PDA

View Full Version : Is The Lack of Competition Hurting EJ Manuel?

BillsImpossible
08-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Why should EJ Manuel be handed the starting QB job on a silver platter?

Because he was the #1 draft pick in 2013? Is that the only reason?

Isn't it hypocritical for the coaching staff to stress, "competition," to the team while at the same time they're not giving the most important player on the team any competition at all?

All I want is a fair competition. Competition makes players better. Competition makes everyone better.

Handing the job to EJ without competition doesn't make sense.

Jeff Tuel was 12 for 17 last night and played well.

EJ Manuel and Jeff Tuel both deserve a fair competition.

Skooby
08-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Who did Tuel play against ? Who did Eli play against in his 3rd series ?

BillsImpossible
08-04-2014, 07:05 PM

Be honest...

If you were the coach of the Buffalo Bills, wouldn't you like to see how well Jeff Tuel performs with the starting offense?

kingJofNYC
08-04-2014, 07:05 PM
If EJ needs competition to up his game, then he shouldn't be QB to begin with.

he's a poor QB, was a poor QB at FSU, and unless he really puts it together, which is the least likely outcome, we'll be shopping for a replacement real soon. Competition can't turn a bad QB around.

Homegrown
08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
It might be the lack of ability that is hurting EJ....

BertSquirtgum
08-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Of course it is. There is no competition to push him and make him better. Very dumb IMO.

bleve
08-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Lack of competition is hurting Tuel more than it is EJ.

EJ is maxed out

Woodman
08-04-2014, 10:26 PM
I'd have E.J. taking at least 50% of the snaps preseason or not.

Mace
08-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Be honest...

If you were the coach of the Buffalo Bills, wouldn't you like to see how well Jeff Tuel performs with the starting offense?

We did, last year after Tuel had a phenomenal preseason, and he was terrible. We went through the competition aspect last year too.

The wrong thing to do was hiring a QB coach who made Stafford worse to develop anyone.

These guys are who they are and hope suddenly it all clicks to Manuel who has better tools, or we've been through this before.

Pinkerton Security
08-05-2014, 07:00 AM
Be honest...

Do you have no memory or just selective memory? Dont you remember how Tuel played against the Brownies? It was like watching a so-so HIGH SCHOOL qb play against the Browns.

I agree that no QB should simply be handed the job, but EJ was our first pick overall pick, he has the physical capabilities to be an NFL QB, now he just needs to develop the mental part of the game. This might be easier said than done but thats the plan and it isnt going to change any time soon.

trapezeus
08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Do you have no memory or just selective memory? Dont you remember how Tuel played against the Brownies? It was like watching a so-so HIGH SCHOOL qb play against the Browns.

I agree that no QB should simply be handed the job, but EJ was our first pick overall pick, he has the physical capabilities to be an NFL QB, now he just needs to develop the mental part of the game. This might be easier said than done but thats the plan and it isnt going to change any time soon.

tuel, and pretty much any back up qb, gets a pass for the game they enter. they've been prepping the other offense all week and not running th enumber ones. maybe a seasoned guy who is ready to handle both ebcause he knows the teams system from several years would be able to fair better.

the KC game was average for Tuel. that INT at the 1Y stood out.

my issue with tuel is that his delivery seems to be so deliberate and long winded that he might be ok the first game or two, but then teams will have him solved. i also think he looks very small as a modern day qb. doesn't seem to have the size that will make him durable for a full season. and lastly i dont think he has november-december arm strength.

i'd like to see ej get the first half and tuel get the second half in the next game. if EJ isn't moving forward, then the next game, EJ should get a quarter and if its more of the same, and tuel has done well with the scrubs, he should get the second quarter. and if tuel keeps looking like the better player, the negatives i feel above on tuel need to be cast aside and see him get a game in the preseason with the starters and see where his performance is.

EJ could have used veteran qb competition where the threat was very real that the team was ok being sheppard through the first half with a journeyman. the competition the way it is set up, is almost meaningless.

EDS
08-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Too much money for Dalton. Tough call for the Bengals though as he has gotten them to the playoffs.

Interestingly, if Manual had stats identical to Dalton's rookie year numbers this season people would be over the moon.

Pinkerton Security
08-05-2014, 08:00 AM
Too much money for Dalton. Tough call for the Bengals though as he has gotten them to the playoffs.

Interestingly, if Manual had stats identical to Dalton's rookie year numbers this season people would be over the moon.

