PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Watkins gives Bills a mild scare

Fletch
07-21-2014, 09:49 PM
“He shows that,” Marrone said regarding Watkins’ fearlessness. “He’s made a very good career for himself, in college, being able to go over the middle. That’s always a big test when you get to this level to make sure you can come over the middle. He’s a fearless player and, again, at the same time you have to be smart when you do that.”

Sometimes I have to wonder what Whaley is smoking. It's good siht whatever it is.

We've read a lot about Watkins, but what hit me about Whaley's quote is that I don't recall reading much of anything about how Watkins had superlatives in his play "over the middle," much less "made a good career for himself ... being able to go over the middle," rather most draft previews stated it as a weakness of his along with his defensive reads and route running.

From nfl.com's review:

Weaknesses

Production results heavily from a gimmicky offense. Routes could use some more polish. Does not consistently work the middle of the field. Could improve field awareness.

I guess it's easy to see Whaley's enthusiasm when it's based on non-existent things.

Fletch
07-21-2014, 10:08 PM
From everything we've read, Watkins made a name for himself on bubble screens, something that will not work nearly as effectively in the NFL.

One place where he didn't make a name for himself, and for which I'm still awaiting the rationalization as to why not given his blazing speed and unprecedented moves, is in the return game where he was not good at Clemson.

As they say, something's not adding up here. A player with those kinds of open field moves and such speed should have been able to do better than a pathetic 22.9 yards-per-return on KOs and 3.8 on PRs.

Ginger Vitis
07-21-2014, 10:32 PM
And in other news a well respected poster on this site who has attended 90% of the Bills training Camp practices in the last 10 years just claimed Watkins was by far the best player in practice today

Night Train
07-22-2014, 04:26 AM
Drafting him was all part...of the conspiracy !

YardRat
07-22-2014, 05:00 AM
Haters will hate.

TedMock
07-22-2014, 05:04 AM
Also from NFL.com

"He displays exceptional body control getting in and out of breaks, and shows outstanding short area burst running away from defenders at the top of routes. Watkins capably runs all of the routes on the route tree, but he is at his best running vertical routes or shallow crossers that allow him to take advantage of his outstanding straight-line speed. Watching Watkins terrorize defenses throughout his career, he has routinely hurt opponents on deep balls and "catch and run" routes over the middle of the field."

I'm not siding with either opinion right now. It's just interesting how two analysts with the same company have exact opposite opinions of the same guy.

YardRat
07-22-2014, 05:19 AM
Where does the 'mild scare' part of the thread title fit in with the OP?

trapezeus
07-22-2014, 07:08 AM
This thread wins a couple Mitchmurray points for having a thread title that doesn't match the body.

watkins seems to be highly regarded by most analysts and coaches. the worries you have are so minimal and unlikely. we get that you like ripping on the bills, fletch.

the real worry about watkins is that EJ doesn't develop and get him the ball in space and watkins is a 500 yard receiver with 3-6 TD. If EJ can develop chemistry and get him the ball on the move, i think we all believe watkins will live up to the hype.

i also think the biggest risk to watkins is injury risk in training camp. if a bills fan isn't worried about it, then they haven't been bills fans for a very long time.

coastal
07-22-2014, 07:52 AM
Fletch karma

imbondz
07-22-2014, 08:05 AM

thats what I was going to ask. I thought he almost got injured or something.

ParanoidAndroid
07-22-2014, 08:09 AM
He got poked in the eye and sat on the sideline for a bit.

CoolBreeze
07-22-2014, 10:08 AM
This thread wins a couple Mitchmurray points for having a thread title that doesn't match the body.

watkins seems to be highly regarded by most analysts and coaches. the worries you have are so minimal and unlikely. we get that you like ripping on the bills, fletch.

the real worry about watkins is that EJ doesn't develop and get him the ball in space and watkins is a 500 yard receiver with 3-6 TD. If EJ can develop chemistry and get him the ball on the move, i think we all believe watkins will live up to the hype.

i also think the biggest risk to watkins is injury risk in training camp. if a bills fan isn't worried about it, then they haven't been bills fans for a very long time.

I pray for Watkins health, Manuels as well.

feldspar
07-22-2014, 12:01 PM

More delusion from our old pal Fletch.

Mr. Pink
07-22-2014, 12:19 PM
It was said on GR that he landed awkwardly and took a few minutes to get up and walk off on his power.

But I see that had nothing to do with this thread and considering he got up on his own and then continued to participate it's nothing to worry about.

It would be a mild scare at the time though.

Dr. Who
07-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Sam Wyche on NFL Network said that Watkins reminds him of a 3rd year Roddy White. Must be some gimmick.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
07-22-2014, 11:25 PM
From everything we've read, Watkins made a name for himself on bubble screens, something that will not work nearly as effectively in the NFL.

One place where he didn't make a name for himself, and for which I'm still awaiting the rationalization as to why not given his blazing speed and unprecedented moves, is in the return game where he was not good at Clemson.

As they say, something's not adding up here. A player with those kinds of open field moves and such speed should have been able to do better than a pathetic 22.9 yards-per-return on KOs and 3.8 on PRs.

It's a team sport, mate.

BuffaloRedleg
07-23-2014, 02:43 AM
For ****s sake dude give it a rest. This season can't start soon enough so EJ can throw ducks at him and you can say you were right about how Watkins sucks.

Your shtick around here is getting really old.