PDA

View Full Version : How Good Will The Bills Defense Be This Year?

BillsImpossible
08-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Very excited about this year's D.

This could be the best defense the Bills have had in a long time.

Stopping the run was a problem last year, but I don't think it's going to be a problem in 2014.

Did anyone else notice how big the Bills linebackers looked on Sunday?

Brandon Spikes, Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham are some big dudes.

6'2 255 lbs, 6'1 250 lbs and 6'2 241 lbs respectively.

Bill Belichick is pissed!

Looks like the linebackers have some good depth too, even with Kiko out for the season.

Remember how the Bills defense had a tendency to give up big plays on third and long last year?

If they can eliminate those big plays on third down, and stop the run...

Top 10 defense?

ServoBillieves
08-05-2014, 10:23 PM
All depends on health. I think that goes without saying, but this team has(d) it's holes all filled for the year on defense. An unquestionably elite D-line, 2 of your 3 linebackers being top-tier players, Gilmore and McLovin' on the outside, Robey in the slot when necessary, and Williams and Searcy in the back with Meeks/Duke ready to step in if needed. Losing Kiko is huge, but having decent depth behind makes it at least OK for now. One more LB goes down and it's a bit... eh...

I'd say top 10.

gebobs
08-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Middle of the road. 10th to 20th. I'll bet anyone two bits they don't finish higher. 200 bits even.

I'd say top 10.

You're on. What's your mark?

Fletch
08-06-2014, 03:06 AM
Very excited about this year's D.

This could be the best defense the Bills have had in a long time.

Stopping the run was a problem last year, but I don't think it's going to be a problem in 2014.

Did anyone else notice how big the Bills linebackers looked on Sunday?

Brandon Spikes, Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham are some big dudes.

6'2 255 lbs, 6'1 250 lbs and 6'2 241 lbs respectively.

Bill Belichick is pissed!

Looks like the linebackers have some good depth too, even with Kiko out for the season.

Remember how the Bills defense had a tendency to give up big plays on third and long last year?

If they can eliminate those big plays on third down, and stop the run...

Top 10 defense?

I noticed Preston Brown getting run over on just about every play. Didn't pay a whole lot more specific attention to the LBs.

I can't disagree more. Let's bookmark this thread and come back to it in the fall.

First of all we play better passing offenses than we did last season, so I'll factor that in. Much and many better RBs too. I expect both NE and the Jets' offenses to be better too.

Last season we were ranked 20th in PA, I expect that to get worse.

Last season we were ranked 28th in rushing yards allowed, I expect that to stay about the same.

Last season we were ranked 10th in passing yards allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 3rd in passer rating against us, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 7th in YPA allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 1st in completion % allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 2nd in sacks and INTs, I expect both of those to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 10th in total yards allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Our schedule last season was relatively weak in terms of the offenses that we played. Everyone had better factor that in when making predictions on this D. We'll be close to what the D was in 2012 this season than what it was last season.

The offense should improve slightly, should, but it won't be enough to offset the regression in the D.

I don't know why the high expectations, our back-7 is ridiculously weak in the passing department. No LBs capable of providing above average play against the pass, unproven play at one safety spot, I think we'll see a statistical regression in Aaron Williams that everyone will insist is because he's playing worse but will really be attributable to circumstances. McKelvin's not good as a CB and Gilmore while good, isn't great, and didn't improve as he should have last season.

So I'll disagree completely with your statement that this could be the best defense that we've had in a long time. I think that it won't be much better than our 2012 defense which ranked 22nd in yards and 26th in PA. People will attribute it to Schwartz, but the reality is that we just had an easy schedule of offensive teams last season.

Non-divisional scoring offenses faced last season: 6T, 6T, 10, 16, 18, 20, 25, 27, 30, 32 (Avg. 19th)

Last season's Non-divisional scoring offenses faced this season: 1, 2, 6, 8, 12, 13, 14, 24, 27, 31 (Avg. 14th)

New England's offense should be much better and so should the Jets'.

Topas
08-06-2014, 03:07 AM
I'd say 7-12th in DVOA of football outsiders. NFL rankings are useless. A 11 yard gain on 3rd and 12 is good for the defense. And DVOA accounts for that. NFL rankings say the defense gave up 11 yards.

> Bill Belichick is pissed!
I dont think so. After 2 series that is laughable. I think we have to temper our love for the D and also our hate for EJ. Its only two series. Lets see. But at least the D lookos encouraging, I agree on that.

