PDA

View Full Version : wgr550: Panthers have 'fair offer' for No. 1 overall pick

swiper
06-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Panthers have 'fair offer' for No. 1 overall pick
Matthew Coller

<article>
As we approach the June 27 NHL draft, it appears the Florida Panthers are taking phone calls about the No. 1 overall pick.

From Damian Cox’s latest column: “As far as the draft, Tallon said he has received one ‘fair offer’ (http://www.thestar.com/sports/the_spin/2014/06/dale_tallon_in_the_middle_of_all_important_nhl_conversations_right_now__cox.html) for the first pick overall, which he has made clear is available for trade.”

Like the Houston Texans in the NFL, the Panthers have made it public that they are interested in hearing what the rest of the league has to offer.
Tallon has not been shy about what he wants in a deal, saying he would like a top pair defenseman (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2014/05/21/nhl-draft-day-outlook/9336765/).

</article>
Which teams could be interested in making such a deal? The Vancouver Canucks (http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/2014+draft+prospects+that+could+available/9915634/story.html) have been rumored to be interested in getting from the No. 6 overall to the top pick.

http://www.wgr550.com/Panthers-have-fair-offer-for-No-1-overall-pick/19197657

Ginger Vitis
06-11-2014, 10:19 PM
If the Canucks get the No.1 pick it's to take the local kid Reinhart and Aaron Ekblad will probably be a Sabre.. Picking Ekblad will get a fair amount of criticism on this board but you can never have enough defensemen with Ekblads ability. The Sabres can't lose IMO it's either Reinhart or Ekblad

swiper
06-12-2014, 05:18 AM
If the Canucks get the No.1 pick it's to take the local kid Reinhart and Aaron Ekblad will probably be a Sabre.. Picking Ekblad will get a fair amount of criticism on this board but you can never have enough defensemen with Ekblads ability. The Sabres can't lose IMO it's either Reinhart or Ekblad

Of course. Because the Sabres lack true top line centers and scorers. It would take me awhile to get adjusted to the fact that an Ekblad pick wasn't a bad pick, especially after picking Myers, and then Ristolainen and Zadorov. But you're right. Neither would be a "bad" pick.

coastal
06-12-2014, 06:52 AM
Talk another defensemen like Eklbad?

hell to the yeah.

build the biggest, baddest D in the history of the NHL, find a goalie, get your scorers in next years draft and through free agency and trade.

Dr. Lecter
06-12-2014, 07:01 AM
No, no, no, no and no.

The Sabres were 30th in the NHL in goal scoring by a very wide margin. They need offensive talent. Badly and desperately. Don't over think this and take a defenseman.

coastal
06-12-2014, 09:35 AM
No, no, no, no and no.

The Sabres were 30th in the NHL in goal scoring by a very wide margin. They need offensive talent. Badly and desperately. Don't over think this and take a defenseman.
Best talent available.

build your assets

trapezeus
06-12-2014, 10:04 AM
another defensemen makes myers expendable or one of those guys tradeable for a high talent forward. i'm ok with taking the BPA. at worst, he doesn't pan out and we still have a a young defense with hope. at best, we can move a defensemen becaues they all become solid and bring in a haul of talent.

coastal
06-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Myers, Risto, Zad, Ekblad, Pysyk and McCabe as our defensemen!?

um... Totally ok with all that.

Totally.

Dr. Lecter
06-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Best talent available.

build your assets

If he was clearly the top talent I would agree. But he is not.

So take the player they need.

Getting a Toews type of player would be awesome

chernobylwraiths
06-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Was Eckblad that good this year because he was a man among boys? We shall see.

Pick me an offensive player please. One with grit would be better, but I will take any with a lot of talent.

Ginger Vitis
06-12-2014, 10:44 AM
at worst, he doesn't pan out

Ekblad is a Ok skater for his size not great.. If he can improve his skating somewhat and put on even more size he will be the next Shea Weber.. If not he should be along the lines of a Brent Seabrook

trapezeus
06-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Was Eckblad that good this year because he was a man among boys? We shall see.

Pick me an offensive player please. One with grit would be better, but I will take any with a lot of talent.

i dig what you are saying, but with a high pick, we need a player with just pure talent. the grit and talent above the median average is what the 2nd liners and 3rd liners are for as you draft welll through all the rounds and make good FA moves.

Just balls out talent is hard to acquire...and unless you are doing it at the top end of the draft, you got to spend a lot of money with guys with some wear and tear on them.

i still think we are in the run for next year's top picks. So it's even mitigated by the fact that we can take a top forward next year.

Skooby
06-12-2014, 11:36 AM
i dig what you are saying, but with a high pick, we need a player with just pure talent. the grit and talent above the median average is what the 2nd liners and 3rd liners are for as you draft welll through all the rounds and make good FA moves.

Just balls out talent is hard to acquire...and unless you are doing it at the top end of the draft, you got to spend a lot of money with guys with some wear and tear on them.

i still think we are in the run for next year's top picks. So it's even mitigated by the fact that we can take a top forward next year.

Getting scored on less next season isn't going to help us score more goals, which raises the odds of getting McDavid by our own hand or thanks to the Isles' wheels falling off.

trapezeus
06-12-2014, 11:45 AM
right, so strengten up defense for years and have them have some natural pairings, and then get some scorers in the draft and we hvae a farm team that's going to be pretty good.

coastal
06-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Having a dominant defensive pairing changes a team. It changes the game.

The prospect of having two dominant pairings and a more than solid 3rd pairing?

i will find my goal scoring in next years draft (2 projected high first round picks), trades and with a few key free agent signings over the next few years.

building a dominant and deep back end... with Nolan as coach?

Absolutely.

Ginger Vitis
06-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Interesting poker being played here. If Im the Canucks I would not give the Panthers more than Bo Horvat to go to No.1.. If the Panthers want to trade down and take Kaspari Kapanen so Barkov has a finnish buddy they almost certainly can get Kapanen @6 less likely @8 but if the Leafs are offering more than the Canucks what do the Panthers do

DetDannyWilliams
06-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Murray feels defenseman Aaron Ekblad will go number one either to Florida or any team that jumps up there. He said he’s heard at least four teams are trying to get to number one to take Ekblad.

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Murray-talks-buyouts-the-draft-analytics-an/19208171

swiper
06-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Murray feels defenseman Aaron Ekblad will go number one either to Florida or any team that jumps up there. He said he’s heard at least four teams are trying to get to number one to take Ekblad.

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Murray-talks-buyouts-the-draft-analytics-an/19208171

That's all poker-playing on Murray's part. FWIW.