PDA

View Full Version : Per ESPN: Marcus Easley beating out Mike Williams

Mr. Miyagi
06-16-2014, 09:25 AM
When Williams arrived via trade in April, my first reaction was that he could be a top target in the Bills' offense. I'm less convinced now. Williams didn't stand out in OTAs and seeing him in action, there isn't a particular skill that he brings to the table that is different from the rest of the receiver group. If Watkins and Robert Woods become fixtures on the outside and Chris Hogan can continue to contribute in the slot, Williams starts to slide down the depth chart. The Bills will keep Marquise Goodwin and Marcus Easley on their final roster, so Williams will have to fight Hogan and T.J. Graham for the final spot. He could change my opinion in minicamp or early in training camp, but for right now I wouldn't call his spot on the team a sure bet.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/10399/bills-fallers-from-ota-practices

jimmifli
06-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Easley is a June beast.

Dr. Lecter
06-16-2014, 09:31 AM
That statement might be based on him making it on ST play - not WR play

Pinkerton Security
06-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Easley is a June beast.

He always does well in OTAs, training camp and preseason and then never does anything otherwise.

better days
06-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Seriously? NO player wins a job in OTA's.

Marrone has said as much. He said a player could lose his job in OTA's, but nobody can win a job in OTA's.

better days
06-16-2014, 10:04 AM
And that article was written by Mike Rodak.

The IDIOT that also predicted the Bills will go 3-13 this year.

Mr. Miyagi
06-16-2014, 10:22 AM
That statement might be based on him making it on ST play - not WR play
Still takes up a WR spot just the same.

Ed
06-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Easley was our best ST player last year and Marrone really values him in that role, so he probably makes it again. I don't remember how many WR's they kept last year, but I would guess they'll keep 6 this year. Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Williams, Hogan, and Easley.

I can't see them cutting Williams. He's our only veteran WR with any proven success or production.

Dr. Lecter
06-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Still takes up a WR spot just the same.

No necessarily. Teams generally keep 5 WRs. There a certain number of roster spots that are not for a particular position. It could be a 6th WR, 4th TE or 9th LB (or whatever)

trapezeus
06-16-2014, 10:43 AM
nothing but a special teamer. we had injuries on the squad last year, never saw him get onto the field regularly at that time.

the issue is that williams isn't clearly excelling from easley.

all these little stories for OTA are leading to concern that the offense will more or less struggle. obviously we are far away and haven't had training camp, but we thought that williams wasn't necessarily a huge trade other than losing a 6th round pick. and he's not showing any big difference from our ST wr. and normally, i'd just look the other way, but with his off field issues, it becomes a concern that he didn't show and want to impress the new team.

Skooby
06-16-2014, 10:48 AM
So EJ's performance isn't something that can be measured in the OTA's yet a WR who's new to the system & hasn't been able to perform better than another player can be judged as so their dropping down the depth chart ? Is this the logic without pads or hitting ?

trapezeus
06-16-2014, 11:45 AM
i'd just think a top WR with great numbers (without off field issues), comes in and performs in OTAs ahead of the ST Ace. add that hes got off field issues (quite recently from the actual trade) and you get the sense that he isn't really a solution whatsoever, and he's not going to be a leader to help get the WR to the level you want him at.

i would rather have an expensive stevie who plays through everything than a deliquent like williams. but that's me.

Night Train
06-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Rodak is not a good blogger outside his beloved Pats and I've been told pro or con he doesn't do his homework.

He could be right but it's more or a dart throw and it's June for crying out loud. I do know from someone at the workouts that Hogan has indeed made his presence known and thus many are just connecting dots.

HAMMER
06-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Takes time to learn systems people, you don't just show up at OTA's and dominate when you haven't been in the offense before. Easley has the benefit of knowing the system.

swiper
06-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Just put your money all on Adam Schein then. He seems to be telling you what you want to hear.

http://www.piano.christrup.net/PIANO/FORUM/rofl.gif

YardRat
06-16-2014, 02:02 PM
They'll keep six, anything less would just be ignorant, and Williams will be one of them.

If he didn't make the team, it would throw the entire Williams/X-J equilibrium completely out of whack, and then we'd be set back until we found another one.

DesertFox24
06-16-2014, 02:11 PM
I will not say anything regarding Mike Rodaks record predicition until we win our 4th game.

That being said the guy is a flat our MORON!!! (Water Boy)

He knows nothing about the team.

Risers and fallers from OTAs is just flat out laughable.

The WRs the coaches other players said the whole point of this is to learn assignments and try and get the footwork down before training camp.

I also loved of his four fallers two were brand new to the team and one does work with the two new wrs.

