PDA

View Full Version : Buscaglia: 5 Bills that could be in danger of being cut

swiper
05-30-2014, 04:33 AM
5 Bills that could be in danger of being cut

by Joe Buscaglia

The next chapter of the offseason begins on Wednesday, when most of the 90 members on the Buffalo Bills active roster convene in Orchard Park for the start of Organized Team Activities. It’s their first bit of on-field work as an entire team in 2014, and it’s our first chance to see how the depth chart stacks up.

Now, we finish the three-part series heading into OTAs with five notable players who might not make it through to the 53-man roster in September. Keep in mind, these are for players who have had a role with the team in the past.

Here’s a look at who might be in danger:

1) WR T.J. Graham

2) CB Ron Brooks

3) FB Frank Summers

4) OT Erik Pears - ... In 2013, Pears was likely out the door as long as Chris Hairston was healthy enough to start at right tackle for the team. Hairston never was able to get on the field, meaning Pears stuck around on the roster. Even if Kouandjio is ready and takes the starting job, there’s still a chance for Pears to stick on the roster as a backup tackle. If one of Hairston or seventh-round pick Seantrel Henderson perform well during training camp or the preseason (the Bills would likely prefer it to be Henderson), that could spell the end of Pears with the Buffalo Bills. There are some variables here, but Pears’ spot on the roster is in jeopardy.

5) G Kraig Urbik

Read more: http://www.wgr550.com/Bills-Beat-Blog/9034669?pid=404493

YardRat
05-30-2014, 04:44 AM
I could see the first four, but Urbik shouldn't be in any danger.

swiper
05-30-2014, 04:45 AM
5) G Kraig Urbik
- Perhaps more of a long shot to be released than any of the other four, it’s fair to include Kraig Urbik on this list because the Bills have showed that they are looking to upgrade at right guard. Whether it’s with J.J. ‘Unga, fifth-round pick Cyril Richardson, Antoine McClain or Mark Asper, there are a lot of young players that will be battling to take that job away from Urbik this summer. If he does indeed lose that starting job, his contract could spell the end of his tenure with the Bills. As it currently stands, Urbik has cap hits of $3.375 million in 2014, $3.675 million in 2015 and $4 million in 2016. If they were to cut him after training camp, it would save them approximately $875,000 on the 2014 cap, as long as they lump his prorated signing bonus into a hit this year. Using ‘Unga at right guard late in the season shows that they’re looking to upgrade, so Urbik needs to have a strong training camp in 2014. If he does and proves to be the top option to start for 2014, the Bills will have no problem with keeping him around. If one of those aforementioned younger players steps up and outperforms him though, it could mean trouble for Urbik.

swiper
05-30-2014, 04:47 AM
They take the monetary savings as justification.

It's the old argument, "if we can get the same performance from a younger, cheaper player..."

YardRat
05-30-2014, 04:55 AM
IMO the team would need two of the mentioned youngsters, plus Williams, to 'step up' before Urbik gets cut. I just don't see that happening this season. If any of the kids do show promise, however, Kraig could be in the same position next season that Pears is right now.

Don't Panic
05-30-2014, 05:30 AM
I could see Urbik sticking one more year. The first four are definitely in danger, as they should be. Crazy depth on the O line now.

better days
05-30-2014, 05:43 AM
Pears should be at the top of the list.

X-Era
05-30-2014, 05:54 AM
Graham, Brooks, and Summers should be on the chopping block.

Not Pears or Urbik.

Injuries...

Deep teams have more sustained success. Start the youngsters if they earn it but keep the vets for depth on the OL.

better days
05-30-2014, 07:11 AM
Graham, Brooks, and Summers should be on the chopping block.

Not Pears or Urbik.

Injuries...

Deep teams have more sustained success. Start the youngsters if they earn it but keep the vets for depth on the OL.

I agree about Urbik, but Pears has proven he is terrible.

I would rather keep a talented rookie with potential to IMPROVE than Pears who will never be any better than TERRIBLE.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-30-2014, 07:25 AM

I would rather keep a talented rookie with potential to IMPROVE than Pears who will never be any better than TERRIBLE.

We certainly needed to upgrade Pears, but we can absolutely do worse then him. Perhaps this is the year that Chris Hairston finally surpasses him to become our vet depth behind the rookie.

better days
05-30-2014, 08:01 AM
We certainly needed to upgrade Pears, but we can absolutely do worse then him. Perhaps this is the year that Chris Hairston finally surpasses him to become our vet depth behind the rookie.

