PDA

View Full Version : Pegula just picked up a boatload of money this past Monday, ready to bid ?

Skooby
06-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Looks like he's ready to bid with cash in hand:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/06/11/terry-pegula-cash-hand-1-75-billion-sale-oil-acreage/

better days
06-11-2014, 07:29 PM
I would love to see Pegula as owner of the Bills myself.

Skooby
06-11-2014, 07:51 PM
I would love to see Pegula as owner of the Bills myself.

He could pay for a downtown stadium & the Bills cash, that'd eliminate all the BS & horsing around now wouldn't it ??

BertSquirtgum
06-11-2014, 07:55 PM
Thread #2 for the day.

Crisis
06-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Have a hard time believing he burned through most of the 4.7 billion he received four years ago.

Pegula owning both Buffalo teams would be a dream.

BertSquirtgum
06-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Have a hard time believing he burned through most of the 4.7 billion he received four years ago.

I don't think anyone is saying he did. He is possibly freeing up money to make the purchase so that he doesn't have to go into his other investments or funds.

Skooby
06-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Thread #2 for the day.

Is relaying this information a problem ? Don't you find the timing of him getting that much money in & the bidding process on the Bills starting sort of ironic ? Like usual though you add nothing to the conversation & attack the poster in your own hump way. Can you like make a effort for like a few days to focus on the topic of conversation instead of going off on self-fulfilling tangents (ohh big word better google it) ?

Novacane
06-11-2014, 08:27 PM
He could pay for a downtown stadium & the Bills cash, that'd eliminate all the BS & horsing around now wouldn't it ??

It doesn't matter how much he has. He wouldn't pay for the stadium himself.

Skooby
06-11-2014, 08:41 PM
It doesn't matter how much he has. He wouldn't pay for the stadium himself.

Does anyone here know how money works in real life ? He doesn't take it out of the bank, he just says I'll back it with my own money & borrow it, minimal risk to the bank because they have recourse on Billions.

HarborCenter is being financed by Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula.[7] The building will contain indoor parking for 750 vehicles, and will feature two indoor ice rinks on the building's seventh floor, one with an 1,800-seat capacity and the other with a 150-seat capacity. IMPACT Sports Performance will operate HarborCenter’s 5,000 square foot, high performance off-ice training facility located on the buildings 6th floor.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HarborCenter

BertSquirtgum
06-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Is relaying this information a problem ? Don't you find the timing of him getting that much money in & the bidding process on the Bills starting sort of ironic ? Like usual though you add nothing to the conversation & attack the poster in your own hump way. Can you like make a effort for like a few days to focus on the topic of conversation instead of going off on self-fulfilling tangents (ohh big word better google it) ?

Are you as illiterate as you are an attention whore?

I don't think anyone is saying he did. He is possibly freeing up money to make the purchase so that he doesn't have to go into his other investments or funds.

justasportsfan
06-11-2014, 09:04 PM
He is the one I hope becomes the bills owner

Skooby
06-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Are you as illiterate as you are an attention whore?

I'm writing from a phone at a restaurant, sorry if it's quick & illiterate. There you go again as well, off topic tangents. You can't even help yourself can you ?

Ginger Vitis
06-11-2014, 10:25 PM
One of Skoobs best threads in awhile very newsworthy

Ginger Vitis
06-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Thread #2 for the day.

This was skoobys 3rd thread.. Can he come up with 3 new threads again today

Skooby
06-12-2014, 06:28 AM
This was skoobys 3rd thread.. Can he come up with 3 new threads again today

I have a hot one ready but was told not to post it, I'm burning up.

Fletch
06-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Looks like he's ready to bid with cash in hand:

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/06/11/terry-pegula-cash-hand-1-75-billion-sale-oil-acreage/

What do you think, these guys show up at an auction with cash in a bunch of briefcases?

trapezeus
06-12-2014, 08:19 AM
i thought it was an interesting link.

the winner of the bills bidding, will have the most sound personal balance sheet. moving to cash and out of hard to value land deals isn't exactly high on the NFL committee ownership. i own $42.3bn in a postage stamp collection. the going rate is apparent $2.50, but i personally valued it at $42.bn.

So the fact he's got that as cash (defined as readily sellable from 30 days to 3M window), gives him only part of his net worth in cash. while aothers will need to say there are valuations that make them worth less than pegulas cash holdings.

he could just be doing this as part of his long term fracking strategy, but he might not. it's intriguing.

