PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season starts Sunday. That can only mean one thing......

Dr. Lecter
08-01-2014, 09:28 PM
It is time for the annual UDRFA to get fans all excited over a few performances in the 3rd and 4th quarter of pre-season games. Usually this is a RB or WR who looks like OJ or Jerry Rice against other teams scrubs. He puts up huge numbers and fans go nuts when he gets cut and ends up on the PS for a few weeks until being cut again and then never heard from in the NFL again.

Let's hear it - who is this year's Kwame Cavil or Anthony Gray?????

OpIv37
08-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Also, it's that time of year when people defend ****ty preseason performances by saying things like "preseason doesn't matter- just wait til the regular season!"

Because, you know, teams magically get better in a month.

OpIv37
08-01-2014, 09:39 PM
It is time for the annual UDRFA to get fans all excited over a few performances in the 3rd and 4th quarter of pre-season games. Usually this is a RB or WR who looks like OJ or Jerry Rice against other teams scrubs. He puts up huge numbers and fans go nuts when he gets cut and ends up on the PS for a few weeks until being cut again and then never heard from in the NFL again.

And btw I like to refer to this as the "Konstantin Ritzmann Award"

ServoBillieves
08-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Tori Gurley will tear it up. MVP.

THRILLHO
08-01-2014, 10:11 PM
You forgot the part when the Patriots pick up the cut player and we freak out because we must have missed something if the Pats wanted him.

Mr. Pink
08-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Easley, the perennial preseason MVP, will tear it up again and people will once again buy into him being a big deal.

Even though he shoulda been cut years ago.

:rofl:

OpIv37
08-01-2014, 11:25 PM
You forgot the part when the Patriots pick up the cut player and we freak out because we must have missed something if the Pats wanted him.

Nah, the Pats don't do that because we missed something. They do it because we always seem to have a new system on one or both sides of the ball and Bellicheck wants as much info as he can when there's no game film.

stuckincincy
08-02-2014, 04:03 AM
"It's a plain-vanilla offense".

"Coach (insert name) is keeping it under wraps."

"No sense playing your hand before the season starts. That's why they've looked bad."

Night Train
08-02-2014, 04:38 AM
One thing is a lock.

*****ing like teen girls...I see it's already started.

swiper
08-02-2014, 04:57 AM
One thing is a lock.

Well that happens everywhere. No one should complain about the complainers of a team that hasn't seen the play-offs since 1999. A lot of it is justified.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully it's Bryce Brown.

YardRat
08-02-2014, 05:07 AM
Are we restricted to RB's and WR's?

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2014, 05:15 AM
Also, it's that time of year when people defend ****ty preseason performances by saying things like "preseason doesn't matter- just wait til the regular season!"

And some would dismiss a good performance the same.

That one is a matter of perspective

Dr. Lecter
08-02-2014, 05:16 AM
Easley, the perennial preseason MVP, will tear it up again and people will once again buy into him being a big deal.

The weird thing is that he has actually turned into a worthwhile #6 WR and ST guy.

swiper
08-02-2014, 05:20 AM
The weird thing is that he has actually turned into a worthwhile #6 WR and ST guy.

The weird thing (to me) is we haven't heard too much about him so far this season. It seems we are hearing a lot about Hogan and others, but not a lot about him so far. He has stood out in prior preseasons. We'll see.

swiper
08-02-2014, 05:22 AM

Hope not. I would love to see guys like Cyril Richardson, Cyrus Kouandijo, Seantrel Henderson, Stefan Charles and Preston Brown stand out.

DraftBoy
08-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Joique Bell

scartown
08-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Joique Bell

Lol this your yearly dark horse to make the team eh. Maybe one day he'll be back :)

swiper
08-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Joique Bell

Don't get Wagoncircler started. Please. :earpoke:

stuckincincy
08-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Lol this your yearly dark horse to make the team eh. Maybe one day he'll be back :)

Nah - he was of use to DET, last 2 seasons:

G GS Att Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 1st
2012 Detroit Lions 16 0 82 414 5.0 67 3 3 16
2013 Detroit Lions 16 4 166 650 3.9 20 8 1 43

Novacane
08-02-2014, 09:40 AM

And if EJ and the team looks great you'll say preseason doesn't matter.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-02-2014, 09:50 AM
I think Tuel takes this award.

BertSquirtgum
08-02-2014, 10:48 AM

Just like Stevie should have?

DraftBoy
08-02-2014, 11:41 AM

Bell has become a pretty good backup RB for a guy coming out of Division II Wayne State. The Lions like him a lot.

stuckincincy
08-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Bell has become a pretty good backup RB for a guy coming out of Division II Wayne State. The Lions like him a lot.

As well they should. Folks may bark about a 3.9 rush average last year, but it is always situational, 166 carries is a decent body of work and 8 tds are quite nice. I'm happy for the youngster - bounced around, stuck to it and now has a solid job.

OpIv37
08-02-2014, 02:06 PM
One thing is a lock.

Discussing a team's poor performance after the game in a message board devoted to the team is not "*****ing."

I don't know why some of you have this bizarre expectation that a message board devoted to a team that has sucked for 14 years is going to be happy-go-lucky, especially after another poor performance (if that's what happens- obviously we don't know that yet.)

