PDA

View Full Version : Did we do too much?

casdhf
07-02-2014, 06:04 AM
I mean. What if we don't suck

don137
07-02-2014, 06:45 AM
They had 52 points with Miller, Vanek/Moulson and Ott. While I do expect the younger guys to get better I don't think they did enough to get them out of last place. The one team that scares me is Calgary. They are going to be bad. Edmonton addressed some of their defensive needs.
One thing I am relieved of is Islanders did not make any splashes in free agency. I didn't see them do anything to improve enough to make themselves a playoff team.

OpIv37
07-02-2014, 07:45 AM
What if we do suck? It's a lottery system and we aren't guaranteed #1 overall anyway.

The NHL isn't going to let us get McDavid anyway.

Also I don't think we have to worry about not sucking. Just think back to how many wins Miller stole for us over the last 4 years, when the rest of the team played like **** and had no business getting a win. Enroth and Neuvrith aren't bad but they can't do that.

I would have liked to get Ott back, but Murray made it sound like it was between him and Moulson and Moulson provides more sorely-needed offense.

I'm happy with the way things went. It's still going to be a rough year but that's nothing we didnt already know.

Ginger Vitis
07-02-2014, 08:22 AM
What OP said the goaltending is way too pedestrian for this team not to finish bottom 3 at least.. But I find it rather amusing the talk on this board of if they don't get McDavid next year it would be catastrophic.. Far from it IMO picking anywhere in the Top 4 next year guarantees the Sabres a elite prospect

gebobs
07-02-2014, 08:30 AM

I've been told that the NHL wants to promote hometown playership. Buffalo is central to his adopted team Erie and his hometown Newmarket, so Buffalo is sort of his gravitational center. And he'll have the perfect mentor when the Sabres sign Patrick Kane next July 1. Kane can teach the kid all the finer points of taxicab etiquette.

coastal
07-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Hockey Mecca.

tampabay25690
07-02-2014, 08:52 AM
They had 52 points with Miller, Vanek/Moulson and Ott. While I do expect the younger guys to get better I don't think they did enough to get them out of last place. The one team that scares me is Calgary. They are going to be bad. Edmonton addressed some of their defensive needs.
One thing I am relieved of is Islanders did not make any splashes in free agency. I didn't see them do anything to improve enough to make themselves a playoff team.

They also started with a ****ty GM and a ****TY coach.....
Ted will have them ready to play so they will be better then last year. How much we don't know yet.

tampabay25690
07-02-2014, 08:55 AM
What if we do suck? It's a lottery system and we aren't guaranteed #1 overall anyway.

Also I don't think we have to worry about not sucking. Just think back to how many wins Miller stole for us over the last 4 years, when the rest of the team played like **** and had no business getting a win. Enroth and Neuvrith aren't bad but they can't do that.

I would have liked to get Ott back, but Murray made it sound like it was between him and Moulson and Moulson provides more sorely-needed offense.

I'm happy with the way things went. It's still going to be a rough year but that's nothing we didnt already know.

I like the positive post.........
Yes I luv the way things went yesterday. Different then what I was told but happy Gionta came to Buffalo.
OTT was a done deal the nite prior then GIONTA and his agent got in the mix.
They are still far from done. Look for some possible trades..

don137
07-02-2014, 09:27 AM

I am going in thinking Eichel is our guy. We most likely will have a 19% chance plus Islanders chances to land McDavid and the remaining amount is Eichel is the guy. Thus I am going to pay more attention to Eichel since it is highly likely he will be suiting up for Sabres in 2015.

gebobs
07-02-2014, 09:56 AM
I am going in thinking Eichel is our guy. We most likely will have a 19% chance plus Islanders chances to land McDavid and the remaining amount is Eichel is the guy. Thus I am going to pay more attention to Eichel since it is highly likely he will be suiting up for Sabres in 2015.
Not if he goes to BU.

SkateZilla
07-02-2014, 10:07 AM

We dont have to suck parsey, we have 2 picks from other teams in the first round, they can suck and we can still have a shot at McDavid or Echy.

The players looked lathargic most of last year, like they spend the entire off season drinking and partying with no training.

rbochan
07-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Seven years ago was the worst July 1st in franchise history.

Yesterday saw that completely turn around.

don137
07-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Not if he goes to BU.
True but doubt that will happen.
He missed the cutoff for this draft by one month so he is off to BU. Doubt he plays more than one year there.