By the way. Buf defense was fourth in DVOA last year. You can actually debate that ranking considering the huge chunk of running yards. But I think some of these numbers are due to the fact, that the offense could not stay on the field and the opposing O got lots of drives. I really think we will miss Pettine. Hopefully I am wrong.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 03:25 AM
I think we have to temper our love for the D and also our hate for EJ. Its only two series.

EJ's been the same for five seasons. The chances of him changing this season, not to mention that there's not even a shred of evidence suggesting that he will yet this preseason/camp, aren't good.

I really think we will miss Pettine. Hopefully I am wrong.

Pettine was overrated here because he had the benefit of an easy slate of offensive teams. The Pats last season were the weakest they've been under Brady since over a decade ago when Brady was first starting out. He's going to do a lot more with those same receivers this season.

Topas
08-06-2014, 03:57 AM
Pettine was overrated here because he had the benefit of an easy slate of offensive teams. The Pats last season were the weakest they've been under Brady since over a decade ago when Brady was first starting out. He's going to do a lot more with those same receivers this season.

I disagree. Let's see. As said I believe in DVOA, the ranking by footballoutsiders. It is not perfect, but way better what the NFL provides us with. It adjusts (among others) for strength of schedule. And it has the Bills D jumping from 27th in 2012 to 4th in 2013. So let's see if Pettine was overrated. I am happy to discuss this again at the end of the season. As said, I hope I am wrong.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 04:23 AM
We all want a winner.

Keep in mind too that DVOA, or any statistics, are all precipitated by the games played. If those games are easier than average it will reflect, even in DVOA.

For example, if a team played only the 13 worst teams in the league in a given season, DVOA's would be good, but it would be a reflection of an easy schedule. That's where DVOA data and other PFF and FO data falls short.

Topas
08-06-2014, 04:59 AM
Keep in mind too that DVOA, or any statistics, are all precipitated by the games played. If those games are easier than average it will reflect, even in DVOA.

Actually no. DVOA adjusts for strength of schedule. So if they play a very bad O they actually get penalized for their performance. If they play a very good O they get a boost in their rating. And it even differs between good Run-O and good pass-O. On a per play basis.
So actually that is one of the big benefits of DVOA.

better days
08-06-2014, 10:14 AM
I noticed Preston Brown getting run over on just about every play. Didn't pay a whole lot more specific attention to the LBs.

I can't disagree more. Let's bookmark this thread and come back to it in the fall.

First of all we play better passing offenses than we did last season, so I'll factor that in. Much and many better RBs too. I expect both NE and the Jets' offenses to be better too.

Last season we were ranked 28th in rushing yards allowed, I expect that to stay about the same.

Last season we were ranked 10th in passing yards allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 3rd in passer rating against us, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 7th in YPA allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 1st in completion % allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 2nd in sacks and INTs, I expect both of those to get significantly worse.

Last season we were ranked 10th in total yards allowed, I expect that to get significantly worse.

Our schedule last season was relatively weak in terms of the offenses that we played. Everyone had better factor that in when making predictions on this D. We'll be close to what the D was in 2012 this season than what it was last season.

The offense should improve slightly, should, but it won't be enough to offset the regression in the D.

I don't know why the high expectations, our back-7 is ridiculously weak in the passing department. No LBs capable of providing above average play against the pass, unproven play at one safety spot, I think we'll see a statistical regression in Aaron Williams that everyone will insist is because he's playing worse but will really be attributable to circumstances. McKelvin's not good as a CB and Gilmore while good, isn't great, and didn't improve as he should have last season.

So I'll disagree completely with your statement that this could be the best defense that we've had in a long time. I think that it won't be much better than our 2012 defense which ranked 22nd in yards and 26th in PA. People will attribute it to Schwartz, but the reality is that we just had an easy schedule of offensive teams last season.

Non-divisional scoring offenses faced last season: 6T, 6T, 10, 16, 18, 20, 25, 27, 30, 32 (Avg. 19th)

Last season's Non-divisional scoring offenses faced this season: 1, 2, 6, 8, 12, 13, 14, 24, 27, 31 (Avg. 14th)

Yes, let's bookmark this thread. I can't wait to throw it back in your face.

I would agree, some stats such as sacks will be down, but I expect the run defense to be MUCH IMPROVED.

I expect the defense to not spend as much time on the field because of good offensive play & also the ability of the defense to stop other teams from controlling the ball.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-06-2014, 11:32 AM
I think this team will be better at run defense and significantly worse on pass defense. Maybe if the DLine plays like men possessed then we can compensate for the lack of Byrd and Alonso, but I doubt it.

