• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Thoughts on Marrone's quote?

Marrone went on to say that it’s more important for him to do right by a person who needs help over everything else.

“When any player makes a poor decision I always think of where I made a mistake,” he said. “That’s the truth. I just feel that way and when I make decisions to not play people, bench him and all that other stuff, I do it because winning, don’t get me wrong my job is to win and winning is important, but it’s not as important as trying to help somebody.

“I’d rather lose games and do the right thing in my mind, not everybody else’s mind, not the media’s mind and not the public opinion’s mind. My mind. I’d rather do the right thing and I can live with myself. At the end of the day, I’m the one that is going to have to live with myself. That’s the way I treat it. Right wrong or indifferent, it might not be what people want to hear, but that is more important to me. Trying to do the right thing and help people, than it is to win.”

Doing the right thing more important than winning? Agree/disagree?

• Turf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Thoughts on Marrone's quote?

All I can say is **** that. Win. You're the coach.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

Can't he do both?

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

He's just saying the "right" thing. No problem with the quote.

Comment

• Oaf
          Do you read what you write?
          • Jun 2007

So would you say he's saying what he believes or politic'ing?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Quotes like that, if he really believes them, means he belongs back in the NCAA and not in the NFL.

He's not a babysitter, he's not there to mold young minds, he's there to get players to work together as a team and ultimately win football games.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

I think it's a wonderful quote from a decent human being. And I think he's a dead man walking for his chosen profession because unfortunately the world cares less for glorious teams full of wonderful people that can't win a crap.

Doing the right thing is certainly better than winning if you are Mahatma Gandhi, but I think we'd prefer some shameless Belichick and no one wants to save the world anymore as opposed to giving us some freaking football peace.

Marrone is already done, stick a fork in him and hire a psychopath rabid for wins.

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Oh this upsets me. Mike Williams hasn't even done anything yet, you just know he will, and if he doesn't, it hardly matters because Dimwit Hughes and Baby Huey Dareus got their hands into the Acme dynamite, Alonso will swing at someone, Seantrell will clear a bar of everyone breathing, Marrone will weep and discuss their careers because they are human beings for the love of God and Moorman had a good career as a nice guy so why be mean to him for that neutron weapon at the Galleria. Let's be reasonable fans, I am a weeping Mahatma Gandhi coach and this 5-11 was made of good men ! Argh.

Comment

• BLeonard
                  BoB Sabermetrician
                  • Jan 2003

I put it right up there with quotes like "Good character"... That hasn't gotten the Bills anywhere in the past 14 seasons, either.

The clock on Marrone's NFL coaching career just started ticking quicker, IMO.

-Bill

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

Sounds like he learned from his late season hissy fit.

Comment

• kishoph
                      • Jun 2003

I think he's saying that the most important thing is getting this kid (I know he's 24, he's still a kid) to straighten out his life before any football decisions with him are made. As much as I love football, it's still just entertainment, a game, someone's life is much more important than any game, no matter how much money it generates. As a head coach, Marrone is showing his players respect and showing that they are more important than just a piece to plug in somewhere. I can't find nothing wrong with a person showing compassion for another person, people have become a bunch of self serving, inconsiderate *******'s that refuse to do anything for someone, unless there's some sort of personal gain in it for them.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

Sounds like the season doesn't start until Sept. and this is all we're left to talk about.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                          Skoobasaurus-Rex
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
                          Marrone went on to say that it’s more important for him to do right by a person who needs help over everything else.

“When any player makes a poor decision I always think of where I made a mistake,” he said. “That’s the truth. I just feel that way and when I make decisions to not play people, bench him and all that other stuff, I do it because winning, don’t get me wrong my job is to win and winning is important, but it’s not as important as trying to help somebody.

“I’d rather lose games and do the right thing in my mind, not everybody else’s mind, not the media’s mind and not the public opinion’s mind. My mind. I’d rather do the right thing and I can live with myself. At the end of the day, I’m the one that is going to have to live with myself. That’s the way I treat it. Right wrong or indifferent, it might not be what people want to hear, but that is more important to me. Trying to do the right thing and help people, than it is to win.”

Doing the right thing more important than winning? Agree/disagree?
                          DM called Stevie & told him everything is just fine as well, so knowing that the above conversation is a nice way of saying goodbye to Dareus until he gets his head on straight. Personally speaking, the one strike / short leash story sounds like a crock especially if the draftee looks awesome on the field.

The moment you let personal decisions override good business choices, is the moment you fail. So if DM is going to remain the coach, he better stop trying to go to extremes & being a Dad. This isn't college Doug & these guys aren't working for free, they're paid for assets of your employer. Use the tools & build it, no excuses.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Long term, it's a proper approach...get his head screwed on straight so you can rely on him to show up on Sundays. Can't waste more time baby-sitting than coaching, though.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

I'd say that the NFL already has prepared speeches, available to any coach or NFL employee, to cover most any situation. They are too sharp a P.R. machine not to.

Oh - Dareus makes PTF's Police Blotter - twice - in one month:

Find all the latest ProFootballTalk news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Heh - I worked at a manufacturing plant that had peak employment at about 5,200. If the employees got arrested at the rate NFL players do, either the locals would have burnt us down or the government would have pumped up some RICO charges.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X