PDA

View Full Version : NFL exempt status to be challenged if the Bills purchase group looks to relocate team

Skooby
06-02-2014, 02:59 PM
NFL exempt status to be challenged if the Bills purchase group looks to relocate team, that's what I was just told. There will be questions that arise as to whether the NFL is furthering the entire football industry, versus just an "exclusive" club. The NFL play 64 is a very attempt weak to look like it's furthering football but it's a tick on Godzilla's arse & outside groups can't form NFL "clubs", so it's a closed circle.

If [Section] 501(c)(6) is strongly challenged, it will not hold up regardless of who represents the NFL. You can thank Chuck Schumer for this Sword of Damocles hanging over the NFL if they try to use the Bills to further their cause, Roger knows that they need to stay with their poorer lifestyle (if that's possible) versus the new money they might earn.

OpIv37
06-02-2014, 03:01 PM
First of all, told by who?

Second, isn't this essentially extortion?

Ed
06-02-2014, 03:05 PM
English please.

Skooby
06-02-2014, 03:15 PM

1.) Very highly placed legal friend.

2.) It's out there already, that's why I used the Sword of Damocles as an example:

Many members of the Senate Finance Committee, where Coburn's bill now lies dormant, hail from states where the local NFL team owners have significant political influence.
Among the Democrats on the committee, nine senators represent states which are home to fifteen NFL teams: Charles Schumer (D-NY) (Buffalo Bills, New York Giants, New York Jets), Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) (Detroit Lions), Maria Cantwell (D-WA) (Seattle Seahawks), Bill Nelson (D-FL) (Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Robert Menendez (D-NJ) (Both the New York Jets and the New York Giants play their games in New Jersey), Benjamin L. Cardin (D-MD) (Baltimore Ravens, and the Washington Redskins play their games in Maryland), Sherrod Brown (D-OH) (Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns), Michael F. Bennet (D-CO) (Denver Broncos), and Robert P. Casey, Jr. (D-PA) (Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles).

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/12/08/Political-Battle-Over-NFL-s-Tax-Exempt-Status-Focuses-Attention-on-Sports-Crony-Capitalism

Mr. Pink
06-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Really stopped the Raiders, Rams, Oilers and Browns from moving.

The city of Cleveland sued Art Modell for attempting to move the team, he did anyway.

If someone buys the team with thoughts of relocation in the future, they will relocate and nothing will stop it.

Ed
06-02-2014, 04:36 PM

The city of Cleveland sued Art Modell for attempting to move the team, he did anyway.

If someone buys the team with thoughts of relocation in the future, they will relocate and nothing will stop it.
The other owners can stop a relocation. It only takes 9 other owners to vote "No".

Mr. Pink
06-02-2014, 04:39 PM
The other owners can stop a relocation. It only takes 9 other owners to vote "No".

Yeah, the NFL said no to Al Davis, how did that turn out?

If someone buys the team and wants to relocate it, it will be relocated.

Skooby
06-02-2014, 04:45 PM

Did they have a Senator on a committee with a stalled Bill questioning the NFL exempt status ? REP - Sherrod Brown from Cin / Cleveland is on there as well, think he might have a bone to pick ??

chris66
06-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Did they have a Senator on a committee with a stalled Bill questioning the NFL exempt status ? REP - Sherrod Brown from Cin / Cleveland is on there as well, think he might have a bone to pick ??there are 50 other senators who could give a crap if the Bills move. There are also 32 billionaires that have enough weight to push back as well

better days
06-02-2014, 05:40 PM
there are 50 other senators who could give a crap if the Bills move. There are also 32 billionaires that have enough weight to push back as well

I don't care how much money someone has, It is hard to fight the government.

The NFL is a business, they want to make money, not spend it on legal battles with the government that has unlimited resources.

chris66
06-03-2014, 06:02 AM
I don't care how much money someone has, It is hard to fight the government.

The NFL is a business, they want to make money, not spend it on legal battles with the government that has unlimited resources.
I agree about the government, but we are not tslking about t he government. We are talking about 1 senator trying to appease his constituents. No way the other senator's would move forward with that bill.

Skooby
06-03-2014, 06:39 AM
I agree about the government, but we are not tslking about t he government. We are talking about 1 senator trying to appease his constituents. No way the other senator's would move forward with that bill.

