PDA

View Full Version : wgr: Camp Day #11 - 3 injured player return to practice

swiper
08-02-2014, 05:15 AM
Good news!

Lee Smith, Chris Williams, and Chris Hairston all returned to practice.
Hairston was moved to 2nd string Left Tackle - Cyril Richardson splits reps with Urbik
Mike Williams & Nickel Robey shine
Manuel with a few good red zone plays, then...
Starting corners rested

<tbody>
Bills training camp observations: Day 11

by Joe Buscaglia , posted Aug 1 2014 8:52PM

http://imgsrv.wgr550.com/image/DbGraphic/201408/2910471.jpg?1406975715

The Buffalo Bills got on to the practice field 30 minutes later than expected on Friday night, but they were able to get in a solid evening of work ahead of their initial preseason game.

It was a bit of a shorter practice with the team only in helmets, shoulder pads and shorts, but they took a good portion of time during team drills to work on their red zone offense and defense. Even with an abbreviated session, there were still some standouts during the day:

Manuel sharp in red zone, 2 minute sputters
- In the final practice before his 2014 debut, EJ Manuel and the Bills tried to build some momentum in an area that they struggled with last season. The red zone deficiencies of 2013 are well-documented, and it was a focal point of Friday’s session for the team’s offense specifically. In their first time doing the red zone drill, Manuel had a stretch of three straight attempts that resulted in a touchdown. The second-year quarterback found Robert Woods twice and Chris Gragg once for the solid three-play stretch, with his best effort coming on the last of those three. Manuel went through his first and second reads on that specific play, scanned the field and kept an eye on the closing pressure, then spotted an open Woods in the middle of the end zone at the last moment and got him the ball. That’s the type of development the Bills are looking for in that area. In the two-minute drill to end practice, the Bills found a nice hookup between Manuel and Mike Williams to keep the drive alive on a fourth and long, but outside of that play the offense barely got anything going due to both inaccurate throws and collapsing pockets.

Hairston back, no longer at guard
- With Chris Hairston getting back on the field, the Bills decided to give him a look somewhere else along the offensive line. Since training camp has started, Hairston has been exclusively at right guard and splitting first-team reps with Kraig Urbik. The plan has appeared to change shortly before their upcoming preseason game. On Friday, the Bills put Hairston at a position in which most are used to seeing him, using him as the second-team left tackle behind rookie Seantrel Henderson. In his place at guard, rookie Cyril Richardson resumed his role of splitting the first-team snaps at right guard with Urbik. Hairston is trying to find a home anywhere along the offensive line, and if he can prove valuable enough as a swing lineman, he may have a shot to be on the correct side of the roster bubble.

Tight end depth for Sunday
- The return of Lee Smith to practice on Friday signaled that the Bills could be alright on Sunday with how much time they need to allocate to each player. Smith will likely be with the first team, but they know what type of player he is. Expect the majority of snaps to go to second-year player Chris Gragg and the recently signed Dominique Jones. Another player that could get some time on the field at tight end is Evan Rodriguez, who has worked mostly at fullback throughout training camp. He took some reps with Smith, Gragg and Jones during routes versus air. With Chandler and Moeaki sidelined on Friday night, it’s unlikely that they’ll suit up on Sunday.

Mike Williams has strong day
- Throughout camp thus far it’s been either rookie Sammy Watkins or wideout Chris Hogan getting all the praise for their efforts, but Mike Williams stole the show from that position on Friday. The oldest wideout on the roster, Williams showed his high-pointing ability on more than one occasion, mixing it with smooth route running during one-on-one drills. He looks quite healthy and the Bills are depending on all the aforementioned attributes to give them something their roster has been missing for a while now: a bonafide red zone target.

