PDA

View Full Version : Looks like QB Orton is getting axed

stuckincincy
07-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Nice severance package..."The Cowboys' decision to release Orton means the quarterback will not have to pay back the $3.25 million in prorated signing bonus he received."...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000365392/article/kyle-orton-released-by-dallas-cowboys

Anybody feel that BUF has an interest in him?

kscdogbillsfan1221
07-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Nice severance package..."The Cowboys' decision to release Orton means the quarterback will not have to pay back the $3.25 million in prorated signing bonus he received."...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000365392/article/kyle-orton-released-by-dallas-cowboys

no. the bills have made it clear that they do not want any competition with EJ. Or at least this is my interpretation of everything i have seen this off season

Skooby
07-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Orton would be a good back-up with the veteran experience we lack.

justasportsfan
07-16-2014, 12:48 PM
He's too immobile that might not even make it to the line of scrimmage on time to snap the ball himself if the bills run the no-huddle.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-16-2014, 01:06 PM
He is a vet presence that would be a better option than Tuel or Lewis, but to what end really?

stuckincincy
07-16-2014, 01:14 PM
He is a vet presence that would be a better option than Tuel or Lewis, but to what end really?

Lovie Smith @CHI had him start his rookie year, and IMO, ruined him. He played a game at CIN, obviously struggling, and Smith kept him in while he committed 5 interceptions.

Orton wised up and realized that if he was just meat, he'd sell his meat.

Fletch
07-16-2014, 03:54 PM

I have to laugh, everytime some mediocre QB gets released we're so bad that the discussion inevitably seriously turns to whether or not we should sign the guy.

trapezeus
07-16-2014, 04:09 PM
one thing i think that's important for any team is that the backup is capable of running the offense the starter has the keys to.

orton not being much like EJ (not a real threat to run the read option, etc), means that if (when) ej is hurt, the rest of the offense needs to learn a new system and gameplan to accomdate whatever orton's strengths are. IN a week, that's not usually fast enough. it creates more issues than it solves.

for better or worse, lewis can come in and do what ej does. and that continuity helps.

I came to this realization as we saw tebow struggle to land with teams. having him as a back up isn't a great option because so much has to change to fit his strength of being a running qb.

I just don't see orton as an nfl viable qb anymore and with the major differences from ej and lewis, it's not worth having him come in and keep us in the middle of the pack.

this is an all in bet the bills have made. they have to go for it without meaningless hedges at this point.

swiper
07-16-2014, 04:11 PM

I thought Orton was retiring.

Before the Cowboys signed him I thought he and Matt Moore were the two most unheralded, yet decent veteran back-ups around.

Fletch
07-16-2014, 08:02 PM
one thing i think that's important for any team is that the backup is capable of running the offense the starter has the keys to.

At this point I'd be willing to take my chances with one qualified and competent starting QB and absolutely no backups at all, or backups that suck.

We haven't had a good starting QB since Kelly. That's too dam long. It's exactly because people like Whaley don't have a clue.

Skooby
07-16-2014, 08:09 PM
At this point I'd be willing to take my chances with one qualified and competent starting QB and absolutely no backups at all, or backups that suck.

We haven't had a good starting QB since Kelly. That's too dam long. It's exactly because people like Whaley don't have a clue.

We have UDFA & quite nobodies, why would Orton be a bad choice?

Fletch
07-16-2014, 08:16 PM
We have UDFA & quite nobodies, why would Orton be a bad choice?

Why is he a good one?

If Manuel can't do better than Orton I rest my case.

Besides, he'd be a backup. I don't understand what your question has to do with my statement unless you're suggesting that we sign Orton to start. Does the prospect of Orton starting do anything for you? Sounds like more of the same to me.

YardRat
07-16-2014, 08:30 PM
A vet back-up QB at this point is moot, especially someone like Orton, as trap has already pointed out.

I'm OK rolling with EJ and Lewis right now for this season.

Mace
07-16-2014, 10:16 PM
I have to laugh, everytime some mediocre QB gets released we're so bad that the discussion inevitably seriously turns to whether or not we should sign the guy.

Sort of comical though when it's Dallas and Jurrah done went and spent more Munnah than if he'd just have sat there and not done Unnahthang.

Orton just wants to retire, he could have sat there, played a few games a few years and made millions for hanging out and keeping his bangs short enough to look out a helmet, breaking a sweat a few times a year on a team that just wants him to break a sweat a few times a year and keep his bangs short enough to look out a helmet.

Fletch
07-16-2014, 11:14 PM
A vet back-up QB at this point is moot, especially someone like Orton, as trap has already pointed out.

I'm OK rolling with EJ and Lewis right now for this season.

I'm far from good with it, but we're not going to do any better at this point, which we seem to agree on.

I think that Manuel's finished after this season. If we go any less than 6-10 then I think that Whaley's finished too, especially if we get a new owner by then regardless of who it is.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-17-2014, 12:44 AM

orton not being much like EJ (not a real threat to run the read option, etc), means that if (when) ej is hurt, the rest of the offense needs to learn a new system and gameplan to accomdate whatever orton's strengths are. IN a week, that's not usually fast enough. it creates more issues than it solves.

for better or worse, lewis can come in and do what ej does. and that continuity helps.

I came to this realization as we saw tebow struggle to land with teams. having him as a back up isn't a great option because so much has to change to fit his strength of being a running qb.

I just don't see orton as an nfl viable qb anymore and with the major differences from ej and lewis, it's not worth having him come in and keep us in the middle of the pack.

this is an all in bet the bills have made. they have to go for it without meaningless hedges at this point.

EJ is not much of a threat to run the read either, and for that matter neither is Spiller. I like the concept for an offense, but we don't have the personnel for it.

Night Train
07-17-2014, 03:26 AM
He had an arm much like Trentative did. 7 yards was a bomb. He's done.

trapezeus
07-17-2014, 07:41 AM
EJ is not much of a threat to run the read either, and for that matter neither is Spiller. I like the concept for an offense, but we don't have the personnel for it.

i agree, EJ rarely runs and lewis did more of it. but thorton standing in shot gunning pretending he may run is more nonsensical than when EJ does it. because when EJ does run, he has athletic ability and has had some long scrambles.

one thing that stinks is that the bills are all in for this year, but they don't have the luxury of getting the high draft pick if it goes wrong. as in if it's obvious that ej isn't getting it by week 4, the bills can't go to a plan B to save the season. and they can't just lose out.

the fans and the team don't realize how much they all need to just step up this year. everything depends on it.

THATHURMANATOR
07-17-2014, 09:03 AM
No Orton He sucks.

If EJ sucks we are screwed.

WagonCircler
07-17-2014, 09:12 AM

That's what happens when you have a sub-mediocre starting QB who misses 40% of his games due to injury.

stuckincincy
07-17-2014, 10:16 AM
i agree, EJ rarely runs and lewis did more of it. but thorton standing in shot gunning pretending he may run is more nonsensical than when EJ does it. because when EJ does run, he has athletic ability and has had some long scrambles.

one thing that stinks is that the bills are all in for this year, but they don't have the luxury of getting the high draft pick if it goes wrong. as in if it's obvious that ej isn't getting it by week 4, the bills can't go to a plan B to save the season. and they can't just lose out.

the fans and the team don't realize how much they all need to just step up this year. everything depends on it.

I don't suppose clubs jump for joy playing the extra HOF game, but perhaps that will help BUF sort out their roster. always the risk of injury, of course.