Yeah, Chris Hairston is healthy & ready to go. Add in 7th rnd pick, Seantral Henderson to the mix with 2nd rnd pick, Cyrus Kouandjio.

I don't see any room on the roster for Pears who was terrible last year.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Yeah, Chris Hairston is healthy & ready to go. Add in 7th rnd pick, Seantral Henderson to the mix with 2nd rnd pick, Cyrus Kouandjio.

I don't see any room on the roster for Pears who was terrible last year.

Henderson is PS eligible and that may be the plan. If we stash him on the PS, that gives us a 7 OL rotation of Glenn, Williams, Wood, Urbik, Kouandijio starting with Hairston, Richardson as backups and the remaining guys fighting for 1 or 2 spots. Last year we carried 9 OL.

Forward_Lateral
05-30-2014, 08:28 AM
Yeah, hold onto Urbik one more year. I want Graham gone so badly...one of the most inexplicable, useless picks of all time

See: Roscoe Parrish

better days
05-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Henderson is PS eligible and that may be the plan. If we stash him on the PS, that gives us a 7 OL rotation of Glenn, Williams, Wood, Urbik, Kouandijio starting with Hairston, Richardson as backups and the remaining guys fighting for 1 or 2 spots. Last year we carried 9 OL.

If the Bills try to stash Henderson, I would expect another team to grab him.

The Bills only invested a 7th rnd pick on him, but a team that picked him up from the Bills would have zero investment.............for a guy with 1st rnd talent.

The last buffalo fan
05-30-2014, 10:41 AM
See: Roscoe Parrish

I was not happy at all with Roscoe's pick, but at least we had on him ST's production! :ill:

Ed
05-30-2014, 10:51 AM
I don't see Urbik losing his starting job let alone getting cut. Assuming Kouandjio wins the RT job, I just don't see the Bills being comfortable putting another rookie or inexperienced player at RG. They'd really have to impress and play well, but I'd rather see Urbik at RG for one more year and let Richardson be depth and develop before moving into a starting role next season.

Pears should be gone. Hairston took the RT job from him in 2012 and outplayed him, and likely would have been the starting RT last year if healthy. If Kouandjio starts and Hairston is the primary swing tackle, that basically makes Pears a 3rd stringer. He's the 11th highest paid player on the team right now, which is just too much to be a back up or 3rd string RT. Considering we can roll his cap savings into next year, there's just no real benefit to keeping him at that cost. That money can be better spent next year. Assuming Henderson can stay out of trouble, I'd have no issues with Hairston and Henderson as OT depth.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-30-2014, 10:59 AM
If the Bills try to stash Henderson, I would expect another team to grab him.

The Bills only invested a 7th rnd pick on him, but a team that picked him up from the Bills would have zero investment.............for a guy with 1st rnd talent.

For some reason fans here assumes other teams are obsessed with our late round picks. He fell to the 7th for a reason, and unless he lights the world on fire in TC then he's not going to suddenly be hot commodity after TC, when teams would have to invest one of their 53 roster positions on a guy they've barely seen firsthand.

better days
05-30-2014, 11:05 AM
For some reason fans here assumes other teams are obsessed with our late round picks. He fell to the 7th for a reason, and unless he lights the world on fire in TC then he's not going to suddenly be hot commodity after TC, when teams would have to invest one of their 53 roster positions on a guy they've barely seen firsthand.

Henderson did not fall to the 7th because of his play on the field.

He has first round ability on the field & it would not surprise me if he wins the starting job.

He fell to the 7th rnd because after failing drug tests in College, he failed a drug test at the combine.

There is no way he goes to the PS. He either makes the team or is cut because he couldn't stay clean.

stuckincincy
05-30-2014, 11:06 AM
I don't see Urbik losing his starting job let alone getting cut. Assuming Kouandjio wins the RT job, I just don't see the Bills being comfortable putting another rookie or inexperienced player at RG. They'd really have to impress and play well, but I'd rather see Urbik at RG for one more year and let Richardson be depth and develop before moving into a starting role next season.

