• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Spikes: Bills' defense will turn heads

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- With several players not fully participating in organized team activities, the Buffalo Bills' defense is hardly a complete unit.When it returns to full strength, linebacker Brandon Spikes has a message: Watch out.

This part in particular caught my eye:

"Over the past five seasons, no team that has finished in the NFL's top five in yards allowed per game has finished with a losing record:

2013: 13-3, 12-4, 11-5, 11-5, 12-4
    2012: 8-8, 13-3, 11-4-1, 11-5, 10-6
    2011: 12-4, 10-6, 12-4, 13-3, 8-8
    2010: 9-7, 12-4, 11-5, 11-5, 10-6
    2009: 9-7, 11-5, 9-7, 10-6, 9-7

The Bills finished 10th in yards allowed per game last season. How realistic would it be for them to jump up five spots in that ranking?"

Wow. First, I didn't realize we were that good in yards allowed last year (must include yards lost to sack). Second, this is a pretty correlated statistic. Could 5 more spots lead to the 10 wins we need to play in a playoff game? It'll be interesting to see.

• MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Spikes: Bills' defense will turn heads

Yeah 10-6 might but 8-8 just gets us close.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Don't Panic View Post
      http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...espnapi_public

This part in particular caught my eye:

"Over the past five seasons, no team that has finished in the NFL's top five in yards allowed per game has finished with a losing record:

2013: 13-3, 12-4, 11-5, 11-5, 12-4
      2012: 8-8, 13-3, 11-4-1, 11-5, 10-6
      2011: 12-4, 10-6, 12-4, 13-3, 8-8
      2010: 9-7, 12-4, 11-5, 11-5, 10-6
      2009: 9-7, 11-5, 9-7, 10-6, 9-7

The Bills finished 10th in yards allowed per game last season. How realistic would it be for them to jump up five spots in that ranking?"

Wow. First, I didn't realize we were that good in yards allowed last year (must include yards lost to sack). Second, this is a pretty correlated statistic. Could 5 more spots lead to the 10 wins we need to play in a playoff game? It'll be interesting to see.

New D coordinator/yet ANOTHER new system- 3rd in 3 years. Loss of Byrd. Dareus likely to be suspended.

Adding Spikes helps but I don't see this team getting better on D.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BidsJr
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        New D coordinator/yet ANOTHER new system- 3rd in 3 years. Loss of Byrd. Dareus likely to be suspended.

Did you see them being better on D last year?
        "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BidsJr View Post
          Did you see them being better on D last year?
          Yeah well, they added Kiko, they added Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams came through unlike the previous year, and they didn't lose anyone significant.

This year, we added Spikes but lost Byrd. We didn't add anyone else of note. Maybe Corey Graham, but do you honestly think he's going to have the same impact that Hughes' 10 sacks had?

Last year, we had a bigger influx of talent, no decrease in talent and improvement from our own guys. This year, the gains and losses are neutral, so the only way the D improves like last year is if we get enough player improvement to equal the additions of Kiko and Hughes. Not gonna happen.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            Legendary Zoner
            • May 2009

Of course you don't.....

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HurkeyNuts View Post
              Of course you don't.....
              I stated my reasons.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Homegrown
                Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                • Jul 2008

Better than turning stomachs....

Comment

• elltrain22
                  • Sep 2003

I have to disagree. I see your points, they are valid, and I may be wrong.
                  1. I think Schwartz is one of those guys who is a fair HC, but actually a real good DC. Pettine was a little overrated in my opinion. I think he looked good last year, b/c Wannestat was so bad the year before.
                  2. We still have an elite front 4 (although I must agree, if Dareus is suspended, that will suck).
                  3. Along with our front 4 being very good, our LB core is better, deeper, and should be significantly better versus the run. 4. The loss of Byrd is big, but IMO, I think Aaron Williams has the potential to be a very good replacement. Not only that, our secondary, as a whole, is deeper, and the overall talent base is a lot better than last year.
                  5. With another year to develop who's to say that Duke Williams and/or Jonathan Meeks could pan out to be decent players.
                  If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Yeah well, they added Kiko, they added Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams came through unlike the previous year, and they didn't lose anyone significant.

This year, we added Spikes but lost Byrd. We didn't add anyone else of note. Maybe Corey Graham, but do you honestly think he's going to have the same impact that Hughes' 10 sacks had?

Last year, we had a bigger influx of talent, no decrease in talent and improvement from our own guys. This year, the gains and losses are neutral, so the only way the D improves like last year is if we get enough player improvement to equal the additions of Kiko and Hughes. Not gonna happen.
                    You really don't know that until the games are played.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by elltrain22 View Post
                      I have to disagree. I see your points, they are valid, and I may be wrong.
                      1. I think Schwartz is one of those guys who is a fair HC, but actually a real good DC. Pettine was a little overrated in my opinion. I think he looked good last year, b/c Wannestat was so bad the year before.
                      2. We still have an elite front 4 (although I must agree, if Dareus is suspended, that will suck).
                      3. Along with our front 4 being very good, our LB core is better, deeper, and should be significantly better versus the run. 4. The loss of Byrd is big, but IMO, I think Aaron Williams has the potential to be a very good replacement. Not only that, our secondary, as a whole, is deeper, and the overall talent base is a lot better than last year.
                      5. With another year to develop who's to say that Duke Williams and/or Jonathan Meeks could pan out to be decent players.
                      Other people have already posted it, but Schwartz's D's have never been ranked particularly high. Pettine's overall record with D's is much better.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        You really don't know that until the games are played.
                        No, I don't know it, but odds are greatly against it happening.

Every year, people on this website try to sell this bill of goods about the team getting better by "player improvement" and it has yet to happen. That's not to say that no player has ever improved, but player improvement alone has never been enough to make the team as a whole better. No, it's not technically impossible. I'm just still waiting for it to happen in Buffalo..... 14 years and counting....
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

No, I don't know it, but odds are greatly against it happening.

Every year, people on this website try to sell this bill of goods about the team getting better by "player improvement" and it has yet to happen. That's not to say that no player has ever improved, but player improvement alone has never been enough to make the team as a whole better. No, it's not technically impossible. I'm just still waiting for it to happen in Buffalo..... 14 years and counting....
                          And yet, to quote you...

Last year, we had a bigger influx of talent, no decrease in talent and improvement from our own guys.
                          The defense got better last season, and part of that, by your own admission, was improved play from some already on the team. No?
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            And yet, to quote you...

The defense got better last season, and part of that, by your own admission, was improved play from some already on the team. No?
                            and how much better do you think the same guys are going to get this year? They can only improve so much and most of them are already there.

Also, I noted that we added talent in Kiko and Hughes, and some of the improvemet was Mario rebounding from a bad first year in Buffalo. It wasn't player improvement alone- that was just a piece of it.
                            Last edited by OpIv37; 06-09-2014, 09:18 PM.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

and how much better do you think the same guys are going to get this year? They can only improve so much and most of them are already there.
                              Once again, you don't know that until the games are played. Which players hit their ceiling last year, and have no chance of getting better?
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                              X