PDA

View Full Version : Florida shopping #1? could Murray make deal to get two draft picks

DetDannyWilliams
06-01-2014, 10:23 AM
A couple of sources confirm Murray was chatting here this week with Florida GM Dale Tallon (Murray and Tallon, like most NHL GMs, were not here Saturday and left the physical testing watch to their assistants or strength coaches). Tallon has been quite forthcoming about the Panthers shopping the No. 1 pick and said “I’m open for business” during a radio interview a couple weeks ago on a Toronto all-sports station.
How do the Sabres get involved? A couple of the second-rounders could be packaged. Perhaps the St. Louis first-rounder next year. And how about a current player, especially someone from the ever-crowded defense to help fill the Panthers’ need?
Christian Ehrhoff, for instance, has a very cap-friendly $4 million salary for the next seven years. He has grown tired of losing in Buffalo and might welcome a change of scenery to a team a little bit ahead of the Sabres in the growing process that features former Vancouver teammate Roberto Luongo in goal. Or perhaps Tyler Myers and his $5.5 million cap hit could be of interest.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/mike-harrington/ekblads-ability-could-be-tempting-for-sabres-20140531

Skooby
06-01-2014, 03:05 PM
$4 Million in FL where there's no state taxes, juicy.

JATMtheJATM
06-03-2014, 10:45 AM
the word is, teams are really pushing to get a top 3 pick. apparently, fla, buf, and edm have been fielding many calls about the picks, because the interest in a potential franchise player is high (duh) but with the weak draft, it makes those picks even more valuable.

coastal
06-03-2014, 11:58 AM
I would trade the pick for a 2015 first rounder, swap of first rounders, and time if their top prospects (especially a goalie).

JATMtheJATM
06-03-2014, 12:04 PM
heres a nice article on rebuilding through the draft.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/05/30/buffalo-sabres-gm-tim-murray-aiming-to-rebuild-roster-through-upcoming-draft/

trapezeus
06-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I would trade the pick for a 2015 first rounder, swap of first rounders, and time if their top prospects (especially a goalie).

the 2015 first rounder could be mcdavid. the bills and sabres trade out of the 2015 first round they year they both need it the most? No thanks.

coastal
06-03-2014, 04:25 PM
the 2015 first rounder could be mcdavid. the bills and sabres trade out of the 2015 first round they year they both need it the most? No thanks.
No what I mean is I would trade our second overall for the other team's first this year, their first next year and one of their best prospects.

Skooby
06-03-2014, 04:57 PM
No what I mean is I would trade our second overall for the other team's first this year, their first next year and one of their best prospects.

It'd be better if it was an NHL player & not a prospect.

Ginger Vitis
06-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Rumour out of Toronto is Dion Phaneuf.. Nazem Kadri and the 8th overall pick to Florida for Ed Jovanoski and the No.1 pick

Anaheim apparently wants to get as high as they can.. Under the Coastal scenario the Sabres get the No.24 pick in 2014..Anaheims 1st Round pick in 2015 and John Gibson(widely considered to be he best goalie prospect in the NHL)

Ginger Vitis
06-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Craig Custance of ESPN

" Sabres have 3 2nd round picks and want another 1st Round pick.. Sabres will get calls on Christian Ehrhoff and will trade a 2nd round pick and Ehrhoff and try to get as high as they can in the 1st round"

DetDannyWilliams
06-03-2014, 07:04 PM
According to sources at the NHL combine this weekend, several teams have aggressively pursued trades with Florida and Buffalo, owners of the first and second overall picks respectively. Panthers general manager Dale Tallon has said from Day 1 that he’s entertaining all offers, though he has given no indication exactly what the price tag might be, nor what make or model he’s in the market for. For his part, Sabres GM Tim Murray has shuffled the deck aggressively since he arrived in mid-season. The prevailing wisdom in the marketplace is that Tallon and Murray might be motivated dealers.
One scout aware of multiple offers for the top two picks said, “The going price to move up into those [first two] spots would be picks — a high first and a second or third — and an established player that helps your top two lines.”
Tallon and Murray would be motivated traders but with divergent motives.

