PDA

View Full Version : More positive thoughts. "The Bills Won't Go Hollywood..." (or to Toronto)

WagonCircler
05-24-2014, 10:25 PM
While's there's nothing new here, there are some things strongly reinforced, and from what seem to be new sources. A great read:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-wont-go-hollywood-because-timing-is-wrong-for-nfl-team-to-return-to-la-20140524

Four well-placed sources The Buffalo News spoke with about the Bills’ long-term status were skeptical the NFL would dare upset Cuomo and Schumer and permit the team to leave Western New York.

The NFL isn’t in the business of flouting political juice. Cuomo could run for president in 2016. Schumer is the popular, third-ranking Senate Democrat. To let the Bills leave would cause the NFL, with its headquarters in Manhattan, to lose those influential allies and practically beg for added scrutiny on controversial issues.

The NFL has been fighting multibillion-dollar concussion litigation and last week was sued by eight former players for recklessly supplying and administering painkillers.

And what if Schumer woke up one morning and decided to hold hearings about the NFL’s antitrust labor exemption, a hard-to-believe nonprofit status or the FCC’s controversial blackout rules?

“The NFL doesn’t want to risk upsetting the political structure,” Parks said. “The league is facing critical issues. They don’t want to litigate these things.

“In many ways, they’re like the old Mafia. They just want to make money and don’t want to do anything that will disrupt that.”

Skooby
05-25-2014, 12:32 AM
Roger is from the area as well, these implied threats are tiresome & the league needs to realize that many political events flow from the state including political issues. It's not likely to see another president from CA or anywhere outwest as well.

feldspar
05-25-2014, 03:18 AM
I only have one thing to say on the matter:

**** 'em

BuffaloRedleg
05-25-2014, 04:20 AM
It was a small chance anyways. No investor is that stupid that they would take a chance on LA vs the guaranteed money (and room for growth) in Buffalo.

You'll notice the people around here who always fear-mongering are ones who have never actually lived in the city.

It would be PR nightmare nowadays to move the team. As much as I hate social media, it has leveled the playing field in a lot of ways.

better days
05-25-2014, 04:55 AM
That article says pretty much the same thing I have been saying on this board for a LONG time.

pmoon6
05-25-2014, 06:02 AM
Roger is from the area as well, these implied threats are tiresome & the league needs to realize that many political events flow from the state including political issues. It's not likely to see another president from CA or anywhere outwest as well.Hmmmm. Seems like you have an innate ability to read articles/posts and regurgitate the content.

Oh and what does "many political events flow from the state including political issues" actually mean?

The Popcorn
05-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Schumer will do everything to keep the Bills in Buffalo. He's a slimeball but a smart one. He's the guy to have at bat for you in this case.

YardRat
05-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Yeah, Schumer will pull the anti-trust trump card in a millisecond.

ParanoidAndroid
05-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Hmmmm. Seems like you have an innate ability to read articles/posts and regurgitate the content.

Oh and what does "many political events flow from the state including political issues" actually mean?

It means it's 1:30 AM an he's drunk. I took a peek out of curiosity.... He may be drunk all the time because the Toronto/Buffalo shared stadium in Niagara Falls idea was posted at 11:30 on a Wednesday.

Dr. Who
05-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Leave him alone. He's harmless, really, and at least he wants the Bills in Buffalo like all true fans.

ParanoidAndroid
05-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Leave him alone. He's harmless, really, and at least he wants the Bills in Buffalo like all true fans.

Agreed. You are right, of course.

BillsImpossible
05-25-2014, 02:23 PM
After reading that article, I am now convinced that the Bills will never leave Buffalo.

Great read, and does a great job of summing up the situation.

“You’ve got to be good,” Long said of Los Angeles fans. “I’m not as sold on the idea that – like in Buffalo, where fans are so emotionally connected with their city – they will be there through the lean times.”