Well, that, and we play Manning, Brady, and Rodgers in the span of a month. If you still have Buffalo's D on your fantasy team at Thanksgiving, you're boned.

better days
08-06-2014, 12:51 PM
I think this team will be better at run defense and significantly worse on pass defense. Maybe if the DLine plays like men possessed then we can compensate for the lack of Byrd and Alonso, but I doubt it.

Well, that, and we play Manning, Brady, and Rodgers in the span of a month. If you still have Buffalo's D on your fantasy team at Thanksgiving, you're boned.

Well, that assumes Manning, Brady & Rodgers are all still healthy at that point.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Well, that assumes Manning, Brady & Rodgers are all still healthy at that point.

Well it also assumes Kyle, Mario, Spikes, etc are healthy too. Basically everybody is hanging their higher expectations for this season on Brandon Spikes, if he goes down then our D is screwed.

better days
08-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Well it also assumes Kyle, Mario, Spikes, etc are healthy too. Basically everybody is hanging their higher expectations for this season on Brandon Spikes, if he goes down then our D is screwed.

Agreed, but even if the Bills defense loses one of those players, the Bills defense will be better than the offense of any of those teams if the QB gets injured.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Actually no. DVOA adjusts for strength of schedule. So if they play a very bad O they actually get penalized for their performance. If they play a very good O they get a boost in their rating. And it even differs between good Run-O and good pass-O. On a per play basis.
So actually that is one of the big benefits of DVOA.

That's not really correct. What it does is performs a sort of or variation of a weighted average, for lack of a mores specific statistical term that's appropos here, based on circumstances. Very superfically, such as running play vs. pass play. More detailed of course, but that kind of circumstantial thing. At least that's my understanding. Also, keep in mind that this is FO's MO, that does not make that method indisputable. It's kind of like QB rating.

Either way, and not to get hung up on the nuances of DVOAs, I'll defer to you and insist that even using DVOAs the defense will be worse as I described it.

We'll see. I just don't see us playing equally, much less better, against teams the likes of which we played poorly last season. We just play more of them now.

Remember, it's a passing league and we were just stripped of our two biggest players against the pass in the back-7, Alonso by injury and Byrd by free agency.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Agreed, but even if the Bills defense loses one of those players, the Bills defense will be better than the offense of any of those teams if the QB gets injured.

They won't be all world, but the Packers and Broncos offenses are still packed with talent even without those guys. The Packers put up 30+ twice with Matt Flynn at the helm last year.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Yes, let's bookmark this thread. I can't wait to throw it back in your face.

I would agree, some stats such as sacks will be down, but I expect the run defense to be MUCH IMPROVED.

I expect the defense to not spend as much time on the field because of good offensive play & also the ability of the defense to stop other teams from controlling the ball.

Well, OK, I don't care too much about throwing anything in your face, just saying, let's see how things develop and compare.

I think you're overrating the run D. Spikes is the only proven run defender. We're also assuming, a bad assumption, that the team leaves him in there on 3rd-downs, which they may be forced to do simply because we have no other better pass D LBs, but if they do take him out routinely or even semi-routinely, 3rd-down runs by opponents will probably be very effective.

Either way, Spikes in, Alonso out, seems to be sort of a wash to me.

better days
08-06-2014, 01:31 PM
They won't be all world, but the Packers and Broncos offenses are still packed with talent even without those guys. The Packers put up 30+ twice with Matt Flynn at the helm last year.

I agree about the Packers, but Denver lost Knowshon Marino & Eric Decker.

And thanks to Manning's high cap number, Denver lost a number of other players as well.

And Brock Osweiler & Zac Dysert are Manning's back ups. I doubt anyone will confuse either of them for Peyton.

better days
08-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Well, OK, I don't care too much about throwing anything in your face, just saying, let's see how things develop and compare.

I think you're overrating the run D. Spikes is the only proven run defender. We're also assuming, a bad assumption, that the team leaves him in there on 3rd-downs, which they may be forced to do simply because we have no other better pass D LBs, but if they do take him out routinely or even semi-routinely, 3rd-down runs by opponents will probably be very effective.

Well, I think you are under rating the Bills run Defense.

Did you watch the first two series in the HOF game?

I agree the loss of Kiko hurts, but he was on the field while the Bills were gashed last year although I think Pettine's defense had a lot to do with that.

I think the Bills will give Spikes the chance to play on 3rd down & he will have to play himself out of that down.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-06-2014, 01:40 PM
If, and its a big one considering the injury history of this team over the past 15 years, that first team D stays healthy then it could carry this team on its back. However, if this team is once again plagued by injury this season, its anyone's guess as there is a huge drop off between the starters and the backups.

better days
08-06-2014, 01:50 PM
If, and its a big one considering the injury history of this team over the past 15 years, that first team D stays healthy then it could carry this team on its back. However, if this team is once again plagued by injury this season, its anyone's guess as there is a huge drop off between the starters and the backups.

