PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign Watkins

Dr. Lecter
05-28-2014, 12:50 PM
According to a WGR text.

Shocking. They signed him despite Ralph's cheapness!!!

jimmifli
05-28-2014, 01:11 PM
Is that really the direction you want to take this thread?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/16/3162617/nfl-salary-cap-rollover-cba-seahawks-pete-carroll-paul-allen
6th in unused cap from 2011 - $19.3 million

http://www.buffalonews.com/20130213/bills_short_on_cap_cash_for_free_agents.html
rank unknown rolled over from 2012 - $9.8 million in rolled over cap

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/116713/inside-slant-salary-cap-carryover-numbers
4th in unused cap from 2013 - $17.8 million

Aside from the absurd money that was front loaded to Mario, we usually rank among the league leaders in unused cap space.

Personally, I'd rather focus on the fact that we signed our #1 pick that we paid a fortune for and that he can now start his off season. Which is really important because WRs are said to have a steep learning curve when jumping to the NFL.

swiper
05-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Bills sign first-rounder Sammy Watkins

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 28, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/c58490061c90672d91979ba6ef0e99b3.jpeg?w=250
AP
On a day which we found out the Bills werewithout two of their biggest stars on defense (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/28/kiko-alonso-mario-williams-recovering-from-surgery/), they needed some good news on the other side of the ball.
They got it with the signing (https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/471711216013168640) of first-rounderSammy Watkins (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9388/sammy-watkins) to his rookie deal.

While the formulaic paperwork won’t be as big a deal if either of the injuries to Mario Williams (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3636/mario-williams) or Kiko Alonso (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8445/kiko-alonso) linger, getting the Clemson wideout under contract is a positive step for the Bills.

Given what they surrendered (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/16/bills-tried-to-move-to-no-1-to-ensure-sammy-watkins-selection/) to move up for him, they need him making plays from the start, and having the business taken care of clears the decks for him to build rapport with quarterback E.J. Manuel (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8331/ej-manuel).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/28/bills-sign-first-rounder-sammy-watkins/

Homegrown
05-28-2014, 01:45 PM
According to a WGR text.

I actually LOL'ed outloud ...

WagonCircler
05-28-2014, 01:57 PM
These stories aren't what they used to be, now that there's a rookie cap. They're more or less a foregone conclusion.

X-Era
05-28-2014, 02:10 PM
How is this possible? His agent is Eugene Parker.

And we all know Eugene Parker is why Byrd didn't re-sign with us.

swiper
05-28-2014, 02:15 PM
How is this possible? His agent is Eugene Parker.

And we all know Eugene Parker is why Byrd didn't re-sign with us.

Parker would look like a huge ass if it appeared he had Watkins, who publicly loves the Bills, holding out.

X-Era
05-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Parker would look like a huge ass if it appeared he had Watkins, who publicly loves the Bills, holding out.
So instead he's just a bubble butt? Not a huge ass but large?

Woodman
05-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Rookie contracts are pretty much established with the caps.

Time to get back to work.

swiper
05-28-2014, 02:36 PM
So instead he's just a bubble butt? Not a huge ass but large?

http://i.imgur.com/WKBqAgh.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/LG7gJzC.gif

Night Train
05-28-2014, 06:06 PM
He's been hanging around OBD ever since the draft and is working hard. Locals report he's blazing fast on the cuts. Showed him catching a few from Manuel on tonights news. Sounds like a bright kid.

What's not to like about this guy so far ?

OpIv37
05-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Parker's his agent? One and done. He'll be here 5 years tops.

Skooby
05-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Parker's his agent? One and done. He'll be here 5 years tops.

Nothing assures that, even common sense tells you that the best players we have will stay if their performance is there.

OpIv37
05-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Nothing assures that, even common sense tells you that the best players we have will stay if their performance is there.

Like Jarius Byrd, Andy Levitre and Jason Peters? Two of those three had Parker as their agent.

