PDA

View Full Version : Bills Have an Elite LB Corps

Ed
05-30-2014, 01:22 PM
According to Danny Kelly of SB Nation the 49ers and Bills have the best LB corps in the league and both are elite. I'm a little surprised by this, but it's always exciting to see the team get some positive praise.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/30/5742946/best-nfl-linebacker-corps-bills-49ers-kiko-alonso-novorro-bowman

Buffalo Bills

MLB/WLB Kiko Alonso, MLB Brandon Spikes, SLB Manny Lawson, WLB/ILB Nigel Bradham, OLB Ty Powell, MLB/OLB Keith Rivers, MLB Preston Brown

The Bills already had a very nice group of linebackers in 2013 featuring Nigel Bradham, Manny Lawson, and highlighted by Kiko Alonso's Defensive Rookie of the Year performance. Alonso racked up an impressive 159 tackles while adding 11 passes defensed and four picks in his premiere season out of Oregon. Alonso is an instinctive, fast-flowing and aggressive linebacker built in the "new-school" mode which asks for more speed and coverage ability.

Because of this, he will now play on the weakside in base downs his sophomore season with the addition of Brandon Spikes in free agency. Spikes, a fearsome old-school run stopper that has yet to prove he's a three-down player, will likely rotate a little bit with Bradham and Alonso in nickel or third down looks, as both are strong in pass coverage. Alonso in particular

With the selection of Preston Brown in the Draft, Buffalo's linebackers group gets another talent infusion, and with Ty Powell and Keith Rivers for depth, I like the group they've built there.

stuckincincy
05-30-2014, 01:26 PM
:lolhit:

better days
05-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Some people on this board poo poo Spikes as a two down LB.

But he is the BEST run stopping LB in the NFL.

I read the Pats* boards & I can say, Pats* fans did not want to see him land in the AFC East.

Skooby
05-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Run stopping ?? We haven't stopped the run since I don't know when.

stuckincincy
05-30-2014, 02:32 PM

I read the Pats* boards & I can say, Pats* fans did not want to see him land in the AFC East.

He's but a lightweight DL that Grandma Moses could deke on a flare pass. You want this guy in on 1st and 2nd? NE washed their hands of him...ask yourself why.

better days
05-30-2014, 02:48 PM
He's but a lightweight DL that Grandma Moses could deke on a flare pass. You want this guy in on 1st and 2nd? NE washed their hands of him...ask yourself why.

We know why. BELICHECK.

Look what happened to the Pats* in the Championship game.

Belichick cut off his nose to spite his face in that game & it cost him.

Now he is even more ugly than before.

THATHURMANATOR
05-30-2014, 02:56 PM

I don't want to.

stuckincincy
05-30-2014, 03:01 PM
We know why. BELICHECK.

Look what happened to the Pats* in the Championship game.

Belichick cut off his nose to spite his face in that game & it cost him.

Now he is even more ugly than before.

Look what happened to the Pats - nose or not, since he showed up:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/

Feel free to post a cheating riposte.

Meathead
05-30-2014, 03:04 PM
spikes was easily the bills top fa target by a longshot bc he was the best available lb by a longshot. so to get him was huge for their chances this season. hes not a megastud, but hes exactly what this defense was desperate for: the guy who will stop some scrub named lagarret blount from gaining eight yards a pop right up the freakin gut

i pretty much hated him as a cheater but he has the potential to be the lynchpin that helps pull it all together for this new Use The Schwartz defense. im not sure i would put them into elite status due mainly to some questionable backups but theres no doubt they have the potential to be quite good

Pinkerton Security
05-30-2014, 03:16 PM
What were we terrible at 2 years ago? Rushing the passer. WHat did we do? Sign the top pass rusher available. Were Bills "realists" happy? no.

What were we terrible at for the last few years? Run defense. What did we do? Sign the best Run stuffing MLB available. Were Bills "realists" happy? No.

And you wonder why people call you negative nancies. While it hasnt translated into winning (yet) and we still have lots we're bad at, but that doesnt mean you can simply dismiss the Spikes signing as a bad one because that supports your anti-Bills mindset.

stuckincincy
05-30-2014, 03:36 PM
What were we terrible at 2 years ago? Rushing the passer. WHat did we do? Sign the top pass rusher available. Were Bills "realists" happy? no.

What were we terrible at for the last few years? Run defense. What did we do? Sign the best Run stuffing MLB available. Were Bills "realists" happy? No.

And you wonder why people call you negative nancies. While it hasnt translated into winning (yet) and we still have lots we're bad at, but that doesnt mean you can simply dismiss the Spikes signing as a bad one because that supports your anti-Bills mindset.

His Highness was cast off by a dynasty. I've not heard much - if anything - saying he has even adequate pass coverage skills. So when I oppose BUF and I see him in, you have invited me to toss the ball in his general area of responsibility knowing odds are he can't cover.

Sweet.

better days
05-30-2014, 03:46 PM
His Highness was cast off by a dynasty. I've not heard much - if anything - saying he has even adequate pass coverage skills. So when I oppose BUF and I see him in, you have invited me to toss the ball in his general area of responsibility knowing odds are he can't cover.

Sweet.

Well, the Pats gave up 400 YDS passing in the Championship game!

And you can't blame Spikes for that because he didn't play thanks to Belicheck.

And the Pats* gave up over 100 yds rushing to top it off without Spikes on the field.

jimmifli
05-30-2014, 04:10 PM

Sweet.

