PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Wilson Stadium Questions

mightysimi
06-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Looks like I am going to a conference in Ontario in September and will be flying in and out of Toronto. I'm planning on making the drive down for week 3 against the Chargers which will be my first time in the motherland.

My questions are for someone who has never been there:

1. Where is the best place to sit - both in terms of view, not a family section and not ridiculously expensive
2. Good hotels to stay at relatively close to RWS
3. Good places to enjoy an evening the night before or after the game

Thanks in advance for the input

The King
06-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Definitely hit up a Duffs while you're out there.

I typically stay in Williamsville by the Brew Pub and mall. It's about 20 mins from the stadium and 3 mins from a Duffs.

I might not be the best person to ask about seats I typically sit in the Club sections. I just like them better.

Homegrown
06-05-2014, 02:58 PM
Red carpet inn?

Buffalogic
06-05-2014, 03:01 PM
How about the renovations? I don't understand them. I don't live in Buffalo, so I'll ask those that do. Besides more screens, what else is going on and why? Seems unnecessary from the outside looking in!

mightysimi
06-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Definitely hit up a Duffs while you're out there.

I typically stay in Williamsville by the Brew Pub and mall. It's about 20 mins from the stadium and 3 mins from a Duffs.

I might not be the best person to ask about seats I typically sit in the Club sections. I just like them better.

Duffs hey? Sounds good. Really looking forward to seeing a game where my team is the home team!!

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2014, 03:27 PM
How about the renovations? I don't understand them. I don't live in Buffalo, so I'll ask those that do. Besides more screens, what else is going on and why? Seems unnecessary from the outside looking in!

One other big renovation is moving the concourse out so there is more room when entering the stadium. Gates will be bigger and more efficient. They are also moving the store and making that bigger too.

DynaPaul
06-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Duff's has food in the stadium now.

Buffalogic
06-05-2014, 06:13 PM
One other big renovation is moving the concourse out so there is more room when entering the stadium. Gates will be bigger and more efficient. They are also moving the store and making that bigger too.Thanks Doc

WagonCircler
06-05-2014, 07:45 PM
Duffs hey? Sounds good. Really looking forward to seeing a game where my team is the home team!!

Don't hit up Duff's, unless you like tourist traps and wigs so drenched in sauce that it's like eating wing soup.

Do yourself a favor and go to Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Duffs > Any other place in WNY.

Their wings are awesome

The last buffalo fan
06-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Duffs > Any other place in WNY.

Their wings are awesome

How in the bloody hell a skinny fellow like you has the credibilty on this matter?

Mr. Pink
06-06-2014, 02:27 AM
Chicken wings are chicken wings...whether you get them at Duffs or wherever you live. They taste the same everywhere. Don't buy this false Buffalonian hype that wings here are any different than anyone else in the USA. I've lived in various different cities, it's all the same.

And King, you stay by Brew Pub when you come up here? I was just there tonight :rofl: There is nothing by Brew Pub except some crappy Super 8 motel.

Crisis
06-06-2014, 03:17 AM
Chicken wings are chicken wings...whether you get them at Duffs or wherever you live. They taste the same everywhere. Don't buy this false Buffalonian hype that wings here are any different than anyone else in the USA. I've lived in various different cities, it's all the same.

This is just flat-out wrong, sorry.

Dr. Lecter
06-06-2014, 04:39 AM

And King, you stay by Brew Pub when you come up here? I was just there tonight :rofl: There is nothing by Brew Pub except some crappy Super 8 motel.

What?

You are wrong. Yeesh. Like world record setting wrong.

Dr. Lecter
06-06-2014, 04:39 AM
How in the bloody hell a skinny fellow like you has the credibilty on this matter?

I am an expert on everything.

Try to keep up

Don't Panic
06-06-2014, 05:43 AM
The Ralph has great views all around. Last year, I sat in the second bowl front row dead center in the end zone. Very cool perspective. Back in the day we used to sit about 40 rows up on the 42 yard line. That was the best. If you're between the 30s and at least 20 rows up, you're golden. If you go upper deck, you definitely want to be as close to the first few rows as possible. I'd say avoid the end zone corners, but even those aren't that bad.

