PDA

View Full Version : Bills RB, Bryce Brown 2012-2013 Highlights & Stats

BillsImpossible
06-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Bryce Brown, 6'0 220 lbs, just turned 23 years old a little over a month ago.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/maJzY6tYzGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2013 Stats
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15092/bryce-brown

75 carries, 2 TD's, 4.2 yards per carry

2012 Stats
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/15092/year/2012/bryce-brown

115 carries, 4 TD's, 4.9 yards per carry

Why did the Eagles trade Bryce Brown to Buffalo?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/like-desean-jackson-jason-avant-couldnt-get-along-with-chip-kelly/

"...in Philadelphia, if you don’t do things exactly the way Chip Kelly wants, you get sent packing."

Thank you, Chip.

GingerP
06-28-2014, 04:41 PM
"...in Philadelphia, if you don’t do things exactly the way Chip Kelly wants, you get sent packing."

Thank you, Chip.

The Eagles has the 2nd-most yards and 4th-most points in the NFL last year, Kelly's first as an NFL HC. Say what you want about Chip, but the guy knows offense.

Night Train
06-28-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing him this summer. With Fred being 33 and Spiller in his contract year, he and Dixon being added is thinking a year ahead.

Homegrown
06-28-2014, 04:58 PM
He looks good.... On another note, I think my old high school team has better tackling skills than the Cowboys... Those guys were horrible

ICRockets
06-29-2014, 03:41 AM
He really looks like a mix of some of the best attributes of Freddy and CJ. Freddy's downhill running style, but considerably faster.

Fletch
06-29-2014, 01:18 PM
We must really be desperate here in Buffalo hoping on Brown like this.

This all seems to come down to 3 games of his in his two seasons. The Dallas and Carolina games in 2012 and the Chicago game in 2013. Carolina's rushing defense was very average in '12, Dallas' was below average, and in '13 Chicago's was dead last in the rankings.

Besides those three games Brown hasn't even been able to average more than 3.0 yards-per-carry. He's got one TD and hasn't done a lick in any other game of 29 other games.

Are you guys really thinking that he's going to do anything at all here besides take some carries to relieve Spiller? Is there really a basis for this? Even the most pathetic RBs have games like this, and who knows, Brown could very well be one of those pathetic RBs.

If Brown had gone to the Jets, Fins, or Pats we'd all be laughing about it. Putting any stock in Brown is foolish.

I mean really, the guy's had three good games against dicey or downright pathetic rush Ds and sucks otherwise and everyone's expecting something more here? Why? Even in those three games it was a few big plays that carried him. Sounds very much like a poor man's Spiller.

Fletch
06-29-2014, 01:20 PM
He really looks like a mix of some of the best attributes of Freddy and CJ. Freddy's downhill running style, but considerably faster.

He looked like a pretty average RB to me, if even that, just with a couple of good holes to run through.

Ginger Vitis
06-29-2014, 01:48 PM
Fletch sounds very Wysian... "take away a couple of those long gains" " Besides those 3 games "

BillsImpossible
06-29-2014, 01:57 PM
He's got one TD and hasn't done a lick in any other game of 29 other games.

Huh? Brown had 2 TD's last year. So did CJ Spiller.

Bryce Brown has 6 TD's in the last two seasons. CJ Spiller has 8 TD's in the last two seasons.

Brown had 2 TD's on 75 carries last year.

Spiller had 2 TD's on 202 carries last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/13203/year/2012/cj-spiller

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/13203/cj-spiller

Brown had 6 TD's on 190 carries in 2 seasons.

Spiller had 8 TD's on 409 carries in 2 seasons.

Spiller is overrated, and I don't think Doug Whaley would have drafted him if he had the final say instead of Buddy Nix.

BillsImpossible
06-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Spiller's rookie season produced 0 TD's.

Second season produced 4 TD's.

Third season produced 6 TD's.

4th season produced 2 TD's.

4 seasons, 12 TD's.

3 TD's per season average for a 1st round draft pick after 4 years?

$3.5 million plus a signing bonus for a 5.9 million cap hit?

Is Spiller worth $2 million per touchdown?

Fletch
06-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Huh? Brown had 2 TD's last year. So did CJ Spiller.

Bryce Brown has 6 TD's in the last two seasons. CJ Spiller has 8 TD's in the last two seasons.

Brown had 2 TD's on 75 carries last year.

Spiller had 2 TD's on 202 carries last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/13203/year/2012/cj-spiller

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/13203/cj-spiller

Brown had 6 TD's on 190 carries in 2 seasons.

Spiller had 8 TD's on 409 carries in 2 seasons.

Spiller is overrated, and I don't think Doug Whaley would have drafted him if he had the final say instead of Buddy Nix.

Brown had 4 TDs in two of the games that I mentioned and a fifth in the other. Not one of those teams had a good rushing defense.

