PDA

View Full Version : In 2014 Manuel gets the unabridged version of the playbook

swiper
06-12-2014, 05:00 AM
During EJ Manuel (http://www.nfl.com/player/ejmanuel/2539228/profile)'s rookie campaign, the Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF)' coaching staff consciously decided not to throw the entire playbook at the quarterback.

This year, coach Doug Marrone (http://www.nfl.com/player/dougmarrone/2520180/profile) and coordinator Nathaniel Hackett have given Manuel the unabridged edition of their offense, per the team's official website.

<tbody>

<tbody>

</tbody>

<tbody>

</tbody>

<tbody>

</tbody>

</tbody>
According to Bills Insider Chris Brown (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/OTA-8-%E2%80%93-Offense-handed-the-full-playbook/83a3d14d-79c4-4991-8484-36b7d2803c8c), coaches have thrown the entire playbook at the offense during this week's OTA in preparation for next week's minicamp.

While the team didn't want to overwhelm its rookie signal-caller last season -- often limiting him to half-field-reads -- this season it must find out what Manuel can handle.

"It's more so just expecting a lot from our offense," Manuel said of the recent practices. "Yeah we're putting in a lot of plays, but I have a sense of urgency just like the rest of us. So when things aren't going well or how we want things to go in practice it's frustrating."

With a deep backfield and a young, talented receiving corps, Manuel has the weapons around him to succeed if he can improve on an injury-plagued, roller-coaster rookie season.

Now that there are no more floaties on Manuel, the coaching staff will see if its first-round quarterback will sink or swim.

Side note: The Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) canceled Wednesday's OTAs, apparently for a team bonding adventure (https://twitter.com/ChrisBrownBills/status/476719563007328256).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000357386/article/bills-throwing-whole-offensive-playbook-at-ej-manuel

DynaPaul
06-12-2014, 05:28 PM
It doesn't matter what plays he run if he can't improve his accuracy.

Generalissimus Gibby
06-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Hope all that extra weight in the full playbook doesn't hurt his legs.

jamze132
06-13-2014, 02:31 AM
He could be the smartest QB in the NFL but if he can't hit the broad side of a barn, we're doomed.

Night Train
06-13-2014, 03:53 AM
He could be the smartest QB in the NFL but if he can't hit the broad side of a barn, we're doomed.

Fitz says hi.

Watkins caught a ton of short passes/bubble screens at Clemson. . Mike Williams is one of the best in the NFL at going up for jump balls and coming down with it. Without a doubt, these moves were made with Manuel in mind. Manuel did find Woods very well last year.

They have basically set the table for the guy and it's up to him to sink or swim.

I don't care about OTA reports myself...I can't see the players. Plus they are trying to run new plays for practice and not playing actual football.

We know the score with Manuel and the QB situation. The rest of the roster has improved dramatically over the last 15-16 months since the 2 Doug's began reshaping the roster. The QB play is the key. I think we get that...but some here just are married to redundant daily posts.

How man times must we here the same song, over and over ? It's like the Classic Rock station playing Stairway To Heaven once every hour for 20 years.

It comes down to QB play....WE GET IT.

It's June.

gr8slayer
06-13-2014, 10:37 AM
It's almost comical how negative some of you are when talking about Manuel. I feel like a broken record at this point, but I'll say it again. The guy was drafted as a PROJECT QB with a ridiculously high ceiling. He had absolutely no business starting last season, he wasn't drafted with the intention of him starting last season, and you can blame the Bills for screwing up and putting him in a position where he needed to start last season. Manuel was not ready physically, he wasn't ready mentally. This idea that he is inaccurate is also hilarious.

swiper
06-13-2014, 02:54 PM
You don't draft a project QB with the 16th pick of the draft. That statement is rife with pure ignorance.

swiper
06-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Nor has any talent evaluater EVER made a claim that Manuel has a "ridiculously high ceiling." Because he doesn't. Another ridiculously ignorant claim.

sudzy
06-13-2014, 03:22 PM
This idea that he is inaccurate is also hilarious.

You and I, must not be watching the same games.

stuckincincy
06-13-2014, 03:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000357386/article/bills-throwing-whole-offensive-playbook-at-ej-manuel

I can't say I've ever heard the likes of this - a team, a coach admitting that they truncated their offensive plans for a rookie qb - let alone a 1st round qb.

