PDA

View Full Version : Stiff-Arming Football Myths

FootballCEO
07-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Good afternoon Bills fans! We released a book yesterday entitled 'Stiff-Arming Football Myths' where we debunk 50 football myths

We're offering it in Paperback & PDF versions!

As always, I really appreciate the support you guys show FBGP

http://www.footballgameplan.com/books

Here's a list of the myths we debunk

1. “NFL Players Should Take Less Money to Help the Team Win”
2. “You Have to Have a Franchise QB to Win a Super Bowl”
3. “Running Up the Score”
4. “The Sophomore Slump”
5. “The SEC Produces the Best NFL Players”
6. “Defense Wins Championships”
7. “High Bench Press = Strong Football Player”
8. “Best Football Players in the World are in the NFL”
9. “Coaching with a Great Head Coach makes a Great Head Coach”
10. “Only Impact Players are Taken in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft”
11. “A NFL Coach is more valuable than a college football coach”
12. “Draft Analysts are Experts”
13. “QBs have to play under center in order to be successful”
14. “High School Star Ratings Matter”
15. “The RB position is Devalued”
16. “You become better by sitting and learning for a year”
17. “You have to run to set up the pass”
18. “The System makes the player”
19. “40-yard Dash time is very important”
20. “Bigger WRs are better in the Red Zone”
21. “Playing Home/Away Matters”
22. “Wonderlic Scores Determine Performance”
23. “Success in College doesn’t translate to the Pros”
24. “Having a Strong Locker Room wins Titles”
25. “Slot WRs have to be Small & Quick”
26. “Team History has an Influence on the Upcoming Game”
27. “Small RBs can’t carry the load”
28. “Book Smarts = Football Smarts”
29. “QBs with Average Arm Strength can’t play outdoors”
30. “Running QBs & Scrambling QBs are the same”
31. “Height at the QB position is very important”
32. “Good players can make average players better”
33. “Football is very technical and complicated”
34. “Small School = Lack of Competition”
35. “Players from Warm Weather can’t play in the Cold”
36. “The Combine & Pro Days Matter”
37. “You Develop as a Pro”
38. “Defensive Backs under 6’0 are at a huge disadvantage”
39. “Undersized College DEs must move to OLB”
40. “The NFL Draft is an Inexact Science”
41. “Change of Pace Back”
42. “Lack of Pro Success Should deter you from drafting from that college”
43. “Mediocre Offensive Tackles can move to Guard”
44. “Bigger, Stronger, Faster players are what’s causing Injuries”
45. “Scouts and Recruiting Analysts know about Every prospect”
46. “Big DBs have to play Safety; Smaller DBs have to play Cornerback”
47. “Football Isn’t Big Outside of the United States”
48. “Football Jargon = Football Knowledge”
49. “Size Determines Injury”
50. “Tim Tebow Can’t Play Quarterback”
*Bonus* - “Player Personality Matters”

IlluminatusUIUC
07-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Will there be a kindle edition?

Dr. Lecter
07-02-2014, 01:19 PM
#50 is not a myth.

FootballCEO
07-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Will there be a kindle edition?

Unfortunately, we don't have Kindle edition..but we do have the PDF for 5.99

- - - Updated - - -

#50 is not a myth.

I think I made a great case in the book to debunk that one! :)

The King
07-02-2014, 01:31 PM
I think I made a great case in the book to debunk that one! :)

Maybe share with us some of your thoughts on one or two of these as a teaser?

GingerP
07-02-2014, 02:09 PM
#50 is not a myth.

He didn't say at what level. Tebow was a great college QB.

Homegrown
07-02-2014, 02:20 PM
If you can debunk #51 "God hates the Bills"... I'll buy

Night Train
07-02-2014, 02:28 PM
What about " Only the current regime should be analyzed ", rather than talking about Jauron, Mularkey, Greggo and other long gone leaders and players.

FootballCEO
07-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Maybe share with us some of your thoughts on one or two of these as a teaser?

Fair enough! I look at Tebow and think…hmmm.. If he had success in the Spread at the HS, College and at the Pro level (when Denver converted), why would I try to make him a West Coast QB? That Broncos team would've finished 1-15 if Tebow was 'that' bad

What about " Only the current regime should be analyzed ", rather than talking about Jauron, Mularkey, Greggo and other long gone leaders and players.

You have a great point here…sometimes, it's one regime that puts the next regime in a bad spot.

If you can debunk #51 "God hates the Bills"... I'll buy

Easy. He gave you guys a litany of Hall-of-Famers and guys that SHOULD be in the hall of fame. Unlike my New Orleans Saints :(

TigerJ
07-06-2014, 10:13 PM
For what it's worth he's my opinion on all 50.

1. “NFL Players Should Take Less Money to Help the Team Win” It's up to the individual player to do what he wants to do.

2. “You Have to Have a Franchise QB to Win a Super Bowl” It's certainly been done w/o a franchise QB. It's questionable if Russell Wilson is one. It makes it easier if you do have one though.

3. “Running Up the Score” If you're so bad the other team can win a lopsided victory, that's your problem.

4. “The Sophomore Slump” Certainly not a given.

5. “The SEC Produces the Best NFL Players” The SEC produces lots of NFL players, but great ones can come from lots of places.

