PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Drive By Ralph Wilson Stadium Lately?

BillsImpossible
07-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Wow. I think people are going to be incredibly impressed with the $130 million project.

I am going to go out on a limb and predict many fans will soon be saying, "It feels like I am in a new stadium."

It looks like one too.

If Chicago, Green Bay, Kansas City, and now Miami can renovate their stadiums without Roger Goodell wagging his finger saying they must build a new stadium or else....why not Buffalo?

I feel like The Commish is forcing Buffalo to build a new stadium, while the teams above get a free pass.

I do not think that is fair to the next soon to be owner of the Buffalo Bills, because any potential bid could/might require a guarantee to build a new stadium within the next 10 years.

Why?

Why isn't Miami being told they must build a new stadium, or else risk losing their team? They can't even sellout their games with a good team and great weather.

Because Roger Goodell knows people in Miami won't give a damn?

Is this an equal playing field?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11097994/miami-dolphins-get-ok-county-stadium-renovation

MIAMI -- The Dolphins (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/mia/miami-dolphins) sealed a deal to renovate Sun Life stadium and will begin work this summer on the $350 million project, which will help South Florida's chances of hosting future Super Bowls.

THATHURMANATOR
07-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Yeah about am hour ago

SpikedLemonade
07-06-2014, 05:23 PM
LOL!!!

YardRat
07-06-2014, 08:35 PM
All of the new reno's are going to upgrade the appearance and experience for the average fan, but afaik the Ralph is probably maxed out it's capability to increase the suite capacity, and Goodell knows that's where the money is in today's NFL and probably what he is referring to when mentioning the necessity for a new stadium.

coastal
07-06-2014, 08:55 PM
They have trouble selling suites now.

bob86
07-06-2014, 10:39 PM
A few thoughts on this.

Does Western New York need a new football stadium more than better roads or improved schools; of course not. However the thought of what would happen to Western New York without the Bills is too precarious to even envision.
I for one think the Ralph is one of the best places to watch a game in the NFL. You are right on top of the action and the sight lines can’t be beat. Through work I have had the chance to attend football games at a number of different arenas and most of the new ones are so large and poorly laid out that unless you buy the highest price seat you spend most of the time watching the live action on the new fancy scoreboard because that is the only way you can see anything. Whether by intention or luck, whoever designed the Ralph really came-up with a lay out that creates the best fan experience for actually watching football. Sure the bathrooms are beyond gross, the food service is the worst in the league, the sound system was crazy bad for decades, but all of that is secondary to actually watching the game.

So with that said, the Bills need a new stadium. Not because the Ralph is bad but because a new stadium will force the new owner to sign a long term lease keeping the Bills in Buffalo for the next 25 to 30 years. Even if the new owner is a local, there is no way he will sign a 25 to 30 year lease extension at the Ralph. You don’t get rich by being stupid. The Ralph will be 50 years old at the end of the current lease. That happens to be about the max life span of the concrete used to build the stadium. Maybe you could get another 10 years out of it but that is pushing it. I think there are trying to fix the worst of the problems that already exist, but that can only go on for so long.
The key point being that the main reason to build a new stadium is that it is a device to lock the Bills into Buffalo on a long term basis. Without a new stadium and a long term lease, we are going to run into the same situation every five years or so with a risk of losing the team because the Bills are only bound by a short term lease.

I fully expect a local person will buy the Bills, but what happens in 2020 if the new owner has himself passed away (both proposed owners are in their 60’s and 70’s). Without a new stadium in the works and the corresponding long-term lease, the situation would be extremely dire. I just don’t see any other means to end the risk of relocation.

better days
07-07-2014, 06:19 AM
A few thoughts on this.

Does Western New York need a new football stadium more than better roads or improved schools; of course not. However the thought of what would happen to Western New York without the Bills is too precarious to even envision.
I for one think the Ralph is one of the best places to watch a game in the NFL. You are right on top of the action and the sight lines can’t be beat. Through work I have had the chance to attend football games at a number of different arenas and most of the new ones are so large and poorly laid out that unless you buy the highest price seat you spend most of the time watching the live action on the new fancy scoreboard because that is the only way you can see anything. Whether by intention or luck, whoever designed the Ralph really came-up with a lay out that creates the best fan experience for actually watching football. Sure the bathrooms are beyond gross, the food service is the worst in the league, the sound system was crazy bad for decades, but all of that is secondary to actually watching the game.

