PDA

View Full Version : BILLS DT DAREUS PLACED ON NON-FOOTBALL IL DAY BEFORE CAMP

SpikedLemonade
07-19-2014, 03:59 PM
PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- Bills starting defensive tackle Marcell Dareus (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/?name=marcell+dareus) won't be ready for the opening of training camp in his latest off-season setback.

The Bills announced Dareus was placed on the active/non-football injury list Saturday, a day before the team holds its first practice in suburban Rochester.

The Bills didn't say why he was placed on the list. Coach Doug Marrone won't be available for comment until Sunday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=457529

stuckincincy
07-19-2014, 04:14 PM
PITTSFORD, N.Y. -- Bills starting defensive tackle Marcell Dareus (http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/teams/players/?name=marcell+dareus) won't be ready for the opening of training camp in his latest off-season setback.

The Bills announced Dareus was placed on the active/non-football injury list Saturday, a day before the team holds its first practice in suburban Rochester.

The Bills didn't say why he was placed on the list. Coach Doug Marrone won't be available for comment until Sunday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=457529

I don't understand the meaning of "active/non-football injury list."

Is he ineligible until week six?

..."NFL rules

A team may place a player on injured reserve (reserve/injured list) who is "not immediately available for participation with a club". Generally, these players may not practice or return to the Active List for the rest of the season (including postseason games or the Pro Bowl) that they are placed on injured reserve, but are allowed to be with the team.[2]

During the preseason, the league also allows players with long-term, but not season-ending, injuries to be placed into one of two designations: physically unable to perform (PUP), for injuries sustained during the previous season or during training camp, or reserve/non-football injury, for injuries sustained outside of team or league activities (despite the name, this includes lingering injuries from college football play, should an injured player be drafted and join the team. Both designations are functionally identical in that the player can be promoted to the active roster by week 6 of the regular season or placed on injured reserve. A team cannot cut an injured player from the payroll without negotiating an injury settlement with him.

Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.[3] Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8. Teams may also place a player on injured reserve with a minor injury designation, but the team must release the player once he is healthy."...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list

????

Goobylal
07-19-2014, 04:21 PM
He probably failed the conditioning test. Not a big deal as long as it doesn't keep him out long.

BillsImpossible
07-19-2014, 04:24 PM
I think Jon Bon Jovi has a Buffalo Bills voodoo doll.

Skooby
07-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Horrible news, Duffs isn't a good place to frequent.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-19-2014, 05:46 PM
He may still have lingering injuries from, you know, spinning his car into a tree at extremely high speed.

Night Train
07-19-2014, 05:49 PM
He may still have lingering injuries from, you know, spinning his car into a tree at extremely high speed.

They should have sent him to Carruba Collisiion, instead of the car.

Mace
07-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Could be substance abuse rehab per his synthetic charge, and he's gonna be suspended anyway. Might be Goodell considers that in the overall amount of games as sentence served. I dunno.

I was expecting something like this though.

GingerP
07-19-2014, 06:44 PM
I don't understand the meaning of "active/non-football injury list."

Is he ineligible until week six?

He is placed on the active list to start camp, but can return at any time once deemed ready to participate. They would have to make a decision by the start of the season if they want him on the regular NFI, which keeps him out 6 weeks.

Unga was also placed on the list, and both likely failed their conditioning tests. Once in shape enough to pass the test, they will be activated.

GreedoII
07-20-2014, 05:55 AM
Man Buddy Nix screwed this team. Yeah he wanted to leave a lasting impression when he left...sure did..picking a part time RB in the 1st rd and a pot head in the 1st rd who is a mess and a crappy QB in the 1st rd which they were basically put in a corner to pick. Thanks Buddy. 1st guy to go when the owner gets here along with Ralph's cronies...Littman..Overdorf...Brandon...

Skooby
07-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Man Buddy Nix screwed this team. Yeah he wanted to leave a lasting impression when he left...sure did..picking a part time RB in the 1st rd and a pot head in the 1st rd who is a mess and a crappy QB in the 1st rd which they were basically put in a corner to pick. Thanks Buddy. 1st guy to go when the owner gets here along with Ralph's cronies...Littman..Overdorf...Brandon...

