PDA

View Full Version : The Starting O-Line for The 2014 Buffalo Bills

BillsImpossible
06-24-2014, 08:03 PM
Out of the following players, create your 2014 Buffalo Bills starting offensive line.

Doug Legursky, Seantrel Henderson, Cyril Richardson, Chris Williams, Cyrus Kouandjio, Chris Hairston, Eric Wood, Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik, J.J. 'Unga, Mark Asper, Edawn Coughman, Macky MacPherson, Antoine McClain.

Yes it's very early, and all we have to go by is OTA's, but why not prognosticate? It's June. The rookies are settling in around the league, and news happens fast today.

Prognostication 'tis what the off season is for. Be the Swami.

Look deep in to your crystal ball or can of beer and foretell the future of the Buffalo Bills offensive line.

Swami says what? I see a very bright future ahead, clear and bright as the, "mountain," air in the town of Colden that calmly looks over the great land of WNY.

Seantrel Henderson, Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, Chris Hairston, Cyrus Kouandjio.

I like the idea of developing Seantrel Henderson at LT playing next to a guy who knows how to play the position in Cordy Glenn.

The Bills have recently experimented with Chris Hairston at right guard.

I like the idea of developing Cyrus Kouandjio next to a player who knows how to play the position in Chris Hairston.

If either rookie doesn't know the play after the huddle, they will before the ball is snapped with a little help from their veteran teammates.

Chris Williams was paid a lot of money to play left guard, but if another player is better it makes no sense to start him just because of his contract.

Skooby
06-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Yeah, it can go just like you said. Pears is a goner.

EDS
06-25-2014, 07:51 AM
I will be surprised if the opening day starting o-line is not:

LT: Glenn
LG: Williams
C: Wood
RG: Urbik
RT: Pears

ServoBillieves
06-25-2014, 08:44 AM
I was sure that the signing of Williams would be the end of "let's move our good starting LT to guard" nonsense but... it is Bills fans.

Glenn - Williams - Wood - Urbik - Kouandjio.

I like Hairston in the guard mix, and if he stays healthy that alone is great line depth. Henderson, Richardson, and Unga for the rest

jimmifli
06-25-2014, 12:36 PM
I don't think there were 10 LT's that had a better season last year. Glenn was awesome, if he does that again and the Bills garner any media attention, he's going to the Probowl.

In my mind there are only two real starters: Glenn and Wood.

LG doesn't really matter because he can get help from either side. Anyone better than Legursky can fill this role. My bet is Williams. I don't see him as much of an upgrade but as long as RG isn't a cluster**** that requires lots of help from the C than I think Williams will be fine.

RG and RT are the big question marks. If they bump Hairston inside that means they are counting on Kouandjio to win RT. How often do second round tackles step in as day1 starters and do a good job? Cordy did it... can we get lucky twice? I think that's what the Bills are betting on and it's Koundjio's job to lose.

Glenn - Williams - Wood - Hairston/Urbik - Kouandjio

Bill Cody
06-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Seantrel Henderson, Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, Chris Hairston, Cyrus Kouandjio.

I like the idea of developing Seantrel Henderson at LT playing next to a guy who knows how to play the position in Cordy Glenn.

Has Henderson ever played LT? And he's going to move Glenn off his spot? I'd give that a .1% chance of happening.

stuckincincy
06-25-2014, 02:05 PM
I don't think there were 10 LT's that had a better season last year. Glenn was awesome, if he does that again and the Bills garner any media attention, he's going to the Probowl.

LG doesn't really matter because he can get help from either side. Anyone better than Legursky can fill this role. My bet is Williams. I don't see him as much of an upgrade but as long as RG isn't a cluster**** that requires lots of help from the C than I think Williams will be fine.

RG and RT are the big question marks. If they bump Hairston inside that means they are counting on Kouandjio to win RT. How often do second round tackles step in as day1 starters and do a good job? Cordy did it... can we get lucky twice? I think that's what the Bills are betting on and it's Koundjio's job to lose.

Analysis of Glenn is colored. Since drafted, he's performed in a quick-snap, toss-quick offense. The offense initiates the play. It's a fair question of how well he would do if he had to maintain blocking for several seconds.