In 29 other games he's rushed for 138 carries for 416 yards, had 1 TD, a yard-per-carry average of 3.0.

I guess you think that's good. That's fine. I disagree.

Chris Ivory's had a very comparable career on average in twice as many seasons, do you think the same of him? I hope not. There are many RBs that have posted similar overall numbers on the merits of a few games.

Bobby Rainey too, who tore us up last season. Do you say the same about him? Once again, I hope not.

It's no wonder that some fans' expectations are absurd heading into every season.

Fletch
06-29-2014, 02:18 PM
Fletch sounds very Wysian... "take away a couple of those long gains" " Besides those 3 games "

What's Wysian mean?

Fletch
06-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Spiller's rookie season produced 0 TD's.

Second season produced 4 TD's.

Third season produced 6 TD's.

4th season produced 2 TD's.

4 seasons, 12 TD's.

3 TD's per season average for a 1st round draft pick after 4 years?

$3.5 million plus a signing bonus for a 5.9 million cap hit?

Is Spiller worth $2 million per touchdown?

The bottom line on Spiller is that all anyone was saying about him was that he was a threat to take it to the house and score every time he touched the ball. I mean who really thinks that now? I expect a few big games out of him against crappy teams, but he rarely does much against good teams. If we can't beat teams that routinely miss the playoffs without Spiller in the lineup, as is the case, we have other serious issues.

BillsImpossible
06-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Brown had 4 TDs in two of the games that I mentioned and a fifth in the other. Not one of those teams had a good rushing defense.

Okay, let's apply that same logic in a reverse way to CJ Spiller's 2013 season.

The New England Patriots had the 30th ranked rushing defense in the NFL in 2013.

Spiller had a total of 36 rushing attempts for 146 yards and 0 TD's. The last game of the season was meaningless.

The Miami Dolphins had the 24th ranked rushing defense in 2013.

Spiller had a combined 27 attempts for 94 yards and 0 TD's against the fish.

Nothing special against BAD run defenses for CJ Spiller.

But what about the Jets? They were ranked 3rd in the NFL against the run.

In 2 games Spiller had 23 rushes for 15 yards, and 0 TD's.

3 division opponents, 0 TD's.

BillsImpossible
06-29-2014, 03:23 PM
In 2013 CJ Spiller had 0 TD's against the AFC East.

In 2012, he had 1 TD against the AFC East.

In 2011, he had 1 TD against the AFC East.

In 2010, he had 0 TD's against the AFC East.

Only 2 TD's in 4 seasons against the AFC East for CJ Spiller.

Bryce Brown has 3 TD's in 2 season against the NFC East.

Luisito23
06-29-2014, 03:58 PM
Spiller's been overrated...I really hope the Bills don't break the bank for him, because he's definitely not worth it.

BillsImpossible
06-29-2014, 04:23 PM
Against divisional opponents, CJ Spiller has rushed for 1,128 yards on 266 attempts over the last 4 years for a 4.2 yards per rush average and 2 TD's against the AFC East.

Against divisional opponents, Bryce Brown has rushed for 298 yards on 73 attempts over the last 2 years for a 4.1 yards per rush average and 3 TD's against the NFC East.

Fletch
06-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Against divisional opponents, CJ Spiller has rushed for 1,128 yards on 266 attempts over the last 4 years for a 4.2 yards per rush average and 2 TD's against the AFC East.

Against divisional opponents, Bryce Brown has rushed for 298 yards on 73 attempts over the last 2 years for a 4.1 yards per rush average and 3 TD's against the NFC East.

I'm not quite sure what your point was in your two posts prior to this one. Clarify if you'd like to discuss it.

As to this one, my points are primarily regarding Brown, the expectations for him this season are absurd. The bottom line is that he has never rushed well against a good rushing D and that even the worst RBs, I cited at least one, Chris Ivory, have done similar or in Ivory's case nearly a carbon copy of what Brown has done.

Brown was never a big rusher in college, he had only one notable season at a relevant school, didn't even have 500 rushing yards, had only one 100-yard game against W. Kentucky, a team that was 0-12 and allowed 244 rushing yards per game that year. He did nothing notable otherwise and didn't even come close to rushing for 100 yards in any other game in college. In Philly he was about the same with the exception of three games against poor rushing defenses in two seasons and 32 games.

I think that's what we need to look at before signing players like Brown with any kind of expectations. I don't think that the team's expectations are anywhere close to what some fans' expectations are.

So, we can either expect similar here, which makes sense, or we can talk ourselves into the notion that he's going to be doing something a whole lot more when it's never happened before and when the Bills really aren't the place where things like that happen in the NFL, are they. If anything players come here, sign for big money, and then underachieve. We can discuss why, but that's more the case than the other way around. Often then those players leave and do much better elsewhere, like Whitner, Lynch, maybe Stevie, or extend their careers at old age, like Fletcher.