It's not always about the performance or the team. The agent and the players have their say too, and the Bills just can't work with this guy. Rookie contracts are but set by the rookie cap in the CBA. As soon as it comes down to needing a new deal, Parker and the Bills just can't get it done.

BillsImpossible
05-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Like Jarius Byrd, Andy Levitre and Jason Peters? Two of those three had Parker as their agent.

It's not always about the performance or the team. The agent and the players have their say too, and the Bills just can't work with this guy. Rookie contracts are but set by the rookie cap in the CBA. As soon as it comes down to needing a new deal, Parker and the Bills just can't get it done.

Good.

OpIv37
05-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Good.

Not sure how spending two first round draft picks on a guy we will have for 5 years is good.

BillsImpossible
05-28-2014, 06:59 PM
The days of 1st round NFL Draft picks holding out aren't over.

Watkins is 1 of 11 first rounders to sign. That speaks more than words.

21 other teams haven't signed their 1st round draft picks yet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350347/article/2014-nfl-draft-firstround-signing-tracker

Clowney, Robinson, Bortles, Evans, Gilbert, Ebron, and Lewan are all unsigned and missing out on valuable time for more money.

I like Watkins even more now.

BillsImpossible
05-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Not sure how spending two first round draft picks on a guy we will have for 5 years is good.

If Watkins turns out to be a great player, the Bills can use the money they've been paying Mario Williams to pay Sammy 3 years from now.

OpIv37
05-28-2014, 07:23 PM
If Watkins turns out to be a great player, the Bills can use the money they've been paying Mario Williams to pay Sammy 3 years from now.

It doesn't matter.

Parker will convince him that he's worth 5 mill more than the Bills are willing to pay.

Homegrown
05-28-2014, 08:37 PM
It doesn't matter.

Parker will convince him that he's worth 5 mill more than the Bills are willing to pay.

OpIv = Nostradamus

jimmifli
05-28-2014, 09:03 PM
It doesn't matter.

All his players were worth more than the Bills were willing to pay. He hasn't been the problem.

Skooby
05-28-2014, 09:21 PM
All his players were worth more than the Bills were willing to pay. He hasn't been the problem.

$5 Million total? Maybe. $5 Million a year ? No way. I wouldn't worry about Parker, the cap will go up more than ever over the past so many years, so if he's all that he'll be ours.

OpIv37
05-28-2014, 09:58 PM
OpIv = Nostradamus

Not sure if you mean this as a positive or a negative but either way:

I just call it by the reality and the facts, and I've been right a hell of a lot more than I've been wrong, because that's what facts and reality will do.

better days
05-28-2014, 10:02 PM

Debatable. In no way was Levitre worth the MONEY the Titans paid him.

And I think they are having buyers remorse.

OpIv37
05-28-2014, 10:17 PM
Debatable. In no way was Levitre worth the MONEY the Titans paid him.

And I think they are having buyers remorse.
yeah well the Bills went into last season $18 million under the cap and are $10 million under the cap for this season.

He's still better than anything we have, and when we are that far below the cap, there is no justification for it.

jimmifli
05-28-2014, 10:28 PM
$5 Million total? Maybe. $5 Million a year ? No way. I wouldn't worry about Parker, the cap will go up more than ever over the past so many years, so if he's all that he'll be ours.
We paid Peters $3 mil/season and told him to what his turn. Philadelphia promptly paid him $10 mil/season.
We paid Levitre $3.5 mil/season, didn't even make him an offer and the most we've paid for a guard since he left was $3.3 mil/season. Tennessee paid him $8 mil/season.
We reportedly offered Byrd $7.5 mil/season. New Orleans paid him $9 mil/season. But that ignores the guaranteed money $28 million to $?

So you're right, only one of those players did we try to lowball by $5 million a season. The others we only lowballed by $4.5 million and $1.5 million per season.

You've made a compelling argument, I'm convinced... Parker is definitely the problem.

YardRat
05-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Peters should have been paid...he earned it.

Byrd and Levitre aren't worth the contracts they received.

THRILLHO
05-29-2014, 07:37 AM
yeah well the Bills went into last season $18 million under the cap and are $10 million under the cap for this season.