Pears should be gone. Hairston took the RT job from him in 2012 and outplayed him, and likely would have been the starting RT last year if healthy. If Kouandjio starts and Hairston is the primary swing tackle, that basically makes Pears a 3rd stringer. He's the 11th highest paid player on the team right now, which is just too much to be a back up or 3rd string RT. Considering we can roll his cap savings into next year, there's just no real benefit to keeping him at that cost. That money can be better spent next year. Assuming Henderson can stay out of trouble, I'd have no issues with Hairston and Henderson as OT depth.

Nor do I. While it's nice (and probably unprecedented for BUF) to see 3 OLs drafted, they are rookies. On a team with depth problems - 14 years and running - discharging Urbik would be folly unless one of the rookies hits it out of the park in camp. Big time.

better days
05-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Nor do I. While it's nice (and probably unprecedented for BUF) to see 3 OLs drafted, they are rookies. On a team with depth problems - 14 years and running - discharging Urbik would be folly unless one of the rookies hits it out of the park in camp. Big time.

Even if all the Rookie OL make the team which I think they will, Urbic should not be cut.

There is more dead wood that needs to go first.

stuckincincy
05-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Even if all the Rookie OL make the team which I think they will, Urbic should not be cut.

There is more dead wood that needs to go first.

If all 3 make it, something's got to give. Going into a season with 3 rookie OLs probably isn't very common. They sure need to address their ST performance. Folks like to bash the coaching, and that may be deserved. But you need talented players on ST, and keeping 3 rookie OLs makes the roster juggling harder.

better days
05-30-2014, 11:33 AM
If all 3 make it, something's got to give. Going into a season with 3 rookie OLs probably isn't very common. They sure need to address their ST performance. Folks like to bash the coaching, and that may be deserved. But you need talented players on ST, and keeping 3 rookie OLs makes the roster juggling harder.

Which is why Pears needs to be cut.

GingerP
05-30-2014, 11:53 AM
He fell to the 7th rnd because after failing drug tests in College, he failed a drug test at the combine.

There is no way he goes to the PS. He either makes the team or is cut because he couldn't stay clean.

He fell to the 7th for a lot more than drug tests. He fell because he was a turd. He was suspended three times from his college team. He was demoted to a backup for 3 games last season. He quit halfway through his pro-day workout, after performing poorly in the first part. His work ethic and commitment at Miami was poor. Despite his talent, he was never better than honorable mention on the All-ACC team.

So, he is a talented underachiever who hasn't been able to get his **** together yet. If was willing to coast on his talent in college, what makes you think he will make it as a pro? All those teams passed on him because he is a guy who likely won't make it. In the NFL, lots of guys are talented, and the biggest difference between players is from the neck up. That is where he lacks.

Meathead
05-30-2014, 11:58 AM
5. carpenter. despite coming in on short notice, carpenter had a strong season and earned an extension. but most kicker contracts arent usually guaranteed so the new deal really doesnt mean much. the bills spent a sixth on hopkins for a reason - hes both a long and accurate kicker. carpenter is good enough to be starting someplace but hes not much of the touchback machine marrone has repeatedly pined over. if hopkins has a strong camp and earns the bills trust to hit primetime fgs look for the carpenter to be picking up his tools and moving to the next job site

better days
05-30-2014, 11:59 AM
He fell to the 7th for a lot more than drug tests. He fell because he was a turd. He was suspended three times from his college team. He was demoted to a backup for 3 games last season. He quit halfway through his pro-day workout, after performing poorly in the first part. His work ethic and commitment at Miami was poor. Despite his talent, he was never better than honorable mention on the All-ACC team.

So, he is a talented underachiever who hasn't been able to get his **** together yet. If was willing to coast on his talent in college, what makes you think he will make it as a pro? All those teams passed on him because he is a guy who likely won't make it. In the NFL, lots of guys are talented, and the biggest difference between players is from the neck up. That is where he lacks.

I can't argue with this. No question he is an underachiever & turd .........with a ton of natural talent.

If he fails to make the Bills team, I think it will be because he has not changed & will continue to under achieve.

If that is the case, I DOUBT the Bills offer him a spot on the PS, they will just cut his ass & Whaley has already said as much.

But if the light has finally come on for him, he does not need to pick up his game on the practice squad, he has enough talent to start if he gets it together.

GingerP
05-30-2014, 12:15 PM
If that is the case, I DOUBT the Bills offer him a spot on the PS, they will just cut his ass & Whaley has already said as much.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. They are taking a flyer on him on the off chance he shows some maturity and changes. The odds are pretty long, but it only cost a 7th and if it pays off he has talent. He is basically a Lotto ticket.