As for wings, I slung them for Sorrentino's in Williamsville for four years. I've eaten them all over that town. Best wings I ever had were at DJ's in Tucson, Arizona. There is no best wings... only your favorite.

Dude
06-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Chicken wings are chicken wings...whether you get them at Duffs or wherever you live. They taste the same everywhere. Don't buy this false Buffalonian hype that wings here are any different than anyone else in the USA. I've lived in various different cities, it's all the same.Disagree. I rarely come across a place outside of Buffalo that deep fries the wings, most bake them. It makes a big difference.

And, most places look at you like you have three heads when you tell them you want bleu cheese instead of ranch.

There is no best wings... only your favorite.True.

OLDSRIP
06-06-2014, 06:24 AM

Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. And if you want to prove it. Just go to 4 or 5 different places in Buffalo. You will get a different taste at just about everyone.
been eating tasty wings for over 50 years.

Fletch
06-06-2014, 07:58 AM

Right, and a burger is a burger.

Go to Duff's original on Sheridan & Millersport. That's the one that The King said is just minutes from where he stays. Good advice by him.

OpIv37
06-06-2014, 09:24 AM

Couldn't disagree more. I lived in northern VA for 10+ years and live on Baltimore now, and I can't believe some of the crap people try to pawn off as Buffalo wings. The wings are puny, they serve them with flavorless sauce (a couple times their "Buffalo wings" had no sauce at all, they bread them, they serve them with Ranch instead of blue cheese...

I have found a few places that make decent ones, but it's still not the same. In WNY I always order wings medium. Around here, I order them hot and often they're still not as hot as medium wings from Buffalo.

Generally, unless I have a recommendation from someone else from WNY, I don't even bother getting wings, or I get BBQ or teriyaki instead of Buffalo style, because I know I'm just going to be disappointed by their sorry attempt at chicken wings.

OpIv37
06-06-2014, 09:31 AM

I haven't been there since I think '08, but the walkways on the main level were barely sufficient. Then, in order to compete with other stadiums around the league, they added more food and beer options by putting kiosks in the already-crowded areas and making them impossible to navigate. They also had problems with the bathrooms, in terms of not having enough of them and some of the plumbing not functioning properly on game days.

Additionally, the gates lacked capacity so it took a long time to enter the stadium, especially with the new security screenings.

Dr. Lecter
06-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Sometimes I think Mr. Pink is contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian.

MikeInRoch
06-06-2014, 09:40 AM
We don't have anyone else here that is like that.

The last buffalo fan
06-06-2014, 10:33 AM
We don't have anyone else here that is like that.

**** off, leave my buddy OpI alone!!

The last buffalo fan
06-06-2014, 10:37 AM
We have now several places where you can "enjoy" chicken wings, usually my daughter is with me while I'm watching games or emjoying a cold one, well, she is the expert and I believe her, there is only one local place where you can have the "best" wings in town and it is wings army! :ill:

mightysimi
06-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Don't hit up Duff's, unless you like tourist traps and wigs so drenched in sauce that it's like eating wing soup.

Do yourself a favor and go to Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street.

I am not adverse to making more than 1 wing trip!! Thanks for the heads up

OpIv37
06-06-2014, 11:47 AM
I am not adverse to making more than 1 wing trip!! Thanks for the heads up

Honestly, you'll have a hard time finding bad wings in a restaurant in Buffalo (unless you go to a national chain) because the places that make bad ones don't stay in business very long. Obviously, some places are better than others and everyone has their personal favorite, but any local pizza joint is going to have better wings than 99% of places outside of WNY.

better days
06-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I have had wings all over the Country, especially in Florida from Jax down to Key West.

The best wings I have had outside of Buffalo are not as good as the worst wings I have had in Buffalo.

stuckincincy
06-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Honestly, you'll have a hard time finding bad wings in a restaurant in Buffalo (unless you go to a national chain) because the places that make bad ones don't stay in business very long. Obviously, some places are better than others and everyone has their personal favorite, but any local pizza joint is going to have better wings than 99% of places outside of WNY.