Does Sam Bennett or Aaron Ekblad significantly boost the roster next year? Bennett might be best served with another year back in junior — the call the Panthers made with Huberdeau, who at least managed a chin-up at the NHL combine in his year. As for Ekblad, the opening for a right-handed shot would seem to be there with the trade of Mike Weaver to Montreal. Ekblad would seem a better fit in Florida than Gudbranson. Still, it would seem the Panthers need a player — or players — who can lead and provide immediate help rather than other works in progress. Tallon has taken a few desperate swings with vets in the past couple of years (e.g. Scott Gomez and Tim Thomas). With his job security surely on the line, he might be coaxed by veteran talent that’s more bankable than reclamation jobs.
It’s a different situation for Murray in Buffalo. Time isn’t on any GM’s side, really, but he has more of it to play with than Tallon. Replacing Darcy Regier in mid-season, he has a season’s grace as well as the second, 31st and 39th overall picks in June. He also has the New York Islanders’ first-rounder in 2015 (not lottery-protected) from the Thomas Vanek trade and the St. Louis Blues’ first next year from the Ryan Miller-Steve Ott trade. Add to that nine picks in the first or second round in the last two drafts. With the Sabres’ own pick and the Islanders’ selection, Murray has what looks like two viable tickets in next year’s Connor McDavid-Jack Eichel derby, a stronger draft than this one. In fact, either McDavid or Eichel would likely be the first overall pick in this year’s draft if under-agers were eligible.
Murray is listening to offers — if somehow he were able to convert his available assets (including his chip from the Blues) into two picks in the first 20 or better next month, he’d move on it. It will have to be a first-liner to get his attention if a prospective trade partner puts an established veteran in play.
If Murray stands pat, it won’t be because he has taken the phone off the hook. Open for business? He’ll do everything but set up a 1-800 hotline.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/top-two-picks-may-be-available-at-nhl-draft/

don137
06-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Really hope they stay at number 2. Get a blue chip prospect for the first time in years. Don't need additional mid first round picks and second/ third line player. That got us no where in past 15 years. We need a future all star. Don't want to have suffered for status quo draft selection.

coastal
06-04-2014, 05:36 AM
Rumour out of Toronto is Dion Phaneuf.. Nazem Kadri and the 8th overall pick to Florida for Ed Jovanoski and the No.1 pick

Anaheim apparently wants to get as high as they can.. Under the Coastal scenario the Sabres get the No.24 pick in 2014..Anaheims 1st Round pick in 2015 and John Gibson(widely considered to be he best goalie prospect in the NHL)
Oh god yes to both.

Dion Phaneuf and Kadri gone? Please, please, pretty please.

Skooby
06-04-2014, 05:39 AM
I hope the Blues & Isles suck real bad next season, so we have a chance to pick 1,2 & 3. That'd set us up for years of great hockey, something we have been lacking.

Skooby
06-04-2014, 05:40 AM
Oh god yes to both.

Dion Phaneuf and Kadri gone? Please, please, pretty please.

Agreed.

JATMtheJATM
06-04-2014, 10:01 AM
i dont mind the anahiem trade, but id hope they would trade for a higher first in a separate move.

trapezeus
06-04-2014, 12:00 PM
gibson struggled in one of the playoff games, but i think i remember thinking he was just put in a terrible position.

i also think if we are going back to 24, we need a legit day 1 starter on top of their #1. Most likely their #1 next year isn't going to be lottery eligible.

i don't know their team well enough to know who I would ask for.

after the pull up scandal, i'm kind of down on all three from my 2 minute youtube watching of the guys. i think adding one of these guys isn't an instant change. i know the pull up isn't supposed to be a big deal, but his highlights are more regular season beauty goals. not a lot of hard work goals. i'm happy i don't have to make this decision.

JATMtheJATM
06-04-2014, 12:06 PM
gibson struggled in one of the playoff games, but i think i remember thinking he was just put in a terrible position.

i also think if we are going back to 24, we need a legit day 1 starter on top of their #1. Most likely their #1 next year isn't going to be lottery eligible.

after the pull up scandal, i'm kind of down on all three from my 2 minute youtube watching of the guys. i think adding one of these guys isn't an instant change. i know the pull up isn't supposed to be a big deal, but his highlights are more regular season beauty goals. not a lot of hard work goals. i'm happy i don't have to make this decision.

i dont know. i read an article and it was saying how many GMs are trying to trade up into the top 3. the belief is while this draft class overall is weak, and even the top 3 are weaker then most years themselves, bennett, reinhart, and ekblad still possess franchise player type potential. will they live up to it? hard to say, but overall, these 3 players can change the course of the franchises who draft them. not overnight like a crosby, but down the road.