Personally, I don't think he makes it. Guys with poor work ethic rarely develop it later.

better days
05-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I'd agree with that. They are taking a flyer on him on the off chance he shows some maturity and changes. The odds are pretty long, but it only cost a 7th and if it pays off he has talent. He is basically a Lotto ticket.

Personally, I don't think he makes it. Guys with poor work ethic rarely develop it later.

I agree, I doubt he makes it either, but low risk, high reward if he does.

Mr. Pink
05-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Parrish, Graham, Goodwin are all interchangeable.

2 years from now people will be clamoring for Goodwin to be shown the door too.

Urbik and Pears should absolutely not be cut. That O-line is paper thin and weak overall, it needs all the depth it can keep.

swiper
05-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Parrish, Graham, Goodwin are all interchangeable.

2 years from now people will be clamoring for Goodwin to be shown the door too.

Urbik and Pears should absolutely not be cut. That O-line is paper thin and weak overall, it needs all the depth it can keep.

I hate Graham. He's been horrid since day one. Parrish was pretty much too. Graham is a different cut. He's much better than those other two.

Dr. Who
05-30-2014, 05:01 PM
I hate Graham. He's been horrid since day one. Parrish was pretty much too. Graham is a different cut. He's much better than those other two.

You mean Goodwin. He appears like more of a football player than the others to me as well.

Mr. Pink, how do you conclude that our O-line is paper thin? Do you simply discount the off-season additions? A lot of people are relieved that we finally made a concerted effort to address the line and you act as if nothing happened.

swiper
05-30-2014, 05:06 PM
You mean Goodwin. He appears like more of a football player than the others to me as well.

Yes. Thanks for the correction. Why is there a time limit on the edit feature?

Skooby
05-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Yes. Thanks for the correction. Why is there a time limit on the edit feature?
So when you post drunk & wake up the next day you can't fix it, 10 minutes of potential joy = shame.

Dr. Who
05-30-2014, 05:17 PM
I don't know about that sort of thing. I never make mistakes:;

swiper
05-31-2014, 05:16 AM

And AGAIN you're wrong. Pears was VERY serviceable at RT just two seasons back when Chan Gailey was head coach and Joe D'Alessandris was the o-line coach. Pears was one of a handful of veteran players that struggled when Marrone and crew came in. Others were Stevie Johnson, Scott Chandler and Urbik.

better days
05-31-2014, 07:47 AM
And AGAIN you're wrong. Pears was VERY serviceable at RT just two seasons back when Chan Gailey was head coach and Joe D'Alessandris was the o-line coach. Pears was one of a handful of veteran players that struggled when Marrone and crew came in. Others were Stevie Johnson, Scott Chandler and Urbik.

Talk about being WRONG.

Chandler led all the Bills receivers last year.

And I don't care if Pears was serviceable TWO years ago.

He was MEDIOCRE at best.

And Hairston beat him out for the starting job two years ago.

And Hairston would have beat him out again last year if he were healthy.

Hairston is healthy this year & should beat out Pears for a spot on the roster.

DraftBoy
05-31-2014, 08:38 AM
I could see the first four, but Urbik shouldn't be in any danger.

Why not? With Chris Williams, and Cyrill Richardson he's going to have to earn his spot.

Ed
05-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Why not? With Chris Williams, and Cyrill Richardson he's going to have to earn his spot.
Even if Urbik loses his starting spot, I still don't think he should be in danger of getting cut. I don't see any other OG on this team right now that would make a better backup. $3.3 mil might seem a little pricey for a backup OG, but he filled in pretty well at C a couple years ago when Wood got hurt, so I think the fact that he can play all three interior positions helps justify the cost of keeping him as depth.

Ed
05-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Plus, cutting Urbik only saves about $1.2 mil while leaving about $2.1 mil of dead cap space. Paying a couple million to not have him on the team seems like a waste. It would make more sense just to keep him.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-31-2014, 10:34 AM
IMO a team that is making noise about winning right now shouldn't be unloading veterans in the interest of saving cap space for next year or avoiding the riisk of losing a 7th round draft pick. Over and over we've been burned because we had no one to turn to who had any experience at their jobs. Now, obvious hope is that our four new OL pick up their roles and the NFL game so quickly and thoroughly that guys like Pears and Urbik become expendable, and that our starters remain healthy for the whole season. But I don't believe that's likely.

swiper
05-31-2014, 01:39 PM
I am well aware that Chandler was the leading receiver. But he had a terrible year. He had horrid drops at clutch times. His numbers were not great. That fact was more that Johnson had more of an off year and Woods and Goodwin were rookies and Graham sucks. And that ALL the QBs suck so bad that they looked for the TE as a safety valve when they were running scared.

