PDA

View Full Version : Any of you Brave bashers out there wanna take on the challenge?

WG
07-16-2003, 11:04 AM
BFO challenged me to rank Bledsoe amongst other NFL QBs. But when asked what the criteria was "we" came up empty. He may have posted it somewhere in the meantime, if so I missed it.

Nevertheless, I wrote a piece defending Jerry Gray and the play of the D and in it had to berate the play of the offense and Drew in particular since there's a chasm between reality and perception for why the Bills won games last year among other things.

Meanwhile, I get bashed for standing up for Gray, the D, the D players, and Henry in the past as if "how dare I take credit away from Drew that's 'already been assigned' to him." Appropriately or inappropriately.

So the challenge is this. I'll rank where I think Bledsoe rates if someone can give me a criteria for it. It has to be a criteria that all QBs can be rated against and one that is objective yet fair and considers most if not all aspects of a QB's play.

Any takers?

Then I'll put my list of all QBs in this league that I think are better/worse.

Ebenezer
07-16-2003, 11:06 AM
answer my question first, the same one I've asked for almost a year...

If not Bledsoe, who would be the QB of your football team?

Michael82
07-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Travis Brown! :snicker:

Ð
07-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Bring back RJ

Bring back RJ

Novacane
07-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Why bother Wys.......................we know you will have him 25 or lower. We got the point a long time ago.........you don't like him.

TedMock
07-16-2003, 01:10 PM
Wys, you're losing it you know that?. I'm just curious as to what you have in mind. Rating, TD's, Int's, Comp%, Yards, Sacks.... Streaks? Or you can look at intangibles or other attributes such as accuracy, decision making, arm strength, leadership, consistency etc... I'm not up for the challenge myself simply because I don't think he's as good as some give him credit for or as bad as you say at times. I think that individual stats are a small part of what makes a ballplayer. Baseball's different, stats actually tell you what happened seeing it's the most "individual" of the team sports. Football, Basketball and Hockey can't be accurately judged that way. TD's, Sacks, Fumbles, Completions etc... are all partially due to the performance and/or lack of performance of your OL, RB's, TE's and WR's. They can pad your stats in one game and ruin them in another. Play calling on both sides of the ball effect what you're doing as well. So I'm out on that front. I know your feelings so I'm curious to see what somebody else may challenge you to.

Dozerdog
07-16-2003, 01:21 PM
WysCoastfin rankings are pre determined? GET OUT!

LtBillsFan66
07-16-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

:rolleyes: He needs to know what "criteria" first. ;)

Earthquake Enyart
07-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Why do you think the QB rating number is so complicated?

If it were easy, women would do it. :eek:

Maybe Rush can help us out with this one.

MDFINFAN
07-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Okay Wys, I'm not scared, I like Drew so I'll provide the Criteria.

1. Arm strength
2. Ability to see the field (make audibles, catch blitzes, read D's, etc.) I think you get the picture.
3. Mobility
4. Leadership
5. Passing ability
6. Mental toughness
7. Passing Accuracy--short ball, medium ball, deep ball
8. Play fake ability
9. Speed to get in position to make throw, ie. 3 step 5 step. and 7 step drops. Does his abilities allow him to make these throws without a lot of pressure on his OL.
8. Quick Release, able to get ball out of his hand, once he makes up his mind where he's going to throw.
9. Savvy..ability to confuse D. whether he's going to pass or run..looking off main recievers when throwing, execution of plays, etc.
10. Based on when you got Drew, who could you have gotten who was better? Rate the available qb's at that time who were better than Drew.

LtBillsFan66
07-16-2003, 01:56 PM
Yeah, what MDFINFAN said.

LtBillsFan66
07-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Am I leaving anyone out of my top 15? It's a little tricky to judge from 10 on. I have DB at #9 in the league. Meaning they are the only 8 I would want instead of Drew. Including Vick, who (I may be alone here) I think is way overhyped.