Starting corners rested
- Head coach Doug Marrone continued his line of thinking in being cautious with his starting cornerbacks. Both Stephon Gilmore and Leodis McKelvin did not take a single snap on defense during Friday’s team drills, a precaution likely taken because both had offseason procedures done. McKelvin hasn’t taken a single rep in team drills over the course of the past week, so it’s likely that he won’t be available for the Bills’ upcoming contest. Gilmore has only gotten a rest day here or there, so his availability may be a bit more likely. Marrone did not specify if either player would play in the Hall of Fame game Sunday.

Day 11 MVP: CB Nickell Robey
- The player that barely edged out Mike Williams for most valuable player honors on Friday night was perhaps the smallest on the field. The play of second-year nickel corner Nickell Robey was among the best to end the week of practice. He chipped in two interceptions, a knocked down pass on a blitz attempt and a few separate passes knocked down in coverage. He allowed one completion to wide receiver Caleb Holley on a sharply thrown pass by Jeff Tuel. Besides that, Robey gave up nothing and continued to be a thorn in the side of the offense.

Day 11 LVP: QB Thad Lewis
- The struggles continued for Lewis on Friday in the form of inaccurate throws that resulted in turnovers once again. Normally there isn’t too great of a disparity between Lewis and Tuel, despite some of the former’s shortcomings throughout the start of camp. However, Friday brought one of Tuel’s best performances at camp to date, and coupled with Lewis’ continuous misfires, it created some space in the battle to be the backup to EJ Manuel.

</tbody>

Observation: Seems Mike Williams and Cyril Richardson both started out slow during OTAs, but both have come on per these reports.

swiper
08-02-2014, 05:39 AM
And don't miss the very last sentence of that article. Tuel with one of his best practices so far. Thad Lewis still struggling.

So that begs the question, if Lewis is 3rd string can they put him on the practice squad? Or will they have to keep him on the roster?

swiper
08-02-2014, 05:47 AM
I call BS on Manuel going through his reads. In every single drop back from both of these videos he stares down his primary target and doesn't look anywhere else. It's one of his biggest problems.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/4-things-to-take-from-Friday%E2%80%99s-practice/8679b44e-47c6-42a8-8298-f5e17817733c

swiper
08-02-2014, 05:53 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d2anAQybcmc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Manuel has to show he can do this better.

stuckincincy
08-02-2014, 06:01 AM
And don't miss the very last sentence of that article. Tuel with one of his best practices so far. Thad Lewis still struggling.

So that begs the question, if Lewis is 3rd string can they put him on the practice squad? Or will they have to keep him on the roster?

His eligibility is long gone:

..."Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. In fact, players with more than one year of accrued NFL service are not eligible. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.

A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times."...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4677982/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility

swiper
08-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Just saw this:

Mike Rodak (https://twitter.com/mikerodak)✔ @mikerodak (https://twitter.com/mikerodak)

Marquise Goodwin has a hamstring injury.

From yesterday's practice.

swiper
08-02-2014, 06:17 AM
And (I know many here don't like him, but) an opposing view of the 2-minute drills from yesterday:

Mike Rodak (https://twitter.com/mikerodak)✔ @mikerodak (https://twitter.com/mikerodak)

Offense looking sluggish as it closes out week. 2 min drills end in sack and INT. Then back-to-back drops by 14 and 10 in end zone

kishoph
08-02-2014, 06:40 AM
I call BS on Manuel going through his reads. In every single drop back from both of these videos he stares down his primary target and doesn't look anywhere else. It's one of his biggest problems.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/4-things-to-take-from-Friday%E2%80%99s-practice/8679b44e-47c6-42a8-8298-f5e17817733c

First of all, I'm impressed with your ability to see through his blackened visor, secondly, if Joe B. gives him credit for doing it, you better believe he did it, Joe B. is probably on of Manuel's harshest critics and lastly, you can stop already, we all know you don't like the guy. Put on your Tuel jersey and be happy for once.

stuckincincy
08-02-2014, 07:00 AM
Just saw this:

From yesterday's practice.

IIRC, he tweaked it last season.

swiper
08-02-2014, 07:40 AM
First of all, I'm impressed with your ability to see through his blackened visor, secondly, if Joe B. gives him credit for doing it, you better believe he did it, Joe B. is probably on of Manuel's harshest critics and lastly, you can stop already, we all know you don't like the guy. Put on your Tuel jersey and be happy for once.