And Pears beat out Hairston. Try again.

YardRat
05-31-2014, 04:11 PM

One of them is going to replace Legursky (probably Williams), so that takes whoever does out of the mix for Urbik's spot. Even if one of Richardson, Unga et al beats out Urbik for the other starting spot, you still need depth, and he's on a pretty cheap contract. Plus, apparently he's the only back-up center we have, so cutting him would actually affect more than one position.

swiper
05-31-2014, 05:18 PM
One of them is going to replace Legursky (probably Williams), so that takes whoever does out of the mix for Urbik's spot. Even if one of Richardson, Unga et al beats out Urbik for the other starting spot, you still need depth, and he's on a pretty cheap contract. Plus, apparently he's the only back-up center we have, so cutting him would actually affect more than one position.

However it plays itself out, it is reassuring that this coach/GM have plenty of bodies with talent/potential to cover the entire line. It's not often been that way. Outside of center, and perhaps LT, there will be some solid competition. Let the best men win. It seems they've set EJ Manuel up to sink or swim on his own. He'll have a good line, good receivers, good backs and a competent TE.

better days
05-31-2014, 09:35 PM
I am well aware that Chandler was the leading receiver. But he had a terrible year. He had horrid drops at clutch times. His numbers were not great. That fact was more that Johnson had more of an off year and Woods and Goodwin were rookies and Graham sucks. And that ALL the QBs suck so bad that they looked for the TE as a safety valve when they were running scared.

And Pears beat out Hairston. Try again.

Pears did NOT beat out Hairston. Hairston was put on IR in TC.

swiper
06-01-2014, 04:59 AM
Pears did NOT beat out Hairston. Hairston was put on IR in TC.

Pears beat him out previous to that. In 2012 Pears beat out Hairston.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/09/09/pears-to-rotate-with-hairston/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/04/bills-wont-have-erik-pears-on-sunday/

DraftBoy
06-01-2014, 07:07 AM

Yes but the case you're making is that no matter how bad he plays or how good others plays he stays. That's a very dangerous precedent.

better days
06-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Pears beat him out previous to that. In 2012 Pears beat out Hairston.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/09/09/pears-to-rotate-with-hairston/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/04/bills-wont-have-erik-pears-on-sunday/

Nice try. By October 2012, Hairston was starting.

And he would have started last year if healthy.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Nice try. By October 2012, Hairston was starting.

In October 2012, Hairston was starting at left tackle because Glenn was injured and then moved to right tackle because Pears was injured. Hairston never supplanted a healthy Pears.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201210070sfo.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201211040htx.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2012_injuries.htm

better days
06-01-2014, 11:37 AM
In October 2012, Hairston was starting at left tackle because Glenn was injured and then moved to right tackle because Pears was injured. Hairston never supplanted a healthy Pears.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201210070sfo.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201211040htx.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2012_injuries.htm

He would have. From the first game he started, Hairston was a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over Pears.

And anyone that WATCHED the games would have to agree with that!

swiper
06-01-2014, 12:39 PM
He would have. From the first game he started, Hairston was a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over Pears.

And anyone that WATCHED the games would have to agree with that!

No he wouldn't have. Pears beat him out. Pears was getting praise for his play, hence my original point. He only struggled last season, under a new coach.

Hairston has underachieved and found it tough to find playing time when healthy because of it. He only played to spell tired or injured people above him.

better days
06-01-2014, 09:35 PM
No he wouldn't have. Pears beat him out. Pears was getting praise for his play, hence my original point. He only struggled last season, under a new coach.

Hairston has underachieved and found it tough to find playing time when healthy because of it. He only played to spell tired or injured people above him.

I don't think you watched the games in 2012.

Before he got injured in 2012, Pears was playing as TERRIBLE as he did last year.

Hairston was a VAST IMPROVEMENT over Pears in 2012.

Frenchman
06-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Nobody wants to be cut. But it is do or die time for those five to perform!

swiper
06-02-2014, 04:39 AM
I don't think you watched the games in 2012.