Ginger Vitis
06-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Pull up scandal? Granted Bennett not being able to do one pullup at the combine is getting a lot of talk in the media right now but 2 months ago I would have said Bennett needs another year in junior to get stronger.. Bennett might score "beauty" goals but he is no princess on the ice

OpIv37
06-04-2014, 12:17 PM
What does stockpiling 2nd rounders in a weak draft accomplish?

If we can get picks next year, maybe, but it sounds like we are better off at 2

JATMtheJATM
06-04-2014, 12:19 PM
What does stockpiling 2nd rounders in a weak draft accomplish?

If we can get picks next year, maybe, but it sounds like we are better off at 2

eh, youd be surprised. you could hit big on a second rounder. you can use them as trade assets. you can use them to draft specific needs player, or, my fav this year, use one to draft a goalie high. thats what i want. a goalie high in the draft.

- - - Updated - - -

Pull up scandal? Granted Bennett not being able to do one pullup at the combine is getting a lot of talk in the media right now but 2 months ago I would have said Bennett needs another year in junior to get stronger.. Bennett might score "beauty" goals but he is no princess on the ice

i love who they keep comparing bennett to; dougie gilmour. in his prime, he was a star and a major asset. we saw him in the twilight of his career in buffalo.

coastal
06-04-2014, 02:39 PM
My concern is about the no pull-up problem... no it's not a hockey move but does he have the core strength to withstand a full NHL season, including playoffs... Especially the way he reportedly plays the game?

its a very legitimate concern.

JATMtheJATM
06-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't think its a concern because I really feel buffalo is going to pass on him.

coastal
06-04-2014, 02:57 PM
I don't think its a concern because I really feel buffalo is going to pass on him.
I didn't see how you can think it's not a concern. There's a reason these guys have offseason conditioning programs... and it's not just to improve their skating.

JATMtheJATM
06-04-2014, 03:13 PM
If Bennett isn't selected by buffalo, why would I be concerned?

coastal
06-04-2014, 03:35 PM
If Bennett isn't selected by buffalo, why would I be concerned?
Gotcha

JATMtheJATM
06-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Though I hope he is somewhat. I like Bennett's style of play.

coastal
06-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Well by all reports, the Sabres think a Reinhart is an amazing playmaker. I've also seen where they think DalColle is a goal scorer off the wing, but will need someone to get him the puck.

I'd like to see the deal where we get back up into the top 5 to get both.

trapezeus
06-05-2014, 07:48 AM
i just don't watch non NHL hockey. so i was joking about the youtube clips. i realize that doesn't make me an expert on him at all. but it just seemed like with his size, and not being able to do a single pull up, that durability will be hard for him. he didn't have the patrick kane type patience of a smaller player...but again, i'm saying that on youtube clips.

whoever they take, i'd get on board with. i thought reinhartlooked the most like a pro.

i also think if the sabres can get a handful of FA in and buy our leino, the team looks a lot better. maybe a 10-9 seed. but you never know.

Ginger Vitis
06-05-2014, 08:01 AM
i also think if the sabres can get a handful of FA in and buy our leino, the team looks a lot better. maybe a 10-9 seed. but you never know.

Probably but the 9th or 10th seed they are missing the playoffs again.. Id rather the Sabres do just enough to get to the floor and finish last.. Then try to add FAs next years offseason

trapezeus
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
agreed. if the isle and the sabres could suck next year, it relaly will be a game changer. i'd like to just get some hard working guys in fa that have 5-7 years in them. then give them lights out talent with high draft picks.

the immediate concern is the team has no on ice leadership. so a couple tier b FA could help change the general idea of leadership, but not be talented enough to really make a difference from us being the worst or 3rd worst team. that would allow the miracle situation of us being in the running for mcdavid and another top 5 forward being able to come into a stable team that just needed talent.

That's the kind of thing that makes the rebuild a 3 Y effort vs a 5-6 year effort.

JATMtheJATM
06-05-2014, 11:15 AM
ideally, the sabres would finish a point out of 8th and somehow win the lottery while the isles have the worst record. but, come on. thatll never happen.

trapezeus
06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
ideally, the sabres would finish a point out of 8th and somehow win the lottery while the isles have the worst record. but, come on. thatll never happen.

should we save this post? it would be amazing if it did play out like this.

JATMtheJATM
06-05-2014, 12:05 PM
should we save this post? it would be amazing if it did play out like this.

well, of course it would be amazing. im looking forward to the day when we watch sabres games that have meaning. i mean, i guess that happened down the stretch of 2013, but still, that team was over-achieving at the time.