PDA

View Full Version : Tom Golisano to bid on the Bills

Skooby
05-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Tom takes the lead with another owner / business partner.

Turf
05-21-2014, 09:17 PM
If he gets the team we can forget resigning our star players or getting big free agents. I would prefer someone that has a burning desire to win, not buy.

Goobylal
05-21-2014, 09:26 PM
As long as he doesn't hire Darcy Regier as the GM...

WagonCircler
05-21-2014, 11:11 PM
Link?

BADTHINGSMAN
05-21-2014, 11:18 PM
links:

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=403385
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3445740.shtml?cat=565
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10967082/tom-golisano-intends-bid-buffalo-bills

Skooby
05-22-2014, 06:43 AM
If he gets the team we can forget resigning our star players or getting big free agents. I would prefer someone that has a burning desire to win, not buy.

Like Pegula ?

Novacane
05-22-2014, 06:51 AM
Not my first choice

GreedoII
05-22-2014, 07:33 AM
As long as he doesn't hire Darcy Regier as the GM...

Larry Quinn is the guy that needs to stay away. He is a POS

Jan Reimers
05-22-2014, 07:39 AM
As long as Golisano leaves Whaley and his scouts/personnel guys in place, I have no problem with him. He'll keep the team in Buffalo, which is my number one criterion in a new owner.

Turf
05-22-2014, 07:46 AM
Like Pegula ?

Pegula's not guilty of that. If anything he's too loyal.

Skooby
05-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Pegula's not guilty of that. If anything he's too loyal.

We have the worst team in the NHL under his watch, so I'd just as soon pass on him unless he's just an investor.

WagonCircler
05-22-2014, 09:32 AM
We have the worst team in the NHL under his watch, so I'd just as soon pass on him unless he's just an investor.

He's building a team composed of #1 & #2 draft choices throughout the organization and has made tangible, major improvements to Downtown Buffalo.

Just STFU.

doug45
05-22-2014, 09:33 AM
I think he would do a great job as an owner.

Ed
05-22-2014, 10:33 AM
I didn't know he was dating Monica Seles. That's kind of weird. Would she take over the team when he passes away?

Golisano's probably not my first choice either, but he's certainly not my last.

The Jacobs family is probably my first choice right now.

Skooby
05-22-2014, 10:35 AM
I didn't know he was dating Monica Seles. That's kind of weird. Would she take over the team when he passes away?

Wasn't Monica stabbed by a crazed German fan ?? That Monica Seles.

Ed
05-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Wasn't Monica stabbed by a crazed German fan ?? That Monica Seles.
That's what wikipedia says so it has to be true.

Skooby
05-22-2014, 10:53 AM
That's what wikipedia says so it has to be true.

Hmmm....well you know you can take her to play tennis at the club.

Goobylal
05-22-2014, 11:16 AM

And about 9 years ago, people were saying Jacobs would be a horrible owner because of how bad the Bruins were.

DetDannyWilliams
05-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Don't have to worry about Quinn this time around I don't think, as he was just elected to the Buffalo Public Schools board

Ginger Vitis
05-22-2014, 03:15 PM
I didn't know he was dating Monica Seles.

Before Tom Monica was dating Paul Allen.. She must have a thing for Billionnaires

Skooby
05-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Before Tom Monica was dating Paul Allen.. She must have a thing for Billionnaires

I'm not saying she's a gold-digger......

BillsImpossible
05-22-2014, 08:09 PM

Why exactly do you think he's a turd?

Please be specific.

When TG owned the Sabres, they made the playoffs 4 out of 6 years, and would have won the Cup if somebody didn't have a voodoo doll for every Sabres defenseman.

GreedoII
05-23-2014, 07:42 AM

Please be specific.

When TG owned the Sabres, they made the playoffs 4 out of 6 years, and would have won the Cup if somebody didn't have a voodoo doll for every Sabres defenseman.

Yet on the cusp of taking the Cup he decides not sign his players and break the team up. Yeah great.....

Historian
05-23-2014, 07:55 AM
He's building a team composed of #1 & #2 draft choices throughout the organization and has made tangible, major improvements to Downtown Buffalo.

Just STFU.

This is a fair point.

Truth be told, he's actually cleaning up the Golisano mess.

Goobylal
05-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Yet on the cusp of taking the Cup he decides not sign his players and break the team up. Yeah great.....
Drury told the team he wouldn't re-sign because he wanted to play for the Rangers. Briers was a mistake, but wouldn't have led to them winning the Cup.

GreedoII
05-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Drury told the team he wouldn't re-sign because he wanted to play for the Rangers. Briers was a mistake, but wouldn't have led to them winning the Cup.

I don't mind TG. Just keep Quinn away

justasportsfan
05-23-2014, 01:52 PM

thats a possibility but on the flipside, bills will make playoffs and make money which could keep the bills in buffalo.

Mace
05-23-2014, 09:47 PM

Please be specific.

No offense but this is really ridiculous. If you even paid half a moment's attention to the Sabres, he was an egotistical witless know it all who inserted himself into everything, and I'm not even going to bother providing you with links you should have had half a clue about if you were paying the least attention. If you weren't paying attention you should know better than to ask. The man built a great stadium on time once, and assumes it made him some sports guru, and recently was elected to the school board, because his kids went to school he figures he now understands the buffalo school system though none of his kids went to buffalo public schools and he only meets the vaguest requirements for living in the general seaboard. He will never admit how witless he is and drive ahead surely in in his ignorance, waving stupid like a banner, as he has before, because you will take it and like it for he is Larry Quinn and knows better.

And I don't even politically oppose him. Just like google and read up past a page or 2.

better days
05-24-2014, 02:14 AM
This is a fair point.

Truth be told, he's actually cleaning up the Golisano mess.

The Golisano mess?

The Sabres were BANKRUPT & on the verge of leaving Buffalo forever when Golisano bought them.

Golisano put the Sabres back on the right track. Got them out of bankruptcy.

In the 6 years he owned them, they made the playoffs 4 years.

He then sold the Sabres to Pegula with the stipulation they not be moved.

I hope the next Bills owner does as well.

Skooby
05-24-2014, 06:59 AM
The Golisano mess?

The Sabres were BANKRUPT & on the verge of leaving Buffalo forever when Golisano bought them.

Golisano put the Sabres back on the right track. Got them out of bankruptcy.

In the 6 years he owned them, they made the playoffs 4 years.

He then sold the Sabres to Pegula with the stipulation they not be moved.

I hope the next Bills owner does as well.

Now the Sabres are the worst team in the NHL, hopefully the new owner does better than the worst.

Goobylal
05-24-2014, 07:09 AM
Now the Sabres are the worst team in the NHL, hopefully the new owner does better than the worst.
New owner? Pegs is the last owner the Sabres will have. He will pass the team to his kids and so on with the stipulation they never be moved.

BertSquirtgum
05-24-2014, 11:59 AM

I prefer someone who is going to keep the Bills in Buffalo no matter what. Many idiots seem to forget the Sabres made the playoffs with Golisano as the owner 3 of out the 8 years he owned them. The team stunk when he bought them.

Dr. Who
05-24-2014, 12:48 PM

It's relatively easy to be mediocre in the NHL. If you want to be really good, you need two or three elite players and quite a few next level. The Sabres decided (rightly in my view) to be really bad for a number of years in order to accrue elite talent in the draft. If you do this well, you can be really good and a Cup contender for six to eight years. In determining the quality of a team, you have to include the talent in the pipeline, because hockey is more like baseball. You have to develop talent before it generally appears at the top level.

In short, the Sabres are on a rational path to being a good team. It is short-sighted to simply declare them the worst team in the NHL. It would be much worse to be mediocre bad with no logical plan to get significantly better.

whkfc
05-24-2014, 01:46 PM
How bout Tpegs? Any word on his interest or lack of in the Bills?

BertSquirtgum
05-24-2014, 06:07 PM
How bout Tpegs? Any word on his interest or lack of in the Bills?

Probably the most likely to buy them because he's the least we hear about. For him, it would be a genius business decision to add a new Bills stadium within walking distance to his sports complex in Downtown, IMO. It's usually the people you don't hear anything about that end up buying teams because they don't want the media ****ing things up for them.

Crisis
05-24-2014, 06:16 PM
The amount of people who are happy with the Sabres being perpetually mediocre is pretty staggering. At least the team has a bright future now.

Skooby
05-24-2014, 06:27 PM
The amount of people who are happy with the Sabres being perpetually mediocre is pretty staggering. At least the team has a bright future now.

Well, we can only get better.

kishoph
05-25-2014, 03:10 PM

Under Golisano the Sabres kept most of their "star players" and came just short of making the finals in 06. For a man that saved the Sabres franchise when they were in deep ****, Golisano has always received a bad rep. Working with Larry Quinn and Darcy Regier, put him behind the 8 ball from the get go. I wouldn't mind having Golisano at all as the Bills owner, there could be many worse options.

better days
05-25-2014, 05:10 PM

I think it is more that the Sabres are still in BUffalo, mediocre or not that makes people happy.