PDA

View Full Version : I've been told that Sammy Watkins is probably the best hybrid mix between WR & RB

Skooby
06-26-2014, 12:39 AM
It's inevitable that WR's who can run after the catch will become more aggressive as time goes on, it's not really coming down to guys that can just cover the pass but take the punishment for trying to stop them. Larry Fitzgerald is a great player but he can be stopped on physical play after the ball gets in his hand, it's not he same with Sammy.

A new dawn is coming for WR in the NFL, Hybrid RB's who have the gift of being a physical threat at all points after they catch the ball. We went after Sammy at every draft spot until we obtained him, many panning the price we paid with our next year's first pick. Anyone thinking different if he wasn't our target from the outset is dead wrong. Sammy is going to be the first of many that change the picture, no longer just a simple catch and tackle.

Sammy sees the catch as the start of the play, not the finish and that's the oddest part currently in the NFL. Do you think the 190 lbs guys are just simply going to tackle him after the catch, it's not a simple reality. In reality, the open field of the secondary is a target of expansion past the running all the normal front 7 mass. There's no 300 + LBS guy out there that can easily wrap up a Hybrid power back, it's more like an engage and hold on scenario. Mind you the better secondary guys will gain position so after the catch they can force players outside but in a open field, it becomes mass versus power.

Imagine if a guy like our OJ could catch the ball past the masses of the defense & then look upfield, it'd be matter of time before they'd break loose several times a game. I'd plan on this becoming more of a reality in the near future, Sammy is not going to fall at the first hand on him normally regardless of the situation. The Bills brass really looked ahead here & made the right play. It will generate much more offensive and our TOP should be improve dramatically, something that should of made our current defense even more potent. Imagine if we had just a few more minutes of offensive last season, I'd bet 8-8 would of been would of been obtainable even with our shaky QB back-up mix of starters. Add in more mass on the line this season & EJ staying healthy with Sammy catching the ball, it's a playoff formula.

Go Bills.

BuffaloRedleg
06-26-2014, 02:52 AM
I was told that we might have to wait and see.

Topas
06-26-2014, 02:59 AM
Rofl, Redleg, thats was a great reply.
That being said, I think it is an interesting point. A bit hyperbole, of course, but interesting...
Although I think that it is easier for Offensive player to run over a guy that is heading at them than a player that runs parallel to them and simply wraps aup the legs. There is not a lot you can do as an Offensive player, as long as he evades your stiff arm and/or comes from behind.
Let's see.

YardRat
06-26-2014, 05:03 AM
The closer you get the ball to the line of scrimmage, the more chances you have of getting rolled by a 240-250lb LBer that hits like a truck.

better days
06-26-2014, 06:09 AM
The closer you get the ball to the line of scrimmage, the more chances you have of getting rolled by a 240-250lb LBer that hits like a truck.

Well, I am glad we own the BIGGEST BADDEST truck.

Brandon Spikes.

Fletch
06-26-2014, 07:02 AM
It's inevitable that WR's who can run after the catch will become more aggressive as time goes on, ...

Do you think that this has ever been tried before but simply failed because the NFL is a different league than college ball, especially for teams and players on those teams that are fortunate enough to consistently be playing talent that has no chance of ever playing in the NFL?

A new dawn is coming for WR in the NFL, Hybrid RB's who have the gift of being a physical threat at all points after they catch the ball.

Of course it is.

I remember when we drafted Maybin too, the talk then was about how the DEs in the league were all trending smaller and faster.

- - - Updated - - -

And moves like a Ferrari.

Skooby
06-26-2014, 07:35 AM

LOL, we drafted the weapon and we're going to deploy it. Enjoy the wait.

EDS
06-26-2014, 08:06 AM
It's inevitable that WR's who can run after the catch will become more aggressive as time goes on, it's not really coming down to guys that can just cover the pass but take the punishment for trying to stop them. Larry Fitzgerald is a great player but he can be stopped on physical play after the ball gets in his hand, it's not he same with Sammy.

A new dawn is coming for WR in the NFL, Hybrid RB's who have the gift of being a physical threat at all points after they catch the ball. We went after Sammy at every draft spot until we obtained him, many panning the price we paid with our next year's first pick. Anyone thinking different if he wasn't our target from the outset is dead wrong. Sammy is going to be the first of many that change the picture, no longer just a simple catch and tackle.