He's still better than anything we have, and when we are that far below the cap, there is no justification for it.

This is what people overlook. If we were to sign these players, would we be paying a bit over market value? It is very possible. BUT we are consistently under the cap. Meaning we have the money to overpay a bit. Keep your core talent and eventually you win games. Win games and you become an attractive option to players currently on your roster and in free agency.

better days
05-29-2014, 08:12 AM

I was as mad as anyone when Levitre left, but there is no question he was overpaid & he did not play up to his contract for the Titans.

Losing him hurt the Bills more than it helped the Titans getting him. But if the Bills would have resigned Levitre for the kind of money the Titans paid him, you would have *****ed about how the Bills over pay for mediocre players, especially after the mediocre year he had last year.

And there is no question Levitre was better last year as bad as he played than anyone on the Bills. But this year & going forward, I think the Bills have his replacement who will be at least as good as Levitre.

As for Byrd, no question he was also over paid, it just remains to be seen by how much.

better days
05-29-2014, 08:24 AM
jesus christ...the justification that "well he's (insert player) not as good on that team" is so weak. He was good HERE, he fit HERE, and he was needed HERE.

I agree, Levitre was good on the Bills & he was needed on the Bills. I said at the time I wanted the Bills to pay him to keep him. I was as mad as anyone on this board the Bills lost him.

But in retrospect, if the Bills had resigned him & he played like he did for the Titans, I would have been pissed about his play as would every other Bills fan.

Going forward, the Bills filled the need at LG this year & Levitre's replacement may be an improvement over him.

better days
05-29-2014, 08:32 AM
You don't know that yet

Well, I know the need was filled, it just remains to be seen how well.

There is no question whoever plays LG this year will be better than last year.

The Bills have a philosophy, they wanted to get BIGGER on the OL.

No question they did that & I think that is the reason they did not even attempt to resign Levitre last year.

jimmifli
05-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Peters should have been paid...he earned it.

Byrd and Levitre aren't worth the contracts they received.
That isn't the argument though. The argument is about whether Parker convinces his clients they are worth more than they are and that's why they leave. The evidence doesn't support that claim. In fact the evidence shows that all Parker's clients received better contracts from other teams. The agent isn't the problem. The team's front office is the reason those players left, for better or worse.

I'm sure when it comes time Watkins will get good advice from Parker about his value on the open market. If Bills fans are lucky, we won't still need to run player personnel decisions past the accountant, and then the NFLs leading receiver will resign in Buffalo.

mayotm
05-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Wow. Watkins hasn't played a down yet and some of you are already fretting over his next contract.

Bill Cody
05-29-2014, 09:07 AM
We paid Peters $3 mil/season and told him to what his turn. Philadelphia promptly paid him $10 mil/season.

Ridiculous. The Bills offered to make Peters one of the top 5 tackles in football when he still had 2 years left on his contract. Try again.

Historian
05-29-2014, 10:32 AM
One less camp distraction.

Well done front office.

stuckincincy
05-29-2014, 10:38 AM
One less camp distraction.

Well done front office.

Yep. :nod:

Woodman
05-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Sammy is gonna rock!!

OpIv37
05-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Ridiculous. The Bills offered to make Peters one of the top 5 tackles in football when he still had 2 years left on his contract. Try again.

And yet, they still couldn't work with Parker. That's not a good sign for Watkins.

Buffalogic
05-29-2014, 01:06 PM
And yet, they still couldn't work with Parker. That's not a good sign for Watkins.It is the bills problem not Parker's. Parker understands his leverage and gets his clients and himself the most money deserved. He's good at his job.

From the bills standpoint, it's a lot easier letting an UDFA walk for top dollar because there was no investment in him. With Watkins we already have an incredible amount invested, so if he realizes his potential it will be hard for the bills to let him leave.

Bill Cody
05-29-2014, 02:26 PM
And yet, they still couldn't work with Parker. That's not a good sign for Watkins.

