PDA

View Full Version : Next year draft and FA

psubills62
06-03-2014, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I know, it's way too early. But it's the offseason and so I'm looking to discuss.

Obviously most of us aren't fans of Manuel at QB. However, with the first rounder traded away (I don't like it either, but it is what it is), QB early is out. I don't want a second round QB in any shape or form. If they're going to draft a QB, take one of those 4th-5th round fliers.

I think next year will be about revamping the DL. They will have spots to fill in across the roster, but the DL is the one area that has not been addressed by the new regime.

I personally despise switching schemes all the time. As a result of switching schemes every 1-2 years, we have a mix of 3-4 (Hughes, Dareus) and 4-3 DL (Williams and Williams) that as individuals, are quite talented, but as a group aren't as good as you might expect.

Kyle Williams is probably on the downhill side of his prime. Dareus is in and out of trouble, and may be gone in a couple years. Mario Williams is an expensive man for his level of production. Unless we're talking QB's, those kinds of players typically don't see the last couple years of their contracts. Branch? Meh. Wynn? Meh.

Dareus is the Haynesworth of Schwartz's scheme, so the DT's could work this year, but I'm skeptical of Hughes at DE. I really think next year they could grab several positions like QB, LB, CB, TE, but in general I think they focus on the DL similar to how they focused on the OL this year with a free agent and three draftees.

Looking at our free agent list for 2015 is a nice surprise. Even if everyone left, we'd only lose a few contributors (Fred Jackson, Brandon Spikes, and Jarius Wynn). With most of the team intact barring releases, I think the DL will be the focus next year.

stuckincincy
06-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Agreed on the "Wheel of Fortune" scheme switching. Nice to know they are in good shape re FAs.

With Dareus' future unknown (they had to know the clouds were gathering), and wondering if Williams is in his twilight, they might have stayed at #9 (in a wr-rich draft class) and taken a shot on DT Aaron Donald and retained next years' #1. But they didn't.

DesertFox24
06-03-2014, 10:55 AM
My lord can we play 8 games before we start throwing EJ under he bus. We have no idea how young players will improve or great players will degrade in talent so lets hold off on this for awhile.

psubills62
06-03-2014, 11:14 AM
My lord can we play 8 games before we start throwing EJ under he bus. We have no idea how young players will improve or great players will degrade in talent so lets hold off on this for awhile.
Didn't throw him under the bus. I said most of us aren't fans, and I mentioned my personal preference regarding drafting non-first-round QB's. There is plenty of opportunity for him to change my mind, but right now I'm going off of what I saw last year.

OpIv37
06-03-2014, 11:26 AM
DT because of Kyle's age and Dareus being in trouble
I suspect we are going to need OL help but it depends on how the rookies develop.
S if no one steps up for Byrd
Definitely TE

And don't rule out RB. Both Jackson and Spiller are FA's and we will likely lose one, possibly both.

Skooby
06-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Too soon to talk about this, seriously.

OpIv37
06-03-2014, 11:27 AM
and I agree with psu- QB is out. For better or worse, they committed to Manuel for the next two seasons.

psubills62
06-03-2014, 12:31 PM
DT because of Kyle's age and Dareus being in trouble
I suspect we are going to need OL help but it depends on how the rookies develop.
S if no one steps up for Byrd
Definitely TE

And don't rule out RB. Both Jackson and Spiller are FA's and we will likely lose one, possibly both.
Yep, could see a free agent DT plus an early and late draftee. Then get a DE or two, even. I could see 4-5 new players on the DL by this time next year.

Not saying it's no longer a concern, but OL has been addressed. Maybe add one more next year, but I could easily see no more additions on the OL next offseason.

Still have two young guys in Meeks and Duke Williams drafted last year. If even one out of three (Searcy plus those two) steps up, should be in solid position there. Again, not saying people shouldn't be concerned about it, but if the Bills are to improve, going to have to rely on drafted players, especially ones with a year in the system. Unless all these guys are complete disasters, don't really see S as a priority next year.

I want to see a TE, but in most systems outside of NE's, it's just not that high of a priority. I'm intrigued by Gragg's athleticism, personally. Could see him coming out of the backfield as a HB in addition to typical TE.

RB is certainly a possibility. Wouldn't be surprised if they see Bryce Brown as a future starter. In that case, they could probably find a UDFA as third string behind Dixon.