PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Marrone's quote?

Oaf
06-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Marrone went on to say that it’s more important for him to do right by a person who needs help over everything else.

“When any player makes a poor decision I always think of where I made a mistake,” he said. “That’s the truth. I just feel that way and when I make decisions to not play people, bench him and all that other stuff, I do it because winning, don’t get me wrong my job is to win and winning is important, but it’s not as important as trying to help somebody.

“I’d rather lose games and do the right thing in my mind, not everybody else’s mind, not the media’s mind and not the public opinion’s mind. My mind. I’d rather do the right thing and I can live with myself. At the end of the day, I’m the one that is going to have to live with myself. That’s the way I treat it. Right wrong or indifferent, it might not be what people want to hear, but that is more important to me. Trying to do the right thing and help people, than it is to win.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/06/03/marrone-committed-to-getting-dareus-on-track/

Doing the right thing more important than winning? Agree/disagree?

Turf
06-03-2014, 09:26 PM
All I can say is **** that. Win. You're the coach.

ParanoidAndroid
06-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Can't he do both?

gr8slayer
06-03-2014, 10:00 PM
He's just saying the "right" thing. No problem with the quote.

Oaf
06-03-2014, 10:37 PM
So would you say he's saying what he believes or politic'ing?

Mr. Pink
06-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Quotes like that, if he really believes them, means he belongs back in the NCAA and not in the NFL.

He's not a babysitter, he's not there to mold young minds, he's there to get players to work together as a team and ultimately win football games.

Mace
06-03-2014, 11:07 PM
I think it's a wonderful quote from a decent human being. And I think he's a dead man walking for his chosen profession because unfortunately the world cares less for glorious teams full of wonderful people that can't win a crap.

Doing the right thing is certainly better than winning if you are Mahatma Gandhi, but I think we'd prefer some shameless Belichick and no one wants to save the world anymore as opposed to giving us some freaking football peace.

Marrone is already done, stick a fork in him and hire a psychopath rabid for wins.

Mace
06-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Oh this upsets me. Mike Williams hasn't even done anything yet, you just know he will, and if he doesn't, it hardly matters because Dimwit Hughes and Baby Huey Dareus got their hands into the Acme dynamite, Alonso will swing at someone, Seantrell will clear a bar of everyone breathing, Marrone will weep and discuss their careers because they are human beings for the love of God and Moorman had a good career as a nice guy so why be mean to him for that neutron weapon at the Galleria. Let's be reasonable fans, I am a weeping Mahatma Gandhi coach and this 5-11 was made of good men ! Argh.

BLeonard
06-03-2014, 11:30 PM
I put it right up there with quotes like "Good character"... That hasn't gotten the Bills anywhere in the past 14 seasons, either.

The clock on Marrone's NFL coaching career just started ticking quicker, IMO.

-Bill

jimmifli
06-04-2014, 12:39 AM
Sounds like he learned from his late season hissy fit.

kishoph
06-04-2014, 03:41 AM
I think he's saying that the most important thing is getting this kid (I know he's 24, he's still a kid) to straighten out his life before any football decisions with him are made. As much as I love football, it's still just entertainment, a game, someone's life is much more important than any game, no matter how much money it generates. As a head coach, Marrone is showing his players respect and showing that they are more important than just a piece to plug in somewhere. I can't find nothing wrong with a person showing compassion for another person, people have become a bunch of self serving, inconsiderate *******'s that refuse to do anything for someone, unless there's some sort of personal gain in it for them.

Night Train
06-04-2014, 04:10 AM
Sounds like the season doesn't start until Sept. and this is all we're left to talk about.

Skooby
06-04-2014, 04:56 AM
Marrone went on to say that it’s more important for him to do right by a person who needs help over everything else.

“When any player makes a poor decision I always think of where I made a mistake,” he said. “That’s the truth. I just feel that way and when I make decisions to not play people, bench him and all that other stuff, I do it because winning, don’t get me wrong my job is to win and winning is important, but it’s not as important as trying to help somebody.

“I’d rather lose games and do the right thing in my mind, not everybody else’s mind, not the media’s mind and not the public opinion’s mind. My mind. I’d rather do the right thing and I can live with myself. At the end of the day, I’m the one that is going to have to live with myself. That’s the way I treat it. Right wrong or indifferent, it might not be what people want to hear, but that is more important to me. Trying to do the right thing and help people, than it is to win.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/06/03/marrone-committed-to-getting-dareus-on-track/

DM called Stevie & told him everything is just fine as well, so knowing that the above conversation is a nice way of saying goodbye to Dareus until he gets his head on straight. Personally speaking, the one strike / short leash story sounds like a crock especially if the draftee looks awesome on the field.