Additionally Hackett said that new to this year is WRs and QBs having a step count and time count to get to a spot. In other words if EJ does a three step drop and the wr is supposed to do a quick slant but messes up his footwork the fault on the play lies with the WR not EJ. Granted this is something we will never be able to tell from watching the game. Also if EJ is supposed to a five step drop but is slow getting there and misses his primary read the fault lies with him.

These are the things they are working on and I have no problem with them struggling in OTAs, mini camps and early pre season.

By the third or in our case 4th preseason game we want to see these mistakes cleaned up with timing and what not. I dont expect to light the world on fire in the preseason as both sides of the ball will be trying new things and they are not game planning but as long as timing and rythm is better then I will feel better about our chances week 1.

trapezeus
06-16-2014, 03:05 PM
i always got the sense that rodak got his dream gig of following the pats and then espn stuck him with the east coverage, and since espn doesnt care about anything other than the pats, they let his shoddy work go.

Fletch
06-16-2014, 04:08 PM
I can't see them cutting Williams. He's our only veteran WR with any proven success or production.

I can't either.

Poor planning? Maybe shouldn't have traded Stevie for a 4th?

Whaley sure is the genius.

By the way, anyone read about the other receivers?

Watkins struggling with reading the D, getting properly lined up, and drops.

Chandler looking well beyond his 29 years. That can improve, but it's going to have to be quickly. It's not as if he was a ringer to begin with.

This is the unit that we're relying on to propel us into the playoffs.

Fletch
06-16-2014, 04:12 PM
i would rather have an expensive stevie who plays through everything than a deliquent like williams. but that's me.

One of the more logical posts by anyone over the last few days.

- - - Updated - - -

Takes time to learn systems people, you don't just show up at OTA's and dominate when you haven't been in the offense before. Easley has the benefit of knowing the system.

You also don't show up in the regular season with one rookie, two second year guys, and a bunch of WRs that have done even less and expect much more.

DynaPaul
06-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Mike Rodak articles are hereby banned from discussion. The guy is a moron and hates the Bills so really, who cares what he says?

SpikedLemonade
06-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Mike Williams has to be good -- he is part of the Syracuse Suck that we are trying to become.

tampabay25690
06-16-2014, 04:37 PM
This is so funny when I read it today.
I know someone that has been to at least 5 practices in the OTA'S and says MW has been very good and on the 1st unit every time.

cookie G
06-16-2014, 05:07 PM
Mike Rodak articles are hereby banned from discussion. The guy is a moron and hates the Bills so really, who cares what he says?

That was a terrible piece.

His whole opinion that MW "brings nothing special to the table" and that he "has to prove that he's better than Chris Hogan, Marcus Easley and TJ Graham".

Uh huh.

The dude has more receptions in each of his first 3 seasons than all three have in career receptions..combined.

If he doesn't make the roster, it'll be because of another personal life screw up, not that he failed to beat TJ Graham out of a roster spot.

Fletch
06-16-2014, 05:33 PM

His whole opinion that MW "brings nothing special to the table" and that he "has to prove that he's better than Chris Hogan, Marcus Easley and TJ Graham".

Uh huh.

The dude has more receptions in each of his first 3 seasons than all three have in career receptions..combined.

If he doesn't make the roster, it'll be because of another personal life screw up, not that he failed to beat TJ Graham out of a roster spot.

Unfortunately there are multiple sources for these reports on Williams.

Fletch
06-16-2014, 05:35 PM

THAT'S the spirit!

Did you really mean to put a questionmark after that?

Either way, the fact that Williams hasn't come in and taken charge, given that he's the senior WR by default, is hardly a good sign. We're on the opposite end of the spectrum here.

Skooby
06-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Yeah, taking away anything good or bad from the OTA's seems like it's hugely premature. Implementing the full playbook alone will make it difficult but having players like Watkins will help a lot.

Fletch
06-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah, taking away anything good or bad from the OTA's seems like it's hugely premature. Implementing the full playbook alone will make it difficult but having players like Watkins will help a lot.

It may or may not be premature.

Premature is writing Chandler off because he's not moving well due to his surgery, he has time.

Watkins not getting the O and not reading D's well right now is also premature. Watkins dropping balls right and left and missing his routes is not, particularly since the latter was a knock on him coming out and at Clemson. Again, he didn't make a living at Clemson on solid route running and deep balls. He made it on short stuff turned long, particularly bubble screens. Those won't work in the NFL, so he'll have to butter his bread elsewhere. Will he do so at the level that's expected and that was worth 2 1st-rounders? We'll find out.