It's irrelevant. He's a run down LB. If teams want to target him that's fine, we win the matchup over the longterm. 65% completion % means that our defence is going to see a lot of 2nd 10s. Even if it's completed it's only 6-8 yards. If offences aren't running and extending drives, our D stays fresh. Our D dictates the matchup. Sweet.

swiper
05-30-2014, 04:17 PM

LOL. You read on the Pats board so you are an expert on this and Spikes is the best run-stopping LB in the league. Yet the Patriots, who are exponential levels better than the Bills let him walk. Ok. Makes sense.

swiper
05-30-2014, 04:21 PM

The realists are glad the Bills signed Spikes. And they realize he is a 2 down, run-stopping LB. What they laugh at is the suggestion that he is a 3-down LB. Simple enough?

EDS
05-30-2014, 05:20 PM
The Pats give up more yards per carry last season then the Bills.

YardRat
05-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Certainly not elite, but they do have potential. I like the mix of experience and youth.

SpikedLemonade
05-30-2014, 05:43 PM

You just don't understand.

Everything is better in Buffalo.

My Polish grandma said so.

ServoBillieves
05-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Spikes, Fletcher, Crowell... miss those days.

SquishDaFish
05-30-2014, 06:01 PM
I live in NE so I know firsthand what hes about and listen the sports station and hear their opinions. You haters are going to hate everything until we are a playoff winning team. Just STFU it gets OLD. He was thrown out of NE because he didnt get along with Belicheat. NOT because of his play. He is one of the better Run stop type LBs. Yes hes not the best in coverage but our weakness has been against the run. HE HELPS THAT INSTANTLY!

better days
05-30-2014, 10:45 PM
You just don't understand.

Everything is better in Buffalo.

My Polish grandma said so.

People like you are the reason for Polish jokes.

Skooby
05-30-2014, 11:13 PM
People like you are the reason for Polish jokes.

Except when Perogi is served, then the jokes over.

Parzival
05-31-2014, 12:11 AM
Spikes, Fletcher, Crowell... miss those days.

Nastiest set of linebackers I've ever seen.

d1220
05-31-2014, 01:58 AM

Bennett, Talley, Conlan

Jan Reimers
05-31-2014, 04:25 AM
Bennett, Talley, Conlan

Tracey, Jacobs and Stratton.

swiper
05-31-2014, 05:01 AM

Bryce Paup and Chris Spielman?

swiper
05-31-2014, 05:05 AM
I live in NE so I know firsthand what hes about and listen the sports station and hear their opinions. You haters are going to hate everything until we are a playoff winning team. Just STFU it gets OLD. He was thrown out of NE because he didnt get along with Belicheat. NOT because of his play. He is one of the better Run stop type LBs. Yes hes not the best in coverage but our weakness has been against the run. HE HELPS THAT INSTANTLY!

Who hates this signing? I thought it was a question of whether he'd be in on 3rd down or not. And that's a simple enough decision to leave to the coaches. The Spikes signing was great. SO nice to see a real MLB brought in here. And to see them draft another to learn from him hopefully will look brilliant in a few years.

better days
05-31-2014, 08:02 AM
Who hates this signing? I thought it was a question of whether he'd be in on 3rd down or not. And that's a simple enough decision to leave to the coaches. The Spikes signing was great. SO nice to see a real MLB brought in here. And to see them draft another to learn from him hopefully will look brilliant in a few years.

If it is 3rd & short, Spikes will be on the field.

PromoTheRobot
05-31-2014, 08:03 AM
I'm stunned there isn't an Opi reply saying this thread is nonsense and that the Bills still suck.

Novacane
05-31-2014, 08:31 AM

Sweet.

:headscrat: They haven't won a SB in 9 years. They are not a dynasty

better days
05-31-2014, 08:52 AM
:headscrat: They haven't won a SB in 9 years. They are not a dynasty

And they never won a SB without CHEATING.

Some dynasty.

swiper
05-31-2014, 09:05 AM
If it is 3rd & short, Spikes will be on the field.

Perhaps. It's not a given. It's a play-by-play thing. I think you would agree that the coaches are capable of making those calls. I don't think you're going to ALWAYS see him in there in those situations. A lot of teams, these days, are more prone to throw in those situations than in days gone by.

swiper
05-31-2014, 09:08 AM
And on another note, how is it that Rivers comes here and seems to be handed a starting spot? The Giants had linebacking deficits last year and Rivers wasn't playing there regularly IIRC.

better days
05-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Perhaps. It's not a given. It's a play-by-play thing. I think you would agree that the coaches are capable of making those calls. I don't think you're going to ALWAYS see him in there in those situations. A lot of teams, these days, are more prone to throw in those situations than in days gone by.

Yes, the Coaches make the call, but with 3rd & one or 3rd & two or even three, I think the call will be to have Spikes on the field.

Some teams may be more inclined to throw the ball in those situations than others, but I think Spikes is on the field for the majority of those situations.

And I don't think Rivers will be handed anything, he will have to earn it.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Who has actually come out and hated the Spikes signing? I don't hate the guy, I just think he's being overrated on this board and it doesn't nearly offset the losses we had this season. Nor do we even have the guarantee of keeping him in 2015.

better days
05-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Tracey, Jacobs and Stratton.

Never saw another hit like the one Stratton put on Kieth Lincoln of the Chargers in the AFL Championship game.

Lincoln was NEVER the same after that clean HARD hit by Mike Stratton..

better days
05-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Who has actually come out and hated the Spikes signing? I don't hate the guy, I just think he's being overrated on this board and it doesn't nearly offset the losses we had this season. Nor do we even have the guarantee of keeping him in 2015.

Well, I totally disagree with this.

In the first place, Spikes is being UNDER RATED by MANY people on this board.

In the 2nd place, Byrd will not be that hard to replace & Spikes fills a HUGE NEED the Bills had.

Spikes MORE than offsets the loss of Byrd & every other player no longer on the Bills from last year.

pmoon6
05-31-2014, 12:21 PM
"Bills Suck"............