The moment you let personal decisions override good business choices, is the moment you fail. So if DM is going to remain the coach, he better stop trying to go to extremes & being a Dad. This isn't college Doug & these guys aren't working for free, they're paid for assets of your employer. Use the tools & build it, no excuses.

YardRat
06-04-2014, 05:12 AM
Long term, it's a proper approach...get his head screwed on straight so you can rely on him to show up on Sundays. Can't waste more time baby-sitting than coaching, though.

stuckincincy
06-04-2014, 05:15 AM
I'd say that the NFL already has prepared speeches, available to any coach or NFL employee, to cover most any situation. They are too sharp a P.R. machine not to.

Oh - Dareus makes PTF's Police Blotter - twice - in one month:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/police-blotter/

Heh - I worked at a manufacturing plant that had peak employment at about 5,200. If the employees got arrested at the rate NFL players do, either the locals would have burnt us down or the government would have pumped up some RICO charges. :kid:

Fletch
06-04-2014, 06:46 AM

What, not treating people, players or others, like animals or machines? I'll support that.

The bigger issue is that maybe money, fame, and fortune aren't doing Dareus so much good if he can't stay out of the trouble he's in. Maybe the best thing for him is to not be in the NFL.

A lot of times these kids are told about how great they are in their late teens and early 20's and they start believing it all despite not having had similar success at higher levels. It's often not healthy for a lot of them. I guess it depends upon their upbringing. These guys have to stop acting like irresponsible high school kids.

Whatever it is, Dareus needs to sort it out quickly and turn a page.

Fletch
06-04-2014, 06:53 AM
The moment you let personal decisions override good business choices, is the moment you fail. So if DM is going to remain the coach, he better stop trying to go to extremes & being a Dad. This isn't college Doug & these guys aren't working for free, they're paid for assets of your employer. Use the tools & build it, no excuses.

Marrone was in over his head the moment he was hired. Having said that, I'll agree with you but will also say that this sounds like it may be one of those "go get yourself straightened out or you're not long for this team" kinda things. Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but he just excused him from current OTAs, nothing else if I read correctly. I don't think it's a big deal. What is a big deal is Dareus pulling his head out of his ass.

He's of no value to the team if this behavior keeps up. I think that Marrone may also quietly be sending a message to Dareus, stop, take a breath, then straighten yourself out and come back and don't let it happen again.

Honestly, one more such incident and what do you do as a coach? Seems like the team has to consider not resigning him after the season.

Fletch
06-04-2014, 06:57 AM
I put it right up there with quotes like "Good character"... That hasn't gotten the Bills anywhere in the past 14 seasons, either.

The clock on Marrone's NFL coaching career just started ticking quicker, IMO.

-Bill

It began ticking when he was hired. Another terrible hire.

Having said that, agree on your first sentiment, but we certainly have our share of bad character players, can you name one that's worked out well performance wise?

Dareus is OK but hardly worth the 3rd overall pick we used to get him.

This team simply doesn't know what it's doing.

Fletch
06-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Sounds like the season doesn't start until Sept. and this is all we're left to talk about.

This is actually relevant to the season. One more incident and it will be bad. Already it's looking like the team may not resign him after the season. Just my take. He has hardly overachieved since he's been here. He's been a hallmark of inconsistency too.

What's going to sink Marrone, and I'm sure he has a hand in his own sinking, is Whaley and their positions on Manuel and now Watkins. I mean what are they going to say if those two don't perform in some semi-remarkable way and the team ends up being 5-11 this season? They won't have a shred of credibility left, either one.

Historian
06-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Dareus is OK but hardly worth the 3rd overall pick we used to get him.

This team simply doesn't know what it's doing.

Tough to say.

At times he looks like the second coming of Warren Sapp.

Other times he looks like Walt Patulski.

trapezeus
06-04-2014, 07:16 AM
as an isolated quote, it makes you think that either something is brewing behind the scenes or that he's losing control of the team. maybe its just a throwaway quote, but it's out of the ordinary and not the kind of thing that inspires the other 50 or so people on the roster who are performing, who are good people, and actually DO want to win.