Who knows if Parker will even be his agent in 5 years.
But even if he is, in the end the client will tell the agent whether he wants to be here or not. In the case of Byrd and Peters I think the answer is no they really didn't. In the case of Levitre it may have been yes but the Bills decided (I believe correctly) that he was not going to be worth the money. We still haven't seen a case where both the player and the team was motivated to get something done so to me it remains to be seen whether Watkins will be signable with Parker as an agent.

jimmifli
05-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Not true. They told him to wait his turn.

They'd already redone his contract once and they weren't going to do it again. Peters and Parker wanted it redone because while the ink was still wet on Peters' shiny new RT contract... the Bills moved him to LT a position which was paid significantly more at the time. It was a dirty move by the Bills, and Peters unhappily played a season under the deal before threatening another holdout. The Bills lowballed him, negotiated in bad faith, antagonized him and then bad mouthed him after he left. It's fine to be a fan of the team, but there's no way Parker was the bad guy throughout that negotiation.

He's an agent that gets his clients top dollar. That's why the Bills have such a problem dealing with him.

Bill Cody
05-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Not true. They told him to wait his turn.

They'd already redone his contract once and they weren't going to do it again. Peters and Parker wanted it redone because while the ink was still wet on Peters' shiny new RT contract... the Bills moved him to LT a position which was paid significantly more at the time. It was a dirty move by the Bills, and Peters unhappily played a season under the deal before threatening another holdout. The Bills lowballed him, negotiated in bad faith, antagonized him and then bad mouthed him after he left. It's fine to be a fan of the team, but there's no way Parker was the bad guy throughout that negotiation.

He's an agent that gets his clients top dollar. That's why the Bills have such a problem dealing with him.

So Brandon is lying? Any proof of that?

http://nfloutofhours.com/topic/537767/1/

Woodman
05-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Who gives a crap about players that have departed?

I mean c'mon are you guys ***** serious?

All that matters or should is the move to get Sammy Watkins.

next.

jimmifli
05-29-2014, 03:56 PM
So Brandon is lying? Any proof of that?

http://nfloutofhours.com/topic/537767/1/

Sounds exactly like what I said. They underpaid him, moved him to left tackle, told him he wasn't a priority, lowballed him and then Brandon acts all huffy when Peters tells the Bills to **** off. Sorry but I don't see anyway that paints Parker as a bad agent. In the end he got his client paid and didn't have to "wait his turn". "Sorry Jason you're not our priority" What a dick! Who would even say that to a valued employee?

BTW I think we're still waiting on that "Oline for the next 5-7 years", but thanks anyways Russ. Honestly, I'd be much happier with Peters, Levitre, Wood, Rinehart, Glenn, than the ****ing draft picks and the unused cap savings - if Russ would get out his own way this team could be good.

But it's a shame Parker is such a meanie and hates Buffalo, otherwise we coulda been a contender!

Buffalogic
05-29-2014, 06:27 PM
I think people make Brandon out to be more important than he really is and thus, unnecessarily hating him. He's a lot like Parker, good at his job, but people hate him because of misconception. Despite what anything says, I'd be truly shocked if he ever had any say in player personnel moves.

Jimmi is right on about Parker and Peters and every other good player we let walk. I think Watkins will be different if he deserves it because they already have so much in his basket.

Night Train
05-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Parker works on a client by client basis.

You guys act like he and Overdorf are wrestling on the floor or screaming at each other at a conference table over $$...when in reality they're downing a couple glasses of Dom at Tempo while enjoying a nice dinner. That's how business is done.

You don't pay a Safety 9-10 Mil a year with foot issues and now back surgery...let alone a healthy one. You are paying for his healthy past.

Good luck Saints. Remember that " Buyer Beware " tag you tossed in the can ?

OpIv37
05-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Parker works on a client by client basis.

You guys act like he and Overdorf are wrestling on the floor or screaming at each other at a conference table over $$...when in reality they're downing a couple glasses of Dom at Tempo while enjoying a nice dinner. That's how business is done.

You don't pay a Safety 9-10 Mil a year with foot issues and now back surgery...let alone a healthy one. You are paying for his healthy past.