We can call that negative, but hey, don't tell me, tell the front office. I didn't do it.

Spiller's a role-playing RB, that's all there is to it. Any RB that isn't a 3-down RB, and he's clearly not, can only be a role-player. Role-playing RBs aren't worth big money.

Was he supposed to be a role-player according to the team, many draft analysts, and some fans? No, he was supposed to be Jackson's heir apparent. That's obviously not going to happen.

Out of 590 rushing attempts, Spiller has 21 rushes for 57 yards and 1 TD on 3rd downs. That lone rushing TD came against the 2-14 Chiefs at home here in Buffalo in 2012 in a blowout win for us. Did we really need Spiller to win that game? I don't think that he has any 1st down runs on 3rd and long, which is supposed to be his specialty, busting long runs. Either way, that's an average of not even 3 yards per carry on 3rds.

He's useless on 3rd downs. Any RB that is useless on 3rd downs, that's got Spiller's "qualifications," isn't worth a lot of money. He's supposed to be the RB that can bust long plays on 3rd downs.

Even receiving where he's supposed to excel, on 3rd downs he has 28 receptions for 216 yards and 2 TDs. That's all we get on 3rd downs? One of those 2 TDs was in a blowout win over the 6-10 Jets, the other was in a loss to the Pats. That's the most critical down in the game, but Spiller gives us nothing.

HAMMER
06-30-2014, 03:02 PM
I believe that BB is going to be a very good back. I believe that it is VERY possble that Freddy does not make the cut this year and BB and Dixon are kept. Just my .02, I know I will get flamed to high hell for this. Freddy is a favorite of mine but reality is going to set in this training camp and his diminshed speed is going to be evident and the difference.

Fletch
06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
I believe that BB is going to be a very good back. I believe that it is VERY possble that Freddy does not make the cut this year and BB and Dixon are kept. Just my .02, I know I will get flamed to high hell for this. Freddy is a favorite of mine but reality is going to set in this training camp and his diminshed speed is going to be evident and the difference.

Well that's fine, you can believe anything you want, I'm just saying that there's no more basis for it than the Jets believing that Chris Ivory is going to be anything special, as merely one instance.

I can say in "talk is cheap" fashion that I believe Chris Hogan to explode this season and post 1,200 yards and 10 TDs, so what, what would that be based on? Nothing. I could say it's because he's got good size, slightly bigger than Watkins, runs routes well, and even throw some other stuff in there that's at least partially true, but it wouldn't mean much.

In fact just about everyone would laugh at that, but there's no more basis for expecting Brown to be anything other than a role-playing backup, to whom? Spiller, who's a role-playing RB too? Dixon ain't doing anything this season, he's a FB. If Jackson can't do it then we're in trouble for a 3-down RB. Poor planning, once again, on our FO's part.

All I'm saying is that those telling us that they believe that something is going to happen to lay out the basis for it besides simply that some coach or former coach or someone else said so.

It's a fact that Brown hasn't done much with the Eagles and didn't do anything at all significant in college. So why is that now going to change out of the blue? It's not going to be because x-number of people believe it, it's going to be because he does something different than what he's been doing. If we just give him the ball more, what can we expect? Seems to me that we can expect maybe two or three good games from him against bad rushing defenses the likes of which we really shouldn't need him to beat them, but pretty pedestrian games in the other 12 or 13 games, that's what he's offered to date. He's not automatically going to get better because he's on the Bills, if anything it usually works the other way here.

If it all simply came down to the fact that we all believed that it would then we wouldn't be arguing amongst each other as we do over to what extent we suck.

Fletch
06-30-2014, 04:55 PM
By the way, in predeclaring Brown some kind of preliminary successor to Jackson, has anyone thinking that to be the case even bothered looking at some of his splits?

I just noticed that on 3rd downs he has 23 carries for 34 yards and 0 TDs. That's not even a yard-and-a-half a carry. He's 6 carries for 6 yards on 3rd's and 9 or more. He's 2 carries for 4 yards on 3rd's and 3-8. Does he even have one 1st down there? Doesn't seem like it.

Everyone's talking about Brown replacing Jackson, I just want to know who's going to be the 3rd-down RB if Jackson gets hurt or cut?

Between Spiller and Brown both suck and are worthless on 3rd downs.

Woodman
06-30-2014, 07:57 PM
:rofl:

:thurm2:

Fletch
07-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Not sure I see anything too funny about it.

starrymessenger
07-01-2014, 08:16 AM
I expect Spiller to break out and have a monster year.
Big payday comin up would be the reason.
if he wants money nows the time. Make or break.

Night Train
07-01-2014, 08:36 AM
I just want to know who's going to be the 3rd-down RB if Jackson gets hurt or cut?

The guy they signed from the 49ers, Dixon. That's what they are saying as of now. Time will tell.

Woodman
07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
starrymessenger gets it.

Night Train gets it.

I get it.

Flush not so much.

Fletch
07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
The guy they signed from the 49ers, Dixon. That's what they are saying as of now. Time will tell.

Did you actually look at who Dixon is, or did you just listen to people here and other people in the media that don't know what they're talking about?

Sometimes I think that people here just talk without doing any of their own homework.

Dixon is a FB, he's a short-yardage RB, that's it. He's averaged 3.1 yards-per-carry in four seasons there. I mean why not just say that Ronnie Wingo is the one that's going to light up defenses this season? It might make more sense.

Dixon also isn't good on 3rd-downs, averaging about 2 ypc. On 3rd and 3-8 he's 6 carries for 16 yards with one of those having been a 10-yard run. He's 2 for 5 yards on 3rd-and-9+. He got worse as time went on and got used less in SF.

Now I realize that he's going to turn into Terrell Davis here in Buffalo, but bear with those of us that don't quite see that happening until it does. Seriously, Ronnie Wingo has a better chance of breaking out like that.

The fact is that after Jackson we don't have a 3-down RB on the roster.

- - - Updated - - -

I expect Spiller to break out and have a monster year.
Big payday comin up would be the reason.
if he wants money nows the time. Make or break.

Everyone expected that last year and in his second season too. What is your expectation based on?

Fletch
07-01-2014, 05:48 PM
starrymessenger gets it.

Night Train gets it.

I get it.

Flush not so much.

LOL

We'll see who gets it and who doesn't. I'll bookmark the thread and we'll revisit this later in the season.

starrymessenger
07-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Did you actually look at who Dixon is, or did you just listen to people here and other people in the media that don't know what they're talking about?

Sometimes I think that people here just talk without doing any of their own homework.

Dixon is a FB, he's a short-yardage RB, that's it. He's averaged 3.1 yards-per-carry in four seasons there. I mean why not just say that Ronnie Wingo is the one that's going to light up defenses this season? It might make more sense.

Dixon also isn't good on 3rd-downs, averaging about 2 ypc. On 3rd and 3-8 he's 6 carries for 16 yards with one of those having been a 10-yard run. He's 2 for 5 yards on 3rd-and-9+. He got worse as time went on and got used less in SF.

Now I realize that he's going to turn into Terrell Davis here in Buffalo, but bear with those of us that don't quite see that happening until it does. Seriously, Ronnie Wingo has a better chance of breaking out like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone expected that last year and in his second season too. What is your expectation based on?

Fans often have big, not to say unrealistic expectations.
Those who expected CJ Spiller to be Adrian Peterson were bound for a let down.
CJ is here because Chan wanted his water bug, and Chan actually had a clue how to use him, unlike our OC last year.
Obviously how a player performs is not entirely up to him. He must be a good fit relative to what he is expected to do in the teams offensive scheme, he has to play without debilitating injury etc...
And I am not suggesting that CJ has been in any way a slacker. I am sure he is a gamer and a competitive guy.
But I do think that being at a crossroad in his career in terms of what he can expect football to do for him financially will serve as a huge motivation. That in itself would mean little unless I also thought that he had the wherewithal to be a game changing weapon, which I continue to believe he does.

gr8slayer
07-05-2014, 06:42 PM
He's a good RB, just needs to hang onto the ball.

Fletch
07-05-2014, 07:17 PM
He's a good RB, just needs to hang onto the ball.

He's a role playing RB, not a 3-down RB. That tells us quite a bit.

stuckincincy
07-05-2014, 07:41 PM
He's a role playing RB, not a 3-down RB. That tells us quite a bit.

He was the last RB standing in a crowded (zany) offensive scheme. The trade for him was a conditional 2015 fourth-round pick that can become a 2016 third-round pick, and a swap of 2014 7th round positions.

That tells me that both clubs saw potential in him. Not every trade is a steal, or a con job. Sometimes club A has a potential asset that club B needs, so a fair deal is reached.

better days
07-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Looking at the video, the thing that stands out most to me are the holes the Eagles OL was opening up.

Brown hit those holes hard & had some nice runs.

If the Bills revamped OL can open holes like the holes on the video, the Bills are going to rack up some yards on the ground.

HAMMER
07-11-2014, 12:25 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000364522/article/report-bills-want-bryce-brown-to-grow-into-lead-back

Meathead
07-11-2014, 05:14 PM
What's Wysian mean?

classic old school poster from way back. one of those guys thats super annoying online but super cool to hang out with in person (like another mega handsome poster in this thread). liked to use the 'if you take out his best games he was only average' logic

better days
07-12-2014, 08:29 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Fred will not get cut. If he gets injured, expect Spiller to get more carries.

Dixon will be the 3rd & short yardage back especially in the redzone.