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2014, 11:08 AM
They will still be a bottom three team. They still are sorely lacking on offense. Goaltending is now a big question. Defense is maybe a little better, at least in their own zone.

Really, getting up to about 65-70 points will be a major accomplishment.

But the Islanders could be worse.

OpIv37
07-02-2014, 11:31 AM
I've been told that the NHL wants to promote hometown playership. Buffalo is central to his adopted team Erie and his hometown Newmarket, so Buffalo is sort of his gravitational center. And he'll have the perfect mentor when the Sabres sign Patrick Kane next July 1. Kane can teach the kid all the finer points of taxicab etiquette.

Hockey's always been local/regional. It dates back to the days when the Original 6 teams had rights to all the players in their region, and even though that's long gone, hockey is hugely popular in some parts of the country and non-existent in others, so that fuels the regionalism.

That being said, the NHL is going to do whatever makes them the most money. The Sabres have struggled on the ice, but they aren't struggling to put asses in seats. TV rankings for the playoffs are higher in Buffalo than most cities even when the Sabres are mathematically eliminated in February. Meanwhile, hockey fans are much more fickle in other places like Pheonix, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, even DC.

Now, will any of those teams be bad enough for the league to hand them the #1 overall without it being obvious bull****? I don't know, but it any of them are in the top 5, we are screwed.

I could even see them trying to re-ignite a frustrated fan base by giving it to the Islanders... Oh, wait. :)

SpikedLemonade
07-02-2014, 12:54 PM
I mean. What if we don't suck

The City of Losers.

Pierre said last night that he thinks the Sabres can make the play-offs this year.

coastal
07-02-2014, 01:03 PM
The City of Losers.

Pierre said last night that he thinks the Sabres can make the play-offs this year.
You will be there for the Cup parade... so will I.

and it will be fantastic!

SpikedLemonade
07-02-2014, 03:43 PM
You will be there for the Cup parade... so will I.

and it will be fantastic!

If I'm departed, I give Tom and you permission to dig me up and bring me along.

All I ask is that you don't pass my skull around so my eye sockets are violated.

Downinfloflo
07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Hockey's always been local/regional. It dates back to the days when the Original 6 teams had rights to all the players in their region, and even though that's long gone, hockey is hugely popular in some parts of the country and non-existent in others, so that fuels the regionalism.

That being said, the NHL is going to do whatever makes them the most money. The Sabres have struggled on the ice, but they aren't struggling to put asses in seats. TV rankings for the playoffs are higher in Buffalo than most cities even when the Sabres are mathematically eliminated in February. Meanwhile, hockey fans are much more fickle in other places like Pheonix, Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, even DC.

Now, will any of those teams be bad enough for the league to hand them the #1 overall without it being obvious bull****? I don't know, but it any of them are in the top 5, we are screwed.

I could even see them trying to re-ignite a frustrated fan base by giving it to the Islanders... Oh, wait. :)

It's to early for all that, The Sabres fans are just getting into their decade of suck.

Let's revisit this after the Sabres get beat up for a few solid years in a row.

The fans came to see guys like Vanek and Miller.

gebobs
07-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Troll.

SpikedLemonade
07-02-2014, 04:00 PM
It's to early for all that, The Sabres fans are just getting into their decade of suck.

Let's revisit this after the Sabres get beat up for a few solid years in a row.

The fans came to see guys like Vanek and Miller.

The Sabres fans apparently are the most loyal in the world except when they can make a quick buck by selling their tickets to visiting Leaf fans.

I have never seen that to the extent it happens in Buffalo for Leaf games.

Downinfloflo
07-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Troll.

Blind loyalist.

gebobs
07-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Blind loyalist.

Sucks looking in the mirror, don't it?

Downinfloflo
07-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Sucks looking in the mirror, don't it?

Maybe for you.

gebobs
07-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Maybe for you.

Oh, you're not a blind loyalist? Fine. You're still a troll.

Downinfloflo
07-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Oh, you're not a blind loyalist? Fine. You're still a troll.

You don't want to be uncomfortable.

Just like a few posters here, You will do anything to feel good.

JATMtheJATM
07-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Or we don't believe your "decade of doom" claims

Skooby
07-02-2014, 07:10 PM

Yeah, that made me add an option for my poll.

Downinfloflo
07-02-2014, 07:38 PM

You also said I was crazy for mentioning Erhoff as a buy out...

gebobs
07-02-2014, 07:43 PM
You don't want to be uncomfortable.

