PDA

View Full Version : New idea of family fun: Sell Beer earlier

Skooby
06-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Those Delaware North guys are brilliant:

“The general purpose is to restore some of the family environment to the stadium and downgrade a little bit of the emphasis on tailgating,” said Assemblyman Sean Ryan (D-Buffalo), according to the Buffalo News.

While it might seem counter-intuitive to think more beer consumption will result in an enhanced family environment, Ryan explained his reasoning, saying that it would provide a “more controlled environment” for beer consumption as compared to current tailgating traditions.
“Bills fans seem to have a taste for beer before noon on Sundays,” he said.
With frigid temperatures the norm in Buffalo, Ryan also thinks that the warmth of the stadium will attract some tailgaters.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/11/plan-for-family-fun-at-bills-games-sell-beer-earlier/

THATHURMANATOR
06-11-2014, 11:31 AM
The thing is it could promote a less rowdy environment.

Skooby
06-11-2014, 11:48 AM
The thing is it could promote a less rowdy environment.

Do you think drinking the ~$1 a piece beer / liquor by your car will be less appealing than ~$5 a B/L in the stadium ? Plus your group of friends may or may not be sitting together, so it breaks up the party.

trapezeus
06-11-2014, 11:51 AM
its more like $7-8 and its still a pretty low price.

at some point, we can't complain that we refuse to drink and eat in the stadium and wonder why the execs keep cutting players. Let's play like the big boys and pay for a nice experience if they can provide that. they will have a newly renovated stadium this year. the pics and stuff make it seem like a pretty big undertaking and that it will be dramatically different.

Skooby
06-11-2014, 12:16 PM
its more like $7-8 and its still a pretty low price.

at some point, we can't complain that we refuse to drink and eat in the stadium and wonder why the execs keep cutting players. Let's play like the big boys and pay for a nice experience if they can provide that. they will have a newly renovated stadium this year. the pics and stuff make it seem like a pretty big undertaking and that it will be dramatically different.

If it's near game time I'm buying stadium beers. The $7-$8 beers are usually like 20oz so I extrapolated it out to ~$5 per 12oz.

stuckincincy
06-11-2014, 02:17 PM
It's a money grab with a weasel-word explanation. This regime is all about promotion vs. performance...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24585423/bills-want-to-start-selling-beer-at-11-am-on-gameday-sundays

better days
06-11-2014, 02:41 PM
I don't see how they could allow beer to be sold early at the Stadium without allowing bars to do the same.

That would be a good thing for the new Stadium if it is located in the City.

stuckincincy
06-11-2014, 02:48 PM
I don't see how they could allow beer to be sold early at the Stadium without allowing bars to do the same.

That would be a good thing for the new Stadium if it is located in the City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

WagonCircler
06-11-2014, 02:58 PM
They're making all these improvements to the Ralph and, hopefully/eventually, building a new stadium. Since the games almost all start at 1PM on Sundays, getting people into the stadium early would be huge for sales.

I love the tailgating thing as much as the next guy, but we have to face facts. If the team is going to stay, there will need to be more revenue sources.

It may not sound like much, but it's the new reality. And I'd rather pay extra than lose the team.

better days
06-11-2014, 03:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

What does 10 cent beer have to do with this?

If anything, less alcohol will be consumed in the Stadium than in the parking lots.

stuckincincy
06-11-2014, 03:11 PM
What does 10 cent beer have to do with this?

If anything, less alcohol will be consumed in the Stadium than in the parking lots.

I knew you would chime in with the literal view.

better days
06-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I knew you would chime in with the literal view.

I still don't get your point.

Please explain it for us dullards.

stuckincincy
06-11-2014, 03:22 PM
I still don't get your point.

Please explain it for us dullards.

Opening up the hours of beer sales makes more profit. A After time in the parking lots, folks get an itch to get into the stadium. The more folks ingest, the drunker they get. Until you hit your limit, economically, philosophically, or physiologically, you continue to buy their booze. In the Bills' minds, do it inside at 5 or 6 or 7 bucks for a cup.

Skooby
06-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Opening up the hours of beer sales makes more profit. A After time in the parking lots, folks get an itch to get into the stadium. The more folks ingest, the drunker they get. Until you hit your limit, economically, philosophically, or physiologically, you continue to buy their booze. In the Bills' minds, do it inside at 5 or 6 or 7 bucks for a cup.

This would generate probably an extra $750,000 a season in sales, not including playoffs.

Night Train
06-11-2014, 05:30 PM
Who knew the Bills were out to make :$: ??

better days
06-11-2014, 07:32 PM

So explain what that has to do with 10 cent beer.

Not much profit in 10 cent beer.

Skooby
06-11-2014, 07:47 PM
So explain what that has to do with 10 cent beer.

Not much profit in 10 cent beer.

Unless you have to buy a $100 bucket of wings.

DynaPaul
06-11-2014, 08:09 PM
They want you drunker earlier to ward off the sadness.

Skooby
06-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Dead:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11100227/buffalo-bills-effort-earlier-gameday-alcohol-sales-fails

better days
06-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Dead:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11100227/buffalo-bills-effort-earlier-gameday-alcohol-sales-fails

I expected as much.

better days
06-18-2014, 09:48 AM
And that is the problem with building a new Stadium with no tailgating.

There is only one hour between the time alcohol can be sold & the game starts.

That is simply not enough time to go to a restaurant & get to the stadium & into your seat before the start of the game.

stuckincincy
06-18-2014, 12:15 PM
This would generate probably an extra $750,000 a season in sales, not including playoffs.

That's as good an estimate as any. Earlier stadium booze sales is in the same bailiwick as a bar promoting a happy hour. Cha-ching.

better days
06-18-2014, 12:26 PM
That's as good an estimate as any. Earlier stadium booze sales is in the same bailiwick as a bar promoting a happy hour. Cha-ching.

Well, if the Bills were to sell beer at a REDUCED price from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM then yeah, happy hour.