PDA

View Full Version : Woods delegated to slot duty?

stuckincincy
06-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Robert Woods expected to take slot role for Bills
By Kevin Patra Around the League writer Published: June 1, 2014 at 10:46 a.m. Updated: June 1, 2014 at 11:28 a.m.

"In 2013, the Buffalo Bills utilized Stevie Johnson mostly from the slot, where the shifty receiver could frustrate cornerbacks with his herky-jerky style.
The team felt comfortable shipping Johnson to the San Francisco 49ers during the NFL draft because they believe second-year wideout Robert Woods can step right into that role.

"We felt very comfortable with him being able to play the slot and be very successful there," coach Doug Marrone said of Woods, per The Buffalo News.

Woods finished his rookie season with 40 catches for 587 yards and three touchdowns. He is coming off offseason ankle surgery and participated only lightly in last week's OTAs."...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000354895/article/robert-woods-expected-to-take-slot-role-for-bills

YardRat
06-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Hey, why not? Personally I think Watkins is better suited for the slot, but Andre made his money from there back in the day.

swiper
06-01-2014, 04:08 PM
We will see. It's very early.

Night Train
06-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Woods can play inside or out, so I don't care. He's a major plus on this team. Loved his clutch 3rd down catches at USC and he showed enough as a rookie... while the QB merry go round due to Manuels' injuries killed the passing game.

He'll move based on when Goodwin enters the lineup. I'm definitely looking for him on 3rd down. Clutch hands and route runner.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Hey, why not? Personally I think Watkins is better suited for the slot, but Andre made his money from there back in the day.

I agree. I thought Watkins made sense in the slot given his skill set. And the thread title implies that'll playing in the slot is a demotion, which i don't agree with.

Woodman
06-01-2014, 05:03 PM
With the cast of talent we'll have this season at WR all WR's will be capable of the other's spot.

Depth talent and speed will be very apparent with this group.

It's gonna be a great year.

Meathead
06-01-2014, 05:34 PM
have we heard anything specifically from a coach on this? and i mean more that 'we have confidence in him there' bc that still doesnt mean he wont get a lot of plays at wideout or that sammy wont run inside routes. sound like this is just a blown out of proportion assumption bc theyve had woods run from the slot in otas

i mean, making something like this official would be out of character for coaches who have consistently stressed versatility and having guys run all the routes. now all of a sudden they are going to declare a shifty fast rookie the designated wide out, while the fluid crisp possession second year guy will be primarily running from the slot?

honestly im very skeptical the coaches have made any determination who gets what title among the wrs. the only close-to lock is probably bearded black williams who is just built to be mostly an outside guy. i suppose they could want to let sammy focus on only one position, but that still wouldnt mean woods wouldnt get a lot of reps on the outside anyway

so doesnt really make sense. we gotta hear something from the coaches on this before id say its any kind of designated permanent assignment

DraftBoy
06-01-2014, 06:15 PM
His route running is probably the best among the current WR's. Slot role makes perfect sense for him, he can use his sharp cuts and angles to create separation and should destroy any matchup with a LB or SAF one on one.

Skooby
06-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Relegated of delegated ?

YardRat
06-01-2014, 08:19 PM
Apparently Hogan had a strong week in the slot also.

OLDSRIP
06-02-2014, 09:19 AM
My guess is that they will use these guys in different spots depending on match ups.

Thief
06-02-2014, 12:21 PM
have we heard anything specifically from a coach on this? and i mean more that 'we have confidence in him there' bc that still doesnt mean he wont get a lot of plays at wideout or that sammy wont run inside routes. sound like this is just a blown out of proportion assumption bc theyve had woods run from the slot in otas

i mean, making something like this official would be out of character for coaches who have consistently stressed versatility and having guys run all the routes. now all of a sudden they are going to declare a shifty fast rookie the designated wide out, while the fluid crisp possession second year guy will be primarily running from the slot?

honestly im very skeptical the coaches have made any determination who gets what title among the wrs. the only close-to lock is probably bearded black williams who is just built to be mostly an outside guy. i suppose they could want to let sammy focus on only one position, but that still wouldnt mean woods wouldnt get a lot of reps on the outside anyway

so doesnt really make sense. we gotta hear something from the coaches on this before id say its any kind of designated permanent assignment

Per Chris Brown...All three have limited time on the field with Manuel and the on field chemistry just isn’t there yet. These OTA practices will be important knowing that Watkins and Williams both figure to be the top two outside receiving threats for Buffalo this season.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/5-things-we-learned-about-the-Bills-offense-this-week/ed50595a-9270-4c76-b9d0-97883318082a

justasportsfan
06-02-2014, 04:06 PM
I think Woods, Watkins,Hogan will all be moved around

DraftBoy
06-02-2014, 05:17 PM
I think Woods, Watkins,Hogan will all be moved around

Are you sure Hogan even makes the team at this point?