And a question to the board: How is he in the run game? Does he block down field?

cookie G
06-25-2014, 02:18 PM

Don't be shocked to see Richardson move into either guard spots by midseason. I expect Williams to struggle like he did last year with the Rams, and they move Richardson in.

stuckincincy
06-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Don't be shocked to see Richardson move into either guard spots by midseason. I expect Williams to struggle like he did last year with the Rams, and they move Richardson in.

Why would any move shock anybody? Their OL has been a study for more than a decade. Now 3 rookies are drafted - are they supposed to be heaven sent, leading BUF to the Promised Land?

jimmifli
06-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Analysis of Glenn is colored. Since drafted, he's performed in a quick-snap, toss-quick offense. The offense initiates the play. It's a fair question of how well he would do if he had to maintain blocking for several seconds.
That's why I was careful with my words. I said I don't think 10 LTs had a better season, he might not be a top 10 LT yet - but last season's out put was at that level.

He's a good run blocker and a good enough pass blocker to succeed in a system that hides his faults. Glenn was put into a situation where the scheme matched his skill set, that was good draft strategy and good coaching.

Given his level of play, moving him to guard in order to start a rookie that almost went undrafted because he couldn't stop getting high is just stupid.

jimmifli
06-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah that could happen.

I'm just not high on fat guys that don't try hard. I feel like we've tried that before. Maybe he gets it figured out, if so he's got the body to dominate.

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2014, 02:52 PM

I agree.

I am hopeful for one rookie starter on the OL this year. Two would be a gift from heaven.

ICRockets
06-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Glenn, Richardson, Wood, Urbik, Kujo

stuckincincy
06-25-2014, 03:01 PM
That's why I was careful with my words. I said I don't think 10 LTs had a better season, he might not be a top 10 LT yet - but last season's out put was at that level.

He's a good run blocker and a good enough pass blocker to succeed in a system that hides his faults. Glenn was put into a situation where the scheme matched his skill set, that was good draft strategy and good coaching.

Given his level of play, moving him to guard in order to start a rookie that almost went undrafted because he couldn't stop getting high is just stupid.

I also doubt Glenn gets moved, other than during the pre season when teams check out combinations and evaluate rookies. One hopes - expects - that that coaching to match his skill set has resulted in development of a "classic", if you will, LT. Kudos to the coaching if that is so. I think it is - Glenn had some question marks if we go by where he was drafted, but I suspect he's answered those. We will see.

It is difficult to criticize BUF for drafting 3 OLs - we know the club's history - but it's difficult to think that all 3 make the roster. That's a lot of space on the 53 man final squad.

Bill Cody
06-25-2014, 03:03 PM
I agree.

I am hopeful for one rookie starter on the OL this year. Two would be a gift from heaven.

Or an act of desperation.

jimmifli
06-25-2014, 03:16 PM
I also doubt Glenn gets moved, other than during the pre season when teams check out combinations and evaluate rookies. One hopes - expects - that that coaching to match his skill set has resulted in development of a "classic", if you will, LT. Kudos to the coaching if that is so. I think it is - Glenn had some question marks if we go by where he was drafted, but I suspect he's answered those. We will see.

It is difficult to criticize BUF for drafting 3 OLs - we know the club's history - but it's difficult to think that all 3 make the roster. That's a lot of space on the 53 man final squad.
We drafted two lineman and one lottery ticket. I have no problem seeing all three make the roster.

They only need to beat out some scrubs, Mark Asper and JJ Unga aren't exactly stiff competition.

Night Train
06-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Blurbs from people in the press on what they saw in OTA's and mini-camps mean little.

We know nothing. Camp and pre-season will sort it out.

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Or an act of desperation.

Homer response ==> "Marrone will coach them up because he has a OL background".

BillsImpossible
06-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Has Henderson ever played LT? And he's going to move Glenn off his spot? I'd give that a .1% chance of happening.

Yes, he did play some LT at Miami and it sounds like he played the position in high school.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-09-15/sports/fl-miami-bcu-notes-0916-20120915_1_seantrel-henderson-malcolm-bunche-jimmy-gaines

Henderson recently played LT at OTAs with the first team. He's learning the playbook quickly, and putting in the time necessary to be a starter.

