to beat stunts and pull on sweep plays.

Agreed. Size means nothing if they move like elephants.

psubills62
05-23-2014, 12:17 PM
But anyway..its fine to have a huge line, but every college team, and even many high school teams, have 300+ lb. I'd bet more than half of the Div I programs have at least one guy that is over 330...

Finding the big fatty isn't the issue. Finding guys that know how to use their power, have functional strength and agility, is the issue.

It isn't so much that they are big...

we drafted 2 guys that were 1st team All Americans at their positions.

Both have shown the ability to pass protect at a high level. Both have shown the ability to hold a pass rusher off for 4 + seconds.
Both have definitely shown the ability to move a similar sized man from point A to point B.

That's what it comes down to.

There is a risk with each...but the ceiling for both is awfully high.
Pretty much. If it was all about being big, we would have drafted a 400-pound Michael Jasper and started him instead of the team asking him to drop his weight.

Reality is that all three of these guys are high-level athletes. Henderson needs to find consistency on the field and the others obviously have some questions marks, but these guys aren't just simply big.