Well, if you remove every starter & replace them en mass with back ups, I agree, but I think the Bills back ups are good enough to give the starters a blow every once in a while.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Well, if you remove every starter & replace them en mass with back ups, I agree, but I think the Bills back ups are good enough to give the starters a blow every once in a while.

I'm talking about the massive bug that takes out like 4 to 6 starters for a month or more almost every season.

Fletch
08-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Is that a joke?

Moreno is a very mediocre RB. I'm sure that Ball will do at least what he did. Then there's Hillman, who's more than Bryce Brown is or ever was. Meanwhile, over here, Brown is supposed to replace Jackson. Sure.

Emmanuel Sanders shouldn't have too much difficulty doing about what Decker did. Then there's Cody Lattimer. What, only our rookies will contribute to their teams?

IlluminatusUIUC
08-06-2014, 04:22 PM

And thanks to Manning's high cap number, Denver lost a number of other players as well.

The only player Denver lost over money was Dumervil, and that was because of a fax machine snafu. All the other players they've lost have been because they went in a different direction. DRC -> Talib, Ayers -> Ware, Beadles -> Vasquez, Decker -> Sanders, Adams -> Ward, etc. Denver has been very aggressive about signing free agents - which makes sense seeing as their championship window is only Manning-sized.

That said, he's one of the least-sacked QBs of all time, and the one season he missed were the only games he's ever missed.

And Brock Osweiler & Zac Dysert are Manning's back ups. I doubt anyone will confuse either of them for Peyton.

There are only a handful of QBs in NFL history who wouldn't be a dropoff from Peyton Manning.

better days
08-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Is that a joke?

Moreno is a very mediocre RB. I'm sure that Ball will do at least what he did. Then there's Hillman, who's more than Bryce Brown is or ever was. Meanwhile, over here, Brown is supposed to replace Jackson. Sure.

Emmanuel Sanders shouldn't have too much difficulty doing about what Decker did. Then there's Cody Lattimer. What, only our rookies will contribute to their teams?

Well, as long as Peyton is at QB, I don't think the Broncos will have any problems, but we were talking about if Peyton goes down.

Every time I say a young guy might produce for the Bills I am told he is UNPROVEN. And while Ball looked good in the last 8 games last year, he had Peyton at QB.

With Osweiler or Dysert at QB, I would expect a Safety in the box on a regular basis & Balls average to drop like rock.

I was just pointing out the Broncos lost some players in the offseason, but the biggest loss would be Manning if he gets injured because unlike the Packers, the Broncos have nobody to step in & win games.

kishoph
08-07-2014, 04:48 AM

I didn't think it would be possible, but I expect your post "to get significantly worse" as the season goes on. Find a new shtick, this one's getting old.

Mad Max
08-07-2014, 08:44 AM
How good they would be in a bubble? Top 10. But a lot depends on our offense. If it's offensive then the defense is going to be giving up tons of second half points as they get gassed by being on the field extensively.

Fletch
08-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Well, as long as Peyton is at QB, I don't think the Broncos will have any problems, but we were talking about if Peyton goes down.

Every time I say a young guy might produce for the Bills I am told he is UNPROVEN. And while Ball looked good in the last 8 games last year, he had Peyton at QB.

With Osweiler or Dysert at QB, I would expect a Safety in the box on a regular basis & Balls average to drop like rock.

I was just pointing out the Broncos lost some players in the offseason, but the biggest loss would be Manning if he gets injured because unlike the Packers, the Broncos have nobody to step in & win games.

So if I understand this correctly you're comparing other teams' backups to our starter?

When people such as myself, and presumably I speak for other knowledgeable football fans, talk about "unproven," what we mean is proven at any level.

Manuel was not proven at FSU. It's well documented that he struggled there and that the coaches had to dumb down the system and essentially gave up on trying to coach him up.

Contrast that with Luck who came to the NFL fully proven at the NCAA level. Or hell, even Boyd, while only partially proven in a non-NFL style system is still more proven than Manuel. He's much shorter and doesn't have the athletic traits that we're told are so valuable in Manuel, but he did a whole lot more in college.

Marrone, despite the insistence of many here that going .500 over 4 seasons and eking into a newly created bottom level bowl was proven, was also not proven. Lovie Smith is proven. 9 seasons, only three losing seasons, three trips to the playoffs and one trip to the Super Bowl.