I never looked at it this way but you have a strong point, even though they were almost assured to be canned anyway.

GreedoII
07-20-2014, 07:35 AM
I never looked at it this way but you have a strong point, even though they were almost assured to be canned anyway.

Assured to be canned? Let's hope...

Goobylal
07-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Could be substance abuse rehab per his synthetic charge, and he's gonna be suspended anyway. Might be Goodell considers that in the overall amount of games as sentence served. I dunno.

I was expecting something like this though.
Um, no. He failed his conditioning test. And he won't be suspended, at least by the league. The spice charge will be expunged when he completes the PTI and his "drag race" charge will end up being a traffic ticket.

LOL! Dareus made the Pro Bowl last year, Spiller is a dynamic player when healthy (can't predict that) and EJ is far from a "crappy QB." No wonder Han shot first.

kingJofNYC
07-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Per Marrone, Dareus failed his conditioning test. What a disappointment after a good year.

Gailey and Co gave Dareus a long leash, now Marrone has to clean up their mess.

Skooby
07-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Per Marrone, Dareus failed his conditioning test. What a disappointment after a good year.

Gailey and Co gave Dareus a long leash, now Marrone has to clean up their mess.

I'm not sure what the angle is here but keeping MD under the radar seems to be a team related effort, I'd assume that his inability to be prepared for camp is a matter of simple time in training now.

SpikedLemonade
07-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Is this an effort by Dareus to get out of Buffalo?

It seems the Bills are giving him every opportunity to succeed in Buffalo but he seems to be resisting.

Doesn't he know about the City of Buffalo's Renaissance?

Goobylal
07-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Not ideal, but mostly a non-issue unless he misses significant time in TC.

Fletch
07-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Doesn't he know about the City of Buffalo's Renaissance?

LOL

jamze132
07-21-2014, 12:37 AM
He should go to a bigger market so he can completely throw away his career. Why half-ass it?

stuckincincy
07-21-2014, 05:32 AM
He is placed on the active list to start camp, but can return at any time once deemed ready to participate. They would have to make a decision by the start of the season if they want him on the regular NFI, which keeps him out 6 weeks.

Unga was also placed on the list, and both likely failed their conditioning tests. Once in shape enough to pass the test, they will be activated.

Thanks. I assume the idea is to bring in another camp body until the player returns.

GingerP
07-21-2014, 06:51 AM
Thanks. I assume the idea is to bring in another camp body until the player returns.

No, he still counts against the roster. He can't practice. The idea is he is in a status where he isn't in physical shape for practice and isn't cleared.

If he does end up on the reserve-NFI (or the reserve-PUP), then he will miss games and doesn't count toward the roster. Doubt it comes to that, considering his affliction is being out of shape.

DraftBoy
07-21-2014, 07:05 AM
No, he still counts against the roster. He can't practice. The idea is he is in a status where he isn't in physical shape for practice and isn't cleared.

If he does end up on the reserve-NFI (or the reserve-PUP), then he will miss games and doesn't count toward the roster. Doubt it comes to that, considering his affliction is being out of shape.

Per Kyle Williams, it is not a situation where he is fat and out of shape.

GreedoII
07-21-2014, 07:51 AM
I'll just insert the obligatory EJ stinks post here....

coastal
07-21-2014, 08:15 AM
15 years

gebobs
07-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Not ideal, but mostly a non-issue unless he misses significant time in TC.

This is where someone will remind us that Bruce almost always took off training camp. As if it's relevant.

gebobs
07-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Right. That's always been the case. Has to be something more.

Woodman
07-21-2014, 03:56 PM

Kyle ok haha.

He's overweight it's as simple as that.

Goobylal
07-21-2014, 05:29 PM
This is where someone will remind us that Bruce almost always took off training camp. As if it's relevant.
You're right, it is irrelevant. But what matters when all is said and done is how he produces on the field this year. I could give a rip if he misses a few camp sessions if he has another season like last year.

chris66
07-22-2014, 08:58 AM
You're right, it is irrelevant. But what matters when all is said and done is how he produces on the field this year. I could give a rip if he misses a few camp sessions if he has another season like last year.