D. McNabb, PHI
R. Gannon, OAK
P. Manning, IND
C. Pennington, NYJ
B. Favre, GB
B. Johnson, TB
J. Garcia, SF
Tom Brady, NE
D. Bledsoe, BUF
K. Collins, NYG
M. Brunell, JAC
T. Green, KC
M. Vick, ATL
S. McNair, TEN
M. Hasselbeck, SEA

Earthquake Enyart
07-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Wys wants to crunch numbers. :rolleyes:

All the things you list are subjective.

LtBillsFan66
07-16-2003, 02:22 PM
:rofl:

Bulldog
07-16-2003, 02:32 PM
BF1, I agree with most of the selections on your list except B. Johnson and P. Manning. Manning is a good QB, but when I watch the Colts play, I often find myself questioning his desire. Sometimes it just seems like he gives up. Not what you want out of arguably the most important position on the field. And B. Johnson's best year was when he was with the Redskins. I just woulden't put him that high on my list.

LtBillsFan66
07-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Points well taken.

For some reason I think Manning is much better than he has shown at time. A little bias on my part...

I give Brad Johnson points (see wys you can't find this stat) for leadership and toughness.

It's tough to actually list. However, I don't think it's hard to admit ( admit in wys case) that Bledsoe is a top 10 QB in the NFL.

HenryRules
07-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Why do you have to have someone else's criteria to make your own list? That makes no sense at all to me ... if someone else provides the criteria, then the list of top-10 QB's would be their list, not yours.

Nighthawk
07-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Wys likes to hear himself speak! I think we should come up with a criteria for why we don't want to hear Wys bit*h anymore about Bledsoe!

SABURZFAN
07-16-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
WysCoastfin rankings are pre determined? GET OUT!

:lolcry:

SABURZFAN
07-16-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
Wys likes to hear himself speak! I think we should come up with a criteria for why we don't want to hear Wys bit*h anymore about Bledsoe!

i think that i'll bring that up in the next Ostrich Club meeting.:snicker:

MDFINFAN
07-17-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Wys wants to crunch numbers. :rolleyes:

All the things you list are subjective.

But those things are what scouts look at, numbers are a result of them.

MDFINFAN
07-17-2003, 12:36 AM
BTW Wys, where's my results? I gave the criteria, now I want the answers.

WG
07-17-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

How many QBs are there who didn't make 18 turnovers in 7 of our keyest games?

Blake didn't! How 'bout him?

Laugh if you want to, but the fact is that w/o all those TOs we win some of those games! So any QB not making them, eh!

Simple. As well, I've said this numerous times in the past and you and others keep poo-pooing it on the basis of "how on earth could lowly Blake play better than Drew?!" Well, he did last year if you don't use yardage as your only measure. He also did so w/ not even a fraction of the talent that Drew had at his disposal.

Seems to me if Drew needs two all-pro WRs, an all-pro RB, a HOG-like OL to win games, then he really isn't as good as many say he is, eh.

Thanks for putting up a criteria. I know you're all afraid and it's clear as to why. B/c the second the criteria becomes such inane indicators as yardage and attempts, the emporer is revealed w/o his clothes on.

I keep arguing facts, and everyone who argues the contrary throws up opinions based on falty information, weather reports that didn't exist, and defensive play that couldn't be further from the truth!

WG
07-17-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Travis Brown! :snicker:

Laugh away, but I'll tell you now, if Brown has to come in for Bledsoe, no one will want Drew back. For two reasons, b/c hardly any QBs will make the mistakes Drew makes and b/c Brown can move and would do better in this O. His arm appears to be more than adequate.

I dare say we'd have won more games w/ VP starting last season.

WG
07-17-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
Why bother Wys.......................we know you will have him 25 or lower. We got the point a long time ago.........you don't like him.

Criteria?

The one saying "why bother" should be me! I know you wouldn't dare state a criteria b/c you know the truth!!!