Made from the best chickens steroids and growth hormones can produce! :dance:

OpIv37
06-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Made from the best chickens steroids and growth hormones can produce! :dance:

Does it really matter when you're deep-frying them in oil (read: fat) and smothering them in gut-rotting pepper butter sauce?

DBrown77
06-06-2014, 02:13 PM

I am not sure where you lived outside of Buffalo, but this is absolutely wrong. The wings suck balls here in Charlotte.

stuckincincy
06-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Does it really matter when you're deep-frying them in oil (read: fat) and smothering them in gut-rotting pepper butter sauce?

Heh - no, I suppose not.

FWIW, the recipe on a Frank's sauce bottle for baking them isn't bad. There used to be a wings chain here in Cincy that was tops (and they also sold whole-potatoe curly-q fries), but they went under years ago. Ripped off the franchisees, IIRC. That Buffalo Wings and Rings outfit is here, but I've never patronized them - I despise their ad campaign, which is centered on that it's "cool" to cheat and to lie to one's employer.

I remember back-in-da-day in Blfo when bars handed wings out for free to drum up drinks sales. Dunno about prices in the Balto area, but wings cost more than breasts per pound here, in the grocery stores. Marketing works.

better days
06-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Heh - no, I suppose not.

FWIW, the recipe on a Frank's sauce bottle for baking them isn't bad. There used to be a wings chain here in Cincy that was tops (and they also sold whole-potatoe curly-q fries), but they went under years ago. Ripped off the franchisees, IIRC. That Buffalo Wings and Rings outfit is here, but I've never patronized them - I despise their ad campaign, which is centered on that it's "cool" to cheat and to lie to one's employer.

I remember back-in-da-day in Blfo when bars handed wings out for free to drum up drinks sales. Dunno about prices in the Balto area, but wings cost more than breasts per pound here, in the grocery stores. Marketing works.

The only GOOD food in Cinci is the Chili.

It is not marketing that drove up the price of wings, it was supply & demand.

Wings are now in demand, more so than Chicken breasts.

I read restaurants are now pushing boneless wings because the profit margin is higher than it is for real wings.

OpIv37
06-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Heh - no, I suppose not.

The cost was driven up by McDonalds buying them in mass quantities for their "Mighty Wings." It was a dismal failure and they aren't doing it anymore so I expect prices to level out.

Bill Cody
06-06-2014, 02:41 PM
I still like the Anchor Bar & Grill for wings when I'm in Buffalo

The King
06-06-2014, 02:43 PM
I still like the Anchor Bar & Grill for wings when I'm in Buffalo

Don't get me wrong I do too. I prefer Duffs, but variety is good too. The Anchor bar is just too far from where I stay.

stuckincincy
06-06-2014, 02:45 PM
The cost was driven up by McDonalds buying them in mass quantities for their "Mighty Wings." It was a dismal failure and they aren't doing it anymore so I expect prices to level out.

That was a recent development. The price inflation occurred well before that, Opi. It's not going to level out, prices won't fall. I know the grocery biz like the back of my hand.

Buffalogic
06-06-2014, 03:00 PM
I haven't been there since I think '08, but the walkways on the main level were barely sufficient. Then, in order to compete with other stadiums around the league, they added more food and beer options by putting kiosks in the already-crowded areas and making them impossible to navigate. They also had problems with the bathrooms, in terms of not having enough of them and some of the plumbing not functioning properly on game days.

Additionally, the gates lacked capacity so it took a long time to enter the stadium, especially with the new security screenings.Wow that sounds halfway nightmarish the way you put it. I hear you.

In Arizona, it's difficult to find really good wings. Most are average to enjoyable but not knock your socks off good. Wings are getting smaller, drier, and more expensive. Makes me long for B-lo wings and this thread isn't helping!

Dude
06-06-2014, 04:29 PM
The only GOOD food in Cinci is the Chili.While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I'm here to tell you that's it's wrong.

