PDA

View Full Version : Terry with the Early Lead

Mike
07-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Early Reports show that, Sabres owner, Terry Pegula, is in early lead with non-binding bid of $1.3 Billion. The Toronto group, headed by Bon Jovi, came in second with a reported bid of $1.2 Billion. Bid from Galizino is unclear and Trump made a public statement that he is mostly likely out.

Top 2 Bids:

1) Terry Pegula: $1.3 Billion
2) Toronto Group: #1.2 Billion

* Its important to remember that these are non-binding and that top bitter will get to see the Bills Financial Statements. After statements are disclosed more negotiations will occur until a deal is brokered. Final purchase price will change from these preliminary numbers and its good to see how invested Terry Pegula is in purchasing the Bills.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buffalo-bills-news/2014/7/29/5950485/buffalo-bills-sale-terry-pegula-jon-bon-jovi-initial-bids

ServoBillieves
07-30-2014, 11:13 AM
1) Wants to keep the team in WNY
2) Highest bid.

... I know it's not that easy but looks pretty cut and dry as the front runner for me.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Well that's honestly closer then I thought it would be.

Wonder if either bid pushes to 1.5 for the final bid.

Ed
07-30-2014, 11:24 AM
1) Wants to keep the team in WNY
2) Highest bid.

... I know it's not that easy but looks pretty cut and dry as the front runner for me.
3) Is committed to investing in and improving Buffalo.
4) Already owns and has experience running a professional sports franchise.
5) Is a sound businessman.

This guy is such a slam dunk that it doesn't make any sense for him not to be the owner.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 11:26 AM
3) Is committed to investing in and improving Buffalo.
4) Already owns and has experience running a professional sports franchise.
5) Is a sound businessman.

This guy is such a slam dunk that it doesn't make any sense for him not to be the owner.

Doesn't the Toronto Group technically have 4 and 5 as well?

Forward_Lateral
07-30-2014, 11:34 AM
The NFL seems to have a general preference for single owners instead of groups.

Not saying that means much, but it's something.

Ed
07-30-2014, 11:35 AM
Sure, but I don't think they have 1-3 right now. My point is I just don't see any flaws with Pegula, so why wouldn't he be the perfect option for this franchise?

jimmifli
07-30-2014, 11:37 AM
6) has history of underfunding rosters and milking teams for profit.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 11:40 AM
6) has history of underfunding rosters and milking teams for profit.

Is that supposed to be a negative to the NFL?

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but I don't think they have 1-3 right now. My point is I just don't see any flaws with Pegula, so why wouldn't he be the perfect option for this franchise?

I didn't say he wouldn't be, I'm simply saying some of your factors apply to both bidders.

Ed
07-30-2014, 11:54 AM
Is that supposed to be a negative to the NFL?

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't say he wouldn't be, I'm simply saying some of your factors apply to both bidders.
Right, and I'm not saying that the Toronto group doesn't have strong ownership qualities, I was just agreeing with Servo that Pegula seems like the clear front runner for a number of reasons. I guess the question for me now is does the Toronto group bring anything to the table that Pegula does not? I can't think of anything that would make them a better option or give them an advantage, assuming the money is the same or close.

swiper
07-30-2014, 12:02 PM
LOL @ some people wishing and magical thinking their way into getting the owner they want.

bleve
07-30-2014, 12:12 PM
I wonder if anyone of these guys will be in Canton this weekend.

Ed
07-30-2014, 12:16 PM
LOL @ some people wishing and magical thinking their way into getting the owner they want.
Magical thinking? We're basically down to only two realistic bidders and the guy everyone wants just submitted the highest initial bid. The numbers are what they are, it's not magic.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Right, and I'm not saying that the Toronto group doesn't have strong ownership qualities, I was just agreeing with Servo that Pegula seems like the clear front runner for a number of reasons. I guess the question for me now is does the Toronto group bring anything to the table that Pegula does not? I can't think of anything that would make them a better option or give them an advantage, assuming the money is the same or close.

