PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Bledsoe...

Nighthawk
07-16-2003, 08:01 PM
I love how some people bash him on his play in the late season and forget to mention that the defense was one of the worst at getting turnovers. When this happens, it makes the offense have to go a longer distance to score, i.e. - no short field! What do you think Drew's numbers would have been had the defense done anything? Oh yeah, please don't come at me that the defense improved greatly at the end of the season, because if you look at all of the games (at the end of the season) which they did well in...they were all cold weather, bad condition games. I'm thinking that had more to do with their improvement than the coaching. Now I'm not blind, Bledsoe didn't play his best, but maybe, just maybe, his torrid start set our expectations a little higher than they should have been. Could he have played better, sure, but it gets to a point where the constant bashing by a certain unnamed individual (Wys) gets to the stalking point! I mean what is your obsession with bashing this guy? Everybody knows he isn't the best QB in the league, but I'm sure glad to have him over a number of other QB's. So let's just relax a bit and get ready for the upcoming season.

Ok, I'm done...Oxygen please!!!
:freako:

WG
07-16-2003, 08:31 PM
:rolleyes:

:deadhorse:

Whose fault was the INT in the K.C. game w/ ~ 4 minutes left when we were trailing by 1?

Guess what? If we win that game, w/ even a FG which we were nearly in range for, then we're 9-7, right?

Whose fault was it?

BTW, sunny, about 50 degrees!!

What about the Oakland game, whose fault was that INT to Buchanon, a rookie, while we were down by only 4 w/ ~ 8 minutes left in the game?

Was the D at fault for that TD?

How about the INT on the very next drive w/ the game still within reach?

Whose fault was it?

BTW, weather was Sunny and ~ 64!!

Nighthawk
07-16-2003, 08:38 PM
I don't believe that I said the weather affected Bledsoe, did I? I simply stated that the defense was helped by the weather late in the year. Listen, I agree some of Bledsoe's mistakes probably cost us, but I will bet you that the defense's play for most of the year hurt us more!

BillsFever
07-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Our offense is what missed us the playoffs the last 8 games of the year. All them points and yards we put up early on, only put us in the middle of the pack at the end of the year. That tells the story if you ask me.

After what I saw from Drew during and after the New England games makes me think we'll never win anything with him as our QB. If he gets ruined from a spanking to an ex-coach, he'll never get us to the promise land.

The Natrix
07-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I don't care what you say. I know I saw improvement in the D the last three games. Get your head out of Bledsoe's. Ha Ha, don't give the Bills D credit for their inspired play the last three games. What more did you want them to do during the Green Bay game, especially with their talent level on the field? Bledsoe was given numerous chances to make a play in that game. He buckled at Lambeau when mathematical playoff chances were still there, plain and simple.

Stewie
07-16-2003, 09:10 PM
That Green Bay game wasn't just Bledsoe's fault. Travis and the OL couldn't get any push at all that game. Peerless dropped a bomb late in the game to put Buffalo in FG territory when they were still only down 3. Bledsoe had some bad throws, but so did Brett Favre.

The maain reason the Packers won that game was because the ref's blew an Ahman Green fumble returned by the bills defense for a TD. The next play was a Favre touchdown. That put the Pack up 10-0 instead of Buffalo up 7-3.

Stewie
07-16-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by paulB
Peerless dropped a bomb late in the game to put Buffalo in FG territory when they were still only down 3.

they better get used to this in hotlanta

:lol!:

Doc
07-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

Whose fault was the INT in the K.C. game w/ ~ 4 minutes left when we were trailing by 1?

Guess what? If we win that game, w/ even a FG which we were nearly in range for, then we're 9-7, right?

Whose fault was it?

I don't know. Warfield was able to watch the ball sail his way and Price did NOTHING to stop him. Maybe the fault was with Gilbride calling a pass play instead of running the ball? Maybe it was the refs who lost the game for the Bills because they displayed lopsided officiating that was so blatant a KC sportswriter even admitted the Chefs got a gift?

What about the Oakland game, whose fault was that INT to Buchanon, a rookie, while we were down by only 4 w/ ~ 8 minutes left in the game?

Whose fault was it?

Uh yeah, when your defense can't stop the opposition from scoring 50 thousand points, it's ALL your QB's fault for not scoring 50 thousand and one points. Good one Wys. Again I'd like to hear your criticisms (or excuses) for why Kelly spit the bed in the SB's.

SABURZFAN
07-16-2003, 11:08 PM

Whose fault was it?

Whose fault was it?

yep...i guess we were better off with rob johnson taking the sacks.:rolleyes:

WG
07-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Nighthawk
I don't believe that I said the weather affected Bledsoe, did I? I simply stated that the defense was helped by the weather late in the year. Listen, I agree some of Bledsoe's mistakes probably cost us, but I will bet you that the defense's play for most of the year hurt us more!

OK then. The last 10 games:

7: D held Miami to only 10 points; weather, Sunny/85

8: D held Detroit to only 17 points; weather, Cloudy/47

9: 1st N. E. game :puke: all the way around!