First, Cincinnati "chili" is a meat sauce served over spaghetti, with beans, cheese, and onions optional. It's not chili at all in the traditional sense. It's ok, not great, unless you're a native in which case you were most likely baptized in it and also eat it at least once a week.

Now, if you think that stuff is the best thing we've got going here from a culinary perspective, then I can tell you either live in Cleveland, or you haven't been here in the last decade. There are tons of excellent locally owned restaurants here serving a wide variety of fantastic food, all of it much better than the soupy meat sauce some people refer to as chili. Downtown Cincinnati in particular has undergone a huge transformation in the last few years - our food scene is hopping and continues to get better.

if only someone would open a restaurant that made authentic Buffalo style chicken wings, we'd be set.

DynaPaul
06-06-2014, 04:43 PM

That's the Anchor Bar.

better days
06-07-2014, 12:03 AM
While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I'm here to tell you that's it's wrong.

First, Cincinnati "chili" is a meat sauce served over spaghetti, with beans, cheese, and onions optional. It's not chili at all in the traditional sense. It's ok, not great, unless you're a native in which case you were most likely baptized in it and also eat it at least once a week.

Now, if you think that stuff is the best thing we've got going here from a culinary perspective, then I can tell you either live in Cleveland, or you haven't been here in the last decade. There are tons of excellent locally owned restaurants here serving a wide variety of fantastic food, all of it much better than the soupy meat sauce some people refer to as chili. Downtown Cincinnati in particular has undergone a huge transformation in the last few years - our food scene is hopping and continues to get better.

if only someone would open a restaurant that made authentic Buffalo style chicken wings, we'd be set.

I was joking, but I used to get to Cinci quite often. However I have not been there in the last decade.

I used to like the after hours clubs, but I'm not sure if the were in Cinci or Ky. I used to pick up girls in Cinci & they would take me to them.

But I always did like the Chili in Cinci. Give me meat instead of beans any day.

And there is a place in Sarasota owned by Cinci Natives that makes authentic Cinci Chili.

So what food unique to Cinci do you think is really GOOD?

Mr. Pink
06-07-2014, 12:34 AM
Disagree. I rarely come across a place outside of Buffalo that deep fries the wings, most bake them. It makes a big difference.

And, most places look at you like you have three heads when you tell them you want bleu cheese instead of ranch.

True.

I will agree on the bleu cheese point...you go elsewhere in the country and they have no clue what bleu cheese is.

Wings are wings though. It's not like Buffalo has some secret recipe on how to make them that nowhere else knows.

The only people I've ever known to rave about wings from here and snob them out elsewhere are people who grew up here, it's like they think they're laying claim to them and nowhere else in the world can possibly make wings the same.

Same thing goes for people in Chicago on pizza...according to them nowhere else could possibly do deep dish pizza as well. Or NYC with their NY Style pizza...as if it's so hard to make cardboard thin greasy pizza.

Mr. Pink
06-07-2014, 12:35 AM
Sometimes I think Mr. Pink is contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian.

I've been known to do it from time to time...but I don't get the chicken wing thing.

Now if you're gonna tell me the bleu cheese makes the wing, then you have a point. But a chicken wing is a chicken wing is a chicken wing.

better days
06-07-2014, 12:55 AM
I will agree on the bleu cheese point...you go elsewhere in the country and they have no clue what bleu cheese is.

Wings are wings though. It's not like Buffalo has some secret recipe on how to make them that nowhere else knows.

The only people I've ever known to rave about wings from here and snob them out elsewhere are people who grew up here, it's like they think they're laying claim to them and nowhere else in the world can possibly make wings the same.

Same thing goes for people in Chicago on pizza...according to them nowhere else could possibly do deep dish pizza as well. Or NYC with their NY Style pizza...as if it's so hard to make cardboard thin greasy pizza.

Outside of Buffalo, some places like Hooters put BREADING on the Wings, while other places use crappy OLD GREASE.

All the restaurants in Buffalo know, the grease has to be changed OFTEN.

And other places outside Buffalo use INFERIOR Hot Sauce, NOT Franks.

