PDA

View Full Version : Bills still have 10 mill in cap space

X-Era
05-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Thats after Stevies 10.225 in dead money.

I anticipate a late vet add still.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Goobylal
05-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Extension.

better days
05-25-2014, 08:27 AM
Like a vet QB perhaps?

X-Era
05-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Like a vet QB perhaps?
Won't happen. Personally I don't want it too. Thad is a legit backup and I don't want to prolong finding out if EJ is the answer by running a QB carousel with a vet considered to be able to start if EJ stinks for a few games.

I want EJ to get the full year. And if he isn't the answer then move on.

DesertFox24
05-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Hopefully we start extending guys like Dareus and spiller

better days
05-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Won't happen. Personally I don't want it too. Thad is a legit backup and I don't want to prolong finding out if EJ is the answer by running a QB carousel with a vet considered to be able to start if EJ stinks for a few games.

If EJ stays healthy, I agree with you.

But what happens if he gets injured again?

You would really be happy putting a playoff ready team in Thad's hands?

BuffaloRedleg
05-25-2014, 04:44 PM

If we had our #1 next year I'd agree with you.

Mr. Pink
05-25-2014, 04:46 PM
None of that money will be spent on anyone.

Novacane
05-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Hopefully we start extending guys like Dareus and spiller

Spiller hasn't proved he deserves an extension.

- - - Updated - - -

You would really be happy putting a playoff ready team in Thad's hands?

What are our other options at this point?

Novacane
05-25-2014, 05:59 PM
None of that money will be spent on anyone.

Ralph is cheap!

sudzy
05-25-2014, 06:19 PM

Yes, let's put all of our apples and any chance of ending this playoff drought in an injury prone otherwise unproven QB's basket. Why would we want a plan B on a pretty solid team everywhere else when the front office pride is on the line?

IlluminatusUIUC
05-25-2014, 06:47 PM
I'm OK with adding a vet qb, but who? Brady Quinn might actually be the best available option right now. I'd rather stick with Thad.

YardRat
05-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Doesn't have Watkins, KuJo or Cockrell accounted for.

YardRat
05-25-2014, 07:02 PM
I'd be surprised if they sign anybody, unless they are planning on clearing some more space (*cough*Pears*cough*)

YardRat
05-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Manuel and Woods counted about $2.5mil against the cap in their rookie season, FYI.

Crisis
05-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Team is getting ready for the Golisano bid by not spending up to the cap.

clumping platelets
05-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Need DL depth

X-Era
05-26-2014, 07:46 AM

You would really be happy putting a playoff ready team in Thad's hands?Yes.

Not because I want to lose games but because the flip side is a bigger issue to me... EJ stays healthy but plays mediocre or poor for a few games and the other guy gets the nod and takes away opportunities to find out if EJ is the answer. I want to know if EJ is the long term solution as soon as possible. QB carousels would kill that and prolong the answer.

That trumps winning games with a solid starting backup QB over having a chance to win with Thad if EJ gets injured.

X-Era
05-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Yes, let's put all of our apples and any chance of ending this playoff drought in an injury prone otherwise unproven QB's basket. Why would we want a plan B on a pretty solid team everywhere else when the front office pride is on the line?
Because a QB carousel won't be any better with said journeyman never done much backup. Plan B will be to move on from EJ if he proves he's not the guy.

X-Era
05-26-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm OK with adding a vet qb, but who? Brady Quinn might actually be the best available option right now. I'd rather stick with Thad.
Really just that easy.

better days
05-26-2014, 07:51 AM
- - - Updated - - -

What are our other options at this point?

I would expect some team to cut a vet QB in camp after they see what their Rookie QB can do.

But I can't really say anyone will be better than Thad.

Ed
05-27-2014, 10:26 AM
I don't know if I'd even bother trying to add anyone else at this point. Just roll it into next year. With our lack of draft picks next season, it would be nice to have as much spending power as possible for free agency.

Goobylal
05-27-2014, 11:03 AM
I don't know if I'd even bother trying to add anyone else at this point. Just roll it into next year. With our lack of draft picks next season, it would be nice to have as much spending power as possible for free agency.
From what I've read, the Bills will have $50-55M in cap room next year.

The last buffalo fan
05-27-2014, 11:27 AM

They better spend that money on the new stadium!

stuckincincy
05-27-2014, 12:12 PM

:dance2:

Fletch
05-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Thats after Stevies 10.225 in dead money.

I anticipate a late vet add still.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

And they got rid of Stevie for a 4th rounder that they never do anything with in this "the future is now" mode why now?

Once again, things not adding up at OBD. It's like common core math. Eventually you get the right answer, but only after doing 20 times the work. By then a few seasons have passed.

Raptor
05-27-2014, 05:06 PM
What they should do: Extend a couple current talented players whose deals are up in the next two years

What they will do: Nothing and sit on it

Goobylal
05-27-2014, 06:06 PM
And they got rid of Stevie for a 4th rounder that they never do anything with in this "the future is now" mode why now?

Once again, things not adding up at OBD. It's like common core math. Eventually you get the right answer, but only after doing 20 times the work. By then a few seasons have passed.
So because they traded a guy who they don't really care for because they think he will be a bad influence on the younger guys, and who had a down year with just 52 receptions for 597 yards and 3 TD's, the Bills aren't trying to "win now"? Mike Williams, when healthy (an issue with Stevie) is no worse a receiver than Stevie, Woods is in his 2nd year, and Watkins is supposed to be a stud. Then you have Goodwin who will also be in his 2nd year, and Chandler.

X-Era
05-28-2014, 05:38 AM
That would almost buy enough seats for all of Tom Brady's boyfriends... almost.

YardRat
05-28-2014, 05:56 AM

Maybe they are preparing to make a free agency splash at QB if EJ doesn't pan out. Any viable candidates becoming available next off-season?

GingerP
05-28-2014, 06:13 AM
Maybe they are preparing to make a free agency splash at QB if EJ doesn't pan out. Any viable candidates becoming available next off-season?

Colin Kaepernick, though it is extremely doubtful he is allowed to reach FA.