PDA

View Full Version : Dareus rejects plea deal on alleged street racing crash

stuckincincy
07-04-2014, 11:29 AM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/sports/buffalo-bills-dt-marcell-dareus-declines-to-accept-plea-deal-on-accident-charges-1.1188879

I wonder what the status of his felony drug charges is?

Skooby
07-04-2014, 01:00 PM
He's in a program that takes care of the felony charges but this crash incident has to get resolved. Reckless driving is a little steep for crashing your own car & not hurting anyone.

Goobylal
07-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Reckless driving is a moving violation, albeit it a major one and Goodell can't suspend him over that (while the Alabama charges should be expunged after he completes his PTI). I can only surmise that they want him to surrender his license and that's why he didn't accept it.

GingerP
07-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Reckless driving is a moving violation, albeit it a major one and Goodell can't suspend him over that

Goodell has broad powers to punish players for violating the personal conduct policy, and it has nothing to do with what they are charged with, or even if they are convicted.

The Personal Conduct Policy allows him to impose discipline under any of the following circumstances:

• Criminal offenses including, but not limited to, those involving: the use or threat of violence;
domestic violence and other forms of partner abuse; theft and other property crimes; sex
offenses; obstruction or resisting arrest; disorderly conduct; fraud; racketeering; and money
laundering;

• Criminal offenses relating to steroids and prohibited substances, or substances of abuse;

• Violent or threatening behavior among employees, whether in or outside the workplace;

• Possession of a gun or other weapon in any workplace setting, including but not limited to
stadiums, team facilities, training camp, locker rooms, team planes, buses, parking lots, etc., or
unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace;

• Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person; and

• Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or
NFL players.

Those last couple of items are pretty subjective and pretty much allows Goodell to do whatever he wants.

Goobylal
07-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Goodell has broad powers to punish players for violating the personal conduct policy, and it has nothing to do with what they are charged with, or even if they are convicted.

The Personal Conduct Policy allows him to impose discipline under any of the following circumstances:

• Criminal offenses including, but not limited to, those involving: the use or threat of violence;
domestic violence and other forms of partner abuse; theft and other property crimes; sex
offenses; obstruction or resisting arrest; disorderly conduct; fraud; racketeering; and money
laundering;

• Criminal offenses relating to steroids and prohibited substances, or substances of abuse;

• Violent or threatening behavior among employees, whether in or outside the workplace;

• Possession of a gun or other weapon in any workplace setting, including but not limited to
stadiums, team facilities, training camp, locker rooms, team planes, buses, parking lots, etc., or
unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace;

• Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person; and

• Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or
NFL players.

Those last couple of items are pretty subjective and pretty much allows Goodell to do whatever he wants.
Not quite. Given that spice isn't tested for or banned by the NFL, his hands are tied there, especially since the felony charge will get dropped after he completes the PTI. And if Goodell starts suspending players over traffic tickets, the NFLPA will have a field day.

But if you're feeling confident, we can bet on it.

Skooby
07-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Not quite. Given that spice isn't tested for or banned by the NFL, his hands are tied there, especially since the felony charge will get dropped after he completes the PTI. And if Goodell starts suspending players over traffic tickets, the NFLPA will have a field day.

I think you're right.

GingerP
07-05-2014, 03:06 AM

This isn't the drug policy, it is the personal conduct policy. They are completely different things. Those items listed are directly from it. The first line states: "All persons associated with the NFL are required to avoid “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League."

Goodell has wide powers to punish players under the personal conduct policy. I do not know if he will or won't, but he has the power to do so. It doesn't matter if Spice is something tested under the drug policy, and it doesn't matter if he is convicted. All that matters is if his off-field issues are something Goodell feels is "conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League."

It is pretty clear:

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdf

There are plenty of examples of players getting suspended for violating the Personal Conduct Policy. It was the policy used to suspend Richie Incognito (who wasn't arrested for anything). It was used to punish Saints players after the bounty scandal (again, nothing illegal). It was used to punish Ben Roethlisberger after getting accused (but not charged) with rape.