Jauron was not proven. Levy had zero credentials as a GM. Nix's resume was flimsy as was Gailey's. So is Whaley's when group decisions of his past teams have be assumed were his. Hackett wouldn't ever even be in the NFL if it were not for his relationship with Marrone.

Eagles hire Chip Kelly who took his college team to the college championship once and compiled a 46-7 record over four seasons going to a major bowl game every season. We hire Marrone and are told he's essentially the same thing.

Whatever

Fletch
08-07-2014, 09:52 AM
I didn't think it would be possible, but I expect your post "to get significantly worse" as the season goes on. Find a new shtick, this one's getting old.

LOL

You know what gets old, are the opinions of people such as yourself that are based on nothing yet that you insist are factual.

This isn't a "schtick," it's called a prediction, or an assessment. It's what I really think.

Let me ask you, what if at the end of the season it's correct and unfolds as such? What then? I mean are you going to tell us all that you had absolutely no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this team?

Here's what I see happening if it happens, is you making up every excuse in the book to not look the homer that you are.

Bookmarked, ... we'll back to this. Curious what your answers to the above questions are though, if you have the courage to answer them honestly and straightforwardly that is.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL

You know what gets old, are the opinions of people such as yourself that are based on nothing yet that you insist are factual.

This isn't a "schtick," it's called a prediction, or an assessment. It's what I really think.

Let me ask you, what if at the end of the season it's correct and unfolds as such? What then? I mean are you going to tell us all that you had absolutely no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this team?

Here's what I see happening if it happens, is you making up every excuse in the book to not look the homer that you are.

Bookmarked, ... we'll back to this. Curious what your answers to the above questions are though, if you have the courage to answer them honestly and straightforwardly that is.

Fletch
08-07-2014, 09:55 AM
How good they would be in a bubble? Top 10. But a lot depends on our offense. If it's offensive then the defense is going to be giving up tons of second half points as they get gassed by being on the field extensively.

Yes, but many people here ignore those same signs and indicators that you cite above in insisting that last season's D was much better than it really was.

At the end of the day a defense is only as good as the points and TDs that it allows. We ranked 20th in PA and 20th in passing TDs allowed, one TD off of being in a 7-way tie for 7th worst in the league.

Most people don't have the wherewithal to ask themselves how this can be reconciled against our 2nd rankings in Sacks and INTs much less the curiosity to find out.

better days
08-07-2014, 12:15 PM
LOL

- - - Updated - - -

LOL

You know what gets old?

Your long diatribes which are total BS then having them twice on the same post.

alohabillsfan
12-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Considered this bookmarked, and you couldn't of been more WRONG!!!!

The following is Fletch's Defense analysis! ROFL

YardRat
12-01-2014, 03:01 PM
fixed the quote

YardRat
12-01-2014, 03:03 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IOt2iw-7n6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

better days
12-01-2014, 03:45 PM

Well, I was right about the run Defense.

But I was wrong about the Offense.

Hackett just SUCKS.

Fletch
12-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Well, I was right about the run Defense.

But I was wrong about the Offense.

Hackett just SUCKS.

It's definitely looking that way. We're going to take a hit the next few weeks in rankings and the like though, but agree, it won't match most of those.

justasportsfan
12-01-2014, 10:21 PM

:roflmao:

Night Train
12-02-2014, 05:37 AM
This just in. The D is much better than last year and carrying this team.

justasportsfan
12-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Bump.

:snicker:

Mr. Miyagi
12-04-2014, 11:38 AM
No reason to rub the guy's face in, even if he deserves it.

Fletch is an eternal negative nancy. Of course he predicted everything to be worse.

However he could earn some respect by admitting that he was wrong and this D is absolutely elite this season.

chris66
12-04-2014, 12:06 PM
I wouldnt call this D elite. It beats up on the sisters of the poor and gets raped by good offenses.
SD and NE gave that d a pretty goodvthumping. I expect Denver and GB to do the same

gebobs
12-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Middle of the road. 10th to 20th. I'll bet anyone two bits they don't finish higher.
Thankfully, no one took my bet. They are firmly in the top 10. And stopped Manning's TD pass streak. They are a lot better than I thought they would be.

better days
12-08-2014, 07:59 PM
I wouldnt call this D elite. It beats up on the sisters of the poor and gets raped by good offenses.
SD and NE gave that d a pretty goodvthumping. I expect Denver and GB to do the same

Of course you wouldn't call this defense elite.

You are a fan of the N.E. CHEATERS.