But even Bruce had to pass the condition test before he could practice.
These condition test are pretty straightforward. You have an allotted time to do so many wind sprints. How many and how much time between them varies by position

better days
07-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Dareus has had legal issues to deal with & has entered the NFL substance abuse program.

He will get back to work & on the field in short order.

THATHURMANATOR
07-22-2014, 09:14 AM
This means nothing to me.

TacklingDummy
07-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Lynch, Peters, and Byrd.

Up next...Dareus.

better days
07-22-2014, 09:20 AM
Lynch, Peters, and Byrd.

Up next...Dareus.

Maybe so. He has only one more year after this season on his contract & it is not guaranteed except for injury.

gebobs
07-22-2014, 10:52 AM
But even Bruce had to pass the condition test before he could practice. Exactly. Aside from his rookie or second year I think when he first encountered the Big Tree Inn chicken wings, Bruce Smith was ripped. He could miss preseason and still be in far better condition than most everyone else.

No one expects Dareus to ever approach that kind of conditioning. He is what he is. A humongous guy designed to plug holes and exert an occasional surge. And unless he dedicates himself to conditioning in the off-season, he's going to struggle come camp every year.

DraftBoy
07-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Conditioning tests are rather abstract (similar to team physicals) there is no uniform approach and you can pass or fail one based on the whim of the coaching staff.

Dareus could of "failed" the conditioning test because he wasn't going to be there yesterday (due to court) and Marrone didn't want that to be the focus/reason he wasn't practicing. Wouldn't surprise me if he passes the test today or tomorrow and is back practicing.

That's not me saying I have inside info or anything like that. Just a guess.

trapezeus
07-22-2014, 11:09 AM
he's been on a steady and pronounced decline since the late season suspensions.

and for spike, if he's trying to get out of buffalo, this isn't helping him. he'll be out of buffalo with no other option. if he performed well, we wouldn't sign him at market rates and he could go whereever he wants.

the kid is messed up and its getting worse. i expect very little out of him and i don't really think we have the depth to cover for him as he played really well in the first half of last season

GingerP
07-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Apparently he couldn't make it back to Buffalo today because of weather, so he is stuck in Alabama. When he does get back, Marrone says he will work with the strength and conditioning staff, and won't re-take his conditioning test until Thursday at the earliest.

Skooby
07-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Apparently he couldn't make it back to Buffalo today because of weather, so he is stuck in Alabama. When he does get back, Marrone says he will work with the strength and conditioning staff, and won't re-take his conditioning test until Thursday at the earliest.

Hopefully he doesn't drive anywhere there.

gebobs
07-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Seriously? Is that all it takes? A few hours in the weight room and he's goo to go?

better days
07-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Seriously? Is that all it takes? A few hours in the weight room and he's goo to go?

Yes.

Dareus is back in camp. I expect him to pass his physical conditioning test SOON.

stuckincincy
07-23-2014, 10:34 AM
Yes.

Dareus is back in camp. I expect him to pass his physical conditioning test SOON.

I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell hits him with 2 games off. His problems have been in the headlines too much.

gebobs
07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Yes.

Apparently he got on an exercise bike today! No word yet if he actually pedaled. At any rate, it looks like he's come to camp with his ears pinned back! Yeah!!

better days
07-23-2014, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Goodell hits him with 2 games off. His problems have been in the headlines too much.

His problems have been on the back pages of the sports section, they did not make any headlines except maybe in Buffalo.

He will not be suspended MANY other people have done MUCH WORSE without getting suspended.

better days
07-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Apparently he got on an exercise bike today! No word yet if he actually pedaled. At any rate, it looks like he's come to camp with his ears pinned back! Yeah!!

He can have someone else push the bike for all I care as long as he plays as well as he did last year.

gebobs
07-23-2014, 05:04 PM
He can have someone else push the bike for all I care as long as he plays as well as he did last year.

We need him to elevate his game. A lot. The bar for excellence in Buffalo is far too low.