Outside of the celebratory status of Bon Jovi? Not really.

In the end nothing is going to matter but that dollar amount though.

WagonCircler
07-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Outside of the celebratory status of Bon Jovi? Not really.

In the end nothing is going to matter but that dollar amount though.

That's incredibly naive thinking. If you don't think there are complicating factors other than the money, you're blind.

It's not like Pegula is bidding $900 MIL while the TO group is bidding $1.2 BIL. For starters, he's already bidding more. And more importantly, he has the ability to go beyond $1.5 BIL.

When you add that to the political nightmare that guys like Schumer would rain down on the league for selling to a group that would relocate the team, this is basically over.

So sorry to disappoint you.

better days
07-30-2014, 12:46 PM
That's incredibly naive thinking. If you don't think there are complicating factors other than the money, you're blind.

It's not like Pegula is bidding $900 MIL while the TO group is bidding $1.2 BIL. For starters, he's already bidding more. And more importantly, he has the ability to go beyond $1.5 BIL.

When you add that to the political nightmare that guys like Schumer would rain down on the league for selling to a group that would relocate the team, this is basically over.

Well, I am HAPPY, not sorry people that expected the Bills to move will SOON be disappointed.

I can't wait to LMAO at them.

tampabay25690
07-30-2014, 12:48 PM

Wonder if either bid pushes to 1.5 for the final bid.

I think that's what it will end up being or at least around that.

tampabay25690
07-30-2014, 12:49 PM
The NFL seems to have a general preference for single owners instead of groups.

Not saying that means much, but it's something.

The NFL will have so much more say then we all know of...

better days
07-30-2014, 01:00 PM
I think that's what it will end up being or at least around that.

I think it depends on how much money the Toronto group has.

The Toronto Sun reported that they don't have the money to go much over one Billion.

They may not have the money to bid over the $1.3 Billion Pegula already bid.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Yes I'm sure all the warm and fuzzy feelings will play into it...

For starters? How about that's all that matters.

Really Chuck Schumer? You mean the US Senator from Brooklyn who got 70% and 67% of the popular vote in 2004 and 2010? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Why would I be disappointed? I want the Bills to stay in Buffalo.

WagonCircler
07-30-2014, 01:11 PM

Really Chuck Schumer? You mean the US Senator from Brooklyn who got 70% and 67% of the popular vote in 2004 and 2010? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, really, Chuck Schumer. He is one of the most powerful members of Congress and he would not hesitate for a millisecond to make an issue of the NFL's lack of an anti-trust exemption. He has the power to rain hell on the NFL and on any group intent on moving this franchise.

I think you're just like Felch and Spikey. I think you're rooting for the Bills to move because you just love to be a dick.

better days
07-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Yes, really, Chuck Schumer. He is one of the most powerful members of Congress and he would not hesitate for a millisecond to make an issue of the NFL's lack of an anti-trust exemption. He has the power to rain hell on the NFL and on any group intent on moving this franchise.

I think you're just like Felch and Spikey. I think you're rooting for the Bills to move because you just love to be a dick.

And Schumer has already made it known he will do everything in his power to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

cookie G
07-30-2014, 01:16 PM

That's actually something Bill Polian brought up a month or two ago.

He said there is one thing the NFL owners are afraid of, its losing their preferential treatment in antitrust laws.

And he further said that if the Bills move out of the country...there will be people in Washington (without mentioning Schumer specifically) who would be ready to come down on teh NFL. That's why he didn't think a Toronto group had a chance at a franchise that would be moved outside the US.

Bill Cody
07-30-2014, 01:17 PM

I agree

swiper
07-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Magical thinking? We're basically down to only two realistic bidders and the guy everyone wants just submitted the highest initial bid. The numbers are what they are, it's not magic.

Really? What have the Bills said about any of this?

Turf
07-30-2014, 01:22 PM
I'm guessing Golisano is backing out because he knows Pegula will outbid him and he doesn't want to waste the money. Also Golisano sees his ownership as more of a charity to keep the team here, while Pegula wants it.
Pegula is the clear leader and has the resume as an owner that is an A+. And he may even turn a profit on this, while the Sabres are questionable as far as making money.