Before he got injured in 2012, Pears was playing as TERRIBLE as he did last year.

Hairston was a VAST IMPROVEMENT over Pears in 2012.

Watched every game.

What's funny, no, hypocritical... is you incessantly hounding OpIv in another thread, trying to make him say he was wrong and then you, who have been called out as wrong with proof here by multiple posters cannot admit you are so wrong.

Hypocrite and a joke.

better days
06-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Watched every game.

What's funny, no, hypocritical... is you incessantly hounding OpIv in another thread, trying to make him say he was wrong and then you, who have been called out as wrong with proof here by multiple posters cannot admit you are so wrong.

Hypocrite and a joke.

Well, I am not wrong about this however.

I don't see anyone AGREEING with you about Pears & in fact there is a thread asking if any other vet besides Pears should be cut.

swiper
06-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Well, I am not wrong about this however.

I don't see anyone AGREEING with you about Pears & in fact there is a thread asking if any other vet besides Pears should be cut.

No. You are very wrong here. No one is agreeing with you.

swiper
06-03-2014, 04:34 AM
the right side of the Bills’ offensive line was a concern. ORTErik Pears played well, though, and earned a contract extension.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/06/25/suggs-injury-could-stress-ravens-defense

ORT Erik Pears was the next biggest question mark after Bell. He beat outMansfield Wrotto for the job and has given up only one sack and has one false start.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/10/14/bells-improved-play-crucial-to-bills-o-line-succes

better days
06-03-2014, 07:59 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/06/25/suggs-injury-could-stress-ravens-defense

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/10/14/bells-improved-play-crucial-to-bills-o-line-succes

OK. We will see who starts at RT this year.

And who is on the roster.

If Pears is as good as you think, he should have no problem beating out Hairston who you said he beat out before & a rookie for the starting job.

psubills62
06-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Mansfield Wrotto? Nice blast from the past. I personally think dredging up old names from the Gailey/Jauron eras would put in perspective the overall athletic improvement of the roster now.

I wouldn't really be that upset to see any of them go. If the OL are gone, that implies very good things about the OL prospects that were drafted.

swiper
06-03-2014, 12:19 PM
OK. We will see who starts at RT this year.

And who is on the roster.

If Pears is as good as you think, he should have no problem beating out Hairston who you said he beat out before & a rookie for the starting job.

First of all, I never said Pears was good. Never. I said he beat out Hairston. And the coaches, media, and players all said over and over that he was holding his own in 2012. As I recall, this year Spiller ran wild. He was never great. He was adequate at his very best. Per the coaches, not me. Hairston NEVER lived up to expectations. The only reason he is still on the roster is that he was considered a "swing" tackle. Now that the Bills have drafted 2 tackles, Hairston AND Pears are probably out. Which is fine with me. Let the best man win. Pears is also 32. That is unusually old for a starting tackle.

better days
06-03-2014, 12:42 PM
First of all, I never said Pears was good. Never. I said he beat out Hairston. And the coaches, media, and players all said over and over that he was holding his own in 2012. As I recall, this year Spiller ran wild. He was never great. He was adequate at his very best. Per the coaches, not me. Hairston NEVER lived up to expectations. The only reason he is still on the roster is that he was considered a "swing" tackle. Now that the Bills have drafted 2 tackles, Hairston AND Pears are probably out. Which is fine with me. Let the best man win. Pears is also 32. That is unusually old for a starting tackle.

There have been MANY GOOD OT's that were MUCH OLDER than 32 when they retired or were forced to retire.

You posted a number of times about how good Pears was with links.

I think you are right, both Pears & Hairston could be cut, but I would be surprised if Pears made the team & Hairston did not.

swiper
06-03-2014, 01:18 PM
I never said I thought Pears was good. Try to keep up.

I said other people said he won the job from Hairston, which he did. And that he played well enough in 2012 to be the main starter. And he did. I went on to blame the fact that Marrone let Joe D'Alessandris go. He got the most out of Pears. And Pears was not the only remaining lineman who took a step back last year under the new o-line coach. I know Marrone is an o-line guy, but D'Alessandris was very good.

better days
06-03-2014, 03:53 PM

You posted this. By posting it to support your argument, that means you agree with it.

"Eric Pears played well" is the same as saying Pears played good.

better days
06-03-2014, 03:56 PM
I never said I thought Pears was good. Try to keep up.