A criteria would be objective!!! I can't reinvent stats for last year.

WG
07-17-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by billsfanone

:rolleyes: He needs to know what "criteria" first. ;)

None of the ones that I've used have been satisfactory!

Thus my asking you guys!

I find it hilarious that no one can even think of one that would objectively rate Drew as high as some of you make him out to be!

It's comical. Just more nonsense!

SABURZFAN
07-17-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Laugh away, I dare say we'd have won more games w/ VP starting last season.

we'll laugh at that at the next Ostrich Club meeting.

WG
07-17-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Why do you think the QB rating number is so complicated?

If it were easy, women would do it. :eek:

Maybe Rush can help us out with this one.

OK then, why don't you do this!

Tell me according to which criteria Drew rates favorably! Then I'll list all the others that the rest of NFL analyists consider worth a turd, and we'll compare?

I can suggest some since everyone has all of a sudden forgotten what makes NFL QBs good;

How about third down efficiency?
TDs scored?
TD/Yardage ratio?
Lack of TOs?
Lack of Sacks? Oh, sorry! I forgot, that was only important when RJ was here! It's irrelevant now! Sorry! :rolleyes:

We're told by the same people in this thread that our D sucked b/c of it's lack of takeaways and sacks, right!

So then it should stand to reason that giveaways and sacks yielded should be equally important on the other side!

Nahhhh... That would be to take our head outta the sand! :D

WG
07-17-2003, 04:00 AM
Am I leaving anyone out of my top 15? It's a little tricky to judge from 10 on. I have DB at #9 in the league. Meaning they are the only 8 I would want instead of Drew. Including Vick, who (I may be alone here) I think is way overhyped.

D. McNabb, PHI
R. Gannon, OAK
P. Manning, IND
C. Pennington, NYJ
B. Favre, GB
B. Johnson, TB
J. Garcia, SF
Tom Brady, NE
D. Bledsoe, BUF
K. Collins, NYG
M. Brunell, JAC
T. Green, KC
M. Vick, ATL
S. McNair, TEN
M. Hasselbeck, SEA

What's your criteria other than your own personal judgement there BFO???????

You honestly don't think that if we had Vick, McNair, Brunnell, Collins, or Green last year that we wouldn't have made the playoffs?

That's insane. Not one of those QBs played as poorly as Drew did and not a one of them had the talent around them that Drew did by a LONG shot!

WG
07-17-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog
BF1, I agree with most of the selections on your list except B. Johnson and P. Manning. Manning is a good QB, but when I watch the Colts play, I often find myself questioning his desire. Sometimes it just seems like he gives up. Not what you want out of arguably the most important position on the field. And B. Johnson's best year was when he was with the Redskins. I just woulden't put him that high on my list.

All I know is that there's likely not another QB in the league who put up 18 Turnovers in 7 of their teams losses!

WG
07-17-2003, 04:02 AM
Points well taken.

For some reason I think Manning is much better than he has shown at time. A little bias on my part...

I give Brad Johnson points (see wys you can't find this stat) for leadership and toughness.

It's tough to actually list. However, I don't think it's hard to admit ( admit in wys case) that Bledsoe is a top 10 QB in the NFL.

You at least made your criteria clear...

"...I think..."

WG
07-17-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Why do you have to have someone else's criteria to make your own list? That makes no sense at all to me ... if someone else provides the criteria, then the list of top-10 QB's would be their list, not yours.

BFO originally told me that Drew was a top QB.

I asked him based on what criteria!

He still hasn't told me, neither have you, nor anyone else, how they rate QBs to make Drew rate so high!

I'm just curious how you all completely ignore tons of turnovers and sacks and 3rd down woes in order to jump Drew to the head of the line! Throw in that in his career he sucks in the playoffs and is horrendous v. teams over .500 and I have no idea how he even rates close to top 10!