And yes, I know, some of you will say "it's the repetition- some of you only talk about the negative and not the positive." Well, two things. First, look at the results. The negatives far outweigh the positives and are defining this team. If it were the opposite,the team would be winning. Second, this board is loaded with repetitive praise for Watkins (who hasn't even played a down yet), Spiller, Kiko, and the DL. Yet, no one ever complains about that repetition. So, don't pretend it's repetition that bothers you. It's something else- most likely being forced to acknowledge unpleasant realities.

pmoon6
08-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Lecter should just have named the thread "OK *****es, time to start your preseason crying"

The usual dildoes have showed up with Spike giving an assist in "Thank You" mode.

I wonder if they're like that because their Mommies didn't change their diapers often enough.....then again, sometimes I think they still wear them.

psubills62
08-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Discussing a team's poor performance after the game in a message board devoted to the team is not "*****ing."

I don't know why some of you have this bizarre expectation that a message board devoted to a team that has sucked for 14 years is going to be happy-go-lucky, especially after another poor performance (if that's what happens- obviously we don't know that yet.)

And yes, I know, some of you will say "it's the repetition- some of you only talk about the negative and not the positive." Well, two things. First, look at the results. The negatives far outweigh the positives and are defining this team. If it were the opposite,the team would be winning. Second, this board is loaded with repetitive praise for Watkins (who hasn't even played a down yet), Spiller, Kiko, and the DL. Yet, no one ever complains about that repetition. So, don't pretend it's repetition that bothers you. It's something else- most likely being forced to acknowledge unpleasant realities.
Are you *****ing about *****ing?

feldspar
08-03-2014, 02:48 AM
Pre-season starts today. That can only mean one thing...

I'm psyched.

Anyone not on board with that for WHATEVER reason can take a flying leap...take a long walk off a short pier.

Have a nice day.

YardRat
08-03-2014, 07:02 AM
I'm going with Kenny Ladler, safety.

Famous Amos
08-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Buffalo fans love their local guys with ties. I'm going with Miami Hurricanes linebacker and Canisius High School standout Jimmy Gaines. Colby Way, DE from UB is my dark horse because he is the Ryan Denney High Motor preseason award winner.

DraftBoy
08-03-2014, 07:58 AM

Just like the players some posters here need to get ready for the season too.

swiper
08-03-2014, 08:00 AM
LOL @ this thread.

ServoBillieves
08-03-2014, 10:29 AM

I will be keeping a stern and hopeful eye on Ikponmwosa Igbinosun.

OpIv37
08-03-2014, 08:12 PM

Not *****ing at all- just wondering and commenting.

The last buffalo fan
08-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Not *****ing at all- just wondering and commenting.

:spit: season mode!

IlluminatusUIUC
08-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Landon Cohen looks like an unblockable monster. I declare him king of the third stringers.

justasportsfan
08-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Marrone didn't seem happy during the press conference .Seems like he's taking preseason games seriously. I like it.

k-oneputt
08-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Vontaze Burfict.

Oh thats right we used our 7th rd. pick that year on a kicker from C. Mich.

trapezeus
08-04-2014, 12:36 PM
"hey everyone, we weren't gameplanning/they weren't gameplanning. the results are therefore entirely dismissable/entirely accurate"

i like that one because it is purely a preseason comment.
Ej didn't look great. "well we didn't have a game plan"
D looked stout. "proof that we are on track to be the best d in history"

the first game is the most fun because there isn't much to go on. the next one, regardless of gameplanning, we get to see if anyone or the team is moving in the right direction or not.

JoeMama
08-04-2014, 01:53 PM

I love Kwame Cavil references.

Forever.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dr. Lecter again."

swiper
09-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Landon Cohen looks like an unblockable monster. I declare him king of the third stringers.

Unceremoniously cut.

pmoon6
09-03-2014, 05:11 AM
Unceremoniously cut.I was rooting for that guy to make the team. Patriots probably pick him up and he makes the ProBowl.

Fletch
09-03-2014, 06:21 AM

Unceremoniously cut.

LOL ... one of the latest examples of "the future of our team" and contributor to this season being irrelevant.

Oddly, the team really doesn't look that much different than last season's team.

The differences in the starters, from what I see, and I'm sure I'll forget one, but ...

Chris Williams in at G instead of legursky, and I don't understand that signing at all.
Rookie Seantrel Henderson at RT instead of Pears, and I love Henderson, he was a force at Miami when he was focused.
The Rookie Watkins at WR instead of Stevie.

Sounds like a wash on offense pending what Watkins does. Williams is more of a depth caliber G.

Instead of Alonso, Lawson, and Bradham at the LB's, we have Spikes, Rivers, and Brown.
Instead of Byrd and Leonard we have Williams and Searcy.

That's a step down on defense. Rivers is more of a depth caliber LB, not sold on Brown at all. He didn't play that well against 1st-team O's in preseason. Spikes is entirely one-dimensional, probably the most one-dimensional MLB in the league. Don't know how that's going to play out on 3rd-downs. Will the team yank him on 3rd's like NE did? If so, who's going to replace him? Either way, it's a significant step down from what Alonso brought.

In the secondary that's a lot of experience gone in favor of Searcy, who hasn't proven a thing yet, and Williams who bounced around at several positions, played OK but not great, and also didn't do much in his first two seasons.

All in all a step down I'd say. Not sure why so many seem to think that we've improved apart from Manuel last season, I see a regression.