Skooby
07-30-2014, 01:30 PM
The numbers will not help the price go up.

better days
07-30-2014, 01:53 PM

NOTHING. And nothing will be said officially until the deal is completed.

All we can go on is what well connected reporters tell us.

Ed
07-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Why do they have to say anything right now? All we're talking about are the reported initial bids. Where's the magic?

don137
07-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Can any party increase their bid amount at this point?

Forward_Lateral
07-30-2014, 02:21 PM
The NFL will have so much more say then we all know of...

I agree. I don't think we all fully understand the process. You can't just buy an NFL team. The NFL owners have to approve the purchase for 1, and then I believe the league itself has to approve it as well.

It seems that buying a team with the intentions of re-locating it would be way more hassle then it's worth, and maybe the Toronto group is going through this process in preparation for pushing for an expansion franchise.

stuckincincy
07-30-2014, 02:24 PM
, and maybe the Toronto group is going through this process in preparation for pushing for an expansion franchise.

Interesting hypothesis...

better days
07-30-2014, 02:27 PM

Absolutely, bids can be increased up until the end.

The question I have is do the Bidders know what each other is bidding?

Goobylal
07-30-2014, 02:50 PM

The next owner will be Pegula. Believe it or not, it won't change the reality.

kscdogbillsfan1221
07-30-2014, 03:07 PM
some of you idiots who keep trying to convince yourselves and others and harping on how the team is gonna move (because you're sadistic a**holes who aren't actually fans of the team) can hopefully give it a f***ing rest now.

go away

WagonCircler
07-30-2014, 03:34 PM

If, by any party, you mean the three bidders that submitted bids yesterday, then yes. These are non-binding, qualifying bids. Once the field is narrowed down, which now seems to have occurred naturally, the competitive negotiations start.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 04:12 PM

Ah I misread your original point, thought you were saying the blowback on Schumer would be intense. I question what he's going to do from the Rules Committee. What he has said basically equates to what Hatch used to do with the NCAA.

If I wanted to be a dick about this whole thing, I'd be among those idiotically calling Buffalo a dying city and the region struggling. Not talking about its 2013 Population Increase, its growing economy, and the genuine growth that is taking place.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 04:20 PM
That's actually something Bill Polian brought up a month or two ago.

He said there is one thing the NFL owners are afraid of, its losing their preferential treatment in antitrust laws.

And he further said that if the Bills move out of the country...there will be people in Washington (without mentioning Schumer specifically) who would be ready to come down on teh NFL. That's why he didn't think a Toronto group had a chance at a franchise that would be moved outside the US.

What is Schumer going to do from the Senate Rules Committee though? This makes great press, but let's look at this realistically. He's gotta get Wynden to go after the NFL which isn't going to be an easy sell, and that's assuming that in November the Democrats even hold the Senate which right now looks like it won't happen. Then he's gotta get a Republican (right now Hatch) to go after the NFL and considering he's from Utah (which would like an expansion team in Salt Lake City if the NFL ever expands again) I don't see that going much of anywhere.

Can you imagine the reaction if the US Senate actually took away the NFL's anti-trust exemption because the NFL allowed a team to move?

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 04:22 PM
If, by any party, you mean the three bidders that submitted bids yesterday, then yes. These are non-binding, qualifying bids. Once the field is narrowed down, which now seems to have occurred naturally, the competitive negotiations start.

There was something in Kryk's piece last night that said that its possible the Trust could re-open the bidding period and accept more bids. It was far from a definite but I guess there has been some pushback on the bidding process.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/29/former-sabres-owner-golisano-didnt-submit-bid-to-buy-bills

So what does the trust do now? Advance all three bidders to the finalist round? Cut down to just two? Or quietly extend the deadline for first bids?

The trust can alter dates, deadlines and procedures in the sale process at any time, however it sees fit.