Williams getting outplayed by WRs that haven't done a thing in the NFL is also not good. He needs to emerge as a veteran leader among WRs or we won't have one, thanks to the ingenius move to trade away Stevie for a 4th (or 3rd) that we've done so much with since Whaley's been here since 2010. What kind of respect is Williams going to get, particularly with a rep for off-field issues, if he can't prove himself amongst his peers. He'll be worthless if he doesn't work that out very soon. Seems like he's already fighting an uphill battle. There's a reason why we only had to give up a 6th.

The Jokeman
06-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Uh huh.

not to mention the current GM is the one who traded for Williams and didn't draft Graham. Personally the only way Mike Williams doesn't make our final 53 is he gets injured. As I see it he's starting on the outside along with Watkins and expect Woods at slot WR if play 3 WR like we did last year. Easley might make it for ST play. Goodwin seems to be safe leaving the 6th WR up for grabs. Hogan would seem the logical choice but time will tell.

Buffalogic
06-16-2014, 06:23 PM
I wish I could get paid for just saying things regardless of accuracy.

Skooby
06-16-2014, 06:27 PM

Premature is writing Chandler off because he's not moving well due to his surgery, he has time.

Watkins not getting the O and not reading D's well right now is also premature. Watkins dropping balls right and left and missing his routes is not, particularly since the latter was a knock on him coming out and at Clemson. Again, he didn't make a living at Clemson on solid route running and deep balls. He made it on short stuff turned long, particularly bubble screens. Those won't work in the NFL, so he'll have to butter his bread elsewhere. Will he do so at the level that's expected and that was worth 2 1st-rounders? We'll find out.

Williams getting outplayed by WRs that haven't done a thing in the NFL is also not good. He needs to emerge as a veteran leader among WRs or we won't have one, thanks to the ingenius move to trade away Stevie for a 4th (or 3rd) that we've done so much with since Whaley's been here since 2010. What kind of respect is Williams going to get, particularly with a rep for off-field issues, if he can't prove himself amongst his peers. He'll be worthless if he doesn't work that out very soon. Seems like he's already fighting an uphill battle. There's a reason why we only had to give up a 6th.

A Stevie fan, again & to be clear Stevie is a self-centered WR that constantly called for the ball. Saying it's just a normal thing for a WR isn't the case for multiple reasons because he wasn't the open WR & he couldn't get over himself.

Fletch
06-16-2014, 07:11 PM
I wish I could get paid for just saying things regardless of accuracy.

Welcome to the sports media world. It's the perfect career if you can break into it.

- - - Updated - - -

A Stevie fan, again & to be clear Stevie is a self-centered WR that constantly called for the ball. Saying it's just a normal thing for a WR isn't the case for multiple reasons because he wasn't the open WR & he couldn't get over himself.

Are you stupid or what?

I don't care if he was TO selfish, he WAS the best and most experienced WR that we had, PERIOD!

Woodman
06-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Easley is here to play ST ...... he can also play WR in an emergency only situation and that's about it.

Williams will be one of our rotational WR's, we are that deep period.

Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Williams, Hogan and number 6 will be __________________ .

Choose from this list,

Barden, Ramses (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Ramses-Barden/fb409152-54b5-4736-a14a-fdcb66ac5e3b)

Graham, T. (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/T.J.-Graham/3b000197-f637-4268-9a58-1850407a3ad8)J.

Holley, Caleb (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Caleb-Holley/256f87cc-4472-4835-b55a-31265ef116bc)

Summers, Chris (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Chris-Summers/34a2e2c1-158a-44c8-9076-afbb5e8a6414)

Elliott, Kevin (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Kevin-Elliott/896cc6b1-bbce-445a-8e4e-ce9309d5545f)

Roberson, Cordell (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Cordell-Roberson/f2632fdd-a96e-4640-a089-f2f2895a0aa5)

I intentionally left Easley out.

GingerP
06-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Williams $1.6M base salary is guaranteed. You don't trade for that to cut the guy. I'd be shocked if he isn't on the roster.

YardRat
06-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Based on the various reports of the offense working off synchronized steps and timing, coupled with a little bit of attitude and coming up small in big situations it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone at this point that Stevie was shipped out.

swiper
06-17-2014, 04:46 AM
This (the WR depth) will be just one of several interesting battles in camp.

better days
06-17-2014, 08:29 AM

It is EARLY.

Both Watkins & Williams have to learn the offense & develop chemistry with EJ.

If it were the end of August there would be cause for concern, but not at the beginning of June.

Ed
06-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Easley is here to play ST ...... he can also play WR in an emergency only situation and that's about it.

Williams will be one of our rotational WR's, we are that deep period.

Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Williams, Hogan and number 6 will be __________________ .

Choose from this list,

Barden, Ramses (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Ramses-Barden/fb409152-54b5-4736-a14a-fdcb66ac5e3b)

Graham, T. (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/T.J.-Graham/3b000197-f637-4268-9a58-1850407a3ad8)J.