I said other people said he won the job from Hairston, which he did. And that he played well enough in 2012 to be the main starter. And he did. I went on to blame the fact that Marrone let Joe D'Alessandris go. He got the most out of Pears. And Pears was not the only remaining lineman who took a step back last year under the new o-line coach. I know Marrone is an o-line guy, but D'Alessandris was very good.

Well, Do you WANT to see Pears at RT this year?

Yes or NO?

better days
06-03-2014, 04:09 PM

This was your first post about the subject of Pears.

I said he played terrible last year & will never be anything better than terrible.

So, OK I will give you at his BEST he MIGHT be serviceable. But he was not serviceable last year. He was TERRIBLE.

Maybe he can sign with the team D'Alessandris Coaches for after the Bills cut him.

swiper
06-04-2014, 04:59 AM
You posted this. By posting it to support your argument, that means you agree with it.

"Eric Pears played well" is the same as saying Pears played good.

LOL. It does? As I said, I was posting statements that other people said that saw the situation closer than either you or I and THEY said he played well. The coaches said that repeatedly. And Spiller and Jackson ran well. So I had no complaints about Pears in 2012. I also think last year was an abberation for him. He is not great. And I agree that Kouandjio is a prototypical RT. I hope he takes the job from Pears and excels. However my expectations are tempered by the other Mike Williams, our former #1 draft choice at tackle who was a "prototypical" tackle ans stunk.

better days
06-04-2014, 07:19 AM
LOL. It does? As I said, I was posting statements that other people said that saw the situation closer than either you or I and THEY said he played well. The coaches said that repeatedly. And Spiller and Jackson ran well. So I had no complaints about Pears in 2012. I also think last year was an abberation for him. He is not great. And I agree that Kouandjio is a prototypical RT. I hope he takes the job from Pears and excels. However my expectations are tempered by the other Mike Williams, our former #1 draft choice at tackle who was a "prototypical" tackle ans stunk.

Yes it does. You don't link an article you don't agree with.

Why would anyone do that?

You linked those articles because you thought they supported your position.

So answer the question, do you want Pears to start at RT for the Bills this year?

swiper
06-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Yes it does. You don't link an article you don't agree with.

Why would anyone do that?

You linked those articles because you thought they supported your position.

So answer the question, do you want Pears to start at RT for the Bills this year?

I linked those articles so you can see that you're wrong. Which you are regularly.

better days
06-04-2014, 03:37 PM
I linked those articles so you can see that you're wrong. Which you are regularly.

Those articles do not prove I am wrong at all.

When Pears does not start next season, that will prove I am CORRECT.

swiper
06-04-2014, 06:37 PM
Those articles do not prove I am wrong at all.

When Pears does not start next season, that will prove I am CORRECT.

No it won't. Not at all. You make no sense whatsoever.

TigerJ
06-04-2014, 08:35 PM
From the outside looking in, it's hard to imagine Urbik getting cut. He's not the most athletic guard in the league, but he's a known quantity. He's pretty steady. I don't think cost is that much of a factor. The thing is, the Bills have a lot of young guys in the picture at guard. Richardson has struggled in OTAs a bit, but that's hardly a shock. He still has plenty of opportunity to get it. The Bills clearly like Unga. I don't have any idea where that leaves McClain and Asper. If some of these young guys are better than we realize, Urbik could be a surprise cut.

YardRat
06-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Yes but the case you're making is that no matter how bad he plays or how good others plays he stays. That's a very dangerous precedent.

All of the new guys beating out the incumbent starter and previous season's best player at the position, although possible, is highly unlikely. Add in one of those, or somebody else, also playing well enough to beat him out for the back-up center spot makes the possibility even more unlikely. Even if one or two of the youngsters may appear to perform better during camp, experience counts for something, especially when that experience is at multiple positions. More than one player is going to have to blow the socks off the coaching staff in order for Urbik to lose a roster spot, and even with the very remote chance that happens, than good...cut him loose.

better days
06-04-2014, 11:22 PM
No it won't. Not at all. You make no sense whatsoever.

BS you are the one that makes no sense at all!

gr8slayer
06-05-2014, 07:46 AM
No huge surprises, but I don't know how I feel about cutting OL with starting experience. You've got to have all the depth you can get along the OL/DL.