When Cordy Glenn was drafted, many people thought of him as being a guard.

The Bills O-line gave up 3.0 sacks per game last year, 29th in the league.

They failed to protect the quarterback even with a strong running game.

That's a huge problem I think the Doug Marrone wants to fix as soon as possible.

Erik Pears has got to go. He's not the answer at right tackle.

Both starting guards from last year (Urbik and Legursky) need to be replaced.

Kouandjio is more than likely going to win the starting job at right tackle.

Chris Williams, Chris Hairston, and Cyril Richardson will battle for the starting left and right guard positions.

With a new RT, and two new guards - that's a 60 percent imminent change at minimum for the Bills 2014 O-line.

Homegrown
06-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Has Henderson ever played LT? And he's going to move Glenn off his spot? I'd give that a .1% chance of happening. so..you're saying there's a chance? ....

jimmifli
06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
When Cordy Glenn was drafted, many people thought of him as being a guard.
Not by the Bills.

The Bills O-line gave up 3.0 sacks per game last year, 29th in the league.

Cordy gave up two. All season.

They failed to protect the quarterback even with a strong running game.

The strongest part of their run game was running off LT (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol).

That's a huge problem I think the Doug Marrone wants to fix as soon as possible.

By taking the guy they had the most success running behind AND was the best pass blocker AT THE TOUGHEST POSITION ON THE LINE ... and moving him inside so a pothead that didn't take his college career seriously enough to stay sober can fill the roll? Brilliant!

Homegrown
06-25-2014, 08:54 PM
By taking the guy they had the most success running behind AND was the best pass blocker AT THE TOUGHEST POSITION ON THE LINE ... and moving him inside so a pothead that didn't take his college career seriously enough to stay sober can fill the roll? Brilliant!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this ...end thread ....please

IlluminatusUIUC
06-25-2014, 11:15 PM
This is going to be a ferocious training camp battle to determine who will be the new Irrational Bills Fan Late Rounder Man Crush. The bloom has finally worn off Nigel Bradham and Zebrie Sanders after they took the belt from Michael Jasper.

jimmifli
06-26-2014, 12:39 AM
This is going to be a ferocious training camp battle to determine who will be the new Irrational Bills Fan Late Rounder Man Crush. The bloom has finally worn off Nigel Bradham and Zebrie Sanders after they took the belt from Michael Jasper.

Nigel Bradham actually played well though, so it's tough to lump him in as an "irrational" crush.

It goes back for as long as I've been on these boards. Lief Larsen... Drew Haddad... Sam Aiken... John Wendling... Demetrius Bell...

Skooby
06-26-2014, 01:17 AM

It's tough to say Henderson is such a stretch to be there after being a hugely talented guy in 2010 as top prospect after being one of the top prospects in the nation, it seems like he never even tried in college nor did he take it seriously. That actually leads me to believe that he might be one of our best O-line picks if he gets serious, the guy might end up being one of our best. Lets see what happens.

jimmifli
06-26-2014, 06:43 AM
It's tough to say Henderson is such a stretch to be there after being a hugely talented guy in 2010 as top prospect after being one of the top prospects in the nation, it seems like he never even tried in college nor did he take it seriously. That actually leads me to believe that he might be one of our best O-line picks if he gets serious, the guy might end up being one of our best. Lets see what happens.
Lief Larsen was the strongest guy in the history of the combine. And he'd only just started playing football - "once he learns a little technique he's going to steamroll everyone."

Wendling...
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/K0P-22hhrW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
WRs didn't stand a chance!

blah blah blah... camp crushes are always about guys that are projects ad have "massive potential", occasionally they pan out like Jason Peters, usually they don't. Cheering for them is great, the problem is when fans speculate that they'll be winning starting jobs.

Dr. Lecter
06-26-2014, 06:49 AM

Jasper stayed in the area for a few years. He used to go to the same gym I go to. The dude is freaking massive in person. He ran the 5K that is held at RWS every year last year too. I have not seen him in probably about 6 months however.