I can give you my rankings, but what's the point. You've dissed the basis for them numerous times. So I'm just trying to get a handle on one of two things: what the criteria is that places him up there so much that can be used for all QBs as well as on a game-by-game basis, or two, what it is that y'all are smokin'!

WG
07-17-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Nighthawk

Throwing in the towel so easily...

That was quick! ;)

:D

Originally posted by SABURZFAN

i think that i'll bring that up in the next Ostrich Club meeting.:snicker:

Indeed!

Do you guys come up for air at those meetings, or are they conducted underground?

WG
07-17-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by MDFINFAN
BTW Wys, where's my results? I gave the criteria, now I want the answers.

Sorry MD! I was waiting for one of the Ostrich Club members to post a criteria! I guess they are all female ostriches... :D

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
Okay Wys, I'm not scared, I like Drew so I'll provide the Criteria.

1. Arm strength
2. Ability to see the field (make audibles, catch blitzes, read D's, etc.) I think you get the picture.
3. Mobility
4. Leadership
5. Passing ability
6. Mental toughness
8. Play fake ability
9. Speed to get in position to make throw, ie. 3 step 5 step. and 7 step drops. Does his abilities allow him to make these throws without a lot of pressure on his OL.
8. Quick Release, able to get ball out of his hand, once he makes up his mind where he's going to throw.
9. Savvy..ability to confuse D. whether he's going to pass or run..looking off main recievers when throwing, execution of plays, etc.
10. Based on when you got Drew, who could you have gotten who was better? Rate the available qb's at that time who were better than Drew.

1. Arm strength: 9+ Drew's is tops!

2. Ability to see the field (make audibles, catch blitzes, read D's, etc.) I think you get the picture.: 4 Drew's errors are a result! He's a poor 3rd-down-decision maker. Thus all the red zone TOs and ridiculous INTs like that one to Buchanon!

3. Mobility: LOL 1+ He has none. If he has a tremendously open field, he can make a run, but it's like watching a D-9 dozer get up to speed. Painful. Real life is slow-motion!

4. Leadership: On field politics, 10. Performance, 4.

5. Passing ability: ability? Define that. Otherwise, great deep ball, 20-yard out. Fair to poor short/medium game. That's where most of his critical INTs come from.

6. Mental toughness: Mental toughness, 9! Mental soundness, 3.

7. Passing Accuracy--short ball, medium ball, deep ball: SB: 3, MB: 6, DB, 9.

8. Play fake ability: 7

9. Speed to get in position to make throw, ie. 3 step 5 step. and 7 step drops. Does his abilities allow him to make these throws without a lot of pressure on his OL.: 3 step he's awful! 5 step he's better but not great. 7 step is his best but a luxury in the NFL these days! Drew is a classic 5-7 step pocket passer! He needs a B+ or better line or he'd be awful. Hopefully we won't find out how awful this season w/ no depth outside of Price.

8. Quick Release, able to get ball out of his hand, once he makes up his mind where he's going to throw. Yeah, "once he makes up his mind..." LOL That's the issue when his primary isn't open. 7

9. Savvy..ability to confuse D. whether he's going to pass or run..looking off main recievers when throwing, execution of plays, etc.: 3 D's have him pegged and have for years. The only reason he started strong last year is b/c we played what ended up being all 18th or lower ranked Ds in the first 6 games and b/c teams did not know what to expect early on. If he has to go to his secondary and for sure his tertiary WR, that's when the mistakes occur.

How about "ability of the D to confuse him?" That's a 10!

Again, any QB who doesn't make the errors he makes. We won perhaps three games on his "passing savvy" last season. We lost 4 or 5 almost exclusively based on his inability to react quickly and play w/o turning the ball over 2, 3, or 4 times in very key situtations and ones leading our opponents to points.

I'm not saying that Blake is our future, but he was available, he beat some of the same teams that Bills media speak says we only won b/c of Drew, yet, Blake did it w/ what for talent around him? Nada!

