• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Build the Bills - One Player

The #BillsMafia posted this question and I found it to be interesting.

If you had to rebuild the Bills around one player currently on the roster who would you choose and why?
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Re: Build the Bills - One Player

I for one don't think the Bills are strong enough at any of the positions you build around. Kiko is the obvious choice but do you build a team around a WLB? Jackson and Kyle Williams have the heart you want but you can't choose those guys because of their age.

So I guess I would have to say Dareus even after the two weeks he's had. Maybe Watkins if he lives up to the hype. Honorable mention to Cordy Glenn.
    Last edited by The King; 06-06-2014, 03:43 PM.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Obviously they're already building this team around EJ by getting him all the help he needs.

Sammy or Kiko is the choice here for the hypothetical rebuilding team.

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

kiko. make him as good as possible by having a strong front 4. give him another LB stud at ILB and then you can skimp on the secondary as i believe those 7 can stop the run and rush the QB. I also think you keep adding depth at those 7 spots so that they stay fresh and can handle injury. additionally, he's the youngest of our "proven" players.

watkins hasn't done anything yet. he could be a total bust. he could be great. but what does building around a WR mean? you get more WR or just rely on him. we've been looking for a great QB since 1996. Do you add more RB? but then the ball isn't in watkins hands.

It is an intriguing question.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Cordy Glenn. Gotta start in the trenches.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DynaPaul
            • Sep 2003

TJ Graham!

Comment

• HAMMER
              I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
              • Jul 2003

The midget trainer, it has gotten us so far.

Comment

• Homegrown
                Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                • Jul 2008

Jebus
                Attached Files

Comment

• gr8slayer
                  • Feb 2005

Manuel.

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Jeff Tuel. Because the other QBs suck. And this would force the Bills to go out and get a real pocket QB. Not this garbage they have. It's run & shoot lite. And it's not good.

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

Wow, this is a depressing thread.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                        Jeff Tuel. Because the other QBs suck. And this would force the Bills to go out and get a real pocket QB. Not this garbage they have. It's run & shoot lite. And it's not good.
                        You lost me at Jeff Tuel.

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

We should build the team around somebody completely mediocre so we don't lose him to free agency like all the other studs we refuse to re-sign once they're due a payday.

If a player is TOO talented, we show him the door as soon as his rookie contract is up.

So we gotta set the bar a little lower than most teams since we clearly have no intention of retaining the players we drafted in order to build a team from the ground up.

So much for "building through the draft." That only works if you show a little loyalty to the guys who exceed expectations.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                            We should build the team around somebody completely mediocre so we don't lose him to free agency like all the other studs we refuse to re-sign once they're due a payday.

If a player is TOO talented, we show him the door as soon as his rookie contract is up.

So we gotta set the bar a little lower than most teams since we clearly have no intention of retaining the players we drafted in order to build a team from the ground up.

So much for "building through the draft." That only works if you show a little loyalty to the guys who exceed expectations.
                            It only works if you draft good players, and they perform. We've been over this before, in the last 14-15 years overall the team has drafted approximately five or six players, total, that were worth keeping around, and that's stretching it to include the couple that wanted to be overpaid. I really don't understand why some need to focus on a couple of players the team let walk and ignore the ones they have re-signed.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• JoeMama
                              Emotion Sickness
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              It only works if you draft good players, and they perform. We've been over this before, in the last 14-15 years overall the team has drafted approximately five or six players, total, that were worth keeping around, and that's stretching it to include the couple that wanted to be overpaid. I really don't understand why some need to focus on a couple of players the team let walk and ignore the ones they have re-signed.
                              We've drafted consistently well the past 4-5 years. Particularly in the 2nd round. Barring a player or two or three.

I understand letting a few guys walk since salary demands are increasing exponentially.

But the reality is, talent costs money and it's not like the Bills are filing for bankruptcy. We can afford to overspend every once in a while.

I understand that Buddy Nix is no longer the top dog here, but he said in 2010 that our plan was to build through the draft and retain as many homegrown players as possible when free agency reared its ugly head.

So far, we're not living up to the second part of that policy.
                              Last edited by JoeMama; 06-06-2014, 07:44 PM.
                              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X