2011 Andy Dalton, 16 games started:
300 for 516, 58.1% completion, 3398 yards for 6.59 yard average, 20 TDs, 13 INTs

2013 EJ Manuel, 10 games started:
180 for 306, 58.8% completion, 1972 yards for 6.44 yard average, 11 TDs, 9 INTs

These numbers are actually very very similar, granted EJ missed time which is a negative against him, but project out the rest of the season and EJ comes very close to Dalton's numbers. Im not comparing them as QB's necessarily, but just based on numbers they are similar.

swiper
08-05-2014, 08:05 AM
300 for 516, 58.1% completion, 3398 yards for 6.59 yard average, 20 TDs, 13 INTs

These numbers are actually very very similar, granted EJ missed time which is a negative against him, but project out the rest of the season and EJ comes very close to Dalton's numbers. Im not comparing them as QB's necessarily, but just based on numbers they are similar.

Good. Because you shouldn't. I don't care for Dalton, but here is one thing he can say that EJ Manuel cannot touch with a ten foot pole:

Andy Dalton has joined Peyton Manning and Dan Marino becoming the only three quarterbacks to pass for 20 plus touchdowns in each of their first two seasons. Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, and Big Ben can’t even say they have done that.

That stat alone is likely the explanation as to why the Bills jumped up and grabbed Watkins. They hope to do for Manuel what the Bengals did for Dalton by getting Green.

Bill Cody
08-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Good. Because you shouldn't. I don't care for Dalton, but here is one thing he can say that EJ Manuel cannot touch with a ten foot pole:

That stat alone is likely the explanation as to why the Bills jumped up and grabbed Watkins. They hope to do for Manuel what the Bengals did for Dalton by getting Green.

Watkins will help but Manuel could have a young Jerry Rice at WR and not get 20 TD's if he's on the sidelines for half the games. The Dalton contract shows you the real shortage of talent at QB in the NFL. It's a stunning contract for a mediocre player. Right now Manuel is worse than Dalton but if he isn't eventually better I'll be disappointed. When I say eventually I mean 2 years from now.

swiper
08-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Watkins will help but Manuel could have a young Jerry Rice at WR and not get 20 TD's if he's on the sidelines for half the games. The Dalton contract shows you the real shortage of talent at QB in the NFL. It's a stunning contract for a mediocre player. Right now Manuel is worse than Dalton but if he isn't eventually better I'll be disappointed. When I say eventually I mean 2 years from now.

I don't disagree with you, but it's hard to criticize Dalton too much as he is one of only three QBs in NFL history to throw more than 20 TDs in each of his first two seasons.

Bill Cody
08-05-2014, 09:02 AM
I don't disagree with you, but it's hard to criticize Dalton too much as he is one of only three QBs in NFL history to throw more than 20 TDs in each of his first two seasons.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The NFL has pretty much ruined the product I grew up with. It's pretty close to Arena league now. Those stats are literally meaningless. Dalton is kind of a frustrating guy to watch I'd imagine if you're a Bengals fan. He can make some absolutely brilliant throws, move the team up and down the field at times with ease. And then things get tense and he throws one up for grabs or he goes into a funk and can't find the ocean. It's possible he could take another step forward, not ruling it out, still a young player at a position it takes 5 years to master. But as of now my eyeballs say "mediocre".

IlluminatusUIUC
08-05-2014, 09:05 AM

EJ Manuel in 10 games, 28 sacks, 6 fumbles.
Andy Dalton in 16 games, 24 sacks, 5 fumbles.

Avoiding bad plays is also quite critical, especially in a rushing-based offense like ours.

justasportsfan
08-05-2014, 09:06 AM

I don't get how people say "well he played against 2-3rd stringers" . Don't forget that they also played WITH 2-3rd stringers.

justasportsfan
08-05-2014, 09:11 AM
We did, last year after Tuel had a phenomenal preseason, and he was terrible. We went through the competition aspect last year too.

and how many snaps did he have prior to playing with the 1st team? If EJ struggled with the first team in spite of having majority of his snaps with the 1st team , I'm not surprised to see an undrafted rookie struggle too.

However, EJ needs to keep playing since he has more upside than Tuel by a mile.

justasportsfan
08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
tuel, and pretty much any back up qb, gets a pass for the game they enter. they've been prepping the other offense all week and not running th enumber ones. maybe a seasoned guy who is ready to handle both ebcause he knows the teams system from several years would be able to fair better.
If EH gets a pass for being a rookie qb, Tuel gets a pass for being a rookie back-up

my issue with tuel is that his delivery seems to be so deliberate and long winded that he might be ok the first game or two, but then teams will have him solved. i also think he looks very small as a modern day qb. doesn't seem to have the size that will make him durable for a full season. and lastly i dont think he has november-december arm strength.. I'm more worried about EJ lasting an entire season than Tuel lasting.

i'd like to see ej get the first half and tuel get the second half in the next game. if EJ isn't moving forward, then the next game, EJ should get a quarter and if its more of the same, and tuel has done well with the scrubs, he should get the second quarter. and if tuel keeps looking like the better player, the negatives i feel above on tuel need to be cast aside and see him get a game in the preseason with the starters and see where his performance is.