Turf
06-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Hey, if you want a winning organization, if you want to change the culture into a winning culture, you have to establish one thing. We're here to win. If you're not here to win, get out. That's all that matters. Not coddling players that get paid millions. Be 110% committed to winning or leave. Until that happens, enjoy the sub .500 seasons.
I'm not saying hang Dareus out to dry or do not try to help him, but you have to send a consistent message to the team.

Fletch
06-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Tough to say.

Hence my comment on his inconsistency. At 3rd overall you expect a player like Sapp that played like Sapp in every game. We'll agree on that.

He also seems to have been better in his rookie season and seems to have generally trended downward since. His father's death can only go so far. Maybe he is still distraught, but he'll need to shake that yesterday if so.

I had to look up Patulski, but what was interesting about him is that he led the team in sacks with 5 as a rookie, his second season he had 7 sacks and was second on the team in sacks, in his third season he had 5 1/2 sacks, and in his 4th season he had 4 sacks. The team went 4-9-1, 9-5, 9-5, and 8-6 in those four years, and made the playoffs for the first time in 8 seasons in '74. That was all in a 14 game season.

Yet, Patulski was considered a bust. We have players doing similar today that everyone thinks are good.

Fletch
06-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Hey, if you want a winning organization, if you want to change the culture into a winning culture, you have to establish one thing. We're here to win. If you're not here to win, get out. That's all that matters. Not coddling players that get paid millions. Be 110% committed to winning or leave. Until that happens, enjoy the sub .500 seasons.
I'm not saying hang Dareus out to dry or do not try to help him, but you have to send a consistent message to the team.

It's OTA's. Isn't everyone overreacting a little bit? If this were training camp I'd agree. Also, who knows what was said in private. Maybe Marrone sat him down and told him to go pull his head out of his ass immediately. Somewhere along the way Dareus seems to have missed some tough love. Maybe he's one of those guys that grew up without a father or something, which granted, is no excuse, but maybe Doug didn't want to empty the contents of the issue to the media and is taking one for Dareus, ... "one last time."

Who knows, but at the end of the season given the way we've treated other players, Dareus will probably want more than he's worth and we'll part ways with him as I think he's set to become a free agent. I haven't read anything about the team picking up an option for a 5th season.

Albany,n.y.
06-04-2014, 07:51 AM
I hope this thread can be bumped when Marrone & the Bills win a Super Bowl within the next 3 years and all the anti-Marrone posters can be fed their words. Also, when the Bills are holding the Lombardi Trophy, Darius won't be within 1,000 miles of the stadium.

mayotm
06-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Not surprisingly, some of you are reading way too much into what Marrone said yesterday.

Oaf
06-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Not surprisingly, some of you are reading way too much into what Marrone said yesterday.

Not surprisingly, Buffalo Rumblings covered the same topic in detail this morning.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-opinion/2014/6/4/5778714/doug-marrone-response-marcell-dareus-arrest

"Saying he is "taking a bigger role" and "becoming more personally responsible," Marrone has instead chosen to become more involved with Dareus' off-the-field behavior. As a college coach, you're the CEO of the team and everything falls at your feet. In the NFL, that's not the case - and there are staff members in the building whose only task is to help with off-field matters. Director of Player Engagement Paul Lancaster should feel the burden of making things right when players make a poor decision, not Marrone."

Who is this Lancaster, and should he be taking this active role vs Marrone so DM can focus on coaching?

Mace
06-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Tough to say.

Any excuse to say Patulski is a good excuse.

Patulski.

Patulski Patulski Patulski.

Tyvm.

DynaPaul
06-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Dareus is on double secret probation now.

Mace
06-04-2014, 05:29 PM

I admit I might be. But they have a lot of potential problem children and instead of mothering them Marrone needs to spend his time on coaching a successful football team. Once there is a successful, self sustaining football team he can mother everyone as much as he wants, imho.

Any manager/coach needs a degree of focus on the organization over the personnel. You are sometimes going to have to yell at people, or fire them for the purpose. You can't save every one and owe your effort more to the whole.

Noble statements, Marrone makes, sure. But Dareus essentially is crossing the Commish, the NFL, the fans. The NFL, and NFLPA have programs, for that matter so do private professionals Dareus can surely afford.

Successful coaches in the modern game are not emo huggy men. My opinion of Marrone is drifting toward him being emo huggy.

If I did make too much of it, my bad, I'll happily admit to being wrong. Just looks awful alarming to me if they're thinking to haul in problem children and emo them into being a successful football team nowadays.