Novacane
07-05-2014, 07:50 AM
He's in a program that takes care of the felony charges but this crash incident has to get resolved. Reckless driving is a little steep for crashing your own car & not hurting anyone.

LOL. No it's not. Reckless driving is reckless driving. If someone had gotten hurt he'd be charged with much worse!

Goobylal
07-05-2014, 08:25 AM
This isn't the drug policy, it is the personal conduct policy. They are completely different things. Those items listed are directly from it. The first line states: "All persons associated with the NFL are required to avoid “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League."

Goodell has wide powers to punish players under the personal conduct policy. I do not know if he will or won't, but he has the power to do so. It doesn't matter if Spice is something tested under the drug policy, and it doesn't matter if he is convicted. All that matters is if his off-field issues are something Goodell feels is "conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League."

It is pretty clear:

There are plenty of examples of players getting suspended for violating the Personal Conduct Policy. It was the policy used to suspend Richie Incognito (who wasn't arrested for anything). It was used to punish Saints players after the bounty scandal (again, nothing illegal). It was used to punish Ben Roethlisberger after getting accused (but not charged) with rape.
The PCP is there to punish players who put the NFL in a bad light. Big Ben had several rape accusations that conveniently got dismissed or settled, and then this high-profile one, and that's why he was suspended. Outside of Bills fans and maybe Alabama fans, neither the spice nor drag racing charges registered with anyone else because there's not much of a story there.

But again, the offer to make a bet still stands.

Skooby
07-05-2014, 09:23 AM
LOL. No it's not. Reckless driving is reckless driving. If someone had gotten hurt he'd be charged with much worse!

The defense will claim he lost control of his car, since there's not another car claiming damages it makes it harder. There's no where that can legally recognize the speed he was going & his sobriety isn't in question, so I see lots of holes in the prosecution.

better days
07-05-2014, 09:28 AM

It is pretty clear:

Goodell still has not suspended Marshawn Lynch who was arrested on a DUI last summer. If anyone could be charged under the personal conduct policy, it is Lynch.

GingerP
07-05-2014, 09:36 AM
But again, the offer to make a bet still stands.

I am not sure what you are betting, that he will get suspended? I don't know if he will or won't, my guess is he gets a 1-3 game suspension eventually. However, I am not sure what actually happens since it is really up to Roger Goodell and nobody else. However, it is a certainty he can be disciplined, as the policy has been violated just by his 2 arrests.

Just look at Aaron Berry. He got arrested twice in a month (DUI & pointing a gun at a guy in road rage incident). Though charged, he wasn't convicted on either charge before being suspended for 3 games (after Detroit released him). That is a similar deal to what Dareus went through this offseason.

I am hoping Goodell takes it easy on him, but he can be suspended. The Personal Conduct Policy allows Goodell to suspend guys just for making the NFL look bad. Dareus made the situation worse, because the Bills found out about both his arrests through the press. A player is required to inform his team when he gets in trouble, and just failing to do that makes Dareus situation worse. However, it is unlikely Goodell does anything until the charges play out, either through a plea deal or court. No matter what happens with them, though, he is subject to discipline at Goodell's discretion.

better days
07-05-2014, 09:38 AM
And aside from the DUI & hitting a pedestrian in Buffalo, Lynch pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge in LA where he had a semi automatic in his car trunk.

GingerP
07-05-2014, 09:44 AM
And aside from the DUI & hitting a pedestrian in Buffalo, Lynch pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge in LA where he had a semi automatic in his car trunk.

Yes, and he received a 3 game suspension from Goodell.

better days
07-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Yes, and he received a 3 game suspension from Goodell.

He has not had any suspension since being arrested the DUI.

Skooby
07-05-2014, 10:55 AM
I am not sure what you are betting, that he will get suspended? I don't know if he will or won't, my guess is he gets a 1-3 game suspension eventually. However, I am not sure what actually happens since it is really up to Roger Goodell and nobody else. However, it is a certainty he can be disciplined, as the policy has been violated just by his 2 arrests.

