• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

10 Things You Should Know - Jerry Hughes

1. Jerry Hughes played running back for the Austin High School Bulldogs.
    2. As a senior Hughes racked up 1,500 yards of offense 22 TD’s.
    3. Jerry was recruited by Iowa State, Arizona State, North Texas and TCU. He ultimately decided to play at TCU.
    4. Upon arriving at TCU Hughes was handed number 98 and he began his transition to defensive end. Despite playing a new position Jerry earned a roster spot as a true freshman.
    5. In 2008 Hughes (a junior) took over the starting role and led the NCAA with 15 sacks. He also had 18.5 tackles for a loss, 6 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions and a touchdown.
    6. Those numbers made him a first-team All American, and the Mountain West Defensive Player of the year, which he would later repeat his senior season.
    7. Tough against the run TCU allowed only two 100 yard rushers in 2009. One of them was Clemson running back CJ Spiller.
    8. Hughes finished his career at TCU winning the Ronnie Lott Trophy and the Tedd Hendricks Award, both prestigious honors. He also set the mark for most sacks in MWC history with 28.5.
    9. Hughes was selected with the 31st pick of the 2010 draft, by the AFC Champion Colts and GM Bill Polian.
    10. Versatility is likely what drove the Bills to send Kelvin Sheppard to the Colts in exchange for Hughes a move that paid huge dividends. Hughes had 10 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in his first season in Buffalo.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

Re: 10 Things You Should Know - Jerry Hughes

That was such a good trade. Would we have drafted Kiko if we were still trying to "give Kelvin a chance"?

Jerry might not be a good all round DE, but he was successful as a situational pass rusher. That has a lot of value and we got him for free.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Under "Fleecing" in Websters, it references Hughes for Sheppard.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mightysimi
        Buckle me in on the highway of sin
        • Mar 2010

11. Likes to drag race fast cars with team members.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
          I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
          • Sep 2004

12. Hit and run
          The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

Working...
          X