So with that said, the Bills need a new stadium. Not because the Ralph is bad but because a new stadium will force the new owner to sign a long term lease keeping the Bills in Buffalo for the next 25 to 30 years. Even if the new owner is a local, there is no way he will sign a 25 to 30 year lease extension at the Ralph. You don’t get rich by being stupid. The Ralph will be 50 years old at the end of the current lease. That happens to be about the max life span of the concrete used to build the stadium. Maybe you could get another 10 years out of it but that is pushing it. I think there are trying to fix the worst of the problems that already exist, but that can only go on for so long.
The key point being that the main reason to build a new stadium is that it is a device to lock the Bills into Buffalo on a long term basis. Without a new stadium and a long term lease, we are going to run into the same situation every five years or so with a risk of losing the team because the Bills are only bound by a short term lease.

I fully expect a local person will buy the Bills, but what happens in 2020 if the new owner has himself passed away (both proposed owners are in their 60’s and 70’s). Without a new stadium in the works and the corresponding long-term lease, the situation would be extremely dire. I just don’t see any other means to end the risk of relocation.

I believe both Pegula & Golisono would both buy the Bills with the intent to build a new Stadium.

Goodell most likely knows this & is telling other potential buyers they would have to do the same if they bought the Bills.

SpikedLemonade
07-07-2014, 07:47 AM
I believe both Pegula & Golisono would both buy the Bills with the intent to build a new Stadium.

Goodell most likely knows this & is telling other potential buyers they would have to do the same if they bought the Bills.

Neither Pegula or Golisono will put in more than 25% of their own money on a stadium.

The NFL will kick in their usual $150M and the rest will be public funding.

better days
07-07-2014, 07:54 AM
Neither Pegula or Golisono will put in more than 25% of their own money on a stadium.

What is your point?

A new Stadium will get built, the financing will be worked out in the end to get it done.

Fletch
07-07-2014, 08:48 AM

I'm not sure that's so usual anymore. They kicked in just over that for Yankee stadium if I'm not mistaken. I'm going off memory here.

There seems to be a long overdue push to have NFL owners pay for their own stadiums out of their own profits. The money would come from player salaries which are obscene today.

So in essence, look at it this way, these tax subsidies are really welfare for the rich, the players. Because if owners had to pay for their own business expenses with their own profits like most businesses have to, then the money could only come from what the players get and the around $100M annually that every team spends on them.

Players were getting screwed in the '60s, '70s, and it can even be argued in the '80s, but today many are obscenely overpaid and the ones getting screwed are the fans and taxpayers that aren't even fans.

The NFL needs to pay its own expenses. Either that or tell other local business owners that they can have taxpayers pick up the financing on that new brick and mortar building too.

Fletch
07-07-2014, 08:50 AM
As to the bathrooms, they could put a few hundred porta-potties around the walkway underneath the stands.

What could go wrong.

Dr. Lecter
07-08-2014, 10:11 AM
I was there two weekends ago,but they did not have much of it open

It certainly seems like it will look very different. The gates and concourses will be much more efficient if nothing else and the restrooms sure as hell can't be worse.

Ed
07-08-2014, 10:44 AM
No pictures?

justasportsfan
07-08-2014, 11:01 AM
The gates and concourses will be much more efficient if nothing else and the restrooms sure as hell can't be worse.

You seriously need to stop hanging around the mens room, Sally.

Dr. Lecter
07-08-2014, 11:07 AM
You seriously need to stop hanging around the mens room, Sally.

It's not my fault that I don't need to pee sitting down like you.

Dr. Lecter
07-08-2014, 11:08 AM
No pictures?

I was going to take a few on my way out but I was way past exhausted and there was not a ton to see except crap torn up and some new black paint

IlluminatusUIUC
07-08-2014, 12:55 PM
As to the bathrooms, they could put a few hundred porta-potties around the walkway underneath the stands.

What could go wrong.

They should just run the pee troughs piping right into the visitor's showers.