• Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Buscaglia: 5 Bills that could be in danger of being cut

5 Bills that could be in danger of being cut

by Joe Buscaglia

The next chapter of the offseason begins on Wednesday, when most of the 90 members on the Buffalo Bills active roster convene in Orchard Park for the start of Organized Team Activities. It’s their first bit of on-field work as an entire team in 2014, and it’s our first chance to see how the depth chart stacks up.

Now, we finish the three-part series heading into OTAs with five notable players who might not make it through to the 53-man roster in September. Keep in mind, these are for players who have had a role with the team in the past.

Here’s a look at who might be in danger:

1) WR T.J. Graham

2) CB Ron Brooks

3) FB Frank Summers

4) OT Erik Pears - ... In 2013, Pears was likely out the door as long as Chris Hairston was healthy enough to start at right tackle for the team. Hairston never was able to get on the field, meaning Pears stuck around on the roster. Even if Kouandjio is ready and takes the starting job, there’s still a chance for Pears to stick on the roster as a backup tackle. If one of Hairston or seventh-round pick Seantrel Henderson perform well during training camp or the preseason (the Bills would likely prefer it to be Henderson), that could spell the end of Pears with the Buffalo Bills. There are some variables here, but Pears’ spot on the roster is in jeopardy.

5) G Kraig Urbik

Read more: http://www.wgr550.com/Bills-Beat-Blo...669?pid=404493
    Last edited by swiper; 05-30-2014, 04:35 AM.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Buscaglia: 5 Bills that could be in danger of being cut

I could see the first four, but Urbik shouldn't be in any danger.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

5) G Kraig Urbik
      - Perhaps more of a long shot to be released than any of the other four, it’s fair to include Kraig Urbik on this list because the Bills have showed that they are looking to upgrade at right guard. Whether it’s with J.J. ‘Unga, fifth-round pick Cyril Richardson, Antoine McClain or Mark Asper, there are a lot of young players that will be battling to take that job away from Urbik this summer. If he does indeed lose that starting job, his contract could spell the end of his tenure with the Bills. As it currently stands, Urbik has cap hits of $3.375 million in 2014, $3.675 million in 2015 and $4 million in 2016. If they were to cut him after training camp, it would save them approximately $875,000 on the 2014 cap, as long as they lump his prorated signing bonus into a hit this year. Using ‘Unga at right guard late in the season shows that they’re looking to upgrade, so Urbik needs to have a strong training camp in 2014. If he does and proves to be the top option to start for 2014, the Bills will have no problem with keeping him around. If one of those aforementioned younger players steps up and outperforms him though, it could mean trouble for Urbik.

Comment

• Swiper
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2010

They take the monetary savings as justification.

It's the old argument, "if we can get the same performance from a younger, cheaper player..."

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

IMO the team would need two of the mentioned youngsters, plus Williams, to 'step up' before Urbik gets cut. I just don't see that happening this season. If any of the kids do show promise, however, Kraig could be in the same position next season that Pears is right now.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

I could see Urbik sticking one more year. The first four are definitely in danger, as they should be. Crazy depth on the O line now.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Pears should be at the top of the list.

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Graham, Brooks, and Summers should be on the chopping block.

Not Pears or Urbik.

Injuries...

Deep teams have more sustained success. Start the youngsters if they earn it but keep the vets for depth on the OL.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                  Graham, Brooks, and Summers should be on the chopping block.

Not Pears or Urbik.

Injuries...

Deep teams have more sustained success. Start the youngsters if they earn it but keep the vets for depth on the OL.
                  I agree about Urbik, but Pears has proven he is terrible.

I would rather keep a talented rookie with potential to IMPROVE than Pears who will never be any better than TERRIBLE.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                    I agree about Urbik, but Pears has proven he is terrible.

I would rather keep a talented rookie with potential to IMPROVE than Pears who will never be any better than TERRIBLE.
                    We certainly needed to upgrade Pears, but we can absolutely do worse then him. Perhaps this is the year that Chris Hairston finally surpasses him to become our vet depth behind the rookie.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                      We certainly needed to upgrade Pears, but we can absolutely do worse then him. Perhaps this is the year that Chris Hairston finally surpasses him to become our vet depth behind the rookie.
                      Yeah, Chris Hairston is healthy & ready to go. Add in 7th rnd pick, Seantral Henderson to the mix with 2nd rnd pick, Cyrus Kouandjio.

I don't see any room on the roster for Pears who was terrible last year.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
                        Yeah, Chris Hairston is healthy & ready to go. Add in 7th rnd pick, Seantral Henderson to the mix with 2nd rnd pick, Cyrus Kouandjio.

I don't see any room on the roster for Pears who was terrible last year.
                        Henderson is PS eligible and that may be the plan. If we stash him on the PS, that gives us a 7 OL rotation of Glenn, Williams, Wood, Urbik, Kouandijio starting with Hairston, Richardson as backups and the remaining guys fighting for 1 or 2 spots. Last year we carried 9 OL.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DANNY BATTEN POWER View Post
                          Yeah, hold onto Urbik one more year. I want Graham gone so badly...one of the most inexplicable, useless picks of all time
                          See: Roscoe Parrish

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                            Henderson is PS eligible and that may be the plan. If we stash him on the PS, that gives us a 7 OL rotation of Glenn, Williams, Wood, Urbik, Kouandijio starting with Hairston, Richardson as backups and the remaining guys fighting for 1 or 2 spots. Last year we carried 9 OL.
                            If the Bills try to stash Henderson, I would expect another team to grab him.

The Bills only invested a 7th rnd pick on him, but a team that picked him up from the Bills would have zero investment.............for a guy with 1st rnd talent.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                              I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                              See: Roscoe Parrish
                              I was not happy at all with Roscoe's pick, but at least we had on him ST's production!
                              The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

Working...
                              X