Watch his head. He telegraphs every throw to the defensive backs. Take off your Manuel jersey.

Night Train
08-02-2014, 07:42 AM
I remember a while back starting a thread, speculating whether Tuel could step forward and be the #2 QB. Lots of folks set me straight that Lewis was better .

- The struggles continued for Lewis on Friday in the form of inaccurate throws that resulted in turnovers once again. Normally there isn’t too great of a disparity between Lewis and Tuel, despite some of the former’s shortcomings throughout the start of camp. However, Friday brought one of Tuel’s best performances at camp to date, and coupled with Lewis’ continuous misfires, it created some space in the battle to be the backup to EJ Manuel.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/224314-Could-Tuel-Step-Forward-amp-Be-Manuels-Backup?highlight=tuel

Good call, internet coaches ! :up:

swiper
08-02-2014, 07:54 AM
I remember a while back starting a thread, speculating whether Tuel could step forward and be the #2 QB. Lots of folks set me straight that Lewis was better .

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/224314-Could-Tuel-Step-Forward-amp-Be-Manuels-Backup?highlight=tuel

While I don't disagree with you, in fairness, it seems that Lewis has taken a step backwards. Last year you'd hear good reports about him. This year that's not the case. And, it seems Tuel has progressed to some degree.

Certainly glad to see Tuel do well, but ultimately he's going to have to show it on the field in the regular season. IIRC, he played well in preseason games last year.

stuckincincy
08-02-2014, 08:41 AM

I'll start the rumor...Lewis wants out. :band:

Yasgur's Farm
08-02-2014, 08:45 AM
While I don't disagree with you, in fairness, it seems that Lewis has taken a step backwards. Last year you'd hear good reports about him. This year that's not the case. And, it seems Tuel has progressed to some degree.

Certainly glad to see Tuel do well, but ultimately he's going to have to show it on the field in the regular season. IIRC, he played well in preseason games last year.Lewis was acquired on 8/25/13... Just in time for the final preseason game vs Lions on 8/29. Not a whole lotta time for "good reports".

Yasgur's Farm
08-02-2014, 08:51 AM

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/4-things-to-take-from-Friday%E2%80%99s-practice/8679b44e-47c6-42a8-8298-f5e17817733cSorry swiper... Nice try... But he's clearly looking left before the pass to the middle back end zone. Watch it again.

swiper
08-02-2014, 09:00 AM
Sorry swiper... Nice try... But he's clearly looking left before the pass to the middle back end zone. Watch it again.

He never looks to the right side of the field. Ever in those videos. Just like most of last year.

- - - Updated - - -

Lewis was acquired on 8/25/13... Just in time for the final preseason game vs Lions on 8/29. Not a whole lotta time for "good reports".

There were plenty of talk up of Lewis after he arrived here.

Yasgur's Farm
08-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Whatever... I'm not into talking in circles.

swiper
08-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Tough to admit you're wrong.

The Jokeman
08-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Let's remember one thing about Thad, we didn't see him in TC last year because he was with Detroit. He might just be a poor practice player and more of a gamer because I know he looked better in his games against Cincy, and the two against Miami than Tuel did against Cleveland and KC. I wouldn't toss Thad aside just yet.

Yasgur's Farm
08-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Tough to admit you're wrong.Yup... I know... But at least you admitted it. Good for you.

stuckincincy
08-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Yup... I know... But at least you admitted it. Good for you.

Any reason why you're picking a fight? :duel:

The last buffalo fan
08-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Yup... I know... But at least you admitted it. Good for you.

:spit: swiper :buddies: Yasgur

The last buffalo fan
08-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Any reason why you're picking a fight? :duel:

Read again your sig. :ill:

stuckincincy
08-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Read again your sig. :ill:

I know. Sad, isn't it, the way folks speak to each others these days?