Good luck Saints. Remember that " Buyer Beware " tag you tossed in the can ?
Yeah cuz the Bills are so great at not paying guys with injury issues. It's not like half our roster ends up on IR every year or anything....

better days
05-30-2014, 07:07 AM
How can people continue to fall for this ****? "It'll be different this year, I swear!"

buncha battered women

We are talking 5 years from now, NOT this year.

ANYTHING can happen in 5 years.

I am going to just sit back & enjoy the ride.

Bill Cody
05-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Sounds exactly like what I said. They underpaid him, moved him to left tackle, told him he wasn't a priority, lowballed him and then Brandon acts all huffy when Peters tells the Bills to **** off. Sorry but I don't see anyway that paints Parker as a bad agent. In the end he got his client paid and didn't have to "wait his turn". "Sorry Jason you're not our priority" What a dick! Who would even say that to a valued employee?

BTW I think we're still waiting on that "Oline for the next 5-7 years", but thanks anyways Russ. Honestly, I'd be much happier with Peters, Levitre, Wood, Rinehart, Glenn, than the ****ing draft picks and the unused cap savings - if Russ would get out his own way this team could be good.

But it's a shame Parker is such a meanie and hates Buffalo, otherwise we coulda been a contender!

Not even close to what you said. You said they didn't offer him anything. Russ says they worked on it for 6 months and offered him the largest contract in Bills history. And that Peters showed no interest. None. You're wrong. Deal with it.

cookie G
05-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Not even close to what you said. You said they didn't offer him anything. Russ says they worked on it for 6 months and offered him the largest contract in Bills history. And that Peters showed no interest. None. You're wrong. Deal with it.

No, he said they lowballed him.

Brandon said he offered him the highest contract for a lineman in Bills' history..which was probably just north of the $7 million Dockery was making.

He got $10 million a year from Philly.

Besides..it was the least risky offer Brandon could make. He knew Peters wanted out and knew that he wouldn't accept it. But at least he could go in front of the cameras and say..I offered him the largest Bills' contract for an Olineman in history, even though it is $3 million a year below market value!!!

And in case you were wondering..Peters didn't even hire Parker until Brandon said he "wasn't a priority". He got dissed...he fought back..

I doubt he has any regrets. More money, better offense. He owed Buffalo nothing.

better days
05-30-2014, 11:37 AM
No, he said they lowballed him.

Brandon said he offered him the highest contract for a lineman in Bills' history..which was probably just north of the $7 million Dockery was making.

He got $10 million a year from Philly.

Besides..it was the least risky offer Brandon could make. He knew Peters wanted out and knew that he wouldn't accept it. But at least he could go in front of the cameras and say..I offered him the largest Bills' contract for an Olineman in history, even though it is $3 million a year below market value!!!

And in case you were wondering..Peters didn't even hire Parker until Brandon said he "wasn't a priority". He got dissed...he fought back..

I doubt he has any regrets. More money, better offense. He owed Buffalo nothing.

Well, I am happy with how it played out.

Peters has been injured & missed a lot of games in Philly while being paid all that money.

Now he is getting old with not much left in the tank.

The Bills in place of Peters got Eric Wood. Then drafted Cordy Glenn. I am HAPPY with that.

feldspar
05-30-2014, 11:44 AM
These stories aren't what they used to be, now that there's a rookie cap. They're more or less a foregone conclusion.

True, but there is also this tidbit about why draft choices are signing faster than ever, written by Chris Brown a while back:

"Even though the salary cap went up more than eight percent there is a freeze on signing bonuses so all this year’s picks will get the same signing bonus as the players did last year who were taken in their draft slot. For Sammy Watkins that’s Philadelphia’s Lane Johnson, who got just over $12.8M.

The reason why bonuses are staying flat is because teams borrowed money from future rookie pools (2012, 2013) after the lockout in 2011 to make sure that rookies that year wouldn’t be paid less than the rookies from 2010 prior to the readjustment in salary cap and the rookie wage scale. That money is now being repaid in 2014.