Just like a few posters here, You will do anything to feel good.
Uncomfortable about what? After last season, these last few days have been like a long weekend at the beach after pulling doubles for three weeks straight mucking grease bins at KFC.

JATMtheJATM
07-02-2014, 08:41 PM
You also said I was crazy for mentioning Erhoff as a buy out...

And you said no teams want ehrhoff due to them paying the recapture. And Pittsburgh being terrible from 98 to 07.

BertSquirtgum
07-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Wasn't sure about Tim Murray as the GM but I like what's going on so far.

Downinfloflo
07-03-2014, 12:17 AM
And you said no teams want ehrhoff due to them paying the recapture. And Pittsburgh being terrible from 98 to 07.

That's not what I said.

The Sabres **** themselves over the recapture penalty, You had no idea what the penalty would even be wile trying to talk about it.

This fan base really does deserve the team that's on the ice.

JATMtheJATM
07-03-2014, 12:35 AM
That's not what I said.

The Sabres **** themselves over the recapture penalty, You had no idea what the penalty would even be wile trying to talk about it.

no, that is what you said:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/224205-NHL-2014-summer-activity?p=3958679&viewfull=1#post3958679

"anyone who trades for him has the threat of a recapture penalty hanging over their heads."

at least i can admit when i am wrong.

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2014, 04:43 AM
That's not what I said.

The recapture penalty did not exist when they signed the contract

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2014, 04:44 AM
Yeah - the recapture penalty only exists for the team originally signing the deal. Not for a team that trades for a player

swiper
07-03-2014, 05:28 AM
Wasn't sure about Tim Murray as the GM but I like what's going on so far.

Brian Gionta?

You sure about that?

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2014, 05:57 AM
Brian Gionta?

You sure about that?

Yes.

Not a lot of money.

Still had 18 goals last year. Can play defense.

Night Train
07-03-2014, 06:11 AM
I still expect very little and that's zero reflection on Murray and Nolan. They were left a bomb crater when taking over.

Aquisitions are more on ice coaches than answers to winning but they did more than I thought. No issues at all. We all know the score. The winning future is probably 2 years away.

Skooby
07-03-2014, 06:18 AM
Yes.

Not a lot of money.

Still had 18 goals last year. Can play defense.

We could of doubled our total goal count last season with that type of production.

OpIv37
07-03-2014, 07:10 AM
The Sabres fans apparently are the most loyal in the world except when they can make a quick buck by selling their tickets to visiting Leaf fans.

I have never seen that to the extent it happens in Buffalo for Leaf games.

Come to a Redskins game when the Steelers are in town....

But honestly, who's the moron in this situation? Leafs fans overpaying Sabres fans to drive two hours each way to see our ****ty team play their ****ty team...

Dr. Lecter
07-03-2014, 07:13 AM
Actually, as a season ticket holder who can't go to all games (even splitting with Chern), Leafs games are hard to sell. Some of the hardest games to sell.

Many Sabres fans sell tickets to a lot of games. The reason there are Leafs fan buying the leafs games is because there are Leafs fans in the area. Sabres fans really don't sell those tickets more than any others - it is just that the customer base is different.

Sorry to get all facty here.

trapezeus
07-03-2014, 11:03 AM
i have no issues with the sabres plan to suck next year and do enough to keep the kids learning on what being a pro is. that is what we are asking for gionta. his contract will roll off presumably when we don't need him. if you didn't have a couple vets like that, its easy for youth to just say, "this is too hard, it's never happening".

The sabres previous attempts at getting good were "lets' slide into 8-5th place and see if we are hot at the right time. otherwise, let's price the games cheaply and see if we can turn a buck.

the current idea has a lot of risk and it may not turn out. but i'd rather fail big to get big results than to continuously fail trying to be a low seed that surprises people.

those are the two options we have today and i'm willing to:
1. see if the new method works
2. if it doesn't live with the methodology rebuilding again.

nothing about what they did on july 1st seems like it was overkill. they needed to get to the floor and they didn't sign mega long term deals. unlike the isle who are signing anyone they can to simply not hand the sabres a top 5 pick. which strategy would you rather be a fan of. Build for long term and hopefully get it right, or sign people to have a mediocre team so you don't hand a top 5 pick to a competitor?

