PDA

View Full Version : Do The Bills Like Jeff Tuel More Than EJ Manuel?

BillsImpossible
07-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Don't shoot the cabbie!

Tuel took 2nd string reps tonight, and did well.

EJ Manuel did not do well. He got picked by an undrafted rookie, had a couple of nice passes, and threw a horrible pass or three.

Has anyone seen or even heard about a passing TD in 5 training camp practices?

Mark Kelso went out of his way to mention how Tuel made the proper reads on defense, and John Murphy said something along the lines of, "the best the offense has looked," and then caught himself in mid sentence.

Manuel struggles in the pocket. His footwork remains a work in progress, and he has not improved his accuracy.

If it weren't for Sammy Watkins and his incredible receiving skills, Manuel's completion percentage in training camp would be 50% at best.

I think there will soon be a competition for the starting quarterback job in Buffalo.

Fire away.

jamze132
07-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Tuel looked good last year's camp too.

As far as EJ is concerned, you either come into the NFL with accuracy or you don't. You don't just one day in your early to mid twenties after playing QB all of your life wake up one day and can suddenly throw the ball where you want. EJ has never been "accurate" and never will be.

Goobylal
07-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Tuel was picked by some dude named Kamaal McIlwain. Who you asked? Yep.

better days
07-25-2014, 09:21 PM
It will be remarkable if Tuel overtakes Lewis for the back up QB job.

Novacane
07-25-2014, 10:21 PM
Of course they like him better than EJ! Who wouldn't like the next Tom Brady better?

swiper
07-26-2014, 04:56 AM
Both Tuel and Lewis struggled yesterday in the 5th day of camp. I wouldn't get overly excited about the Bills back-up QBs at this point.

sudzy
07-26-2014, 05:07 AM
I wouldn't get overly excited about the Bills back-up QBs at this point.

Or the QB situation in general.

Night Train
07-26-2014, 05:38 AM
:rolleyes:

kishoph
07-26-2014, 06:54 AM
Don't shoot the cabbie!

Has anyone seen or even heard about a passing TD in 5 training camp practices?

Maybe watch Bills roundup once in a while before asking such an asinine questions. There have been plenty of passes that would/could of been TD's. Two days in a row Manuel hit Watkins on 70 yd. TD's that were perfectly placed, yet no one mentions it because there seems to be more people that like to dwell on every negative play or pass and downplay everything that is positive It's those kind of attitudes that are turning much of society into a bunch of cynical *******s that think they are entitled to everything (CAS).

coastal
07-26-2014, 08:09 AM
Good thing we have a first round draft pick next year to get another QB

Goobylal
07-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Good thing we have a first round draft pick next year to get another QB
If the Bills don't do well and do their usual picking at spot 10-11 again, they wouldn't be in position to take a stud QB next year anyway.

coastal
07-26-2014, 08:18 AM
Only I should be licensed to use the word "stud".

It sounds totally gay when the rest of u use it.

BertSquirtgum
07-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Only I should be licensed to use the word "stud".

It sounds totally gay when the rest of u use it.

No

coastal
07-26-2014, 09:24 AM
No
You want to thank my post.

I know.

The last buffalo fan
07-26-2014, 09:37 AM

I know.

:spit: :bow:

TacklingDummy
07-26-2014, 11:24 AM

As far as EJ is concerned, you either come into the NFL with accuracy or you don't. You don't just one day in your early to mid twenties after playing QB all of your life wake up one day and can suddenly throw the ball where you want. EJ has never been "accurate" and never will be.

:clap:

And we can't even replace him with our early 1st round draft position.

Albany,n.y.
07-26-2014, 11:42 AM
If the Bills don't do well and do their usual picking at spot 10-11 again, they wouldn't be in position to take a stud QB next year anyway.

They'll trade up from pick 42 to number 1.

stuckincincy
07-26-2014, 11:45 AM
They'll trade up from pick 42 to number 1.

Why not? Deficit spending in the rule of the land... :scooter:

BillsImpossible
07-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Maybe watch Bills roundup once in a while before asking such an asinine questions. There have been plenty of passes that would/could of been TD's. Two days in a row Manuel hit Watkins on 70 yd. TD's that were perfectly placed, yet no one mentions it because there seems to be more people that like to dwell on every negative play or pass and downplay everything that is positive It's those kind of attitudes that are turning much of society into a bunch of cynical *******s that think they are entitled to everything (CAS).

Two 70 yard bombs to Watkins, the media says nada and then goes ape crap over a one handed catch. I agree.

Negative plays outweigh the positive, unfortunately. If EJ wasn't making bad mistakes, the media might bark at those 70 yard bombs.

BillsImpossible
07-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Both Tuel and Lewis struggled yesterday in the 5th day of camp. I wouldn't get overly excited about the Bills back-up QBs at this point.

Take away Sammy Watkins from EJ Manuel and wonder how this training camp would look without him.

kishoph
07-26-2014, 07:51 PM

So if you come into the NFL with bad mechanics and a good QB coach helps you correct them, your accuracy won't improve ? It's a myth that accuracy can't be improved.