Like I said, I think Van Pelt would have won us at least the 8 games we won and probably another one or two simply by virtue of not making errors. See, that's part of the problem, most folks don't seem to think that 3 TOs/game coupled w/ 3 or 4 sacks on average w/ a fumble for a loss every other game is significant. How can they if they think Drew is that good?

If you want to know what my solution is, it would have been to sign Blake and compete Blake and Brown.

This season, if you ask me, we should compete the position as well dependent upon how Brown plays in preseason. I think that given the reps w/ the first team, Brown will do well. I'm curious to see if GW gives Brown the opportunity and the potential for controversy by allowing much of that.

I realize competing them won't happen, but I gotta tell ya, if Drew starts off like he finished last season, I wouldn't hesitate to put Brown in if he plays well in preseason.

A team is just that, it's a team. Yet most of the fans and most people here act as if Drew is the team's savior when that couldn't be further from the truth practically speaking. It can only be that way in fantasy world filled with emotionalism.

We don't have luxury of starting this season off w/ other teams not having a clue as to what we are doing. No matter how you slice it, we may run more, but I'll guarantee you right now that it won't be as much as we should. Teams know we're gonna throw Drew. They also know, the good teams that is, that if they're patient and pressure him, it'll net them 7-20 PPG which will overcome quite a bit of bad defensive play.

WG
07-17-2003, 04:37 AM
Funny, I was just looking over that post, and what hit me is that I rated him highly for the most part in the deep game. But when you consider it, 80-90% of the passing game from a #-of-plays perspective, is a short-medium game.

I suppose that's why he has limited utility in today's NFL. Drew may have been better in the '80s, IDK.

As well, I have some criteria that are more objective that I would use than what you listed. I just answered yours.

SABURZFAN
07-17-2003, 04:45 AM

Do you guys come up for air at those meetings, or are they conducted underground?

that's Top Secret information that i can't reveal.

WG
07-17-2003, 04:48 AM
I'm at Drew's "splits" page at ESPN now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?statsId=2359

Check these splits out:

In Win
In Loss

Games 1-8
Games 9-16

Vs. Division (also consider that 3 of those 8 were in 1 game)

1st and 10

Ahead (Doesn't seem to play well when ahead leading to an inability for the Bills to bury teams we should have burried in the first half or third Q thus leaving them in games they shouldn't be in; aka Houston, Detroit, Chicago, S.D.)

All the "Ahead By"s

2 WR sets seems to be problematic

Again though, I think the most telling thing about Drew's play last season was that he tossed up 15 INTs and 3 additional FUMs LOST in only 7 games, games that happened to be our toughest games. If he plays like that, we'll simply never win anything! That should concern anyone hoping that the Bills will win a division title, challenge for the conference title, and have shot at the SB.

WG
07-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

that's Top Secret information that i can't reveal.

LOL

I'm sure...

Just like you can't reveal a criteria for evaluating QBs in the league...

WG
07-17-2003, 04:51 AM
'Mornin' SABURZ!!!

I've been up since midnight after going to bed at 10. I think I'll mosey on back to bed now and let the feast on the boards commence while I'm indisposed! :D

Plus, I only have about an hour and a half before my two year old little Bills fan wakes up...

SABURZFAN
07-17-2003, 04:52 AM

Just like you can't reveal a criteria for evaluating QBs in the league...

i would but your response would put me to sleep after the first 1000 words.:snicker:

SABURZFAN
07-17-2003, 04:54 AM
'Mornin' SABURZ!!!

I've been up since midnight after going to bed at 10. I think I'll mosey on back to bed now and let the feast on the boards commence while I'm indisposed! :D

Plus, I only have about an hour and a half before my two year old little Bills fan wakes up...

don't ask me to tuck you in.good night.:biggrin:

TedMock
07-17-2003, 08:56 AM

Sorry MD! I was waiting for one of the Ostrich Club members to post a criteria! I guess they are all female ostriches... :D

1. Arm strength: 9+ Drew's is tops!

2. Ability to see the field (make audibles, catch blitzes, read D's, etc.) I think you get the picture.: 4 Drew's errors are a result! He's a poor 3rd-down-decision maker. Thus all the red zone TOs and ridiculous INTs like that one to Buchanon!