The Jokeman
07-03-2014, 07:08 PM
I think the Sabres moves will definitely help in the locker room but on the ice we might win a few of the closer games but don't think it's made us anything more then the 3rd or 4th worse team in the league on any given night. Yet as I heard on the Enforcers the other night the NHL's "lottery system" is seemingly corrupt and because the Sabres have a good fanbase and good ownership we probably won't be inline for McDavid but the Devils seem to be as they have dwindling attendance and likely losing the face of their franchise in UFA this season so it be no big shock if they "win" the top pick next year.

Ingtar33
07-06-2014, 09:53 AM

I agree... we might have the top 2 chances to get him with the islanders and our pick, and somehow the red wings or maple leafs or someone will pull a ewing/knicks and land him. just you wait and see.

JATMtheJATM
07-06-2014, 11:42 AM
for what its worth, the bleacher report gave our july 1 a C+ adding that while the sabres made a few good moves, lots of work is left, which we all know. the sabres got better, but not better to get us out of a top 3 pick. but hey, at least they got better without giving up major assets and derailing from the rebuild. do it the right way, and the sabres are.

trapezeus
07-07-2014, 07:59 AM
and they did it without dolling out huge and long term contracts. the worst ones that got us to the floor and were necessary now, will roll off when the team doesn't need those guys or needs to look elsewhere.

as for the corruption, i don't doubt that that is true. mcdavid as a devil seems so freaking boring to me. the devils made their name by being boring, why make them exciting now? just because someone built a stadium in newark?

on the flipside, buffalo is one of their better markets, why not juice the stone a little more, let a dynasty build here. they've had good teams develop in lesser towns...i'm looking at you detroit and edmonton.

OpIv37
07-07-2014, 07:44 PM
for what its worth, the bleacher report gave our july 1 a C+ adding that while the sabres made a few good moves, lots of work is left, which we all know. the sabres got better, but not better to get us out of a top 3 pick. but hey, at least they got better without giving up major assets and derailing from the rebuild. do it the right way, and the sabres are.
What did they want us to do in order to get a better grade? We got some quality guys, got to the cap floor, and didn't sign anyone past 3 years so we have plenty of cap space to make moves.

No, they didn't improve nearly enough to be a playoff team, but even if they spent to the ceiling on all the top guys out there, they wouldn't be true cup contenders and it would mean salary cap hell in 3-4 years, if not sooner.

I guess I'm just curious as to what they Sabres would have had to do to get an A from them.

gebobs
07-07-2014, 10:59 PM
What did they want us to do in order to get a better grade? We got some quality guys, got to the cap floor, and didn't sign anyone past 3 years so we have plenty of cap space to make moves.

No, they didn't improve nearly enough to be a playoff team, but even if they spent to the ceiling on all the top guys out there, they wouldn't be true cup contenders and it would mean salary cap hell in 3-4 years, if not sooner.

I guess I'm just curious as to what they Sabres would have had to do to get an A from them.
Doing the bare minimum isn't going to get you an A. What gets you an A is positioning yourself for contention. C+ is probably the best they could have done. I have no problem with that grade or what the team did.

OpIv37
07-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Doing the bare minimum isn't going to get you an A. What gets you an A is positioning yourself for contention. C+ is probably the best they could have done. I have no problem with that grade or what the team did.

I have no problem with what the team did.

The problem I have with the grade is using "getting into contention" as the standard for getting an A. We were the worst team in the league last year by far. Nothing short of reversing Hasek's age by 15 years and Gretsky's by 25 and signing them would put us in true contention, and even that would be debatable. I think they need to consider the situation each team started in before coming out grades. JMO.

gebobs
07-08-2014, 08:59 AM
The problem I have with the grade is using "getting into contention" as the standard for getting an A. We were the worst team in the league last year by far. Nothing short of reversing Hasek's age by 15 years and Gretsky's by 25 and signing them would put us in true contention, and even that would be debatable. I think they need to consider the situation each team started in before coming out grades. JMO.
Just so. The Sabres had no chance of getting on anyone's radar for such an article. No one cares that the Sabres positioned themselves for another last place finish and did some deft cap management. Especially considering that both of those are due in large part to their naive exuberant feet-first jump into the market in '10. If nothing else, their free agency cred is bad. Not as bad as it was last year, but it's going to take time to get some of it back.

Obviously there are two sides to free agency. There's the splashy signings that propel a team into contention and there's the boring accountability side. I understand we can both appreciate the finer detail of what they did and what their limitations were, but think about it from the standpoint of a sports reporting site with an international audience. Do you honestly expect them to give us props for toeing the league minimum? That's like tipping a bartender for a weak drink just because he didn't spill it. :-)