The trust has set aside next week and the week after to meet individually with finalist bidders. After that, finalists were scheduled to be asked to submit binding, final bids.

better days
07-30-2014, 04:23 PM
What is Schumer going to do from the Senate Rules Committee though? This makes great press, but let's look at this realistically. He's gotta get Wynden to go after the NFL which isn't going to be an easy sell, and that's assuming that in November the Democrats even hold the Senate which right now looks like it won't happen. Then he's gotta get a Republican (right now Hatch) to go after the NFL and considering he's from Utah (which would like an expansion team in Salt Lake City if the NFL ever expands again) I don't see that going much of anywhere.

Can you imagine the reaction if the US Senate actually took away the NFL's anti-trust exemption because the NFL allowed a team to move?

The THREAT is ENOUGH. It will give the NFL pause.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 04:26 PM
The THREAT is ENOUGH. It will give the NFL pause.

Yea I don't quite think so, and that has more to do with the political climate in Washington then anything to do with Schumer.

BertSquirtgum
07-30-2014, 04:30 PM
This made my night better. Pegula for the win and a huge party downtown with businesses everywhere and I will be staying in a hotel every home game. **** Orchard park.

better days
07-30-2014, 04:33 PM
Yea I don't quite think so, and that has more to do with the political climate in Washington then anything to do with Schumer.

Yeah, because Schumer has nothing to do with that.

Schumer knows people. If it came down to it I think he could put a lot of pressure on the NFL to make sure a move of the Bills is not allowed.

That pressure is just one more headache the NFL would have to deal with.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Yeah, because Schumer has nothing to do with that.

Schumer knows people. If it came down to it I think he could put a lot of pressure on the NFL to make sure a move of the Bills is not allowed.

That pressure is just one more headache the NFL would have to deal with.

We shall see, in the end I don't think Pegula is getting outbid so it doesn't really matter.

better days
07-30-2014, 04:38 PM
We shall see, in the end I don't think Pegula is getting outbid so it doesn't really matter.

We are in agreement about that.

Mike
07-30-2014, 05:33 PM
If Terry wins bid and owns both Sabres & Bills it would be very cool to build a Sport Complex near Lake or in Downtown. Both stadiums can be next to each other or heck, share kinda like ice bowl.

BillsImpossible
07-30-2014, 06:14 PM

$1.2 billion vs. $1.3 billion sounds close, but one man in Terry Pegula outbid the Toronto group by $100 million.

BillsImpossible
07-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Some have been wondering if other people can still bid on the team.

No. If they wanted to make a bid, the deadline was yesterday at 5:00 pm.

The window is now closed. The players have shown their cards.

The sale of the Bills will now come down to a bidding contest between Terry Pegula and the Toronto group.

Will Jon Bon & Co. raise up the ante, or admit defeat and give in to the fact that nobody in WNY wants them?

Goobylal
07-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Some have been wondering if other people can still bid on the team.

No. If they wanted to make a bid, the deadline was yesterday at 5:00 pm.

The window is now closed. The players have shown their cards.

The sale of the Bills will now come down to a bidding contest between Terry Pegula and the Toronto group.

Will Jon Bon & Co. raise up the ante, or admit defeat and give in to the fact that nobody in WNY wants them?
Actually, there is nothing to say the trust won't accept more bids. But hopefully they've closed it down and hopefully they've already selected Pegs.

BillsImpossible
07-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Actually, there is nothing to say the trust won't accept more bids. But hopefully they've closed it down and hopefully they've already selected Pegs.

That would be completely unfair and highly unethical to invite a player to the table and allow them in to the game after everyone has shown their cards.

Luisito23
07-30-2014, 06:43 PM
After all this is done and Pegula gets the team, I don't ever want to hear that POS JBJ's name ever again.

BillsImpossible
07-30-2014, 06:44 PM
And Schumer has already made it known he will do everything in his power to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

You mean, Chucky?