3. Mobility: LOL 1+ He has none. If he has a tremendously open field, he can make a run, but it's like watching a D-9 dozer get up to speed. Painful. Real life is slow-motion!

4. Leadership: On field politics, 10. Performance, 4.

5. Passing ability: ability? Define that. Otherwise, great deep ball, 20-yard out. Fair to poor short/medium game. That's where most of his critical INTs come from.

6. Mental toughness: Mental toughness, 9! Mental soundness, 3.

7. Passing Accuracy--short ball, medium ball, deep ball: SB: 3, MB: 6, DB, 9.

8. Play fake ability: 7

9. Speed to get in position to make throw, ie. 3 step 5 step. and 7 step drops. Does his abilities allow him to make these throws without a lot of pressure on his OL.: 3 step he's awful! 5 step he's better but not great. 7 step is his best but a luxury in the NFL these days! Drew is a classic 5-7 step pocket passer! He needs a B+ or better line or he'd be awful. Hopefully we won't find out how awful this season w/ no depth outside of Price.

8. Quick Release, able to get ball out of his hand, once he makes up his mind where he's going to throw. Yeah, "once he makes up his mind..." LOL That's the issue when his primary isn't open. 7

9. Savvy..ability to confuse D. whether he's going to pass or run..looking off main recievers when throwing, execution of plays, etc.: 3 D's have him pegged and have for years. The only reason he started strong last year is b/c we played what ended up being all 18th or lower ranked Ds in the first 6 games and b/c teams did not know what to expect early on. If he has to go to his secondary and for sure his tertiary WR, that's when the mistakes occur.

How about "ability of the D to confuse him?" That's a 10!

Again, any QB who doesn't make the errors he makes. We won perhaps three games on his "passing savvy" last season. We lost 4 or 5 almost exclusively based on his inability to react quickly and play w/o turning the ball over 2, 3, or 4 times in very key situtations and ones leading our opponents to points.

I'm not saying that Blake is our future, but he was available, he beat some of the same teams that Bills media speak says we only won b/c of Drew, yet, Blake did it w/ what for talent around him? Nada!

Like I said, I think Van Pelt would have won us at least the 8 games we won and probably another one or two simply by virtue of not making errors. See, that's part of the problem, most folks don't seem to think that 3 TOs/game coupled w/ 3 or 4 sacks on average w/ a fumble for a loss every other game is significant. How can they if they think Drew is that good?

If you want to know what my solution is, it would have been to sign Blake and compete Blake and Brown.

This season, if you ask me, we should compete the position as well dependent upon how Brown plays in preseason. I think that given the reps w/ the first team, Brown will do well. I'm curious to see if GW gives Brown the opportunity and the potential for controversy by allowing much of that.

I realize competing them won't happen, but I gotta tell ya, if Drew starts off like he finished last season, I wouldn't hesitate to put Brown in if he plays well in preseason.

A team is just that, it's a team. Yet most of the fans and most people here act as if Drew is the team's savior when that couldn't be further from the truth practically speaking. It can only be that way in fantasy world filled with emotionalism.

We don't have luxury of starting this season off w/ other teams not having a clue as to what we are doing. No matter how you slice it, we may run more, but I'll guarantee you right now that it won't be as much as we should. Teams know we're gonna throw Drew. They also know, the good teams that is, that if they're patient and pressure him, it'll net them 7-20 PPG which will overcome quite a bit of bad defensive play.