BillsImpossible
07-23-2014, 06:56 PM
All we can hope for is that the Big MD gets his life tight and right, and takes out all of his frustrations on his NFL opponents.

I don't think Dareus deserves to be suspened. He had fake weed in his possession, which until very recently was legal in NY.

He crashed his car in a foolish drag race after practice....but how many Bills players in the past have done the same thing without such bad luck?

He didn't beat his wife. He didn't get caught passed out at a red light, drunk.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-23-2014, 07:04 PM
All we can hope for is that the Big MD gets his life tight and right, and takes out all of his frustrations on his NFL opponents.

I don't think Dareus deserves to be suspened. He had fake weed in his possession, which until very recently was legal in NY.

He crashed his car in a foolish drag race after practice....but how many Bills players in the past have done the same thing without such bad luck?

He didn't beat his wife. He didn't get caught passed out at a red light, drunk.

I couldn't give half a crap about the weed, but the drag racing was inexcusable. Dareus didn't have "bad luck" when he was drag racing, he had spectacularly good luck that he didn't hit anyone. He could be in jail with his career over if he had.

Skooby
07-23-2014, 07:15 PM
I couldn't give half a crap about the weed, but the drag racing was inexcusable. Dareus didn't have "bad luck" when he was drag racing, he had spectacularly good luck that he didn't hit anyone. He could be in jail with his career over if he had.

Who witnessed the racing, the tree?

IlluminatusUIUC
07-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Who witnessed the racing, the tree?

Are you looking for their names or something, because they aren't in the police report. https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/473837231573315584

Skooby
07-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Are you looking for their names or something, because they aren't in the police report. https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/473837231573315584

Nobody really witnessed this so it can be argued he just lost control of his car.

Goobylal
07-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Yeah and if all he hit was a tree, it probably wasn't all that busy on that street.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Nobody really witnessed this

There are eyewitnesses in the report.

so it can be argued he just lost control of his car.

Duh, nobody questioned that he lost control of his car. Do you think he rammed the tree on purpose? As far as I can tell that's a 45 zone, so for him to leave the roadway, cross grass, a parking lot, and hit a tree -all on dry pavement in May - would involve either a completely catastrophic brake failure or... a very high rate of speed, well above the legal limit.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Yeah and if all he hit was a tree, it probably wasn't all that busy on that street.

That speaks to his good fortune, not his good sense. It was 3 PM on a friday, so I'll defer to the locals to say if that's a notably low traffic time, but if you look at where the tree was that he struck, he could have hit the restaurant.

https://lintvwivb.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/jaguar3.jpg

Mace
07-23-2014, 10:16 PM

I'm thinking 6, borderline 8. He has team record issues last year, doubled it up this offseason. His problems have been in the headlines just enough. I think the car "concern" about got on everyones last nerve, and his personal mentor, Mommy Marrone isn't helping him any.

Skooby
07-24-2014, 04:08 AM
I'm thinking 6, borderline 8. He has team record issues last year, doubled it up this offseason. His problems have been in the headlines just enough. I think the car "concern" about got on everyones last nerve, and his personal mentor, Mommy Marrone isn't helping him any.

Would you like to bet your 57,000 ZB on that ?? I'll take 5 games or less suspension for him based on him not getting arrested again or charged with any new substance violations by the league before the season starts.

BuffaloRedleg
07-24-2014, 04:29 AM

Troll! We hate you now!

Goobylal
07-24-2014, 08:07 AM
I'll bet you any amount of money you want he doesn't even get 4 games.

Goobylal
07-24-2014, 08:11 AM
That speaks to his good fortune, not his good sense. It was 3 PM on a friday, so I'll defer to the locals to say if that's a notably low traffic time, but if you look at where the tree was that he struck, he could have hit the restaurant.

https://lintvwivb.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/jaguar3.jpg
I'm sure it was low traffic time because even though he was being stupid, he doesn't want to die. He might also have had enough control to direct the car to the tree, so as to avoid the restaurant. At that (NFL) level of play, you have incredible reflexes and reaction time (vision).

Skooby
07-24-2014, 08:42 AM
I'll bet you any amount of money you want he doesn't even get 4 games.

Yeah, now we will get silence.