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/seed-chucky-box-o.jpg

OpIv37
07-30-2014, 06:59 PM

It's amazing how some of you are enamored by anyone who says they'll do anything in their power to keep the Bills in Buffalo regardless of the reality that the people saying it don't actually have the power to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

k-oneputt
07-30-2014, 07:14 PM
The anti-trust exemption is a huge issue. Schumer can be a real pain in the ass for Goodell and the NFL, and they don't want any part of that.

It's Pegula.

Meathead
07-30-2014, 07:33 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Speculation is that Pegula is willing to spend up to $1.55 billion to buy the <a rel="nofollow" href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash">#Bills</a>. He wants this and is fully committed.</p>— Buffalo Sports (@Buffalo_Sports) <a rel="nofollow" href="https://twitter.com/Buffalo_Sports/statuses/494480265809776640">July 30, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hes only willing to go up another 250 mil??

terry is cheap

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 07:33 PM
That would be completely unfair and highly unethical to invite a player to the table and allow them in to the game after everyone has shown their cards.

Its neither unfair or unethical. Its entirely up to the trust if they want to reopen the process.

WagonCircler
07-30-2014, 07:48 PM
It's amazing how some of you are enamored by anyone who says they'll do anything in their power to keep the Bills in Buffalo regardless of the reality that the people saying it don't actually have the power to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

I hate Schumer, but he has the power to c*ck block anyone who would move the team.

BillsImpossible
07-30-2014, 07:53 PM
I hate Schumer, but he has the power to c*ck block anyone who would move the team.

Good analogy!

BertSquirtgum
07-30-2014, 07:56 PM

It's amazing how people that don't live in New York don't realize how much power Chuck Schumer really has.

Turf
07-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Why would Golisano jump in now to bid against a Buffalonian who has more money while his intent would be to run a tight shoe string operation like he did when owned the Sabres? The team is staying here, and Pegulas' the guy. One day there will be a statue of him downtown.

DraftBoy
07-30-2014, 08:21 PM

What congressional power(s) do you think he has exactly?

OpIv37
07-30-2014, 08:29 PM
It's amazing how people that don't live in New York don't realize how much power Chuck Schumer really has.

It's amazing how some people assume what people do or don't know based on where they live. I lived in NY for most of my life, and most of the time that I haven't been in NY was in the DC area.

I'm well aware that Schumer can make things difficult for the NFL. That's not the same as having the power to keep the team in Buffalo.

Dr. Lecter
07-30-2014, 08:39 PM
If reports Wednesday are true about how much Terry Pegula is prepared to bid on the Buffalo Bills, then Jon Bon Jovi and his Toronto bid group apparently are doomed.

Sources now tell Sun Media the Toronto group cannot ultimately bid as high as the $1.3 billion Pegula is reported to have submitted in Tuesday’s first round.

Probably the Toronto group’s bid limit will be about $1.2 billion, one source said. Another source said the limit likely is even less than that, just above $1 billion.

That’s why the sources dismissed reports Wednesday that contend the Toronto group placed a first bid as high as $1.2 billion.

Maybe that first bid was as high as $1 billion, sources said, but more likely it was in the $800-million to $900-million range.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/bidding-war-what-bidding-war-if-reports-of-pegulas-first-bid-are-true-toronto-group-cant-match-it-sources/

Mace
07-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Interesting thing I read somewhere, can't find it atm but may come up again, might be in the comments to the Buffnews article. Bon Jovi only has interest in being the controlling owner, he has limited money, NFL rules say controlling owner must own 30%.

30% of Pegula's opening bid just barely eliminates Bon Jovi's dream by his total net worth, and he'd be living not on a prayer but on fans couches if his group tried matching it, not being the controlling owner.

I think Pegula did his homework.

BertSquirtgum
07-30-2014, 08:54 PM
It's amazing how some people assume what people do or don't know based on where they live. I lived in NY for most of my life, and most of the time that I haven't been in NY was in the DC area.

I'm well aware that Schumer can make things difficult for the NFL. That's not the same as having the power to keep the team in Buffalo.

It sure is amazing.