Fletch
06-12-2014, 08:22 AM

From my understanding it would be much of a dream if the same thing happened with the Bills as did the Sabers. From what others have said it wasn't good. Sounds like the nightmare would continue if that were the case.

I'm for any new owner that will clean out the front office in all the personnel positions. I'm assuming that Littman's gone since a new owner probably would want someone that he trusts in that position. Mary Wilson will be gone, Brandon will be toast. But if they keep Whaley, Overdorf, Majeski, Gibbons, Fisher, and all the rest of the personnel/scout people then it will be a huge mistake.

Fletch
06-12-2014, 08:23 AM
i thought it was an interesting link.

the winner of the bills bidding, will have the most sound personal balance sheet. moving to cash and out of hard to value land deals isn't exactly high on the NFL committee ownership. i own $42.3bn in a postage stamp collection. the going rate is apparent $2.50, but i personally valued it at $42.bn.

So the fact he's got that as cash (defined as readily sellable from 30 days to 3M window), gives him only part of his net worth in cash. while aothers will need to say there are valuations that make them worth less than pegulas cash holdings.

he could just be doing this as part of his long term fracking strategy, but he might not. it's intriguing.

We'll see, but these uberwealthy types always have ways of finding cash.

trapezeus
06-12-2014, 08:42 AM
it just seems the NFL wants stability in ownership. if they were willing to let people heavily finance and not be in cash like products, you'd see a lot more celebrity types and people who have $100-500MM in net worth leveraging up to put in offeres. the nfl is a printing press of cash.

i just don't think someone in the $3-5BN range would willingly hold highly liquid securities at essentially zero interest rates if they didn't hvae a plan to use that cash today. for him to be in bonds and securities under 3M for $1.7BN probably returns like8MM for the year. if he has it in large blue chip dividend stocks, the dividends alone could yield like $51MM with a similar risk profile.

To me, it seems like he's in the acquisition mode. the question is now, what does he want.

Skooby
06-12-2014, 08:45 AM
What do you think, these guys show up at an auction with cash in a bunch of briefcases?

One of the requirements for owner approval of new NFL team ownership besides being able to pay for the team is to have $200 Million liquid net worth, which obviously is like needing to have a briefcase full of cash.

trapezeus
06-12-2014, 09:33 AM
From my understanding it would be much of a dream if the same thing happened with the Bills as did the Sabers. From what others have said it wasn't good. Sounds like the nightmare would continue if that were the case.

I'm for any new owner that will clean out the front office in all the personnel positions. I'm assuming that Littman's gone since a new owner probably would want someone that he trusts in that position. Mary Wilson will be gone, Brandon will be toast. But if they keep Whaley, Overdorf, Majeski, Gibbons, Fisher, and all the rest of the personnel/scout people then it will be a huge mistake.

i agree half way with you. if someone is willing to cut the purse string guys like brandon and litman and bring in new strategy guys to say, "we make money by being good and marketing that to america. there is no reason that people can't fall in love with our team." I can get on board.

The current guys who you refer to as toast were fine with saying, "lets just find the lowest level of expenses we can incur and then charge up to make our spread and then leave the fans in the lurch and hope the state picks up shortages for us." It made them rich, but it did nothing for the community, nothing for the NFL and they will not be hired by anyone else. maybe littman has some value since he knows the cap stuff well. but brandon was a joke.

maybe the scouts and whaley etc can work better within new confines. the new strategy team will need to put a premium on the FO staff. get people from winning organizations and develop a protocol that can withstand people leaving. if it's a new owner with a feeling of keeping the team in buffalo, i'll give him some time and some bad seasons. Their goal is to win a championship and i think that could take time. the current lot is just looking to steal your money because of your emotional investment. that's what makes them the snakeoil salesmen that they are. if a new owner is looking to leave, then we have 6 years to be relevant. and by all means, trade picks and buy players to make it fun while we have them.

pegula did that with the sabres. gave the hockey guys who were there a chance to prove themselves without some of the dead weight above them, and they failed and lost their job. that's fair to me. cutting whaley and marrone but not giving the know nothings at the top the boot would be awful.

WagonCircler
06-12-2014, 09:58 AM

He didn't burn through it. He sold his company for 4.7 BIL. He didn't own 100% of the company, and $4.7 BIL is a pre-tax figure.

OLDSRIP
06-12-2014, 02:50 PM

I don't want to disappoint anyone but.
The reason he sold everything on Monday was because him and I had a little side bet on the horse races and I won.

BertSquirtgum
06-12-2014, 02:51 PM

You are king of the nerds

BertSquirtgum
06-12-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm writing from a phone at a restaurant, sorry if it's quick & illiterate. There you go again as well, off topic tangents. You can't even help yourself can you ?