Wys, that was easily the most fair assessment you've given. (not that you're not careful when usually doing it). You hit the goods and bads. I agree on most points and all in all you gave him about a "7" total. That's about where I have him. Like I said before, I think he's a little overrated but also not as bad as some make him out to be. All QB's go through streaks during the season, unfortunately he had 4 of his last 6 as his bad streak.....3 of those in a row. As a perfect "7" I'd say that puts him around 5-9 in the league overall. I say that because while he has zero mobility there are also plays he makes with his arm that others can't. Overall talent-wise Mike Vick is easily the best. We'll just have to see how his mental game pans out now that they're asking him to stay in the pocket a little more. He has a cannon arm to go w/the running ability so if his head's in it he'll be a beast. As of now though, I'd still take Brett Favre to battle before Vick. He's not mobile but much more savvy and very tough. Again, great assessment.

LtBillsFan66
07-17-2003, 09:03 AM
I don't disagree much with the assessment either!!!

But put every QB up to the same scrutiny and you'll have a similar output.

If I said it once, I'll say it again... DB is a top 10 qb in the NFL. No doubt!

Novacane
07-17-2003, 09:27 AM

I dare say we'd have won more games w/ VP starting last season.

Novacane
07-17-2003, 09:32 AM

Laugh away, but I'll tell you now, if Brown has to come in for Bledsoe, no one will want Drew back.

:lmao: :lmao: ............you have absolutely no idea what Brown can do. 3 quarters against Miami are nowhere near enough to make a judgement on him.

I wonder what Tom Donahoe is missing. Why was he so stupid to trade for Drew when he had Travis Brown sitting on the Bench.
The guy must not know football. I have to see a lot more of TB before I anoint him the next Kurt Warner.

BTW...............this does not make me a "Drew Lover"

LtBillsFan66
07-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green

I must have missed that line. :doh:

justasportsfan
07-17-2003, 09:34 AM
NOw wys, pretty obvious you want Blake over Drew. Now rate Blake using those criterias.

let me take a shot at it?

1. Arm strength

= I would rate him the best arm strength but Rob's arm is stronger holding that Clipboard than Blake

= Standing on the sideline's he should have an advantage over Drew in seeing the field and audible since he stands beside his coach and can hear everything the coach has to say

3. Mobility

= way better than any qb on the field , since he stands on the sidelines no one will try to stop him even if he ran towards the men's room to take a pee.

4. Leadership

= Blake is tops again. I heard he is a great qb for the practice squad.

5. Passing ability

= once again top qb playing against the practice D

6. Mental toughness

= he's gotta be no. 1 . Still hanging in there even if other teams don't still want him , he's gotta have great mental toughness to hang in there.

= He's hardly had any INT's. How can he when he stands in the sideline?

8. Play fake ability

= he hasn't faked any team into making him their no. 1 qb but he sure fooled you.

= he's gotta be tops since he's hardly behind the OL standing on the sidelines. He can make those 3,5,7 steps anytime he wants on that sideline. I doubt the OL on the field is gonna react or feel any pressure when he does.

= he doesn't have the ball in his hand during the game but a clipboard , so I'd say he's got that quick release of that ball over Drew.

= again he hasn't confused anyone but you. :D

= Bring back Flutie!!! :snicker:

Nighthawk
07-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Oh, no Wys...I don't through in the towel that easy, I just hate talking to walls. I like my counterparts to be openminded and not to be completely unreasonable. Trust me, I know that Bledsoe didn't play great at the end of the year last year, but you know what? I understand that football isn't a one man game and I know that there are NO games that he lost or won on his own! I believe that if you could finally see that, then maybe you could be at peace with yourself. :)

venis2k1
07-17-2003, 08:56 PM

D. McNabb, PHI
R. Gannon, OAK
P. Manning, IND
C. Pennington, NYJ
B. Favre, GB
B. Johnson, TB
J. Garcia, SF
Tom Brady, NE
D. Bledsoe, BUF
K. Collins, NYG
M. Brunell, JAC
T. Green, KC
M. Vick, ATL
S. McNair, TEN
M. Hasselbeck, SEA

having Chad Pennington on that list is a joke, he played GREAT last year, but im not sold on one season. Pennington has a very weak arm, and i think that will be exploited this year with his #1 WR on another team.

venis2k1
07-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Now for my criteria, scale of 1-5(5 being the best), 25 is the highest score.