Goobylal
07-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Interesting thing I read somewhere, can't find it atm but may come up again, might be in the comments to the Buffnews article. Bon Jovi only has interest in being the controlling owner, he has limited money, NFL rules say controlling owner must own 30%.

30% of Pegula's opening bid just barely eliminates Bon Jovi's dream by his total net worth, and he'd be living not on a prayer but on fans couches if his group tried matching it, not being the controlling owner.

I think Pegula did his homework.
I'm sure Pegs knows what BJ's group's max offer can be. And poor BJ will never own an NFL team, if one of the cheapest can sell for more than he can afford. Sniff, sniff.

buffalopowereye
07-30-2014, 09:15 PM

Really Chuck Schumer. No matter your political affiliation, if you live in New York and love the bills and you don't vote for this guy you're nuts. The NFL does not want to mess with the guy who could be the next senate majority leader, and Schumer is very involved with keeping the team here. If the indicative bids are as reported this thing is a done deal, and it's pegulas team.

Dr. Lecter
07-30-2014, 09:18 PM

The same threat congress always has.

Does the NFL want them to review the anti-trust exemption?

Skooby
07-30-2014, 09:21 PM

It'd be the worse case scenario there.

better days
07-30-2014, 09:50 PM

Schumer may not have total power to keep the Bills in Buffalo but it is another hoop to jump through for anyone that wants to move the team.

You put up enough hoops & people either fail or give up.

WagonCircler
07-30-2014, 10:44 PM

He is one of the most well connected Senators in Washington, and has behind the scenes power to make things uncomfortable to impossible for anyone who wants to move this team.

Go after the NFL's monopoly status and it eventually crumbles and dies. Schumer has dirt on or is owed favors by nearly everyone in the Senate. Throw in the international angle and this is a slam dunk. This is from the FTC web site:

U.S. and foreign competition authorities may cooperate in investigating cross-border conduct that has an impact on U.S. consumers. For more information on the application of U.S. antitrust laws to businesses with international operations, consult the 1995 Antitrust Enforcement Guidelines for International Operations. In addition, as more U.S. companies and consumers do business overseas, federal antitrust work often involves cooperating with international authorities around the world to promote sound competition policy approaches.

Suits can be brought by States, or private citizens. A suit brought by the Senior Senator from NY, with major connections to the Justice Department? This is enough to make Roger Goodell and the NFL owners soil themselves.

There's no faster way to deflate their Billion+ dollar cash cows than an anti-trust suit. Especially one that has merit.

Topas
07-31-2014, 02:19 AM
Wow. This is really exciting. That would mean that something involving the Bills actually works out well and not the worst case happens.
Being a Bills fan I am not used to something like this. I assume after us all got our hopes up, Pegula will get a heart attack and everything breaks down. That would just be the common Buffalo way.
Imagine, if Pegula buys the team and also the Bills make the playoffs ... this would be more than I could handle ... I am not used to happiness when thinking about the Bills...
Let's go Pegula, let's go Buffalo!

DraftBoy
07-31-2014, 05:57 AM
The same threat congress always has.

He doesn't chair that committee, and while he can call and request hearings he can't just make them happen. So again I ask, what congressional power(s) does Wagon think he has exactly?

DraftBoy
07-31-2014, 05:59 AM
He is one of the most well connected Senators in Washington, and has behind the scenes power to make things uncomfortable to impossible for anyone who wants to move this team.

Go after the NFL's monopoly status and it eventually crumbles and dies. Schumer has dirt on or is owed favors by nearly everyone in the Senate. Throw in the international angle and this is a slam dunk. This is from the FTC web site:

U.S. and foreign competition authorities may cooperate in investigating cross-border conduct that has an impact on U.S. consumers. For more information on the application of U.S. antitrust laws to businesses with international operations, consult the 1995 Antitrust Enforcement Guidelines for International Operations. In addition, as more U.S. companies and consumers do business overseas, federal antitrust work often involves cooperating with international authorities around the world to promote sound competition policy approaches.