So essentially the only increases the 2014 draft class is seeing is in their base salaries."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/05/16/why-draft-choices-are-signing-faster-than-ever/

GingerP
05-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Well, I am happy with how it played out.

Peters has been injured & missed a lot of games in Philly while being paid all that money.

Now he is getting old with not much left in the tank.

The Bills in place of Peters got Eric Wood. Then drafted Cordy Glenn. I am HAPPY with that.

Peters did miss a season, but he averaged 15 starts a year in the other 4 years and is considered one of the best OL in the NFL. Since that trade he has made 4 Pro Bowls, was 1st-team All-Pro twice and 2nd-team All-Pro another time. The Eagles just signed him to an extension and have their franchise LT locked up.

Wood has started 63 games, has never been a Pro-Bowler or All-Pro of any kind. The other two players the Bills ended up getting in the Peters trade were Shawn Nelson and Bryce Drake.

That trade was highway robbery, the Eagles smoked the Bills.

better days
05-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Peters did miss a season, but he averaged 15 starts a year in the other 4 years and is considered one of the best OL in the NFL. Since that trade he has made 4 Pro Bowls, was 1st-team All-Pro twice and 2nd-team All-Pro another time. The Eagles just signed him to an extension and have their franchise LT locked up.

Wood has started 63 games, has never been a Pro-Bowler or All-Pro of any kind. The other two players the Bills ended up getting in the Peters trade were Shawn Nelson and Bryce Drake.

That trade was highway robbery, the Eagles smoked the Bills.

Peters is 32 years old. He signed a 4 year contract & will be 36 in the 4th year.

He may make the Pro Bowl all 4 years because it is a popularity poll.

Like I said, I am HAPPY having Wood & Glenn.

GingerP
05-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Like I said, I am HAPPY having Wood & Glenn.

I'd rather have Peters and Glenn. They could have had that.

Peters is a great player, that isn't something you can deny. He was voted the 67th-best player in the NFL this year by his peers. You can call the Pro-Bowl a popularity poll all you want, but most of the guys who make it are really good. All-Pro isn't a popularity poll, it is the best players in the NFL. He is a rare guy who is naturally big but quick as a cat. He is a Walter Jones-type player. Getting rid of him rates as an All-time stupid move by the Bills.

better days
05-30-2014, 12:25 PM
I'd rather have Peters and Glenn. They could have had that.

Peters is a great player, that isn't something you can deny. He was voted the 67th-best player in the NFL this year by his peers. You can call the Pro-Bowl a popularity poll all you want, but most of the guys who make it are really good. All-Pro isn't a popularity poll, it is the best players in the NFL. He is a rare guy who is naturally big but quick as a cat. He is a Walter Jones-type player. Getting rid of him rates as an All-time stupid move by the Bills.

The Bills got Wood in the Peters trade.

If Peters were still on the Bills, Wood & Glenn probably would not be. The Bills would not have had the urgent need to draft Glenn so they may have drafted someone else.

I can't argue that Peters isn't a good player, but he did not want to be in Buffalo. IMO, it was a better move to get SOMETHING of value for Peters than NOTHING like they got for a number of good players that left like Byrd.

cookie G
05-30-2014, 01:02 PM
The Bills got Wood in the Peters trade.

If Peters were still on the Bills, Wood & Glenn probably would not be. The Bills would not have had the urgent need to draft Glenn so they may have drafted someone else.

I can't argue that Peters isn't a good player, but he did not want to be in Buffalo. IMO, it was a better move to get SOMETHING of value for Peters than NOTHING like they got for a number of good players that left like Byrd.

"urgent need to draft Glenn"? That was 4 drafts AFTER they traded Peters.

We went through Kirk Chambers, Demetrius Bell and Ed Wang during that time. At least they got Wood out of the deal.

But wow..Buddy Nix went 4 drafts without a LT....he is easily the most disappointing GM since...the 70's.

better days
05-30-2014, 02:11 PM

We went through Kirk Chambers, Demetrius Bell and Ed Wang during that time. At least they got Wood out of the deal.