WagonCircler
07-26-2014, 08:13 PM
So if you come into the NFL with bad mechanics and a good QB coach helps you correct them, your accuracy won't improve ? It's a myth that accuracy can't be improved.

It's not that simple. And EJ has failed to fix his poor mechanics over a full college career and most of one season in the NFL.

In addition to mechanics, you need naturally superior hand-eye coordination and depth perception, as well as split second decision making ability.

He is obviously deficient in some areas that can't be accounted for with simply poor mechanics. I was in the front row yesterday and saw him throw a pass in the backfield that missed by ten yards. Not under pressure, just rolling out. He also missed horribly down the left sideline by at least ten yards. Again, in a half speed drill with no one trying to tackle him.

He is what he is, and that's very bad news for Bills fans.

Thankfully Terry Pegula will hire a football version of Tim Murray and oust the football version of Darcy Regeir and start from scratch. The tank will be very easy.

Mace
07-26-2014, 08:28 PM

Agree about Tuel, not sure about the Manuel part regarding accuracy. To be clear, I don't have a clue how he'll turn out this year. Someone, maybe Parcells, said you need look for at least 60% to find a viable QB.

EJ has never been accurate ? 66.9 avg completion percentage in college, lowest was 65.1%. Dink and dunk factor, yards per attempt average, 8.6.

Peyton Manning, 62.5% avg completion percentage in college, lowest was 60.2% senior year. Dink and dunk factor, yards per attempt 8.1%.

Rookie Manuel, confused season, injuries, 58.8%, 6.4 y/a.

Rookie Peyton, 56.7%, 6.5 y/a.

Peyton's career percentage to date is 65.5%, 7.7 y/a. League record is Pennington 66%, followed by Warner (65.9%) excluding active players Brees and Rodgers atm.

Don't know why people keep saying Manuel has "never" been accurate, isn't true. Can't write off his accuracy yet. For that matter, Jim Kelly was a successful pro QB, went to 4 super bowls, is in the hall of fame, and has a life time completion percentage of 60.1%, was 55.6% in college, 59.4% his rookie year (with USFL experience even).

Manuel's durability is the issue to me and his ability to learn the offense and process reads efficiently on a pro level. 2nd year is when you find that part out.

Tuel and Lewis ? Tuel had a great camp last year, was terrible in games. Lewis impressed me. Good arm, took vicious hits, mostly always got up again, learned fast, looked not totally lost at the pro level.

I have a feeling we'll find out how that works out too.

Do they like Tuel more than Manuel ? Heh.

Like Coastal said, no number one next year if it works out bad. Hope and pray it clicks for Manuel. But the accuracy thing is not is issue atm, imho.

better days
07-27-2014, 10:36 AM
It's not that simple. And EJ has failed to fix his poor mechanics over a full college career and most of one season in the NFL.

In addition to mechanics, you need naturally superior hand-eye coordination and depth perception, as well as split second decision making ability.

He is obviously deficient in some areas that can't be accounted for with simply poor mechanics. I was in the front row yesterday and saw him throw a pass in the backfield that missed by ten yards. Not under pressure, just rolling out. He also missed horribly down the left sideline by at least ten yards. Again, in a half speed drill with no one trying to tackle him.

He is what he is, and that's very bad news for Bills fans.

Thankfully Terry Pegula will hire a football version of Tim Murray and oust the football version of Darcy Regeir and start from scratch. The tank will be very easy.

I don't doubt you have seen Manuel make some terrible throws.

But we have also seen him make some good/great throws.

So the question about him aside from his ability to stay healthy is his consistency.

So can consistency be improved upon?

I think it can myself.

BillsImpossible
07-27-2014, 01:10 PM

Tim Tebow agrees.

stuckincincy
07-27-2014, 01:57 PM

How is that done? To what extent? I'd ask for examples of QBs that were coached up, but that is a loaded question. Many an iffy qb has blossomed thanks to OL, receiver, scheme improvements, shining in game situations and so on. Add in OCs trying to shine their resumes to get a head coaching gig. See Jay Gruden.

For me, after the high school and college years, some qbs have the talent to thread the needle - and some of them can't sniff a defense out to save their souls. Some of them can make "all the throws" - but have the pocket presence of a torpid frog laying on a rock in the sun.

Some qbs have great analytical minds that make up for lousy raw talent - the Jeff Garcias, the Gus Frerottes and so on that got gigs years after year. They had to have something that gave them their long careers.

Sure qb coaches can add. Babysitters, at the least. But good luck training a player to digest things and employ them in 4 or 5 seconds. I'd work on fancying up a qbs fancy footwork more than their arm. Sniff, roll out. Remain a threat. You can preach launching off this or that foot, which is ok, but things happen fast and if the plan is to make your qb think outside of his pass arm reactions, well, I think there will be a problem.

Manuel has it or he doesn't. We shall see.

:2cents:

BertSquirtgum
07-27-2014, 03:58 PM

I know.

No