Do you not see this as a problem? Do you really feel compelled to post on this website while at a restaurant? You have a problem Skoobs. It's ok if you're not the first to report something about the Bills.

Skooby
06-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Do you not see this as a problem? Do you really feel compelled to post on this website while at a restaurant? You have a problem Skoobs. It's ok if you're not the first to report something about the Bills.

If who I'm with goes to drop a deuce, then it's game on & again my time is mine. Your concern is duly noted, I suggest you spend more time focusing on topics at hand.

whkfc
06-12-2014, 03:48 PM
WGRZ reporting Pegula will in fact bid on the Bills.

Skooby
06-12-2014, 03:54 PM
WGRZ reporting Pegula will in fact bid on the Bills.

Well there you go, looks to be official. The timing of his liquidity seems too ironic to overlook, I mean the bidding is just about ready to start.

WagonCircler
06-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Well there you go, looks to be official. The timing of his liquidity seems too ironic to overlook, .

That's not actually what ironic means.

But this is great news, and it would seem that Terry P's move to liquify some assets was not a coincidence.

Skooby
06-12-2014, 04:19 PM
That's not actually what ironic means.

But this is great news, and it would seem that Terry P's move to liquify some assets was not a coincidence.

It doesn't seem too ironic for his land closing & the Bills bidding to be so close together, like it wasn't planned ??

WagonCircler
06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
It doesn't seem too ironic for his land closing & the Bills bidding to be so close together, like it wasn't planned ??

Ironic means opposite. Like a butcher whose kids are all vegans. Or like a football team who overspends on a Wide Receiver when they don't have a Quarterback to throw to him.

WagonCircler
06-12-2014, 04:27 PM

Ironic means opposite. Like a butcher whose kids are all vegans. Or like a football team who overspends on a Wide Receiver when they don't have a Quarterback to throw to him.

Think "Tall guy named shorty."

Skooby
06-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Think "Tall guy named shorty."

It's a situational irony:

2 a : inconsistency between an actual and an expected result of a sequence of events b : a result marked by this inconsistency

http://www.wordcentral.com/cgi-bin/student?va=irony

Jan Reimers
06-12-2014, 05:49 PM
After taxes on the latest sale, Pegula will be worth over $4 Billion. He can buy both the Bills and Jon Bon Jovi, and keep the Bills in Buffalo and Bon Jovi as his personal, sniveling little toady.

kishoph
06-13-2014, 04:54 AM

Just curious, was it God that told you not to post it ?

Night Train
06-13-2014, 06:18 AM
After taxes on the latest sale, Pegula will be worth over $4 Billion. He can buy both the Bills and Jon Bon Jovi, and keep the Bills in Buffalo and Bon Jovi as his personal, sniveling little toady.

:rofl: Awesome.

swiper
06-13-2014, 07:57 AM
At the risk of upsetting coastal's doubting Twitter ways....

Jeff Russo @JeffRussoWKBW
(https://twitter.com/JeffRussoWKBW)Source: #Sabres (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Sabres&src=hash) owner Terry Pegula and his wife Kim interested in making a bid on the #Buffalo (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Buffalo&src=hash) #BIlls (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BIlls&src=hash). Determined to win bid.

Skooby
06-13-2014, 09:40 PM
So TP will bid.

WagonCircler
06-14-2014, 12:00 PM
It's a situational irony:

http://www.wordcentral.com/cgi-bin/student?va=irony

No, it's not.

There is nothing remotely ironic about Terry Pegula freeing up cash to make a purchase, situational or otherwise.

It is not out of the ordinary. It is, in fact, the opposite. It is perfectly predictable behavior.

His act of liquidating some assets to prepare for an acquisition could be called a harbinger. A red herring. A tell. A clear signal. A predictor. A leading indicator. A sure sign.

It cannot however, be called ironic. There's absolutely nothing ironic about it, situational or otherwise.

Skooby
06-14-2014, 04:57 PM
No, it's not.

There is nothing remotely ironic about Terry Pegula freeing up cash to make a purchase, situational or otherwise.

It is not out of the ordinary. It is, in fact, the opposite. It is perfectly predictable behavior.

His act of liquidating some assets to prepare for an acquisition could be called a harbinger. A red herring. A tell. A clear signal. A predictor. A leading indicator. A sure sign.

It cannot however, be called ironic. There's absolutely nothing ironic about it, situational or otherwise.

Read it again.