Sammy sees the catch as the start of the play, not the finish and that's the oddest part currently in the NFL. Do you think the 190 lbs guys are just simply going to tackle him after the catch, it's not a simple reality. In reality, the open field of the secondary is a target of expansion past the running all the normal front 7 mass. There's no 300 + LBS guy out there that can easily wrap up a Hybrid power back, it's more like an engage and hold on scenario. Mind you the better secondary guys will gain position so after the catch they can force players outside but in a open field, it becomes mass versus power.

Imagine if a guy like our OJ could catch the ball past the masses of the defense & then look upfield, it'd be matter of time before they'd break loose several times a game. I'd plan on this becoming more of a reality in the near future, Sammy is not going to fall at the first hand on him normally regardless of the situation. The Bills brass really looked ahead here & made the right play. It will generate much more offensive and our TOP should be improve dramatically, something that should of made our current defense even more potent. Imagine if we had just a few more minutes of offensive last season, I'd bet 8-8 would of been would of been obtainable even with our shaky QB back-up mix of starters. Add in more mass on the line this season & EJ staying healthy with Sammy catching the ball, it's a playoff formula.

Go Bills.

Who told you he is the best mix between a wide receiver and a running back?

Skooby
06-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Who told you he is the best mix between a wide receiver and a running back?

A football coach I know.

EDS
06-26-2014, 08:13 AM
A football coach I know.

What was the basis for his statement? Was he saying Watkins is the best in NFL history, best on the Bills current roster, best rookie wide receiver with a last name that begins with W?

It is odd because there are lots of guys who are bigger, stronger, faster or have actual experience as former running backs.

mayotm
06-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Who told you he is the best mix between a wide receiver and a running back?How dare you question one of Skooby's reliable sources.

Skooby
06-26-2014, 08:18 AM
What was the basis for his statement? Was he saying Watkins is the best in NFL history, best on the Bills current roster, best rookie wide receiver with a last name that begins with W?

It is odd because there are lots of guys who are bigger, stronger, faster or have actual experience as former running backs.

The basis is the Bills are taking a speed game approach on offense & Sammy brings superior speed & power to the equation, it's the best thing the Bills have done in decades. The Bills also would have moved up even more to get Sammy, that's how much they like his game.

JoeMama
06-26-2014, 09:11 AM

Go Bills.

You make him sound like a sucky tweener like Dexter McCluster when you call him an RB/WR hybrid.

I'm banking on he'll be a solid pro WR.

Night Train
06-26-2014, 09:15 AM

And a 7th round human doobie is our starting at LT, based on bloggers at an OTA.

Agreed..camp can't come soon enough. I'm all for having an actual eye test to go on.

EDS
06-26-2014, 09:16 AM
The basis is the Bills are taking a speed game approach on offense & Sammy brings superior speed & power to the equation, it's the best thing the Bills have done in decades. The Bills also would have moved up even more to get Sammy, that's how much they like his game.

Does he have superior speed and power? He is fast and not undersized, but he is not Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson big, strong and fast. Nor does he have the background running the ball like a Percy Harvin.

BuffaloRedleg
06-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Enjoy the wait.

What's to enjoy? This is awful. Plus I just got my first Bills Season Tickets for the move back to Buffalo. Can't wait any longer f^ck Summer.

Buffalogic
06-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Run after catch ability very similar to cordarelle patterson and he ripped it up last year with the ball in his hands. He was even getting carries, I wonder if we will try to incorporate hand-offs directly to Watkins since it worked so well in Minny last year.

BertSquirtgum
06-26-2014, 04:54 PM
I was told you make too many threads.

Mad Max
06-26-2014, 06:52 PM
How dare you question one of the voices in Skooby's cranium.

fixed

BillsImpossible
06-26-2014, 07:48 PM
I think scientists took DNA from Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas and combined them with Jerry Rice's genetic code to produce Sammy Watkins.

Skooby
06-26-2014, 08:23 PM
I think scientists took DNA from Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas and combined them with Jerry Rice's genetic code to produce Sammy Watkins.
Sprinkle a little OJ in there.

mightysimi
06-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Run after catch ability very similar to cordarelle patterson and he ripped it up last year with the ball in his hands. He was even getting carries, I wonder if we will try to incorporate hand-offs directly to Watkins since it worked so well in Minny last year.

I bet we at least see the little jet sweep the seahawks ran for Harvin in the Superbowl.

k-oneputt
06-27-2014, 11:57 AM
I bet we at least see the little jet sweep the seahawks ran for Harvin in the Superbowl.

You will.