Amazing...

Luisito23
06-13-2014, 03:43 PM
LOL...A lot of ignorance in this thread.

SquishDaFish
06-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Nor has any talent evaluater EVER made a claim that Manuel has a "ridiculously high ceiling." Because he doesn't. Another ridiculously ignorant claim.

Ignorance is your middle name. Alot of talent evaluators predraft and post draft were saying he has a high ceiling and needed some time. He was a risky QB pick but can have huge rewards. Donkeys like you who trash him after ONE ROOKIE season is pathetic. He gets one more year to show improvement in my book.

gr8slayer
06-13-2014, 06:39 PM
You don't draft a project QB with the 16th pick of the draft. That statement is rife with pure ignorance.

Kid, I've forgotten more about the game of football than you'll ever know about the game of football.

BillsImpossible
06-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Does this mean EJ gets to see the boobies in full bloom without the bra?

swiper
06-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Kid, I've forgotten more about the game of football than you'll ever know about the game of football.

Not a chance Sally.

swiper
06-14-2014, 07:23 AM
Ignorance is your middle name. Alot of talent evaluators predraft and post draft were saying he has a high ceiling and needed some time. He was a risky QB pick but can have huge rewards. Donkeys like you who trash him after ONE ROOKIE season is pathetic. He gets one more year to show improvement in my book.

I guess this post means you didn't watch him play QB before his rookie year in the NFL, Donkey Kong. Because he did the exact same thing at FSU.

ParanoidAndroid
06-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Not a chance Sally.

No. I think his chances are as close to a sure thing as there is.

Dr. Who
06-14-2014, 08:54 AM

Well, Blake Bortles appears to be a qb with a similar skill set and a similar need to develop. He was drafted top three. Most rookie qbs are projects, even those selected in the first round.

better days
06-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Fitz says hi.

Watkins caught a ton of short passes/bubble screens at Clemson. . Mike Williams is one of the best in the NFL at going up for jump balls and coming down with it. Without a doubt, these moves were made with Manuel in mind. Manuel did find Woods very well last year.

They have basically set the table for the guy and it's up to him to sink or swim.

I don't care about OTA reports myself...I can't see the players. Plus they are trying to run new plays for practice and not playing actual football.

We know the score with Manuel and the QB situation. The rest of the roster has improved dramatically over the last 15-16 months since the 2 Doug's began reshaping the roster. The QB play is the key. I think we get that...but some here just are married to redundant daily posts.

How man times must we here the same song, over and over ? It's like the Classic Rock station playing Stairway To Heaven once every hour for 20 years.

It comes down to QB play....WE GET IT.

It's June.

Chris Sims, former Bucs QB is now a member of the media & he was on the John Murphy show recently.

He said pretty much the same thing as this post & he gave the Bills an A- for the draft.

In addition to Watkins, Sims thinks the Bills got three OL players that will play a long time for the Bills.

cookie G
06-14-2014, 03:01 PM

And I've seen more of the game of football than you've forgotten!!

I don't know what that means, but I like the way it sounds, and I'm sticking to it.

Mr. Miyagi
06-14-2014, 04:42 PM
We can agree to disagree, but there's no need to have a **** measuring contest, especially behind the keyboard everybody can claim to be John Holmes.

Mr. Miyagi
06-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Plus, I surely have forgotten more about what I used to know about football than all of you could ever remember about what you would've forgotten to have known, or something like that.

Winning!

sudzy
06-14-2014, 07:58 PM
You have to love NFL message boards. Everyone here is the expert on the game. They are only hanging out here because they are in between NFL jobs right now. Alright guy, let's get out the measuring tapes.

The Popcorn
06-14-2014, 08:46 PM
GO EJ GO!!!!!!!!!

Night Train
06-15-2014, 06:49 AM
You have to love NFL message boards. Everyone here is the expert on the game. They are only hanging out here because they are in between NFL jobs right now. Alright guy, let's get out the measuring tapes.

Pot and kettle meet once again.

lmcshadow
06-16-2014, 08:49 AM
Hope he gets it

trapezeus
06-17-2014, 01:38 PM
any word on if the playbook has a play called "slide" or "run out of bounds"?