PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly isn't scare of dying from Cancer

Skooby
07-15-2014, 12:25 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/07/15/jim-kelly-football-camp-cancer-dying/12672101/

Radiation and chemotherapy treatments for sinus cancer have taken away Jim Kelly's hair and he's dropped 51 pounds, but the former Buffalo Bills quarterback hasn't lost his sense of humor.
After taking one question Tuesday morning at his one-day football camp at St. John Fisher College, the Pro Hall of Famer acted as if the interview was done and turned to walk away. He was joking, of course.
"I was a kid once and I know what it's like to look forward to doing something and look forward to meeting somebody," Kelly, 54, said, explaining that while he feels fatigued he couldn't stay away from Fisher, where the Bills open training camp on Friday.
"I want to make a difference in these kids' lives, not only on the field but from what I'm going to tell them later on about the choices they make as young adults that can impact what they become," Kelly said.
"If you say you're going to be there, you be there," he added about attending the camp. "That's pretty much how I was raised."

OpIv37
07-15-2014, 02:37 PM
I love Jimbo but let's be honest: nature took his hair long before chemo. I went to his football camp back in 95 or 96 and his hairline was receding even back then.

Michael82
07-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Can't wait to see him roaming the sideline at camp. I'm sure he'll draw some big cheers.

The last buffalo fan
07-15-2014, 04:25 PM
I know it will be harder or immpossible now, but would love to have him as coach (Qb's, OC, etc.), any kind, I don't care at all. :gobills:

Skooby
07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
I know it will be harder or immpossible now, but would love to have him as coach (Qb's, OC, etc.), any kind, I don't care at all. :gobills:

He's always going to be our team's cheerleaders.

Mr. Miyagi
07-15-2014, 08:45 PM
If he's truly all clear from cancer, he'll be back in full health in no time. I can't wait to see him on gameday either.

Meathead
07-16-2014, 02:16 AM
after all hes been through i can guarantee you one thing, hes not clear of cancer and hes never going to be healthy. the best he can get now is just more time. my aunt got ten mostly difficult extra years, but it still got her. but as grim as it looked a few months ago he seems to be doing much better than expected, so hopefully he can get in some quality time before the worst part comes

trapezeus
07-16-2014, 09:00 AM
he's considered cancer free 5 years after treatment with no relapses. homers and realists are probably all on board for him to go 5 years without issue.

hoping he gets to one of his dreams as a big wig with the bills as a front office type.

better days
07-16-2014, 10:45 AM
If he's truly all clear from cancer, he'll be back in full health in no time. I can't wait to see him on gameday either.

He won't know for at least a year if he is in the clear.

I went to the Dr. on a weekly basis for 3 months then a monthly basis for the next year.

The last buffalo fan
07-16-2014, 11:32 AM
After surgery, I had blood test every three months for two years, then twice a year for anoher two years. Thank God I never required chemotherapy, so I don' know about Jimbo but hopefully he is ok now and ready to roll again.

better days
07-16-2014, 12:18 PM
After surgery, I had blood test every three months for two years, then twice a year for anoher two years. Thank God I never required chemotherapy, so I don' know about Jimbo but hopefully he is ok now and ready to roll again.

I had tests every three months for 5 years.

Chemo is terrible to go through short term, but the radiation is the worst & the reason Jim is eating through a tube.

I drank Aloe juice by the gallon (my own idea) while going through radiation to sooth my burned throat.

Although I did have a feeding tube, I never had to use it I was able to keep eating.

Still I went from 205 lbs to 98 lbs. I weigh 175 today.

Radiation destroyed my thyroid & saliva glands.

The last buffalo fan
07-16-2014, 12:45 PM

Chemo is terrible to go through short term, but the radiation is the worst & the reason Jim is eating through a tube.

I drank Aloe juice by the gallon (my own idea) while going through radiation to sooth my burned throat.

Although I did have a feeding tube, I never had to use it I was able to keep eating.

Damn, sorry to know about it. Glad you are doing now better, but suffering for an awful and lame team! :gobills:

better days
07-16-2014, 02:27 PM
Damn, sorry to know about it. Glad you are doing now better, but suffering for an awful and lame team! :gobills:

I hope better days are coming for the Bills before Jim or any of us die.

Skooby
07-16-2014, 07:31 PM
I hope better days are coming for the Bills before Jim or any of us die.

Big buzz killer.

feldspar
07-17-2014, 02:57 PM

My father died from cancer just this past Friday, with me and my brother taking care of him.

Radiation is a very harsh thing. My dad went through that and skipped the chemo. I kinda wish he didn't even have the radiation, as he lost ridiculous amounts of weight and it probably burned his throat just like you...couldn't really talk but in spurts near the end. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer about 5 or 6 months ago, probably closer to 5. He was a great Bills fan.

Sorry for your troubles.

I think dying from cancer is something to be afraid of, though.

stuckincincy
07-17-2014, 03:22 PM
My father died from cancer just this past Friday, with me and my brother taking care of him.

Radiation is a very harsh thing. My dad went through that and skipped the chemo. I kinda wish he didn't even have the radiation, as he lost ridiculous amounts of weight and it probably burned his throat just like you...couldn't really talk but in spurts near the end. He was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer about 5 or 6 months ago, probably closer to 5. He was a great Bills fan.

Sorry for your troubles.

Bless his soul. RIP.

Meathead
07-17-2014, 05:37 PM
ugh. sorry bout your dad. cancer blows

Luisito23
07-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Really sorry to hear that about your dad Feldspar.

The last buffalo fan
07-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Feldspar, I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank God your dad is no longer suffering, from this awful thing.

Skooby
07-17-2014, 08:00 PM

Sorry for your troubles.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

better days
07-17-2014, 11:04 PM

Sorry for your troubles.

Condolences to you & your family. I had stage 4 Cancer as well.

I did not expect to live, nor did my Doctors expect me to live.

The Doctor told me they were trying an experimental treatment & asked if I wanted to take part in it.

He said if you agree, I give you a 35% chance you will be alive in 30 days.

But he said if you don't agree, I guarantee you will be dead within 30 days.

My wife & I had just bought an old house that needed a lot of work, a total rehab.

I was just trying to buy some time to see as much of the major work get done as possible.

Amazing, I am still alive. I do have difficulty talking at times still.

I was never afraid to die, but I would much rather die of a heart attack than to have cancer return.

Skooby
07-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Condolences to you & your family. I had stage 4 Cancer as well.

I did not expect to live, nor did my Doctors expect me to live.

The Doctor told me they were trying an experimental treatment & asked if I wanted to take part in it.

He said if you agree, I give you a 35% chance you will be alive in 30 days.

But he said if you don't agree, I guarantee you will be dead within 30 days.

My wife & I had just bought an old house that needed a lot of work, a total rehab.

I was just trying to buy some time to see as much of the major work get done as possible.

Amazing, I am still alive. I do have difficulty talking at times still.

I was never afraid to die, but I would much rather die of a heart attack than to have cancer return.

Well I can see your prospective now & why you post what you post, wow.

feldspar
07-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys.

And don't let 'em get you down better days...all the best to you.