Holley, Caleb (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Caleb-Holley/256f87cc-4472-4835-b55a-31265ef116bc)

Summers, Chris (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Chris-Summers/34a2e2c1-158a-44c8-9076-afbb5e8a6414)

Elliott, Kevin (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Kevin-Elliott/896cc6b1-bbce-445a-8e4e-ce9309d5545f)

Roberson, Cordell (http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster/Cordell-Roberson/f2632fdd-a96e-4640-a089-f2f2895a0aa5)

I intentionally left Easley out.
I don't think they'll keep 6 WR's and Easley. Easley would be the 6th WR assuming they even keep 6. I think Hogan wins that 5th spot and everyone else listed is gone.

better days
06-17-2014, 11:11 AM
I don't think they'll keep 6 WR's and Easley. Easley would be the 6th WR assuming they even keep 6. I think Hogan wins that 5th spot and everyone else listed is gone.

I agree, but I think one or two on that list make the practice squad.

Ed
06-17-2014, 03:39 PM
I agree, but I think one or two on that list make the practice squad.
Probably. They usually keep a couple WR's on the practice squad.

Woodman
06-17-2014, 03:47 PM

It's a passing game that's why I went with 6, Easley is a star on ST and that's why he should make this team.

His value at WR are still TBD in other words he's a Bill primarily for his ST play.

5 might be enough but I'd carry 6 to start with not including Easley among them, he's here for one thing.

better days
06-17-2014, 05:37 PM
It's a passing game that's why I went with 6, Easley is a star on ST and that's why he should make this team.

His value at WR are still TBD in other words he's a Bill primarily for his ST play.

5 might be enough but I'd carry 6 to start with not including Easley among them, he's here for one thing.

The Bills have finally assembled enough talent that some tough decisions will have to be made when it comes time for cuts.

better days
06-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Just put your money all on Adam Schein then. He seems to be telling you what you want to hear.

http://www.piano.christrup.net/PIANO/FORUM/rofl.gif

And you can put your money on Rodak & his 3-13.

:monkeyp::rain:

Night Train
06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Easley is a ST ace with stone hands...currently standing on the sidelines and not playing, according to yesterdays report.

Yet he's beating out others for a roster spot. Got it...

This guy carries the " possible cut " moniker more than anyone.

Blindly believe what you read from a blogger living in Boston. :up:

Fletch
06-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Williams $1.6M base salary is guaranteed. You don't trade for that to cut the guy. I'd be shocked if he isn't on the roster.

This really isn't the point of the thread, nor of those that don't think that Williams rather than Stevie was a worthwhile swap in roster spots, is it.

Williams could be the 8th best WR on the team when it's all said and done, but who cares if he makes the roster with that status. The talk here, and the expectation, is that he can come in and be a veteran leadership presence, both in a vocal leadership role as well as on the field in terms of performance. The former's not likely to occur without the latter either way.

Right now he's doing neither, and he doesn't have four months to establish himself in that role. I'd say that he's basically got this round of practices in mini-camp and then the first few days of training camp or it ain't happening. There are only around 20 training camp days, that's it. It's not two months of training camp, 20 days goes quickly. Right now only a fool would put money on the notion that it will happen.

If it doesn't, it won't say much for the pickup. I'm not talking about money, who cares, in that world $2M is almost chump change, I'm talking about the season. Woods, Watkins, Goodwin, Hogan, Easley aren't carrying this team, it just isn't gonna happen, way too much youth and inexperience there.

Without Williams here are the current career receiving totals for everyone currently on the roster according to BB.com:

Woods: 40 catches, 587 yards, 3 TDs, 1 season
Watkins: nothing
Goodwin: 17, 283, 3, 1 season
Graham: 54, 683, 3, 2 seasons
Barden: 29, 394, 0, 4 seasons with the Giants
Elliott: 10, 108, 0, 1 season split between the Jags and Bills (Lucky Elliott)
Hogan: 10, 83, 0, 2 seasons
Easley: 2, 13, 0, 3 seasons
Holley: nothing
Roberson: nothing, waived by two teams last year
Summers: nothing

You can add it all up, but that's 162 catches, not even 10 TDs, and barely over 2,000 yards of receiving. This is the receiving corps that some think is going to lead us to a winning season, much less the playoffs? Even with Williams in there halfway competently, anyone thinking this is insane. If it happens its gotta be some kind of major NFL record for achievement with young WRs.

There's nothing there yet, and it's not going to develop in one season, and definitely not with Manuel throwing the ball. He first has to get himself straightened out.

It's funny, they talk about how Cleveland's WRs suck without Josh Gordon who's going to be suspended, but Miles, Burleson, and Benjamin alone put our group to shame. Yet, we're talking playoffs.