• Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Brandon chimes in on Watkins pick

Bills CEO: Trading up for Watkins not about impressing new owners
    By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com May 27, 2014 10:36 am ET

"History says that the Bills gave up too much to land wide receiver Sammy Watkins with the No. 4 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. But team CEO Russ Brandon said that decision had nothing to do with making a good impression on whomever takes over ownership of the franchise in the wake of Ralph Wilson's death.

"It has nothing to do with the future," Brandon told NFL.com's Judy Battista. "It is everything about the future is now."...

Full article:

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Brandon chimes in on Watkins pick

The more I think about it, the more this wreaks of a Tom Donahoe "I'm smarter than you" move.

The consensus is that Watkins is a great player but we gave up too much for him. Yeah, right now it's all speculation from draftniks and sports reporters, and speculation can be- and often is- wrong. But it is rarely wrong when there is this much consensus from so many varied sources.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
      The more I think about it, the more this wreaks of a Tom Donahoe "I'm smarter than you" move.

The consensus is that Watkins is a great player but we gave up too much for him. Yeah, right now it's all speculation from draftniks and sports reporters, and speculation can be- and often is- wrong. But it is rarely wrong when there is this much consensus from so many varied sources.
      How the hell is this a smarter than you move? The smarter than you move would of been to deal up to take Evans over Watkins. Not deal up to take the best offensive skill position player in the draft.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mightysimi
        Buckle me in on the highway of sin
        • Mar 2010

Or trading back into the first round for a fourth round QB.

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Heh - Brandon's (grammatically incorrect) "It is everything about the future is now." reminded me of former 'Skins HC George Allen and his quote, "The future is now." And his so-called "Over the Hill" gang:

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
            How the hell is this a smarter than you move? The smarter than you move would of been to deal up to take Evans over Watkins. Not deal up to take the best offensive skill position player in the draft.
            It's a "smarter than you" move because
            A) history shows that trading up in the draft rarely if ever pays off and
            B) it's a "win now" move despite the fact that history shows that a WR alone- even a great one- rarely if ever puts a mediocre team over the top.

It goes against historical reality in not one but TWO ways. And the "win now" mentality shows that the Bills'brass thinks more highly of the current roster than pretty much EVERYONE ELSE, save a few homers on this board.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Smarter than you would be bringing in another Maybin or Whitner.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

B) it's a "win now" move despite the fact that history shows that a WR alone- even a great one- rarely if ever puts a mediocre team over the top.

It goes against historical reality in not one but TWO ways. And the "win now" mentality shows that the Bills'brass thinks more highly of the current roster than pretty much EVERYONE ELSE, save a few homers on this board.
                So what if it's a win now. You were all about the redskins way and whined about how we did nothing while the fins signed FA's left and right only to be swept by Thad. You're arguing with yourself again.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                  Those were picks that went against the consensus too: everyone knew Orakpo was better than Maybin and no one thought Whitner deserved to go that high. Turns out everyone was right and the team was wrong. I think that's where we are ye again.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                  Those were picks that went against the consensus too: everyone knew Orakpo was better than Maybin and no one thought Whitner deserved to go that high. Turns out everyone was right and the team was wrong. I think that's where we are ye again.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

My BIGGEST issue with this being called a WIN NOW move is that most WRs don't produce significant stats in their rookie years unless 1)The rookie is the only guy on his team and they have no one else to throw to (see Keenan Allen) or 2)The rookie has amazing abilities and playing with another great talent at the position (see Randy Moss). Yet truth be told most WRs take a full 3 seasons before living up to their potential. Watkins might be an exception though something tells me he won't as he doesn't grade out as an impact WR when look at his combine numbers. I've said it before but short term I hate this move but if in three years Watkins can put up Torrey Smith 2014 numbers then I'll be pleased but if we're clearly playing for 2014 I think this move was foolish.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                      Escaped Convict
                      • Jul 2002

Who cares what that idiot says.

Dead career walking.

He is on his 14th minute of fame.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Those were picks that went against the consensus too: everyone knew Orakpo was better than Maybin and no one thought Whitner deserved to go that high. Turns out everyone was right and the team was wrong. .
                        exactly. Everyone thought Orakpo was better but Jauron thought he was smarter thus drafting Maybin .
                        I think that's where we are ye again.
                        wait, you use EVERYONES consensus in the Maybin situation, yet consensus is Watkins is the best receiver and by some other people the best player in this years draft and that consensus doesn't apply all of a sudden?

WRONG! "thats where we are yet again " would be drafting a player against the consensus.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

i agree, watkins alone most likely will not the bills any better than they were,

but the gamble is that EJ was dealt a crappy hand with injuries and delivered a respectable rookie year stat line. if you believe that he has the ability to step up and he gets the support of an excellent WR and he can make an excellent WR look great with catchable passes that can be turned into big yards, the bills will get better very quickly.

if they believed they got EJ wrong and that he's a dud, then this move made no sense.

It is a balls out type gamble to make and believe in your convictions. i think whaley is making hte right choice. the question to me is coaching. can the defense stay as good as it was last year and turn the corner into lights out top5-10 defense. Can it carry a team to wins? and can hackett put a fairly decent team on paper in a position to succeed. that's out of whaley's hands. that's in marrone's. hopefully he's up to the challenge.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

More recent evidence with a trade up for a stud WR worked out pretty well in Atlanta.

Win now has nothing to with "smarter than you".

The two most recent examples of top flight WR trades up dont agree with your historical argument (Julio and Austin) and you don't know what mentality they have you only know the PR fluff they put out. The truth is if Watkins is a player tomorrow or in three years doesn't make a bit of difference. All that matters is that he produces and I like his odds.

You're trying to force yourself to find new ways to dislike this team.
                            COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post

You're trying to force yourself to find new ways to dislike this team.
                              This is what OP is all about!
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X