• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Cuomo beginning Buffalo Bills stadium posturing

New York State's governor says a new Buffalo Bills stadium should be privately financed, even though he knows that will never happen in entirety.

Frankly, it's surprising it took New York State governor Andrew Cuomo this long to advocate for private funding. At NFL meetings last week, several league owners made it known that a new stadium was key to keeping the Buffalo Bills in Western New York. Now, Cuomo says the Bills - and not the taxpayers of New York State - should pay for it.

"If we had to go to a new stadium, my opening position would be, ‘great. New stadium. Privately financed.' I agree that the less government money, the better - if we had to go in that direction in the first place," Cuomo told The Buffalo News.

As part of his posturing, Cuomo sought any way to defend the withholding of state money. Even though it's flimsy, the governor brought up other areas of the state.
    "Other parts of the state say ‘how about us?' There's an equity argument," Cuomo said.

"But if it was essential, I would support it," Cuomo concluded. "Now, the devil is in the details. Where? How much? It's not just government money. It would be private money, also."
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Cuomo beginning Buffalo Bills stadium posturing

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bill...g-andrew-cuomo

Frankly, it's surprising it took New York State governor Andrew Cuomo this long to advocate for private funding. At NFL meetings last week, several league owners made it known that a new stadium was key to keeping the Buffalo Bills in Western New York. Now, Cuomo says the Bills - and not the taxpayers of New York State - should pay for it.

"If we had to go to a new stadium, my opening position would be, ‘great. New stadium. Privately financed.' I agree that the less government money, the better - if we had to go in that direction in the first place," Cuomo told The Buffalo News.

As part of his posturing, Cuomo sought any way to defend the withholding of state money. Even though it's flimsy, the governor brought up other areas of the state.
    "Other parts of the state say ‘how about us?' There's an equity argument," Cuomo said.

"But if it was essential, I would support it," Cuomo concluded. "Now, the devil is in the details. Where? How much? It's not just government money. It would be private money, also."
    I don't know the details but does Cuomos so called "equity" include a brand new stadium in the Meadowlands?

The Bills should have a vested stake in the new stadium I agree. How much? I don't think it should be 100% Bills money. The state and county should also have a significant stake.

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

It's time the rotting apple does something for us, for a change.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Its all talk for now, I don't think he's going to stop the only stadium in NYS from actually being built knowing the jobs, revenue, and economic development it will bring.

That being said if he's looking at a 16, 20, or 24 run at the White House he may be a pain in the ass, to show people he's not just a big government spending machine.

There are a couple unique factors at play that will be interesting to watch.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bill...g-andrew-cuomo

This part pissed me off!

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

How many NFL team actually play in NY ?? 1, that's right 1. The Bills are the only NY NFL team, so lets not act like the Bills are a dime a dozen. Much of WNY's money flows east to pay for NY City projects, like that really pricey waterline, well send money west to pay for the Bills.

Comment

• OLDSRIP
              • Dec 2008

How much did NYS contribute to the NJ stadiums? Anyone know?

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

It should be financed by all private money.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                  • Sep 2003

I'm pretty sure NYS kicked in at least $200M or so for the Yankee's new stadium, plus tax breaks.
                  "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                    It should be financed by all private money.
                    Not sure you'll ever see that again.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch View Post
                      I'm pretty sure NYS kicked in at least $200M or so for the Yankee's new stadium, plus tax breaks.
                      Mets too.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Apparently MetLife cost 1.6 bill and was 100% privately funded:

Comment

• X-Era
                          • Feb 2005

Yankee stadium was 1.3 bill with 450 mill paid equally by the Yankees and NYC taxpayers and the rest from an MLB revenue sharing pool:

NYC.com information, maps, directions and reviews on Yankee Stadium and other Venues in New York City. NYC.com, the authentic city site, also offer a comprehensive Arts & Attractions section.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                            Apparently MetLife cost 1.6 bill and was 100% privately funded:

http://www.metlifestadium.com/stadium/about-us
                            There was something else about that deal that escapes me know that made that a bit of a misnomer claim. It was entirely privately funded but I think they received some crazy deal on taxes and land or something like that.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

I think it will be both privately and publicly funded.

Met Life had a huge advantage in that they sold PSLs to both Jets and Giant fans. That sure helped. I have to think PSLs will be part one small part of any new stadium to help finance it. The question is will Bills fans be willing to incur a one time cost for the right to buy seats. They can sell those PSLs when they no longer want season tickets but the PSLs depreciates over time.

Comment

Working...
                              X