EDS
06-05-2014, 09:06 AM
From the outside looking in, it's hard to imagine Urbik getting cut. He's not the most athletic guard in the league, but he's a known quantity. He's pretty steady. I don't think cost is that much of a factor. The thing is, the Bills have a lot of young guys in the picture at guard. Richardson has struggled in OTAs a bit, but that's hardly a shock. He still has plenty of opportunity to get it. The Bills clearly like Unga. I don't have any idea where that leaves McClain and Asper. If some of these young guys are better than we realize, Urbik could be a surprise cut.

Who is Unga and why do the Bills like him so much?

better days
06-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Who is Unga and why do the Bills like him so much?

JJ Unga, 6'5" 320lbs OL.

I guess his size is the reason they like him.

Whaley has said he likes BIG.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-05-2014, 10:07 AM
JJ Unga, 6'5" 320lbs OL.

They like Unga because his name is literally the sound you make when he hits you.

EDS
06-05-2014, 11:00 AM
JJ Unga, 6'5" 320lbs OL.

Same size as Urbik then.

I doubt Urbik's roster spot is at risk as I expect him to be better than Williams by a fair bit.

better days
06-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Same size as Urbik then.

I doubt Urbik's roster spot is at risk as I expect him to be better than Williams by a fair bit.

I don't know if Urbik wins the starting job, but I don't think he is in any danger of being cut.

TigerJ
06-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Who is Unga and why do the Bills like him so much?Unga is reportedly very athletic, a Pacific islander (Samoan?)

swiper
06-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Unga is reportedly very athletic, a Pacific islander (Samoan?)

Being Samoan means he's athletic? Jimmy the Greek lost his job because of similar comments about black athletes (LINK (http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/10/racist-sports-statements-25-years/jimmy-the-greek-says-black-people-are-better-athle)).

better days
06-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Being Samoan means he's athletic? Jimmy the Greek lost his job because of similar comments about black athletes (LINK (http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/10/racist-sports-statements-25-years/jimmy-the-greek-says-black-people-are-better-athle)).

That does not mean he was wrong, he was just not PC.

DraftBoy
06-08-2014, 12:07 PM
All of the new guys beating out the incumbent starter and previous season's best player at the position, although possible, is highly unlikely. Add in one of those, or somebody else, also playing well enough to beat him out for the back-up center spot makes the possibility even more unlikely. Even if one or two of the youngsters may appear to perform better during camp, experience counts for something, especially when that experience is at multiple positions. More than one player is going to have to blow the socks off the coaching staff in order for Urbik to lose a roster spot, and even with the very remote chance that happens, than good...cut him loose.

Experience is great in the locker room and on the sidelines but if the guy isn't one of the best OG's we have between the sidelines then its time to let him go.

stuckincincy
06-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Experience is great in the locker room and on the sidelines but if the guy isn't one of the best OG's we have between the sidelines then its time to let him go.

If they are determined to compound last year's felony and continue to think that quick snaps are an adequate crutch for a marginal line and a rookie QB (it's not), they better move Glenn inside because that's where a lot of defensive pressure is coming these days.

YardRat
06-08-2014, 04:29 PM

OK...let's assume for argument's sake that all of the youngsters perform better than Urbik in OTA's, TC, and PS.
Let's also assume, since you restricted your argument to 'best OG's', that nobody (other than Wood) plays better than Urbik at center.
Do you cut him, since the youngsters out-performed him at G, or do you keep him for depth at multiple positions?

DraftBoy
06-08-2014, 04:47 PM
OK...let's assume for argument's sake that all of the youngsters perform better than Urbik in OTA's, TC, and PS.
Let's also assume, since you restricted your argument to 'best OG's', that nobody (other than Wood) plays better than Urbik at center.
Do you cut him, since the youngsters out-performed him at G, or do you keep him for depth at multiple positions?

I cut him, I don't keep useless parts on my roster when the limit is 53.

YardRat
06-08-2014, 04:59 PM
I cut him, I don't keep useless parts on my roster when the limit is 53.

A veteran back-up G/C with starting experience at both positions is useless? Who on the roster that didn't outplay Urbik at C is going to back up Wood?

TigerJ
06-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Being Samoan means he's athletic? Jimmy the Greek lost his job because of similar comments about black athletes (LINK (http://www.complex.com/sports/2013/10/racist-sports-statements-25-years/jimmy-the-greek-says-black-people-are-better-athle)).Point taken. Being a Pacfic Islander doesn't automatically mean he's athletic. The Bills, however, seem to think Unga fits the bill of a big athletic lineman