1.Arm strength(5, not much stronger in the NFL)
2.Leadership(5, not one person on the bills that wouldnt follow him into traffic)
3.Decision Making(2.5 i dont know if this is gilbrides fault, but there is no reason to pass on 3rd and 1 when you got the bills o-line in front of you, and Travis Henry behind you. also i have seen Bledsoe make throws that Jesus himself couldnt complete, also bledsoe holds onto the ball too long at times)
4.Clutch(4 wys will bring up how drew fell apart in the big games, but when a game is on the line with 2 minutes left, i cant think of anyone else i would want under center(week 1 against the jets for instance, or how about the afc champ game with the pats))
5.Pass Accuracy(4.5 if bledsoe can get the ball off without being pressured, look for it to hit his WR in the numbers)

*please note i didnt include crap like mobility(outside the pocket) because im one of the guys that belive a QB should throw the ball, thats why they arnt called running backs.

venis2k1
07-17-2003, 09:08 PM
i got him 21/25 thats a pretty good QB in my book.

LtBillsFan66
07-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1

having Chad Pennington on that list is a joke, he played GREAT last year, but im not sold on one season. Pennington has a very weak arm, and i think that will be exploited this year with his #1 WR on another team.

He's the real deal. A Jet, yes. But a very good QB.

SoCalBillsFan
07-17-2003, 09:18 PM
ok wys, you're on. If we win 11 Games with drew at the helm, you owe me sauce. If we win 9 or less, i owe you something. 10 is a push. Deal?

(Dependant of course on what you want me to owe you :D)

If he gets injured, we'll have to adjust that

venis2k1
07-17-2003, 09:45 PM

He's the real deal. A Jet, yes. But a very good QB.

i know one game does not a season make, but it does when its the playoffs. here are chads stats in the afc campionship game:

21 of 47
183 yards
44.9 qb rating
2 ints
2 lost fumbles
:snicker2:

also here is an exerpt from a impatial football mags 2003 preview:

"Chad pennington reminds us of joe montana, he puts the ball on the money, avoids turnovers, and wins games. that said, it is still to be seen how he will handle defenses adjusting to stop his week arm."

BillsMan80
07-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Folks, Drew Bledsoe is one of the top QB's to have in a pressure situation, as evidenced by his 4th Quarter comebacks. I believe in the last 5 years he leads the NFL with about 25 4th Quarter comebacks, and I still remember his MNF comeback with a broken finger and then the comeback that shouldn't have been against us if we didn't have Walt Kraft, whoops, I mean Walt Coleman's crew officiating the game. Bledsoe is a clutch QB in the NFL. As for who I think is better than Bledsoe...

Steve McNair
Rich Gannon
Donovan McNabb
Brett Favre
Mike Vick
Jeff Garcia
Kurt Warner(When Healthy)
Maybe Peyton Manning

So that puts him around 8 or 9. He is clearly a top 10 QB.

Throne Logic
07-18-2003, 07:23 AM
I'm at Drew's "splits" page at ESPN now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?statsId=2359

Check these splits out:

What sticks out to me is the Short Game. Drew's not looking too good in plays under 10 yards down field. Now, stick that in the Red Zone and you wind up with Ratings like his 58.6, which is just horrible. He's not too much better in the 11-20 range, which is where most of his INT's came - Red Zone 11-20 rating is still under 80.

I'll blame some of this on Gilbride, but jeez Drew, you can audible when you see everyone backing up into zone coverage.

This is definitely the area that needs to change the most. No more stupid pass attempts in the Red Zone. USE YOUR FRIGGIN' PROBOWL RB, GILBRIDE!