Skooby
06-04-2014, 05:45 PM
I admit I might be. But they have a lot of potential problem children and instead of mothering them Marrone needs to spend his time on coaching a successful football team. Once there is a successful, self sustaining football team he can mother everyone as much as he wants, imho.

Any manager/coach needs a degree of focus on the organization over the personnel. You are sometimes going to have to yell at people, or fire them for the purpose. You can't save every one and owe your effort more to the whole.

Noble statements, Marrone makes, sure. But Dareus essentially is crossing the Commish, the NFL, the fans. The NFL, and NFLPA have programs, for that matter so do private professionals Dareus can surely afford.

Successful coaches in the modern game are not emo huggy men. My opinion of Marrone is drifting toward him being emo huggy.

If I did make too much of it, my bad, I'll happily admit to being wrong. Just looks awful alarming to me if they're thinking to haul in problem children and emo them into being a successful football team nowadays.

Well Marrone can't say out your tiny hand in mine, that's for sure.

Mace
06-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Well Marrone can't say out your tiny hand in mine, that's for sure.

If he did though it would be awesome and I'd go all in on him.

Buckets
06-04-2014, 06:04 PM
I think that the league will dole out his punishment if any. Marrone will be able to point to whatever their decision is and just say that is the "right" thing.

BillsImpossible
06-04-2014, 06:32 PM
I liked the quote because I think it will play very well with the rest of the team.

How Marrone has handled the situation matters most in the locker room.

Players are going to respect the coach even more after this, and play harder for him in my opinion.

Why? Because players want to play for a coach that cares about them on AND off the field.

I think Marrone did what's best for Dareus, and the team.

He has sent a very clear message to the rest of the team, and I think the players are very cool with what he said.

Northern Stampede
06-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Let's be real here, Dareus is a stud player, and has boatloads of potential, the skyies the limit for him. If Marrone feels like he can personally help Marcel get his life on track, that is going to defenitly benefit this football team. Im sure he realizes that if he cant, he wont be on the team for very long. You guys are getting waay too bored. I for one want to see dareus in the middle of that Dline this fall, and playing like he can.. Im not worried at all by the HC's actions.. Talk about over analyzing!! Geez!

Mace
06-04-2014, 07:21 PM
I liked the quote because I think it will play very well with the rest of the team.

How Marrone has handled the situation matters most in the locker room.

Players are going to respect the coach even more after this, and play harder for him in my opinion.

Why? Because players want to play for a coach that cares about them on AND off the field.

I think Marrone did what's best for Dareus, and the team.

He has sent a very clear message to the rest of the team, and I think the players are very cool with what he said.

I'd be real good with this if it turns out so. But players wanting to play for a coach that cares for them on and off the field doesn't explain Belichick, Coughlin, the Harbaughs, Reid, Holmgren, McCormick, Chip Kelly, Nick Saban in college, Urban Meyer in college, Jeff Fisher, Arians, Pagano, Trestman, Zimmer, Payton, Tomlin, Carroll, Whisenhunt, and Lovie Smith.

Precedent as I see it is that those guys work their players tired, work is work, home is home and move along you're wearing big boy pants now. You don't see those coaches caring a crap for off field, just business, business is football. Players, I think, like any of us, want to work at work and get away from me off the field because I'm wearing big boy pants and if I do something stupid isn't your issue to blow a career, it's mine for thinking I know better and surely I do unless I'm devoted just enough to be an NFL player.

I don't want the players to be cool with Marrone, I want them to stop doing stupid things and play without thinking it's just fine to smoke out of their parking space like Jackson did to think they own the rest of the world. Win a crap and then get stupid. Stupid on a junk team is woeful.

Dunno about their locker room. Evidently no one is paying attention to Kyle Williams, Eric Wood, the rehabilitated Alonso, the stalwart Moorman, the silent Urbik, or the matter of fact big bucks Mario, the fierce Gilmore or the wildly trying Frank Summers, put up don't shut up Spikes, the quietly capable Cordy Glenn, etc....

Until they rear end them smoking out of the parking lot into traffic.

Dareus ran away, Hughes ran away after Dareus crashed. I don't see anything positive in this whatever besides it's ok to run away and have problems because you always know where to get a hug. Yeah we're a team, one for all and all for one, except when you silly brutes goof around.

This whole thing makes me angry and I can't see hugging it off.