But wow..Buddy Nix went 4 drafts without a LT....he is easily the most disappointing GM since...the 70's.

There were MANY holes to fill when Nix took over.

It took TIME to fill them all which he did.....well maybe not QB, we will see this year.

stuckincincy
05-30-2014, 02:38 PM

All this conjecture about a downtown stadium...without tailgating, the BUF stands would look like those in JAX.

better days
05-30-2014, 02:45 PM
All this conjecture about a downtown stadium...without tailgating, the BUF stands would look like those in JAX.

So you are saying the MAJORITY of Bills fans go to tailgate & not for the game?

RIDICULOUS. The tailgate is just the added bonus.

swiper
05-31-2014, 09:11 AM
http://media.naplesnews.com/media/img/photos/2014/05/18/Bills_Rookie_Camp_Football.JPEG-093a0_t607.JPG

swiper
05-31-2014, 09:17 AM

I was going to thank this post, but stopped short because of that last proclamation. It's not right. Just because Nix didn't draft an LT fast enough for your liking doesn't mean he was the worst GM. While I was critical of some of his picks, he was better than Donahoe and Levy by a lot.

And I believe Chris Hairston was the LT to start his career here as well as those you mentioned.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/19---Who-will-start-at-left-tackle/ce4f53ba-05f7-459c-ac97-3d9f462674ed

The Jokeman
06-01-2014, 11:57 AM

I disagree Levy was a worse GM than Nix.

cookie G
06-01-2014, 01:08 PM
I was going to thank this post, but stopped short because of that last proclamation. It's not right. Just because Nix didn't draft an LT fast enough for your liking doesn't mean he was the worst GM. While I was critical of some of his picks, he was better than Donahoe and Levy by a lot.

And I believe Chris Hairston was the LT to start his career here as well as those you mentioned.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/19---Who-will-start-at-left-tackle/ce4f53ba-05f7-459c-ac97-3d9f462674ed

I disagree Levy was a worse GM than Nix.

Chris Hairston was taken at the bottom of the 4th, the 122nd pick. 11 other OT's were taken before then. That's not exactly making the position a priority, especially when he knew the team had none.

He had already taken 2 DB's by then.

Really, I see Buddy and Levy/Jauron as very much mirrors of each other, a slightly different cut from the same crappy thinking.

Neither had a franchise QB, neither did much to address it. In Jauron's defense, he did inherit a young, former no.1 pick, and did use a 3rd on Edwards, however wrong that may have been. Buddy did absolutely 0.

Both had the crazy idea of purging the defense and rebuilding to build to some "scheme". The D Jauron inherited was 1 year removed from the 2nd best D in the league. It was purged and rebuilt into his vision of a Cover 2 D...filled with highly drafted DB's and an undersized D7'

Buddy inherited a D that was 2nd against the past but bad against the run. When he left..they were 2nd against the pass, but bad against the run. He was very jauron-like in his fetish for DB's. To his credit, at least his D7 players were bigger.

Neither did much for the offense in general, except to dump a former first round RB and draft a 1st round RB to replace him.

Offensive line...well...in Buddy's tenure, he had one drafted OL on the roster, and that was after inheriting a shaky OL. At least Levy made an attempt and spent money on the OL.

Buddy did little to nothing for the offense. 1 RB and one OL in 4 years = little to nothing.

And the only reason for any of the wins in teh Buddy Nix era were due to the offense.
Had Gailey not provided some semblance of an offense with the crap Buddy gave him, you would have been looking at a few 1 or 2 win seasons.

swiper
06-01-2014, 04:17 PM
If Chan Gailey had had a competent defensive coordinator and a better QB, his teams would have been more successful and he'd likely still be around.

Bill Cody
06-02-2014, 04:02 PM
If Chan Gailey had had a competent defensive coordinator and a better QB, his teams would have been more successful and he'd likely still be around.

If (insert fired coaches name) had had a competent defensive coordinator and a better QB, his teams would have been more successful and he'd likely still be around