Just look at Aaron Berry. He got arrested twice in a month (DUI & pointing a gun at a guy in road rage incident). Though charged, he wasn't convicted on either charge before being suspended for 3 games (after Detroit released him). That is a similar deal to what Dareus went through this offseason.

I am hoping Goodell takes it easy on him, but he can be suspended. The Personal Conduct Policy allows Goodell to suspend guys just for making the NFL look bad. Dareus made the situation worse, because the Bills found out about both his arrests through the press. A player is required to inform his team when he gets in trouble, and just failing to do that makes Dareus situation worse. However, it is unlikely Goodell does anything until the charges play out, either through a plea deal or court. No matter what happens with them, though, he is subject to discipline at Goodell's discretion.

DUI and guns ? Doesn't this seem a little different than spice (which is not banned by the nfl) & crashing your car after allegedly racing ?

Goobylal
07-05-2014, 11:26 AM
Goodell still has not suspended Marshawn Lynch who was arrested on a DUI last summer. If anyone could be charged under the personal conduct policy, it is Lynch.
It was actually 2 years ago. And apparently he's pleading to reckless driving to get out of the DUI. So Dareus getting a reckless driving as well is a joke.

Yes, the bet is whether he gets suspended or not. I'll bet anything he won't. Goodell doesn't have nearly enough to warrant it.

stuckincincy
07-05-2014, 12:04 PM
The defense will claim he lost control of his car, since there's not another car claiming damages it makes it harder. There's no where that can legally recognize the speed he was going & his sobriety isn't in question, so I see lots of holes in the prosecution.

Jerry Hughes...witness for the prosecution. :kid:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000355884/article/jerry-hughes-i-was-second-driver-in-dareus-incident

better days
07-05-2014, 12:24 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000355884/article/jerry-hughes-i-was-second-driver-in-dareus-incident

Jerry pleads the fifth.

Skooby
07-05-2014, 12:35 PM

He's not going to cooperate, it's his teammate and there's millions involved. There's no death, injuries or loss of life (damaged tree). If anything, have Dareus pay to replace the tree & any shrubbery involved.

better days
07-05-2014, 01:14 PM
He's not going to cooperate, it's his teammate and there's millions involved. There's no death, injuries or loss of life (damaged tree). If anything, have Dareus pay to replace the tree & any shrubbery involved.

Not to mention he would implicate himself for the same crime.

Skooby
07-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Not to mention he would implicate himself for the same crime.

Yeah, that's a great point.

stuckincincy
07-05-2014, 01:25 PM

It's a criminal case. I'm not raining down from above on these fools for spinning their wheels. I've done such in my youth.

Hughes doesn't have to cooperate further. His public statements, admissions stand. If it's a jury trial, the (idiot) Dareus may try to impeach Hughes' well-published utterance. The jury's eyes would roll...

This isn't a tort case. I suppose the tree owner has been compensated. You certainly can't query a tree or the owner of the tree about assumption of risk.

Were I Dareus, I'd strike an angelic pose, toss a mea culpa, take advantage of the NFLs' long-standing limo services, and keep my trap shut. That way, he might avoid Goodell's sting.

There are three things you can do when your nabbed:

1) Keep your trap shut. Totally, completely.

2) Tell the truth. All of it. The works.

3) Tell a basic, simple lie, and stick to it. No trimmings, no further comments or explanations. Don't worry about lying to the authorities. They have training in lying to you, and if nobody lied to the authorities, most of them would have been out of a job years ago.

This player had had prior rumblings with his team...I suspect his "benefit of the doubt" account isn't overflowing. I peg him for 1 to 2 game suspension.

Goobylal
07-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I've never heard of a player being suspended for either spice and/or drag racing. Much less when the the sum total of the charges is a moving violation. If you think that Goodell can suspend him because he got into trouble twice, think again. The NFLPA will ensure that the spice thing means nothing, especially since it will get expunged from his record, and therefore there is no grounds to suspend him based on a moving violation. And my bet is open to anyone and everyone.

