PDA

View Full Version : Why A New Stadium ?

Night Train
08-03-2014, 03:26 PM
I know it's being discussed ad nauseam by the bad commish and many others... but is it really needed ?

The Ralph...is fine.

Skooby
08-03-2014, 03:42 PM
There's going to have to be a new stadium eventually. I would assume a climate controlled one that would almost assuredly land the Bills a Super Bowl after that large of a financial commitment.

SpikedLemonade
08-03-2014, 03:51 PM
I know it's being discussed ad nauseam by the bad commish and many others... but is it really needed ?

The Ralph...is fine.

I would have thought Bills fans want a new owner to sink some of his own money into a new stadium or otherwise commit to the City of Buffalo beyond the current lease.

Ed
08-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Any new stadium talk is about the future of the team and where it will play 10 years from now and beyond.

BertSquirtgum
08-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Well for one. There needs to be 5x the amount of restrooms.

Fletch
08-03-2014, 05:01 PM

The Ralph...is fine.

LOL

Go ask the league and scrutinize its standards. Goodell's the one saying we need a new stadium. So instead of baiting those of us that are astute enough to have picked up on that about a dozen times over the last month, then calling us all non-fans, insisting that we want the team to leave, and all kinds of other assorted gems, try writing the NFL offices with the issue and when you get a response just post it here.

Your issue is with them. Some of us recognize that, some don't, ... apparently.

Fletch
08-03-2014, 05:03 PM

Indeed, you're so full of **** that we need extras.

BertSquirtgum
08-03-2014, 05:06 PM

And the awful posts from your ignorant Canadian ass keep rolling in.

Blazenlo
08-03-2014, 05:14 PM

:yap::doh:

YardRat
08-03-2014, 05:27 PM
A new stadium is necessary for more corporate seating/suites, and PSL's for extra revenue that stays in the team's pocket. I believe the Ralph is maxed out for the former, and the latter could still probably be instituted in the current venue, but if fans are going to be expected to fork over more money they are going to expect amenities and bling in return, not just the right to buy the same seats they have been.

If Pegs gets the team, it's almost a lock a new stadium will be down in some close proximity to the FNC...if somebody else, like JBJ or Golisano, wins the bid then Niagara Falls and the current site with a new building comes into play more.

Fletch
08-03-2014, 05:28 PM
And the awful posts from your ignorant Canadian ass keep rolling in.

Says the cornucopia of intellectual enlightenment.

DraftBoy
08-03-2014, 05:31 PM
One Word: Revenue

Fletch
08-03-2014, 05:35 PM
A new stadium is necessary for more corporate seating/suites, and PSL's for extra revenue that stays in the team's pocket. I believe the Ralph is maxed out for the former, and the latter could still probably be instituted in the current venue, but if fans are going to be expected to fork over more money they are going to expect amenities and bling in return, not just the right to buy the same seats they have been.

If Pegs gets the team, it's almost a lock a new stadium will be down in some close proximity to the FNC...if somebody else, like JBJ or Golisano, wins the bid then Niagara Falls and the current site with a new building comes into play more.

It's my understanding that we presently have fewer than average, many fewer than average, corporate seating/suites, but still struggle to sell those. Our suites sell for chump change compared to others.

Not sure when this piece was written, but it says this;

The most affordable suite presently is found at Ralph Wilson Stadium, home of the Buffalo Bills, at $28,400 for a season. In contrast, the Miami Dolphins have a suite offering that brings in $750,000 annually. Considering the entire NFL, the average low cost of a suite sells for $64,597, whereas the average high end cost is $246,712.

https://www.alsd.com/content/nfl-teams-score-big-suite-market

It also says what we already know, that Buffalo is the NFL's smallest metropolitan area.

Anyway, if the suites were selling well then they wouldn't have to have the cheapest suite/corporate seating price in the league.

Albany,n.y.
08-04-2014, 08:08 AM

The Ralph...is fine.

The main reason for a new stadium is the future, not the present. You build a stadium anticipating a 30-40 year life. RWS is already 41 years old. A new stadium, with a 25 year lease insures the long term future of the team in Buffalo regardless of who owns the team.

Realistically, with some of the main bidders in their 60s & 70s (specifically Pegula 63, Trump 68, & Golisano 72) the future of the team has to be thought of beyond their lifetimes. A new stadium insures that future beyond their heirs inheriting the team and deciding to keep it or sell it. The next owner has to be locked in beyond their lifespan. Not too many people make it to 95 like Ralph did.

Another reason which is real but not really justifiable-the NFL likes new stadiums & with recent new stadiums in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati (both small markets) and New Jersey, there is evidence that the NFL gets what it wants. If you ever went to the old Giants Stadium, which was torn down 4 years ago, and compared it to the Ralph, you'd know that the demolished Giants Stadium was tons better than RWS, even with its latest renovations. A rational NJ fan could have easily stated there was no need for a new stadium at the Meadowlands, but one got built anyway-why?-because the NFL said jump & NJ said "how high", mainly because if they didn't want the Giants & Jets moving back across the river to NYC where 2 new baseball stadiums had just been built (with the Yankees using New Jersey as leverage to get the new stadium in the Bronx).

Until Buffalo has a stadium with sufficient seats & bathrooms, RWS will be 2nd rate. How many other NFL stadiums still have benches with backs instead of individual seats on many of the seats (and all of the ones I end up sitting in at RWS since I'm either in the end zone or upper deck)? I don't know if the new renovations have urinals instead of the troughs we've had for the past 41 years, but if they don't, that's another sign of an outdated stadium.

Will ticket prices go up at a new stadium? Of course they will, but the prices for tickets at RWS are below what the market will bear even in WNY. Just go to ticket exchange on sold out games & see what other fans are selling their tickets for and you'll see the Bills could significantly raise prices at a new stadium & still easily sell the place out, especially if they put a winning team on the field. I have a friend who up until a couple of years ago (the 14 straight years of futility have taken their toll but a winning team would stop the fan malaise quickly) could put just about any non-December game on ticket exchange & sell it for twice as much as the Bills sold it to him for.

THATHURMANATOR
08-04-2014, 08:50 AM

They added 20+ in this current renovation.