BillsImpossible
06-04-2014, 07:21 PM
I think Marrone's comments had a lot to do with this.

Marcell Dareus needs some LOVE! This kid has been traumatized so much by grief.

Let's help lift him up Bills fans. There's nothing left to tear down in his world.

I like coach Marrone even more now.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=11028815&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fboards.buffalobills.com%2Fshowthread.php%3F489526-ESPN-Theres-a-lot-more-to-Marcel-Dareus%22%7D&ex_cid=espnapi_internal%20-via

When Dareus was 6 years old, his father (Jules) died. Dareus' mother (Michelle Luckey) died before the start of his junior season at Alabama. The grandmother who helped raise him (Ella Alexander) passed away when he was 13. The high school football coach who mentored him (Scott Livingston) was killed in a car crash the day Dareus signed with Alabama, and a close friend (former Mississippi State defensive end Nick Bell) died from cancer while Dareus was in college. Tragedy struck Dareus once again this past season, when his younger brother, Simeon Gilmore, was shot and killed in a triple homicide in Pelham, Alabama.

Mace
06-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Let's be real here

Ok. It's barely June. Talk about underanalyzing. If nothing else happens before next year you're good to go. Really think so ? I mean really ?

Mace
06-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Let's help lift him up Bills fans. There's nothing left to tear down in his world.

Ok, you win. Checkmate. Damn it.

BillsImpossible
06-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Ok. It's barely June. Talk about underanalyzing. If nothing else happens before next year you're good to go. Really think so ? I mean really ?

Crashing his Jaguar and almost killing himself and others is the perfect wake up call. Dareus had a brush with death, something he is very familiar with.

I'm just speculating, but perhaps in the moment of the crash, Marcell felt someone protecting him? It's a miracle he was able to walk away from that unharmed.
He could easily be dead right now. There's a reason he's not.

Mace
06-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Crashing his Jaguar and almost killing himself and others is the perfect wake up call. Dareus had a brush with death, something he is very familiar with.

I'm just speculating, but perhaps in the moment of the crash, Marcell felt someone protecting him? It's a miracle he was able to walk away from that unharmed.

Look, I'm not going to be the one tearing down stuff in his world that isn't left to be torn down. I'll not have that on my conscience. In fact I disclaim it and I'm not legally liable having publically said it. No. NO. I'm out of Dareus discussions.

Oaf
06-06-2014, 03:13 PM

It is interesting that given the amount of tragedies that have struck Marcell, he has still put his life and career at risk. I wonder how the two are linked?

BuffaloRedleg
06-06-2014, 03:55 PM

You win this thread. A lot of whiney *****es around here talking about **** they don't know anything about.

feldspar
06-06-2014, 06:48 PM

I would think that he really and truly believes this, due to the fact that lots of people won't like it. They won't like the way it sounds.

But I think that the players may rally around such a statement, which is more important. If more players buy in to this philosophy, you may see a closer-knit group.

This is my hope. I don't know, and neither you do.

JoeMama
06-06-2014, 06:57 PM
It came off as a very genuine, concerned assessment of Dareus and demonstrated a high level of character.

But the ball is in Marcell's court now. He needs to decide if he wants to represent his employer in a positive way or continue down a self-destructive path that will shorten his professional life span.

He's got a support network and Marrone certainly indicated he's there to help where he can. Something is going on with Marcell that clearly demonstrates he's in a bad place mentally.

The sad thing is, for all Marrone's concern, if guys like Dareus don't make their impact on the field this season, Marrone may not be around much longer to help guide these kids toward the path to manhood.

Meathead
06-08-2014, 06:10 PM
the sad truth is that its a lot easier to win in pro sports by being a ***** than it is being a good person

marrone can try to do both (win and do the right thing) and he should if thats his conscience, but he needs to walk a fine balance or he could easily lose an edge and end up looking for his next job. these young players are simultaneously grown men and dumb rich kids, theres only so much you can do to help them or anybody struggling with bad personal decisions. sometimes you just have to cut them loose and let them fail or they will drag you down with them

good luck doug. thanks sincerely for your personal moral contribution, but if you want to keep doing the 'right thing' here its gotta result in wins

coastal
06-08-2014, 06:30 PM
You don't have to do the wrong thing in order to win.

ever.

Turf
06-08-2014, 07:34 PM
If stroking Dareus helps us win do it. If chewing him out helps, do it. Wins is all that matters. I'm not here to watch him grow up.