How do you think it got to be a Bill ? There's a committee to review it, do you think he was out on there by accident ?

better days
06-03-2014, 07:53 AM

You don't know that. I think a number of senators would be happy to do away with blacked out games to please their constituents. And politics is all about you vote for what I want, then I will vote for what you want.

Bill Cody
06-03-2014, 09:27 AM
And politics is all about you vote for what I want, then I will vote for what you want.

Not any more it isn't. There isn't 1 single thing that isn't a partisan issue. This is a major pipe dream.

Bill Cody
06-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Yeah, the NFL said no to Al Davis, how did that turn out?

If someone buys the team and wants to relocate it, it will be relocated.

They can but realistically not right away. A $450m penalty is enough to stop just about anyone for the next 6 years at least.

stuckincincy
06-03-2014, 10:15 AM
They can but realistically not right away. A $450m penalty is enough to stop just about anyone for the next 6 years at least.

Yep. The penalty would be for relocation after the current lease terms are satisfied. But a new ownership could try to run the franchise on the cheap, maximizing profits until they could financially bolt out of town. However, there is some internal NFL control about that - CIN owner Mike Brown was taken to the woodshed in the '90s for his cheap ways. These days, there's the cap minimum. Still, a new owner could dance around the edges and bide time until a move...hire worn-out vets with name recognition, feature a spiff rb, draft a bevy of wrs, etc., things to get the ticket buyers excited for a coming season.

cookie G
06-03-2014, 11:21 AM

He was told by Bill Polian.

He was on Sirius the other day and was asked about it.

He said if the NFL attempts to move a team outside of the US...there will be people in Washington challenging the tax exemption.

Skooby
06-03-2014, 11:28 AM
He was told by Bill Polian.

He was on Sirius the other day and was asked about it.

He said if the NFL attempts to move a team outside of the US...there will be people in Washington challenging the tax exemption.

Did Polian really say this ?? That's cool but I didn't talk to Polian, I know it's real though.

Meathead
06-03-2014, 11:51 AM
How do you think it got to be a Bill ?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tyeJ55o3El0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

better days
06-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Yep. The penalty would be for relocation after the current lease terms are satisfied. But a new ownership could try to run the franchise on the cheap, maximizing profits until they could financially bolt out of town. However, there is some internal NFL control about that - CIN owner Mike Brown was taken to the woodshed in the '90s for his cheap ways. These days, there's the cap minimum. Still, a new owner could dance around the edges and bide time until a move...hire worn-out vets with name recognition, feature a spiff rb, draft a bevy of wrs, etc., things to get the ticket buyers excited for a coming season.

I think Bills fans are smarter than some people on this board give them credit for.

Bills fans will know the future of the Bills & if they will be moved or not as soon as the buyer is named.

If the new owner has ties to WNY such as Golisano or Pegula or Jacobs, Bills fans will know the team will stay in Buffalo long term.

If the new owner has no ties to WNY, everyone will know the Bills days in Buffalo are numbered & nothing that owner can do will get fans excited to come to the games.

If that is the case, the Bills will play in an empty stadium until they move.

stuckincincy
06-03-2014, 12:59 PM
I think Bills fans are smarter than some people on this board give them credit for.

Bills fans will know the future of the Bills & if they will be moved or not as soon as the buyer is named.

If the new owner has ties to WNY such as Golisano or Pegula or Jacobs, Bills fans will know the team will stay in Buffalo long term.

If the new owner has no ties to WNY, everyone will know the Bills days in Buffalo are numbered & nothing that owner can do will get fans excited to come to the games.

If that is the case, the Bills will play in an empty stadium until they move.

The smartest NFL fans are those in JAX. They correctly smelled the rats and don't fork it over anymore.

better days
06-03-2014, 01:03 PM
The smartest NFL fans are those in JAX. They correctly smelled the rats and don't fork it over anymore.

What fans in Jacksonville?

They NEVER showed up.

stuckincincy
06-03-2014, 01:09 PM
What fans in Jacksonville?

They NEVER showed up.

That's the idea. Never lick the fannies of multimillionaires.

DraftBoy
06-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Some of you need to go back to school and re-take your government class...

Skooby
06-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Some of you need to go back to school and re-take your government class...

No kidding, these elected officials can make or break businesses and lives at will. The NFL losing this tax status would translate into Billions of dollars in taxes to be paid over time.