Skooby
07-05-2014, 01:50 PM
I've never heard of a player being suspended for either spice and/or drag racing. Much less when the the sum total of the charges is a moving violation. If you think that Goodell can suspend him because he got into trouble twice, think again. The NFLPA will ensure that the spice thing means nothing, especially since it will get expunged from his record, and therefore there is no grounds to suspend him based on a moving violation. And my bet is open to anyone and everyone.

I can only wonder if the paraphernalia charges would hurt him, he did get charged with a felony for having those items as well (however lame that may seem).

stuckincincy
07-05-2014, 02:19 PM

I'd be surprised if the NFLPA would utter a peep about "spice", which is an an ever-changing cocktail of toxicity. They know full well what butters their economic (money) bread. It's a union, and defending regardless of truth is what a union does.

stuckincincy
07-05-2014, 02:39 PM
I can only wonder if the paraphernalia charges would hurt him, he did get charged with a felony for having those items as well (however lame that may seem).

His not taking a plea in the driving charges is curious. He pleaded out of the drug thing, agreed to some sort of intervention program ($$$ for the State, there).

Speculation: State laws are what they are...who knows what was turned over to the Hamburg NY police re evidence?

Is there some attached jeopardy?

Goobylal
07-05-2014, 03:19 PM
They'll all get expunged once he finishes his PTI.

I'd be surprised if the NFLPA would utter a peep about "spice", which is an an ever-changing cocktail of toxicity. They know full well what butters their economic (money) bread. It's a union, and defending regardless of truth is what a union does.
The NFLPA has gone to bat for KWII over his spice charge. I'm sure they'll do the same for Marcell.

His not taking a plea in the driving charges is curious. He pleaded out of the drug thing, agreed to some sort of intervention program ($$$ for the State, there).

Speculation: State laws are what they are...who knows what was turned over to the Hamburg NY police re evidence?

I'm sure his attorney knows what they know and advised against taking the plea deal.

Skooby
07-05-2014, 05:09 PM

I would think delay is the plan, the offer is to remain on the table (via the DA's own words) so why not try to improve the offer? A few postponements, he behaves and gets out of the other charges & voila.

better days
07-05-2014, 05:14 PM
I would think delay is the plan, the offer is to remain on the table (via the DA's own words) so why not try to improve the offer? A few postponements, he behaves and gets out of the other charges & voila.

Exactly. And that is just what Lynch did.

Got his DUI reduced to reckless driving.

better days
07-05-2014, 06:29 PM
It's a criminal case. I'm not raining down from above on these fools for spinning their wheels. I've done such in my youth.

Hughes doesn't have to cooperate further. His public statements, admissions stand. If it's a jury trial, the (idiot) Dareus may try to impeach Hughes' well-published utterance. The jury's eyes would roll...

This isn't a tort case. I suppose the tree owner has been compensated. You certainly can't query a tree or the owner of the tree about assumption of risk.

Were I Dareus, I'd strike an angelic pose, toss a mea culpa, take advantage of the NFLs' long-standing limo services, and keep my trap shut. That way, he might avoid Goodell's sting.

There are three things you can do when your nabbed:

1) Keep your trap shut. Totally, completely.

2) Tell the truth. All of it. The works.

3) Tell a basic, simple lie, and stick to it. No trimmings, no further comments or explanations. Don't worry about lying to the authorities. They have training in lying to you, and if nobody lied to the authorities, most of them would have been out of a job years ago.

This player had had prior rumblings with his team...I suspect his "benefit of the doubt" account isn't overflowing. I peg him for 1 to 2 game suspension.

My understanding is Hughes did not admit to anything.

Marrone could possibly suspend Dareus for a game or a half, but I don't expect the NFL to take any action against Dareus.

stuckincincy
07-05-2014, 07:17 PM
My understanding is Hughes did not admit to anything.

Marrone could possibly suspend Dareus for a game or a half, but I don't expect the NFL to take any action against Dareus.

better days
07-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Yes he admitted to being at the scene of the accident, that article does not say he admitted to anything other than that.

Skooby
07-06-2014, 08:39 AM

Police posturing, intent without the law's witnessing the event is not easy to prove. Also pleading to a reckless driving charge when that looks to be their only case against him seems pretty silly.