One half is too much for EJ this soon. I would rather he gets a half in the last 2 preseason games. I would also rather have Tuel and Thad get 1 qtr each if EJ gets a half.

Buffalogic
08-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Said it all offseason, we need a veteran backup. EJ and the team as a whole would be better for it.

stuckincincy
08-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Said it all offseason, we need a veteran backup. EJ and the team as a whole would be better for it.

They could have acquired qb Jason Campbell for a figurative bag of NFL peanuts. He's no great thing, but he's been employed for 10 years by teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/407793/jason-campbell

Albany,n.y.
08-05-2014, 12:32 PM
Be honest...

Not if I saw him every day in practice & knew exactly what he is.

Every time we get a position question by a fan, I have to ask you to compare how much you've seen player X perform in practices like the coaches do. The answer is the coaches have seen these players strengths & weaknesses a lot more than we possibly can.

Buffalogic
08-05-2014, 01:24 PM
They could have acquired qb Jason Campbell for a figurative bag of NFL peanuts. He's no great thing, but he's been employed for 10 years by teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/407793/jason-campbellYup. Campbell, Vick, anyone with starting experience IMO. But people wanted to talk **** about Vick when we have absolutely nothing behind EJ. Kyle Orton? Hello. Figure it out front office.

stuckincincy
08-05-2014, 01:34 PM
I think Thad Lewis figured out things, and is itching to move on. He gets paid minimum scale so why not move on and hope for better money? He has to know that Manual has been annointed.

Bill Cody
08-05-2014, 01:39 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/407793/jason-campbell

I would take the bag of peanuts personally

stuckincincy
08-05-2014, 01:55 PM
I would take the bag of peanuts personally

That's fine, but Manuel isn't setting things on fire. You are left with Tuel, or Lewis who knows what's cooking. It was bad for the team that Kolb scrambled his brains at camp last season. They doled out $ for him, expecting to ease in Manual, I suppose.

There's something wrong with the ownership of the AFC East teams. NE is the only outfit that found a qb that has lasted.

kishoph
08-05-2014, 03:08 PM
I think it's far more important that Manuel gets as many reps as he can, then having someone "push" him. As a pro athlete, he should be able to motivate himself and if he can't then there are coaches to "push" him. IMO having someone behind you in competition is overrated and could also turn out to be detrimental, if you start worrying too much about making a mistake, because you might lose you starting position. I would like a veteran QB that Manuel could pick up some things from, but I don't think he needs one to motivate him.

k-oneputt
08-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Draft a qb every year until you find one who can actually play.
And whats wrong if you actually have two that can play in the league ? Right now we have zero.

Buffalo Thriller
08-05-2014, 09:27 PM
I've heard EJ stunk it up at camp tonight, while Tuel did well with the 1s.

kishoph
08-06-2014, 04:47 AM
I've heard EJ stunk it up at camp tonight, while Tuel did well with the 1s.

....and later on took a #2 which also stunk.
I believe (I hope) that you are being sarcastic. From watching the hi-lites EJ looked sharp, of course it's practice but he made some throws that I don't think he would of made or tried last year. The throw to Williams at the goal line is a laser right on target. I just don't see how some people are insisting that he has regressed. Of course we won't know until the games start to count, but I believe that we'll see a different EJ Manuel.

swiper
08-06-2014, 05:11 AM
On Manuel yesterday in practice:

That all but vanished on Tuesday outside a handful of instances, often times waiting too long for his read to come open. One of his biggest enemies has been standing back for too long and patting the ball, eventually settling for either the dump-off option or for a quarterback scramble. It’s borderline inexcusable to tuck the ball and run during a 7-on-7 drill where there is no pass rush, which is what Manuel has done on many occasions.

LINK (http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=419314)

Mike Rodak (https://twitter.com/mikerodak)✔ @mikerodak (https://twitter.com/mikerodak)

Bills back to their red zone struggles tonight. 4 sacks of Manuel in last 9 plays, not all against 1st D. He's holding ball too long.

Night Train
08-06-2014, 05:48 AM
I have zero problem putting in Tuel, if that's what it takes to win. Admit your mistakes and move on, if it comes to that. Other teams have done it quickly many times and won. Russell Wilson surprised Pete Carroll in Seattle the year before.

4 more pre-season games to get a feel for who moves this team better on O.

The D looks good and you don't wish to waste their good play.

Too many top skill players on O to let it go to waste by starting someone who cannot get them the ball.

I root for the laundry. If it's Manuel...good. If it's Tuel...good.

k-oneputt
08-06-2014, 08:37 AM
Wishful thinking N-Train.

There is no way the Dougies will do that an admit their mistake.

Night Train
08-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Wishful thinking N-Train.

There is no way the Dougies will do that an admit their mistake.

Marrone would.

Not so sure about Whaley and Brandon.