X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The Starting O-Line for The 2014 Buffalo Bills

Out of the following players, create your 2014 Buffalo Bills starting offensive line.

Doug Legursky, Seantrel Henderson, Cyril Richardson, Chris Williams, Cyrus Kouandjio, Chris Hairston, Eric Wood, Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik, J.J. 'Unga, Mark Asper, Edawn Coughman, Macky MacPherson, Antoine McClain.

Yes it's very early, and all we have to go by is OTA's, but why not prognosticate? It's June. The rookies are settling in around the league, and news happens fast today.

Prognostication 'tis what the off season is for. Be the Swami.

Look deep in to your crystal ball or can of beer and foretell the future of the Buffalo Bills offensive line.

Swami says what? I see a very bright future ahead, clear and bright as the, "mountain," air in the town of Colden that calmly looks over the great land of WNY.

Seantrel Henderson, Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, Chris Hairston, Cyrus Kouandjio.

I like the idea of developing Seantrel Henderson at LT playing next to a guy who knows how to play the position in Cordy Glenn.

The Bills have recently experimented with Chris Hairston at right guard.

I like the idea of developing Cyrus Kouandjio next to a player who knows how to play the position in Chris Hairston.

If either rookie doesn't know the play after the huddle, they will before the ball is snapped with a little help from their veteran teammates.

Chris Williams was paid a lot of money to play left guard, but if another player is better it makes no sense to start him just because of his contract.
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: The Starting O-Line for The 2014 Buffalo Bills

Yeah, it can go just like you said. Pears is a goner.

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

I will be surprised if the opening day starting o-line is not:

LT: Glenn
      LG: Williams
      C: Wood
      RG: Urbik
      RT: Pears

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

I was sure that the signing of Williams would be the end of "let's move our good starting LT to guard" nonsense but... it is Bills fans.

Glenn - Williams - Wood - Urbik - Kouandjio.

I like Hairston in the guard mix, and if he stays healthy that alone is great line depth. Henderson, Richardson, and Unga for the rest
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• jimmifli
          • Nov 2006

I don't think there were 10 LT's that had a better season last year. Glenn was awesome, if he does that again and the Bills garner any media attention, he's going to the Probowl.

In my mind there are only two real starters: Glenn and Wood.

LG doesn't really matter because he can get help from either side. Anyone better than Legursky can fill this role. My bet is Williams. I don't see him as much of an upgrade but as long as RG isn't a cluster**** that requires lots of help from the C than I think Williams will be fine.

RG and RT are the big question marks. If they bump Hairston inside that means they are counting on Kouandjio to win RT. How often do second round tackles step in as day1 starters and do a good job? Cordy did it... can we get lucky twice? I think that's what the Bills are betting on and it's Koundjio's job to lose.

Glenn - Williams - Wood - Hairston/Urbik - Kouandjio

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
            Seantrel Henderson, Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood, Chris Hairston, Cyrus Kouandjio.

I like the idea of developing Seantrel Henderson at LT playing next to a guy who knows how to play the position in Cordy Glenn.
            Has Henderson ever played LT? And he's going to move Glenn off his spot? I'd give that a .1% chance of happening.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
              I don't think there were 10 LT's that had a better season last year. Glenn was awesome, if he does that again and the Bills garner any media attention, he's going to the Probowl.

LG doesn't really matter because he can get help from either side. Anyone better than Legursky can fill this role. My bet is Williams. I don't see him as much of an upgrade but as long as RG isn't a cluster**** that requires lots of help from the C than I think Williams will be fine.

RG and RT are the big question marks. If they bump Hairston inside that means they are counting on Kouandjio to win RT. How often do second round tackles step in as day1 starters and do a good job? Cordy did it... can we get lucky twice? I think that's what the Bills are betting on and it's Koundjio's job to lose.

Analysis of Glenn is colored. Since drafted, he's performed in a quick-snap, toss-quick offense. The offense initiates the play. It's a fair question of how well he would do if he had to maintain blocking for several seconds.

And a question to the board: How is he in the run game? Does he block down field?
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• cookie G
                • Mar 2003

Don't be shocked to see Richardson move into either guard spots by midseason. I expect Williams to struggle like he did last year with the Rams, and they move Richardson in.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                  Don't be shocked to see Richardson move into either guard spots by midseason. I expect Williams to struggle like he did last year with the Rams, and they move Richardson in.

Why would any move shock anybody? Their OL has been a study for more than a decade. Now 3 rookies are drafted - are they supposed to be heaven sent, leading BUF to the Promised Land?

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                    Analysis of Glenn is colored. Since drafted, he's performed in a quick-snap, toss-quick offense. The offense initiates the play. It's a fair question of how well he would do if he had to maintain blocking for several seconds.
                    That's why I was careful with my words. I said I don't think 10 LTs had a better season, he might not be a top 10 LT yet - but last season's out put was at that level.

He's a good run blocker and a good enough pass blocker to succeed in a system that hides his faults. Glenn was put into a situation where the scheme matched his skill set, that was good draft strategy and good coaching.

Given his level of play, moving him to guard in order to start a rookie that almost went undrafted because he couldn't stop getting high is just stupid.

Comment

• jimmifli
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                      Yeah that could happen.

I'm just not high on fat guys that don't try hard. I feel like we've tried that before. Maybe he gets it figured out, if so he's got the body to dominate.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

I agree.

I am hopeful for one rookie starter on the OL this year. Two would be a gift from heaven.

Comment

• ICRockets
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2008

Glenn, Richardson, Wood, Urbik, Kujo

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

That's why I was careful with my words. I said I don't think 10 LTs had a better season, he might not be a top 10 LT yet - but last season's out put was at that level.

He's a good run blocker and a good enough pass blocker to succeed in a system that hides his faults. Glenn was put into a situation where the scheme matched his skill set, that was good draft strategy and good coaching.

Given his level of play, moving him to guard in order to start a rookie that almost went undrafted because he couldn't stop getting high is just stupid.
                            I also doubt Glenn gets moved, other than during the pre season when teams check out combinations and evaluate rookies. One hopes - expects - that that coaching to match his skill set has resulted in development of a "classic", if you will, LT. Kudos to the coaching if that is so. I think it is - Glenn had some question marks if we go by where he was drafted, but I suspect he's answered those. We will see.

It is difficult to criticize BUF for drafting 3 OLs - we know the club's history - but it's difficult to think that all 3 make the roster. That's a lot of space on the 53 man final squad.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                              I agree.

I am hopeful for one rookie starter on the OL this year. Two would be a gift from heaven.
                              Or an act of desperation.

Comment

Working...
                              X