Suits can be brought by States, or private citizens. A suit brought by the Senior Senator from NY, with major connections to the Justice Department? This is enough to make Roger Goodell and the NFL owners soil themselves.

There's no faster way to deflate their Billion+ dollar cash cows than an anti-trust suit. Especially one that has merit.

I'm aware of the merits of the case and why the NFL is afraid of it, however you didn't address what I asked.

better days
07-31-2014, 06:16 AM
He doesn't chair that committee, and while he can call and request hearings he can't just make them happen. So again I ask, what congressional power(s) does Wagon think he has exactly?

He already told you.......................read #71.

Dr. Lecter
07-31-2014, 06:44 AM

I did not say he could make them happen.

But certainly he has as much, or more, power than anybody that does chair that committee. Let's not act like he is powerless.

Forward_Lateral
08-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Interesting hypothesis...

Think about it. They are basically getting free information in this process. Learning the processes of owning/becoming an owner of an NFL franchise. The paper work, hoops you have to jump through, etc. All for basically nothing.

I would not be shocked, if in the next 5 years the same group pushes for an expansion franchise in Toronto. I don't even know if they really want to buy the Bills, to be honest. I think they are going through the motions for information.

I have no factual info on this, just pure speculation and common sense.

WagonCircler
08-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Think about it. They are basically getting free information in this process. Learning the processes of owning/becoming an owner of an NFL franchise. The paper work, hoops you have to jump through, etc. All for basically nothing.

I would not be shocked, if in the next 5 years the same group pushes for an expansion franchise in Toronto. I don't even know if they really want to buy the Bills, to be honest. I think they are going through the motions for information.

I have no factual info on this, just pure speculation and common sense.

Toronto is in the Bills franchise territory. The Bills could veto a franchise there.

Forward_Lateral
08-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Toronto is in the Bills franchise territory. The Bills could veto a franchise there.

I don't think they could, as it's international.

Also, I don't think it would really matter. The people who support (are fans of) The Bills, that live in Toronto or the GTA, aren't going to suddenly abandon the Bills for a new Toronto team.

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2014, 09:56 AM
I don't think they could, as it's international.

Also, I don't think it would really matter. The people who support (are fans of) The Bills, that live in Toronto or the GTA, aren't going to suddenly abandon the Bills for a new Toronto team.

It happened when Toronto got the Raptors and the Blue Jays.

Many were fans of other teams until then.

Forward_Lateral
08-01-2014, 11:23 AM
It happened when Toronto got the Raptors and the Blue Jays.

Many were fans of other teams until then.

I suppose. But, it's not like there was an NBA or MLB team within 50 miles (or whatever Buffalo is from Toronto). I think an NFL team in Toronto would affect the CFL teams (Toronto and Hamilton) a lot more than the Bills.

I think there would/will substantial opposition from the CFL regarding an NFL team in Toronto.

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2014, 11:32 AM
I suppose. But, it's not like there was an NBA or MLB team within 50 miles (or whatever Buffalo is from Toronto). I think an NFL team in Toronto would affect the CFL teams (Toronto and Hamilton) a lot more than the Bills.

I think there would/will substantial opposition from the CFL regarding an NFL team in Toronto.

None.

The CFL is powerless.

The owner of Toronto's CFL team has been trying to sell the team for years.

The CFL will always survive in Hamilton.

People in Toronto don't consider Buffalo close. They don't root for Buffalo teams because they are close. That is why they never identified with the Bills when they played in Toronto.

I even think if a downtown stadium is built in Buffalo, less Canadians will come to the come due to reduced tailgating, the traffic to get into the downtown core and the sheer ugliness that is downtown Buffalo. Canadians certainly won't be staying overnight in hotels there. It will not change what Buffalo is.

Skooby
08-01-2014, 11:34 AM
None.

The CFL is powerless.

People in Toronto don't consider Buffalo close. They don't root for Buffalo teams because they are close. That is why they never identified with the Bills when they played in Toronto.