10: D held K.C. (the best O in the league) to only 17 points; weather, Sunny/48

11: D held the Jets to 325 total net yards; The two shortest Jets' fields were on consecutive Bledsoe INTs in the first quarter; Bills O, the one that we lost in spite of, scored 13 whopping points on the day! Weather, Cloudy/47

12: Cold weather game/near blizzard conditions

13: D "allowed" 27 points, however, 17 of those were off Offensive TOs, one, a Drew INT setting the Pats up at the Bills 9 YL, and the second, a Price fumble setting the Pats up at the Bills 28! BOTH resulting in Pat TDs! The Bills held the Pats to only 275 total yards that day! Drew also threw an INT on 2nd-and-1 at the Pats' 1 YL!!! HELLO!!! Why did we lose that game??? Weather, Partly cloudy/44

14: The D held Tomlinson to 110 yards and less than 4 YPC and held S.D. to 292 total yards. Weather, light rain/36

15: Terrible winds; the D held the Pack to only 223 yards; The only Pack TD came off of a Drew fumble setting them up at the Bills' 39 YL. Weather, windy/27

16: D allowed only 9 points; weather, mostly cloudy, 35 A seemingly nice day for Buffalo in December!

So again Nighthawk, there's a very large gap here between reality and perception, right! As you can plainly see, weather was only a significant factor in two games, 2! 1-1 in those games.

In fact, if you look at the game summaries, which I just did while doing this post, you'll see something quite interesting. In most games, the BIG difference between the play of the two teams, is Drew's TOs/INTs! Really.

I'll start another thread outlining...

WG
07-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by SABURZFAN

yep...i guess we were better off with rob johnson taking the sacks.:rolleyes:

Great argument! Your polemical abilities are to be praised!

Don't give up your day job to become any sort of analyst, eh...

SABURZFAN
07-16-2003, 11:37 PM
that's ok.you REALLY don't have to.:snicker2:

SABURZFAN
07-16-2003, 11:38 PM

Don't give up your day job to become any sort of analyst, eh...

i'll try not to.

Jan Reimers
07-17-2003, 06:49 AM
I think we need to see what Drew can do with a more balanced offense - hopefully, one that runs and throws about equally - and an improved defense. Let's not kill him based on last year, when the defense stunk and Gilbride abandoned the run far too early and often.

ryven
07-17-2003, 07:03 AM
The simple fact is that bledsoe made mistakes, but the D really didn't help until the last three games and one or two the rest of the time. That means the offense had to carry the team and drew is not a machine he will tire(sp?) out by the end of the season. I guess what im trying to say is yes we got spanked by the pats but was or D there to help drew when he needed it so IMO it wasn't just drew that went 8-8 it was the hole team and if you want to blame anyone for the offense the last half look to gilbride through the whole season he keeped the pass happy O instead of making changes.

TedMock
07-17-2003, 11:49 AM
I agree that the D improved greatly toward the middle/end of last season and Bledsoe's play dropped. Don't forget though that without Bledsoe we lose to Minnesota, Chicago, Houston and probably the 2nd Miami game and we're not even in the Denver and Oakland games. He threw 2 crucial picks against Oakland, 3 total (1 which was just plain stupid) but we still lost by 18 points. Now, we probably win games had he not made foolish mistakes in other games such as KC, NE and GreenBay. I put part blame on him for the Jets game but c'mon 2 return TD's has got to put the bulk of the blame on ST's....that's the most unacceptable thing in Football. He did set them up with a real bad pick though...that's true. As far as sacks go, part are his fault, part are the fault of OL and RB blocking....ie. 4 of the GB sacks in which he or anybody else didn't stand a chance. JJ was injured and he was taken to lunch horribly. Speaking of the GB game.....what a disappointment that was all around. Not just for Bill and Packs fans but for fans all over America who tuned in to see the "Favre vs. Bledsoe" shootout! Bledsoe threw for 179 yards, 0 TD's, 2 picks and a 41.3 rating while Favre tossed 114 yards, 1TD, 2 picks and a 39 rating. Woo Hoo!! That was the ugliest game I'd ever seen.

Novacane
07-17-2003, 12:31 PM
This entire arguement is really getting stupid IMO. Bledsoe had a good first half............rotten second half................Defense had a rotten first half.................good second half. Both sides of the ball were responsible for us missing the playoffs. Nuff Said.

Nighthawk
07-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Perception is something that you (Wys) like to twist and turn with numbers. Hey, Marino had great numbers...how many Super Bowls did he win again??? *****, how many did he get to? Come on Wys, all I'm saying is get over it, Bledsoe is here to stay and no matter how many times you say you dislike him, he still is going to be our QB. As far as the defense is concerned, if they were soooooo much better in the second half, why was the primary focus of Donohoe in free agency the defense? I mean, going by your logic, they were just about to turn the corner and be the next great defense! So, Donohoe must be stupid then, correct?

superbills
07-17-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
This entire arguement is really getting stupid IMO. Bledsoe had a good first half............rotten second half................Defense had a rotten first half.................good second half. Both sides of the ball were responsible for us missing the playoffs. Nuff Said.

:bf1:
Someone actually DOES get it!