Dr. Lecter
06-26-2014, 06:50 AM
Nigel Bradham actually played well though, so it's tough to lump him in as an "irrational" crush.

It goes back for as long as I've been on these boards. Lief Larsen... Drew Haddad... Sam Aiken... John Wendling... Demetrius Bell...

You forgot Kwame Cavil. That might have been my favorite. And Tank Carder.

EDS
06-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Remember when a bunch of posters on this board thought it was a mistake moving Jason Peters from tight end to offensive tackle?

jimmifli
06-26-2014, 08:39 AM
Remember when a bunch of posters on this board thought it was a mistake moving Jason Peters from tight end to offensive tackle?
No. As I remember it he was signed as a RFA with the thought of trying him at LT since he was built like a LT and moved well.

I don't remember anyone thinking he was going to be a TE.

Bill Cody
06-26-2014, 08:42 AM
No. As I remember it he was signed as a RFA with the thought of trying him at LT since he was built like a LT and moved well.

I don't remember anyone thinking he was going to be a TE.

I do. The problem was he was too dumb to learn the playbook. He started off at TE but didn't last long.

BillsImpossible
06-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Not by the Bills.

The strongest part of their run game was running off LT (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol).

Uncle! Uncle!!!!

Okay you win on that one. Very good points.

Hard to rebut, but I'll try.

Buddy Nix thought Glenn was a tackle, but what about Doug Whaley?

Please answer me a very possible hypothetical question.

If Henderson dominates at LT during training camp, WHAT should the Bills do?

Let him sit on the sidelines as a backup? Play him at guard?

What happens if he's really good and has moved on from the past?

According to the latest, Henderson has been studying the playbook every day and knows it better than Jason Peters ever did.

Coach Marrone rewarded him with first team reps, and he did very well.

What would you do if the Bills 7th round, "lottery ticket," pays off big?

Sit him for a year, or tinker with an offensive line that will see a 60% change?

Dr. Lecter
06-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Where did anybody ever say that he knows the playbook better than Peters?

I don't get why Bills fans feel the need to bash Peters all the time. Is it because the Bills ****ed up and had to trade him?

BillsImpossible
06-26-2014, 08:05 PM

I don't get why Bills fans feel the need to bash Peters all the time. Is it because the Bills ****ed up and had to trade him?

Peters sucks satan's pussy. Buffalo didn't have enough bling for his liking. The Bills offered him a very fair contract, but he never wanted to be here after Mouse taught him the o-line ropes.

Peters body language said it all...he's a *****.

kishoph
06-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Not by the Bills.

Glenn gave up 7 sacks last season, I do believe 4 of them came against the Pats in the final game (finding game logs for the OL is pretty hard). I like Glenn and I think he'll remain our LT for at least this season and possibly longer.

k-oneputt
06-26-2014, 09:01 PM

No it was a mistake wasting our 2012 7th rd. flier pick on a freaking kicker from W. Mich instead of on Vontaze Burfict. This years last pick is exactly the type of player you take a chance on. I like the S. Henderson pick.

jimmifli
06-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Glenn gave up 7 sacks last season, I do believe 4 of them came against the Pats in the final game (finding game logs for the OL is pretty hard). I like Glenn and I think he'll remain our LT for at least this season and possibly longer.
PFF has him at 2. Some sacks are unassigned if they can't reliably deduce responsibility.

jimmifli
06-26-2014, 09:48 PM
Please answer me a very possible hypothetical question.

If Henderson dominates at LT during training camp, WHAT should the Bills do?

Let him sit on the sidelines as a backup? Play him at guard?

What happens if he's really good and has moved on from the past?

Uber-hypothetically... Start Cordy at LT and Henderson at RT. If he proves he can handle that spot during the preseason and a change is warranted, switch them. Williams/Urbik/Hairston/Richardson battle it out for the starting guard positions. Kouandjio is the backup tackle. The line has reasonable depth at all positions except center.

It would be as fantastic and wonderful and magical as a unicorn that farts rainbows.

Dr. Lecter
06-27-2014, 05:38 AM
How is it "very possible" that a 7th round pick dominates at LT during camp.

How often does that happen?

YardRat
06-27-2014, 06:01 AM

Yes.