• Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Trade-up for Watkins discussed

Was trading up for Sammy Watkins worth it? History says no
    By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com May 22, 2014 11:56 am ET

Article about the pros and (mostly) cons of trading up in the draft...feel free to follow the usual M.O. and call the author names.

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: Trade-up for Watkins discussed

Basically, Watkins not only has to outperform the rest of very deep, talented wide receiver draft class, but do it at such a level that makes it worth giving up a high-round selection in next year's draft, too.

this is why i would have preferred they didnt make the deal. i mean i think they HAD to do the deal given the ownership situation, but i still wish they hadnt. watkins has to be super-good for this to work out in the bills favor. he might end up being that guy and that would make it the correct move. however, its just a lot more likely they could have got better overall value by staying where they were and taking someone like evans or whatshisname the TE and save next years first

water under the bridge now. nappy better be right
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Nothing is wrong with this article. It's opinion.

I still like the trade in what seemed like a promising off-season. The Bills viewed a ceratin unique talent which presented opportunities to use him in different looks.

The argument against is saying the Bills could have stayed put and had Beckham Jr... as if he's the exact same player in talent, size, ability etc. That logic never works.

If Whaley/Marrone had their focus on Watkins as a player who would benefit Manuel more than the others for some time prior to the draft, then they did their job. I care more about the present, not 2015.

The old way didn't move us up in the win column.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
        • Jul 2002

Sometimes trading up for a receiver can be a good thing. In 1985 the 49ers traded up from 28 to 16 to get some small school receiver. The 49ers gave up picks 28, 56 and 84 for picks 16 and 75. They regretted it. They, of course, are the NE Patriots who dropped down 12 spots and took Trevor Matich with pick 28 after they traded the pick that the 49ers used on Jerry Rice.

Contrary to a bunch of cooked up theories by the authors who are against trade ups, I'm always in favor of trading up rather than trading down unless the team is 99% positive that the player they want will still be there when they draft at the lower position (like the Bills did last year). The main reason why I'm so much more in favor of trading up: You know who the player is that you are trading up for. In most cases, a trade down is a pig in a poke-You don't know who will be left on the board when you pick. If you are confident in your scouting-and if you're not you shouldn't be a GM-then when you trade up, you should always have an advantage because, as I just stated, you know the player you're getting.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
          Sometimes trading up for a receiver can be a good thing. In 1985 the 49ers traded up from 28 to 16 to get some small school receiver. The 49ers gave up picks 28, 56 and 84 for picks 16 and 75. They regretted it. They, of course, are the NE Patriots who dropped down 12 spots and took Trevor Matich with pick 28 after they traded the pick that the 49ers used on Jerry Rice.

Contrary to a bunch of cooked up theories by the authors who are against trade ups, I'm always in favor of trading up rather than trading down unless the team is 99% positive that the player they want will still be there when they draft at the lower position (like the Bills did last year). The main reason why I'm so much more in favor of trading up: You know who the player is that you are trading up for. In most cases, a trade down is a pig in a poke-You don't know who will be left on the board when you pick. If you are confident in your scouting-and if you're not you shouldn't be a GM-then when you trade up, you should always have an advantage because, as I just stated, you know the player you're getting.

Agreed. Plus trading down means you're open to multiple players at different positions, since your needs are numerous.

The Bills had solved a lot of their depth issues via FA,trade or draft the last 2 years. Since they made a commitment to Manuel for another 1-2 years, they focused on the best playmaker available in the draft. The overall depth on paper now looks acceptable.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

Obviously I hope it works out and I have been very very reluctant to criticize the move because I think I understand the reasons it was made.

But the article pretty much confirms what I've always thought about the draft. I was hoping we'd trade down not up. What's done is done. The article does concede that despite the odds it could still work out in our favor. Have to remain hopeful.

Comment

• Mahdi
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Night Train View Post

I still like the trade in what seemed like a promising off-season. The Bills viewed a ceratin unique talent which presented opportunities to use him in different looks.

The argument against is saying the Bills could have stayed put and had Beckham Jr... as if he's the exact same player in talent, size, ability etc. That logic never works.

If Whaley/Marrone had their focus on Watkins as a player who would benefit Manuel more than the others for some time prior to the draft, then they did their job. I care more about the present, not 2015.

Actually Beckham is a very similar receiver to Watkins. Not at the same level in college but very similar traits. Both are RAC guys, both are hands catchers, both extend well for the ball outside their bodyframe, both are valuable on KR/PR. Both are not very tall WRs.

It will be interesting to see who has the better rookie year.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

I think you missed the point.

They never said we could get the exact same player at 9. They said the difference between what we could have gotten at 9 and Watkins is far less than what we paid to move up.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mightysimi
                  Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                  • Mar 2010

Watkins had 100 receptions for almost 1500 yards and 12 TD's in SEC against the best competition who I assume would have been gameplanning for him specifically. AJ Green had in his best season like 60 receptions for maybe 1000 yards and under 10 tds. I'm not saying that Watkins will be Green or better than Green but the article says:
                  But while Watkins was generally considered the best wide receiver in the draft, he wasn't an otherworldly talent in the mold of Calvin Johnson or A.J. Green
                  How can they know that? Looking at the numbers I don't see how that argument can be made already. The article also assumes that it will be a high 1st round pick. History indicates that this is probably right but way too early to tell.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

I don't mind trading up. But I'm against giving up 1st round picks for any player. The reason is simple: there are too many uncertainties in football that you could wind up really stinking it up; then you could miss a potential Andrew Luck type of guy.

This has to be an organizational rule. If I were an NFL team owner, I'd let my GM calling all shots directly except for 1) trade away 1st picks and 2) handing out biggest contract for any position - I'd need explanation for those 2 type of cases.

The Bills, from Brandon on and down, are in a unique situation this year. Instead of giving up two additional picks this year, they gave the Browns next year picks for obvious reasons. As a result, #1 pick next year had to be included.
                    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 05-23-2014, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                      Watkins had 100 receptions for almost 1500 yards and 12 TD's in SEC
                      Watkins played in the ACC which in IMO was the 3rd best conference in college football not too far behind the SEC

Comment

• mightysimi
                        Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                        Watkins played in the ACC which in IMO was the 3rd best conference in college football not too far behind the SEC
                        Haha I was thinking ACC and typing SEC. Either way those stats aren't anything to scoff at.

Comment

• Turf
                          • Jul 2002

In order for this move to work, Watkins has to be a unique talent, one of those guys that comes around every 5 years. Obviously Whaley feels that he is and is banking on it. Time will tell.
                          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Not really. It didn't say it was a bad move it said the stats say that it's a long shot to work out to the Bills advantage based on a statistical analysis of draft history. Past history isn't opinion it's fact.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

So you went back 30 years to find the one example where it worked out. In that span, how many times did a trade up bite a team in the ass?

It's using the exception to prove the rule.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X