6. “Defense Wins Championships” Defense helps win championships. Great offense and special teams do too.

7. “High Bench Press = Strong Football Player” Leif Larson

8. “Best Football Players in the World are in the NFL” Most are, unless you're talking futbol.

9. “Coaching with a Great Head Coach makes a Great Head Coach” If you've got the right stuff to begin with, it doesn't hurt.

10. “Only Impact Players are Taken in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft” Hard to argue that a right tackle is an impact player. Busts get drafted in round one too.

11. “A NFL Coach is more valuable than a college football coach” Because of higher turnover, college coaches have far more impact.

12. “Draft Analysts are Experts” Does anybody actually believe this?

13. “QBs have to play under center in order to be successful” Only if the system/coach requires them to line up under center. Versatility is never a bad thing, however.

14. “High School Star Ratings Matter” Only in college recruiting.

15. “The RB position is Devalued” Looking at draft results, something has happened to the way RBs are seen.

16. “You become better by sitting and learning for a year” Aaron Rodgers thinks so. I think it depends on the player and circumstances.

17. “You have to run to set up the pass” No. You can though.

18. “The System makes the player” Tim Tebow

19. “40-yard Dash time is very important” A bit moreso for some positions than others, but no more important than a bunch of other metrics.

20. “Bigger WRs are better in the Red Zone” If you're not big, it helps to be quick.

21. “Playing Home/Away Matters” Seems to matter to some teams sometimes.

22. “Wonderlic Scores Determine Performance” I don't think the Wonderlic is totally irrelevant, but a high Wonderlic score does not guarantee success, nor does a low score prohibit success.

23. “Success in College doesn’t translate to the Pros” Success in college doesn't hurt, but like the Wonderlic, college success does not guarantee pro success, nor does the lack of college team success prohibit pro success.

24. “Having a Strong Locker Room wins Titles” Doesn't hurt, but doesn't guarantee titles. The lack thereof does not prohibit a title. It's better to have one than not.

25. “Slot WRs have to be Small & Quick” No.

26. “Team History has an Influence on the Upcoming Game” Never believed that.

27. “Small RBs can’t carry the load” Big or small you're better off with depth.

28. “Book Smarts = Football Smarts” No.

29. “QBs with Average Arm Strength can’t play outdoors” QBs w. ave. arm strength can't do some things stronger QBs can.

30. “Running QBs & Scrambling QBs are the same” No.

31. “Height at the QB position is very important” Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are proving shorter QBs can succeed, but I'm not ready to say height is irrelevant.

32. “Good players can make average players better” Good players can enable average players to have more success.

33. “Football is very technical and complicated” I think there are complexities to it.

34. “Small School = Lack of Competition” Of course there is competition at small schools, but at different level.

35. “Players from Warm Weather can’t play in the Cold” Lot's of them do.

36. “The Combine & Pro Days Matter” They matter to somebody.

37. “You Develop as a Pro” I think so.

38. “Defensive Backs under 6’0 are at a huge disadvantage” I think in certain situations they're disadvantaged.

39. “Undersized College DEs must move to OLB” Many do get moved. The question is "how undersized?" and "what scheme is being employed at the pro level?

40. “The NFL Draft is an Inexact Science” Well, it's certainly prone to error.

41. “Change of Pace Back” Defenses are probably not really caught off guard, but some backs certainly do some things better than other backs.

42. “Lack of Pro Success Should deter you from drafting from that college” No. Always evaluate every player on his own merit.

43. “Mediocre Offensive Tackles can move to Guard” Tackles with certain limitations can move inside, but they can't just be mediocre. They have to be good at something.

44. “Bigger, Stronger, Faster players are what’s causing Injuries” I'd have to give this some thought.

45. “Scouts and Recruiting Analysts know about Every prospect” I suspect some teams are more thorough than others, but some players are probably missed by some personnel staffs.

46. “Big DBs have to play Safety; Smaller DBs have to play Cornerback” Not always.

47. “Football Isn’t Big Outside of the United States” I haven't paid much attention. There is the CFL.

48. “Football Jargon = Football Knowledge” Certainly not the same. I freely admit the limits of my knowledge.

49. “Size Determines Injury” No.

50. “Tim Tebow Can’t Play Quarterback” The system makes the player.

*Bonus* - “Player Personality Matters” Only in interviews with broadcast media.

kishoph
07-07-2014, 04:25 AM
If #8 isn't true, where are the best football players in the world playing ?

gebobs
07-07-2014, 09:28 AM
“Defense Wins Championships” is something of an anachronism in today's game. Of the last 10 champions, only five ranked in the top 5 and the rest ranked as high as #12 and as low as #28. The average ranking was #11.

“Best Football Players in the World are in the NFL”...where else would they be? The CFL?

“You Have to Have a Franchise QB to Win a Super Bowl”Obviously not necessary but it's a good rule of thumb given one can agree on who fits that bill. You have to go back to '03 to find a QB that runs counter to that.

“Wonderlic Scores Determine Performance” That's amazing! Amazing that anyone ever would even think that. It's like saying that SAT scores are a factor in the Miss America pageant.

Lots of luck with your book.

DynaPaul
07-07-2014, 10:44 AM
#52 - The Patriots were only doing what everyone else but just got caught and those tapes that were destroyed meant nothing.