I even think if a downtown stadium is built in Buffalo, less Canadians will come to the come due to reduced tailgating, the traffic to get into the downtown core and the sheer ugliness that is downtown Buffalo. Canadians certainly won't be staying overnight in hotels there. It will not change what Buffalo is. See 3 rivers stadium and the improvements are there over time, so I beg to differ.

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2014, 11:35 AM
See 3 rivers stadium and the improvements are there over time, so I beg to differ.

That isn't Buffalo.

Not even close.

Skooby
08-01-2014, 11:54 AM
That isn't Buffalo.

Not even close.

Yeah, Lake Erie is much bigger.

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2014, 11:58 AM

Nothing to do with the lake. It is beautiful.

Have you seen what most of downtown Buffalo looks like these days?

better days
08-01-2014, 11:59 AM

And the Buffalo area & Pittsburgh area are about the same in size.

better days
08-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Nothing to do with the lake. It is beautiful.

Have you seen what most of downtown Buffalo looks like these days?

Have you seen downtown Buffalo these days?

Have you even ever been to Buffalo?

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Have you seen downtown Buffalo these days?

Have you even ever been to Buffalo?

Many times.

4 times in the last 2 years.

How about you Grandpa Florida?

better days
08-01-2014, 12:08 PM
None.

The CFL is powerless.

I even think if a downtown stadium is built in Buffalo, less Canadians will come to the come due to reduced tailgating, the traffic to get into the downtown core and the sheer ugliness that is downtown Buffalo. Canadians certainly won't be staying overnight in hotels there. It will not change what Buffalo is.

How can the CFL survive in Hamilton if the entire league folds?

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2014, 12:10 PM
There are 5 teams out west that are doing very well, a team in Montreal that is doing well and a new team in Ottawa this year.

The CFL will not fold.

better days
08-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Many times.

4 times in the last 2 years.

How about you Grandpa Florida?

When is the last time you were there? Two years ago or 2 months ago?

I have not been there in a long time myself, But I have heard Downtown has changed a lot recently.

- - - Updated - - -

There are 5 teams out west that are doing very well, a team in Montreal that is doing well and a new team in Ottawa this year.

The CFL will not fold.

Well, how is the CFL doing in Toronto?

Dr. Lecter
08-01-2014, 12:12 PM
I was downtown yesterday. And ran through it in May and get down there more often than Spiked.

It has changed. It is slowly improving. Not all the way there yet. But there is progress

Dr. Lecter
08-01-2014, 12:13 PM
The CFL is not folding. Costs are controlled. They are even on ESPN now, getting revenue.

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2014, 12:14 PM
When is the last time you were there? Two years ago or 2 months ago?

I have not been there in a long time myself, But I have heard Downtown has changed a lot recently.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, how is the CFL doing in Toronto?

I was there last in late September of last year.

The CFL in Toronto is doing OK but play out of that same crappy football stadium that the Bills played.

Toronto rightfully considers itself a major league city and the CFL is simply not that.

Yasgur's Farm
08-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Maybe Pegula can buy the Bills and the Argos... That would be interesting indeed.

better days
08-01-2014, 12:22 PM
I was there last in late September of last year.

The CFL in Toronto is doing OK but play out of that same crappy football stadium that the Bills played.

Toronto rightfully considers itself a major league city and the CFL is simply not that.

The CFL is not Major League because Canada is not Major League.

And since Canada is not Major league neither is its largest City Toronto.

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2014, 12:25 PM
The CFL is not Major League because Canada is not Major League.

You are just an old butthole.

WagonCircler
08-01-2014, 12:26 PM
I was downtown yesterday. And ran through it in May and get down there more often than Spiked.

It has changed. It is slowly improving. Not all the way there yet. But there is progress

Spiked prefers to be a miserable little ***** who criticizes things he knows nothing about.

better days
08-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Spiked prefers to be a miserable little ***** who criticizes things he knows nothing about.

He will be crying in his gay drink soon enough after the Sale of the Bills is completed to Pegula.

better days
08-01-2014, 12:29 PM
You are just an old butthole.

Great comeback, but you can't dispute what I said.