WagonCircler
06-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Why bother asking. It's Scooby.

On the other hand, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The NFL has been living off Baseball's exemption for many years, but they don't have one of their own. This is why, for once, I'm rooting for a rat like Schumer. He would totally pull the antitrust card.

cookie G
06-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Did Polian really say this ?? That's cool but I didn't talk to Polian, I know it's real though.

Lol. Someone started a thread about this the other day on another site. They heard Polian on Sirius and mentioned what he said.

You don't have to start a thread here and say.."I was just told".

Frankly, I'd rather hear that the statement came from Polian.

Skooby
06-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Lol. Someone started a thread about this the other day on another site. They heard Polian on Sirius and mentioned what he said.

You don't have to start a thread here and say.."I was just told".

Frankly, I'd rather hear that the statement came from Polian.

Made they heard it from Polian.

stuckincincy
06-03-2014, 03:26 PM
1.) Very highly placed legal friend.

2.) It's out there already, that's why I used the Sword of Damocles as an example:

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/12/08/Political-Battle-Over-NFL-s-Tax-Exempt-Status-Focuses-Attention-on-Sports-Crony-Capitalism

"Many members of the Senate Finance Committee, where Coburn's bill now lies dormant, hail from states where the local NFL team owners have significant political influence.
Among the Democrats on the committee, nine senators represent states which are home to fifteen NFL teams: Charles Schumer (D-NY) (Buffalo Bills, New York Giants, New York Jets), Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) (Detroit Lions), Maria Cantwell (D-WA) (Seattle Seahawks), Bill Nelson (D-FL) (Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tampa Bay Buccaneers), Robert Menendez (D-NJ) (Both the New York Jets and the New York Giants play their games in New Jersey), Benjamin L. Cardin (D-MD) (Baltimore Ravens, and the Washington Redskins play their games in Maryland), Sherrod Brown (D-OH) (Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns), Michael F. Bennet (D-CO) (Denver Broncos), and Robert P. Casey, Jr. (D-PA) (Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles). "

That's a nice listing of self-important tin gods you listed.

Mr. Pink
06-03-2014, 10:34 PM

I don't disagree with that.

What you'll see is a bare bones mickey mouse organization, even worse than it already is, to drive attendance down.

New owner will cite aging poor facilities - which people here even think the Ralph is falling apart, poor attendance, no luxury boxes and simply cannot afford to put together a championship caliber team in that environment.

The team would then be gone because none of the other 31 owners want to have a franchise living off the corporate welfare structure the NFL has, while driving down the value of their own franchise in the process.

better days
06-04-2014, 03:00 PM
I don't disagree with that.

What you'll see is a bare bones mickey mouse organization, even worse than it already is, to drive attendance down.

New owner will cite aging poor facilities - which people here even think the Ralph is falling apart, poor attendance, no luxury boxes and simply cannot afford to put together a championship caliber team in that environment.

The team would then be gone because none of the other 31 owners want to have a franchise living off the corporate welfare structure the NFL has, while driving down the value of their own franchise in the process.

By all accounts of people that have seen the remodel, the Ralph will amaze people with the upgrade remodel.

If people think the new owner has intentions of moving the team, nothing will get them to come to that beautiful remodeled stadium.

On the other hand, if the owner is a Buffalo guy, the place will be packed.

X-Era
06-04-2014, 04:37 PM
NFL exempt status to be challenged if the Bills purchase group looks to relocate team, that's what I was just told. There will be questions that arise as to whether the NFL is furthering the entire football industry, versus just an "exclusive" club. The NFL play 64 is a very attempt weak to look like it's furthering football but it's a tick on Godzilla's arse & outside groups can't form NFL "clubs", so it's a closed circle.

If [Section] 501(c)(6) is strongly challenged, it will not hold up regardless of who represents the NFL. You can thank Chuck Schumer for this Sword of Damocles hanging over the NFL if they try to use the Bills to further their cause, Roger knows that they need to stay with their poorer lifestyle (if that's possible) versus the new money they might earn.The Bills moving has become the most talked about farse since Global Warming.

Very similar actually, both seem possible but have no reality behind them.

DynaPaul
06-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Jerry, Goodell, and the rest of the NFL elite will gladly keep the Bills in Buffalo to save their tax exempt status and stave off any publicity that might shed light on the injustice of it.