PDA

View Full Version : Pettine claims Nick Saban gave Belichick the Jets' playbook

IlluminatusUIUC
06-19-2014, 11:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11107433/new-york-jets-playbook-new-england-patriots-possession-mike-pettine-says

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bill Belichick once got busted for illegally spying on the New York Jets (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets). Now there's a story that says the New England Patriots (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ne/new-england-patriots) coach may have obtained a copy of the Jets' playbook from Alabama coach Nick Saban, a close friend -- and an acquaintance of Rex Ryan.

The latest chapter of skullduggery between the two rivals was hatched by Cleveland Browns (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/cle/cleveland-browns) coach Mike Pettine, the Jets defensive coordinator from 2009 to 2012. In an interview with Sports Illustrated's themmqb.com, Pettine suggests that Belichick might have obtained the Jets' playbook through Saban.

At Wes Welker (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5941/wes-welker)'s wedding, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2330/tom-brady) bragged to Mike Smith, another former Jets assistant, that they may have a copy of the Jets' playbook, according to Pettine. Smith and Welker were college roommates at Texas Tech; Smith is now a member of Pettine's staff.

"It didn't shock me because Rex would give them out like candy anyway," Pettine told the website. "He gave one out to Saban, and I was like, 'Don't you know Saban and Bill are pretty good friends? I have a feeling it's going to end up in New England.'"

Oh, Rexy. Never change.

jpdex12
06-19-2014, 11:55 AM
IDK...these coaches aren't idiots. Rex probably gave copies of the playbook out and ran something different. You know how much smoke n mirror activity happens...

HAMMER
06-19-2014, 12:19 PM
IDK...these coaches aren't idiots. Rex probably gave copies of the playbook out and ran something different. You know how much smoke n mirror activity happens...

Rex Ryan could be classified as an idiot.

DraftBoy
06-19-2014, 12:56 PM
I think this is being blown out of proportion. Coaches collaborate during the offseason and there have instances where college coaches have gone to guys like Chip Kelly when he was Oregon for play ideas and scheme specific thoughts. Often times the play calls and films are exchanged and it goes both ways.

If the Jets playbook ended up with New England then that's on Saban, not on Rexy.

Skooby
06-19-2014, 01:14 PM
I think these guys share information all the time on each other.

Homegrown
06-19-2014, 01:19 PM
The Jets have a playbook?

stuckincincy
06-19-2014, 01:30 PM
I think these guys share information all the time on each other.

Yep. When CIN OT Willie Anderson got in a contract snit and went to BAL, The color man (Rich Gannon) in their first contest remarked that it was if BAL had CIN's playbook. :dance:

better days
06-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Well, since Ryan has been HC of the Jets, the Jets have played the Pats* tough.

I think Rex knew Saban would give the playbook to Belichick..............a Trojan horse.

swiper
06-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Put Belichick, Saban, and Ryan in a dark room, all with axes, who comes out alive?

BADTHINGSMAN
06-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Put Belichick, Saban, and Ryan in a dark room, all with axes, who comes out alive?

Ryan, but only because he would be on the floor feeling for the others feet.

GingerP
06-19-2014, 06:59 PM
I have a copy too:

http://www.footballxos.com/download/defense/pro-defense/2010-NY-Jets-Defense-Rex-Ryan.pdf

At least that the defense. I doubt anyone would want the Jets offense.

YardRat
06-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Belichek, because Ryan and Saban think darkness is their ally. But they merely adopted the dark; Bill was born in it, molded by it. He didn't see the light until he was already a man, by then it was nothing to him but BLINDING!

ParanoidAndroid
06-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Remember that Lawyer Malloy acquisition and subsequent 31-3 ass kicking we gave the Patriots on opening day?

swiper
06-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Remember that Lawyer Malloy acquisition and subsequent 31-3 ass kicking we gave the Patriots on opening day?

Probably the last time the Bills beat the Patriots.

The Jokeman
06-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Probably the last time the Bills beat the Patriots.

How can you forget this game?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qgF_9Kxhgqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

justasportsfan
06-19-2014, 09:32 PM
And the bills got Sesame street coloring book

Mike13
06-19-2014, 10:35 PM
A weasel, a ***** and a moron all walk into a bar.

Historian
06-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Big deal. Playbooks are overrated.

You still have to line up against your opponent, and win the battle on every down.

I think it shows more about his character than his winning percentage.

kishoph
06-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Big deal. Playbooks are overrated.

You still have to line up against your opponent, and win the battle on every down.

I think it shows more about his character than his winning percentage.

These coaching staffs pour through so much film of their opponents, that I really don't think that there's much that a playbook is going to reveal that they haven't already seen and dissected 100 times. This is getting blown up because of the spygate scandal.

GingerP
06-20-2014, 02:15 PM
These coaching staffs pour through so much film of their opponents, that I really don't think that there's much that a playbook is going to reveal that they haven't already seen and dissected 100 times. This is getting blown up because of the spygate scandal.

The one that is taking flak about this is Pettine. Ryan is pissed he said anything, because he made it sound like Ryan was and idiot for giving his playbook out to everyone who asks.

DynaPaul
06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Belichick is a genius! Oh wait...

trapezeus
06-20-2014, 03:30 PM
the point is you never hear these issues with the other 31 teams. this isn't about sour grapes for bills fans. people who play the game from marshall faulk to other coaches note that there are things that the pats seem to do that defy logic. other great coaches who have been dominant have gotten kudos. but belichek never gets that. he always gets a healthy dose of skeptisim.

and it must eat him up alive. because he left to get out from parcell's shadow and with all those wins, most people still think he's a dishonest fool who has no social graces.

RedEyE
06-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Belichick has also been reported to have been seen several times with "The Smoking Man".

kishoph
06-22-2014, 04:39 AM
the point is you never hear these issues with the other 31 teams. this isn't about sour grapes for bills fans. people who play the game from marshall faulk to other coaches note that there are things that the pats seem to do that defy logic. other great coaches who have been dominant have gotten kudos. but belichek never gets that. he always gets a healthy dose of skeptisim.

and it must eat him up alive. because he left to get out from parcell's shadow and with all those wins, most people still think he's a dishonest fool who has no social graces.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck......