PDA

View Full Version : Full blown tanking is set for next season, how long until we're competitive ?

Skooby
06-30-2014, 02:33 PM
We dumped anybody with a mild amount of NHL talent, so I'd expect a good thrashing most nights with a few miracle wins sprinkled in for odd measure. Call up some of the young guns when we're well out of it & get them a taste of the action, for the 2015-16 season. It's going to be a while now........ snooze.

How long until we're competitive again ??

JATMtheJATM
06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Define competitive. To me, competitive is competing for the playoffs, not necessarily making it. 16-17 I think theyll compete. They'll be a dangerous team 17-18 I believe.

SkateZilla
06-30-2014, 03:29 PM
2016 at the earliest.

The King
06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
I say it's 5-6 years before the win a playoff series. That's what I define as a turn-around. Making the playoffs isn't much of an achievement.

THATHURMANATOR
06-30-2014, 03:44 PM
I feel like about 3 years. Next year they will suck.

In two years they will be better but probably still crappy. In 3 years depending on how the draft falls we could be very good.

denverboz
06-30-2014, 04:24 PM
Only took the Avs one year to go from worst in.the league to 1st in.their division. Of course they already had a lot of young talent, a pretty damn good goalie, only made better by having Roy's old coach coaching him, and than.there's Roy himself, winning the Jack Adams award his first year coaching in.the NHL.I also.really think Roy really knew how to bring out the best in his young team, having coached in the minors and winning a championship there. Having Sakic in the front office didn't hurt neither. And let's not forget their rookie phenom, Nathan MacKinnon, a kid many are comparing to Sidney Crosby. And if Tyson Barrie hadn't been taken out by a dirty knee to knee hit in their series against MN, I really think they could have gone to the finals. Losing Barrie, probably the best offensive defenseman in the league just crushed them.

p

Skooby
06-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Only took the Avs one year to go from worst in.the league to 1st in.their division. Of course they already had a lot of young talent, a pretty damn good goalie, only made better by having Roy's old coach coaching him, and than.there's Roy himself, winning the Jack Adams award his first year coaching in.the NHL.I also.really think Roy really knew how to bring out the best in his young team, having coached in the minors and winning a championship there. Having Sakic in the front office didn't hurt neither. And let's not forget their rookie phenom, Nathan MacKinnon, a kid many are comparing to Sidney Crosby. And if Tyson Barrie hadn't been taken out by a dirty knee to knee hit in their series against MN, I really think they could have gone to the finals. Losing Barrie, probably the best offensive defenseman in the league just crushed them.

p

What percentage of their starting roster changed year over year ?

denverboz
06-30-2014, 05:33 PM
What percentage of their starting roster changed year over year ?

Don't think it was very high, pretty much had their core players last couple seasons.guessing here, maybe about 15 per cent, but like I said, just guessing there.

Dr. Lecter
06-30-2014, 05:44 PM
They can be competitive in 3 years. Add in McDavid or Eichel next year with the prospects they already have and they can be playoff contenders in a few years and maybe win a series

Skooby
06-30-2014, 06:26 PM
They can be competitive in 3 years. Add in McDavid or Eichel next year with the prospects they already have and they can be playoff contenders in a few years and maybe win a series

I think this is the case as well.

casdhf
06-30-2014, 06:34 PM
Any big UFA next season? We could expedite after a good draft and a few big signings.

The Jokeman
06-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Any big UFA next season? We could expedite after a good draft and a few big signings.

Patrick Kane and Jonathan Towes might be available pending what the Blackhawks do. Bobby Ryan could be available but not sure the Senators would let him walk if Spezza gets traded.

OpIv37
06-30-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm thinking three years

14-15 complete waste
15-16 outside chance at an 8 seed but not likely
16-17 make the playoffs, outside chance of getting out of the first round

Mace
06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
I went competitive 1-2 years. Contending, I sure dunno. For now I'll be happy imagining who they might become with a bunch of talented prospects. I can see myself enjoying hockey again to see what becomes of them. I'm really feeling good that Tim Murray knows what he's doing. Might be wrong sure, but not like that hasn't happened to me being a Buffalo sports fan last couple decades.

doug45
06-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Maybe 2020-2021 but not with these tactics. This is not a wild thing to say the Bills are going on 13 years of "REBUILDING"!

REBUILDING----"What a team says when they can't make it work."

JATMtheJATM
06-30-2014, 11:30 PM
jesus christ, who let the debbie downer in here?

Skooby
07-01-2014, 04:32 AM
jesus christ, who let the debbie downer in here?

Their bridge is having roadwork done.

Dude
07-01-2014, 06:24 AM
I think a lot of people will be shocked at how quickly Tim Murray is able to undo years of Darcy's **** ups.