You are WRONG about this Wings are NOT wings.

Some of the best wings I have had in Fla are made at Checkers hamburgers, but they really are CRAP compared to wings made in Buffalo.

Dr. Lecter
06-07-2014, 06:20 AM
I've been known to do it from time to time...but I don't get the chicken wing thing.

Now if you're gonna tell me the bleu cheese makes the wing, then you have a point. But a chicken wing is a chicken wing is a chicken wing.

Then you really have not had many wings. They are not all the same. The sauce used varies greatly from place to place.

There is no factual basis for what you are saying

DunkCityFan
06-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Wings here in SWFL are generally great. But you can get very bad wings if you don't know where not to get them. They have been not so great in other places I have lived.

If I am going to Buffalo for the game though, I stay downtown and hit the Pearl Street Grill and Allentown above the burbs. Still easy to get to RWS from downtown.

Like said above: Get 20ish rows from the field and all of the sight lines are great. I like to sit around the 30-40 yard line on the home field side. But really, you cannot go wrong with seats in the Ralph.

better days
06-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Wings here in SWFL are generally great. But you can get very bad wings if you don't know where not to get them. They have been not so great in other places I have lived.

If I am going to Buffalo for the game though, I stay downtown and hit the Pearl Street Grill and Allentown above the burbs. Still easy to get to RWS from downtown.

Like said above: Get 20ish rows from the field and all of the sight lines are great. I like to sit around the 30-40 yard line on the home field side. But really, you cannot go wrong with seats in the Ralph.

Well, I live in SWFL. What places would you say have great wings?

Don't Panic
06-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Couldn't disagree more. I lived in northern VA for 10+ years and live on Baltimore now, and I can't believe some of the crap people try to pawn off as Buffalo wings. The wings are puny, they serve them with flavorless sauce (a couple times their "Buffalo wings" had no sauce at all, they bread them, they serve them with Ranch instead of blue cheese...

I have found a few places that make decent ones, but it's still not the same. In WNY I always order wings medium. Around here, I order them hot and often they're still not as hot as medium wings from Buffalo.

Generally, unless I have a recommendation from someone else from WNY, I don't even bother getting wings, or I get BBQ or teriyaki instead of Buffalo style, because I know I'm just going to be disappointed by their sorry attempt at chicken wings.

OP... go down to Reckless Ric's in Glen Burnie. Biker bar on the water. Best wings I had in the Baltimore area.

OpIv37
06-07-2014, 02:14 PM
OP... go down to Reckless Ric's in Glen Burnie. Biker bar on the water. Best wings I had in the Baltimore area.

Damn I was just in that area last night. I'll check it out next time I'm down that way.

Don't Panic
06-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Damn I was just in that area last night. I'll check it out next time I'm down that way.

Its kind of hidden. Off route 10... Furnace Branch Road I believe.

DunkCityFan
06-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Ron deos. Wings & things & rusty's are all really good. Vincenzioo's ( sp) is good too.

BuffaloRedleg
06-08-2014, 12:58 AM
Looks like I am going to a conference in Ontario in September and will be flying in and out of Toronto. I'm planning on making the drive down for week 3 against the Chargers which will be my first time in the motherland.

My questions are for someone who has never been there:

1. Where is the best place to sit - both in terms of view, not a family section and not ridiculously expensive
2. Good hotels to stay at relatively close to RWS
3. Good places to enjoy an evening the night before or after the game

Thanks in advance for the input

Don't stay close to the stadium. Stay at the Lafeyette downtown, it is awesome! Go out in the city. I recommend Coles for the night before on Elmwood, or the Blue Monk also on Elmwood. Founding Fathers is a nice bar too.

If you want the true Buffalo experience you need to go to the city, stay out of the Suburbs. I would also check out the Darwin Martin house and get a tour. It's really worth it.

better days
06-08-2014, 06:45 AM
Ron deos. Wings & things & rusty's are all really good. Vincenzioo's ( sp) is good too.

Never heard of any of them. What City are they in?

I am in South Sarasota County.